The online racing simulator
Racing Line affects Grip
(47 posts, started )
Racing Line affects Grip
i read a article abt comparison of racing simulators on wiki recently..
and realize that in live for speed racing line does not affects grip.. which is quite...well.. unreal..
normal racing line should have more grip as cars drives over it (more car drives over it = more rubber = more grip)... the "Dirty" line provides a opportunity for overtaking...but there should be risks for locking up the brakes as there are less rubber on the dirty line..... i reli hope to see this improvement in the near feature...
excellent suggestion +1

really would change how overtaking goes :P
Yup, it's a big thing missing from LFS, so +1 from me (p.s. I am SURE it's been mentioned before though)
I can definitely see this lacking in Kyoto +1
I agree with this, as long as the difference in grip is not unrealistically large.

Do you guys think marbles (little chunks of rubber found off racing line that act like ball bearings) should also be included? I think marbles would be difficult to model and computationally expensive if they are done as individual particles.
Wrong post, sorry
+1, good suggestion.
Definitly seems like something good. Id go for it just hope lag doesnt effect the build up or anything like that.
+1
+1

Good suggestion.
+1

Would feel more realistic (I hope we will not get too close to F1 -> No overtaking on track when sun shines/track dry)
Am... I was thinking about this question too after I read wiki coupla weeks ago. But never thought it would be a good idea - thought it would make it more realistic

It would be lovely to have extreme weathers in LFS as discussed on another thread - RAIN or something like that - Driving on a wet track and different tire types.

Car damages aren't realistic either
+1
Great idea, but there is a downside with it -
It would create mayhem in T1 when everyone is everywhere, and when someone is trying a late braking outside the idle line they would end up sliding or not beeing able to brake in the corner, and it would cause a pilup
#15 - -M-
It would be great.
Maybe the hotlap spr files will be bigger I can imagine people doing laps and laps to maximize grip, then change their tyres and try to do a fast lap
Online racing would be more interesting... Fastest line should not be always the same because all people doesn't drive in the same line, so in each server the rubber will be in different zones... Looks funny
Maybe it can be an option of no resetting trak grip when restarting race also.
And of course it would be interesting to have less grip when someone get back in the track with dirty tyres, or when someone crash and lets a bit of oil in the track (OK, we will need first more realistic damage and more flag types, but dreaming is free).
And when we talk about the rubber, it should be implented that if you spin on the gras right outside the track, there would be a big possibility that some of the grass would ended up in the racing line, and that would decrease the grip where the rubber is a lot.

But thats probally planned allready, just me that are too lazy to search
#17 - Woz
Actually is has come up many many times before both here and rsc. But yep

+1

We already have visible racing line so it should be able to piggyback off that code.
I swear that it did increase the grip from S1, but that might be an illusion.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I swear that it did increase the grip from S1, but that might be an illusion.

So you saying that it was implented before?
Maybe it was, but they desded to take it back, and improve it?
I don`t know, because I can`t remember that there was anything like that in S1 :S Well, but as I said, maybe they are improving it, new codes and stuff to S3, but would be fun to hear what the DEV`s think about this.
I dunno, it might have been my imagination, but I swear that it did make a certain difference.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I dunno, it might have been my imagination, but I swear that it did make a certain difference.

It didn't, it was your imagination. It might have made it easier to pick the fast racing line though.
Good suggestion of course, but it's vital that it's done right first time.

Any part of the track used regularly must become clean/rubbered, not just the racing line. The inside into t1 at BL1 or FE1, for example, would be virtually as grippy as the racing line, considering the use it gets.

Then we'd need some kind of track state information, or a "time passed between sessions" indicator in conjunction with a full race weekend simulation and stored track state info. Perhaps time passed between sessions could be a server option, so a league race happening immediately after the qual session, could be happening the day after in LFS. Whilst a public server could run races that happen one after another in LFS too.

Tracks in dustier environments like Fern Bay would be more affected, and wind would have an effect too.

Certainly not as simple as clean line, dirty line, and if it's done to the exaggerated extent that the dirty tyres initially were, it wouldn't be much fun at all.
GTR's faked 'LiveTrack Techology' did exactly this - the racing line (a predefined line, not based at all on racing lines used) got grippier relative to the outside of the track.

It was considered groundbreaking by many reviewers. Ground breakingly bad though, as a lot of the 'default, pre-defined' lines were wrong, and the effect wasn't realistic at all. People on the GTR forum loved it, as they believe anything you tell them (e.g. GTR is realistic).
During a downpour the difference would decrease until after the rain, then the marbles would slowly build up again (or quickly build up if all cars are on softs) - Also as mentioned, the difference should not be too severe, and should increase towards the end of a race.
Quote from sinbad :

Then we'd need some kind of track state information, or a "time passed between sessions" indicator in conjunction with a full race weekend simulation and stored track state info. Perhaps time passed between sessions could be a server option, so a league race happening immediately after the qual session, could be happening the day after in LFS. Whilst a public server could run races that happen one after another in LFS too.

It would be good to save the grip and let it build up over time on the server. Although then it would change each server you go on and you may have to use a different racing line, even though it is the same track.

Unless there is a way for it to be saved on the master LFS server and then downloaded and updated on to each individual server.

Then you could also incorporate track wear and tear on the Tarmac and get dips and potholes in the track - and then maybe new bits of resurfacing on the track and different bits of track vary with grip depending on how new or old they are.

Racing Line affects Grip
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG