The online racing simulator
Quote from srdsprinter :In essence, the CTRA points system does nothing but propagate what is wrong with LFS: It encourages, nay rewards, drivers to push beyond their limits to get a fast lap(at the expense of maintaining control of their car. I.E. The whole car reset debacle).

As usual, I really don't see this happening.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :As usual, I really don't see this happening.

You don't see people recieving points after being beaten by drivers who don't recieve points?

Edit:

As usual - meaning this is not the case >50% of the time
-or-
As usual - meaning the on-going differences in viewpoints we exchange

?
Quote from srdsprinter :You don't see people recieving points after being beaten by drivers who don't recieve points?

Correct.

Quote :As usual - meaning the on-going differences in viewpoints we exchange ?

Also correct.
It's possible that you do get points for the fastest lap, regardless of where you finish, but a) I haven't seen it happen, which means it must not happen all that often and b) you certainly don't get as many points as you would for placing well.
I blame SparkyMarcoD. He ate my Cake!
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Correct.

Also correct.

Well, I can tell you I have seen it happen on multiple occasions, and I haven't put That much time into CTRA as yet.

"CTRA: Everything Else Is Pointless" is such a ridiculous and overblown claim, that it really is disappointing to see that CTRA does nothing to reward clean driving.
I guess you missed the pun in the "Everything else is pointless" ad.
#58 - DeKo
Kinda off topic, but still. Was on the SS server just now, won the race by a fair bit, it was fine on the LFS results page, but according to $results, i didnt exist, didnt finish the race and didnt get any points . Checked the 'myctra' page just now and i actually didnt get any points. Just thought i would report this.

I have the replay saved, if it helps.
Todd, Srd, I'm not here for an argument. I wanted to try to challenge you to go faster and start to see the points.

The points issue really doesn't matter to me - I want the clean racing, and if the points come while I'm doing that then great. If the CTRA-X system wasn't here there wouldn't be any points. I'm seeing it as I'm getting clean racing first and foremost, and there's an added bonus of points. I really can't understand why it's such an issue.

Oh, and Deadwolf - I knew that didn't look quite right just after hitting Post Reply.
Quote from StableX :I blame SparkyMarcoD. He ate my Cake!

By the looks of your driving today you ate it all and it was spacecake
Quote from DeKo :I have the replay saved, if it helps.

Thanks - it's been noted. Please keep hold of the replay for now in case it's needed.
Quote from Christofire :

The points issue really doesn't matter to me - I want the clean racing, and if the points come while I'm doing that then great. If the CTRA-X system wasn't here there wouldn't be any points.

THankfully for me, CTRA is here and any free time I do have, I spend playing LFS on CTRA rather thasn other games. Why? For two reasons.

1. I love the points style career mode system and strive to get better and get the next license in the list.
2. The races are cleaner than other servers.
I had some thoughts typed up, which I failed to finish before jumping on the servers tonight. But after racing a couple of hours, I do believe things are beginning to change. I know this topic states single seat servers, but the same was with the tin tops on the Bronze server. After many races, I was indeed seeing more and more people acquiring points for their finishes. The server wasn't very heavily populated beings in US times, but top 3 finishes were receiving adequate points for podiums, IMO (I saw 20 points for winners, 16 for 2nd, etc.) and the points were spreading down through 7th place. After 7th place or so, the racers were indeed running quite slow laptimes.

I do believe it needs some time and you will see how it is suppose to go. As you improve your racing, you will move up in both the finish grid and in your laptimes, while other newbies join in to take over the slots of the slow racer.

I say give it some time to let it stretch it's legs yet. The system is only a week old tomorrow.
Quote from Leadtail :So not only do you have to be a race god to get points now you also have to be a setup genius? I have watched plenty of replays of WR times, and if the damage system was up to par most of those cars would not last half a lap the way they through them over the curbs, not along the tires staying on.

Lots of competent silver and above standard drivers score points, just because you dont does not mean the system is wrong, you are simply not currently living up to the requirements of a silver standard driver.

Quote :Sorry but there has been more than one person post how they have seen one guy run a fast lap, but finish next to last and still get points. How does that teach some one race craft? Teaches hotlapping just fine though.

It is possible to get 1 or 2 pts with a fast lap and a middling position, it is possible to get 1 or 2 pts with a win and middling pace. What isnt possible, is to explain to LFS racers that being not just off the pace, but extremely slow, isnt tier 2 standard driving - because they have not been on tier 2 or if they where they only focused on themselves.

Quote :What I would like too see is a driver earn points for positions he finishes, which will teach him race craft, but not be able to move to the next server until he/she can run the required lap time.

This is exactly how it works, ironically.

Quote from srdsprinter :[sarcasm] Maybe the problem is not with CTRA. Maybe, the problem is with real racing rewarding finishing position? [/sarcasm]

Maybe the problem is still with drivers who run 120% of the pace expecting the CTRA to grant them a rite of passage? Have you any idea how slow some of these people are? Yet they want a tier 2 licence...

Quote :In essence, the CTRA points system does nothing but propagate what is wrong with LFS: It encourages, nay rewards, drivers to push beyond their limits to get a fast lap(at the expense of maintaining control of their car. I.E. The whole car reset debacle).

Bollocks. If you dont finish well you dont get points. If you dont drive quickly you dont get points. You need to do BOTH to score points in the CTRA, although for both position and pace the margin is quite high. Those whos driving is so slow that I can outpace them with my broken pedals have focused on the pace, forgetting that they also need position, and they do so because their pace is consistently short - but sometimes they luck into a position.

Quote :Thought:
The system should reward the drivers within the 106% speed unless they are beaten by a driver outside the 106% hotlap.

No, drivers who are really slow just aren't ready for tier 2. Only drivers who drive really slow believe they are justified in having a place there and think the system is wrong for not giving it to them.

Quote from DeKo :according to $results, i didnt exist

My guess is you will see X-System initialising around the time of the race exit. It sounds like X-Monitor caught a crash and you where unlucky enough to finish a race during the time that it relaunched. Sorry about that, i'm still working on the bugs - not easy when so much time is wasted on other things.
Quote from Christofire :Todd, Srd, I'm not here for an argument. I wanted to try to challenge you to go faster and start to see the points.

The points issue really doesn't matter to me - I want the clean racing, and if the points come while I'm doing that then great..

I don't think of this as an argument just a discusion of different points of veiw. And I agree with you that the CTRA servers are the cleanest. But there is still quite a bit of crashing on the first teir, Which is why I was trying so hard to get my silver so I could move up to the cleaner more pro server. Thats why this is so frustrating. So close but now so far. I guess I should have put in a couple of more races before shutdown.
OH Well!!
#66 - DeKo
Quote from Becky Rose :My guess is you will see X-System initialising around the time of the race exit. It sounds like X-Monitor caught a crash and you where unlucky enough to finish a race during the time that it relaunched. Sorry about that, i'm still working on the bugs - not easy when so much time is wasted on other things.

Ah right yeah, makes sense. Because the next finisher was some 40 seconds behind, it would have been running by then. Thanks for explaining, its not really a huge problem .
Quote from DeKo :I may have been imagining things, but on that server im sure i saw cones being blown away, and somebody else did aswell. am i going mad?

LOL at turn one right? I was right behind you when they attacked me LOL!!!

But yeah I really wanna do Fern Bay again with those high winds lmao. And the turn 1 straw patch has GOT to go. Too many turn 1 accidents from everyone squeezing in.
Just spent some time on the SS server, and BOY is it tough to get points, even finishing 1st, 2nd or 3rd out of about 10-12 racers gives 1 or no points.

If we are indeed working on the basis of pace and position = points, then maybe we need to look at capping the wind, because 32mph wind on Westhill international in the FOX REALLY affects the laptimes.
Attached an screenshot of a race on the single seater server. Was a full server where I waited for someone to spec before I could join. The joined, raced one race then the screenshot is from the 2nd one.

It was not a super clean race and the slower cars (slower than me at least!) were bumping or clipping cars as well as not moving out the way. As a result the lap times were down yet a clean race with no crashing.

I come in 3rd and very pleased with that too.......

Then find out I dont get a point. I just dont think thats fair. In single seater racing particularly the race wins ARE about position.

How many racers so far have the required points to move to the next level in SS racing on CTRA?>
Attached images
sspoints.jpg
Quote from danowat :Just spent some time on the SS server, and BOY is it tough to get points, even finishing 1st, 2nd or 3rd out of about 10-12 racers gives 1 or no points.

If we are indeed working on the basis of pace and position = points, then maybe we need to look at capping the wind, because 32mph wind on Westhill international in the FOX REALLY affects the laptimes.

agreed too.... you couldn't go flat out on the straight due to the wind so even if you raced your socks off, you wont get a point due to the wind!
#72 - Jakg
Quote from StableX :How many racers so far have the required points to move to the next level in SS racing on CTRA?>

19 have the "National B" license, one has "National A", so thats 20
Quote from Jakg :19 have the "National B" license, one has "National A", so thats 20

Well no need to open thse SS 2 any time soon. Better stick on SS1 for now
@StableX, that screenshot shows you 3 seconds off the fastest lap, and i've no idea how far off the CTRA record but judging by the person who won and got fastest lap only getting 5pts, i'd say the record was a good few seconds faster still.
Quote from Becky Rose :@StableX, that screenshot shows you 3 seconds off the fastest lap, and i've no idea how far off the CTRA record but judging by the person who won and got fastest lap only getting 5pts, i'd say the record was a good few seconds faster still.

exactly, as I said, loads of bumps and bangs but still coming in 3rd should get you at least a point shouldn't it???? that way at least you are rewarded for completing a full server race in 3rd place..........

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG