The online racing simulator
Great stuff, had a lot of fun and good racing. No idea if it has been suggested before, but here I go, not enough tome left for me to read the entire topic:

-Bump&Jump server: awsome racing, adventurous but... have a permanent admin online please, it too bad also lures wreckers and not always has the right racers racing at it.

-But a filter also on French, German, Dutch and Finnish swearing please.

GC
I think the name, bump and jump, gives the wrong impression to people.

Makes you think of banger racing and from reading about it on the CTRA page it isn't supposed to be banger racing but a place to race on auto-cross layouts.

p.s. Thanks for all the obvious hard work you guys have put in, very nice. Makes an excellent addition to LFS.
Less bump more jump
A little consideration to make on the spectator places.

Server kicks you after spectating x minutes without racing.

It should take in consideration not only the time specatating but also the fact if the race is full. Dont think at present the system can see if i want to join but cant?

And no point in kicking spectators as not all places on server are filled. Dont know if thats taken in the considerations.
Quote from GianniC :Great stuff, had a lot of fun and good racing. No idea if it has been suggested before, but here I go, not enough tome left for me to read the entire topic:

-Bump&Jump server: awsome racing, adventurous but... have a permanent admin online please, it too bad also lures wreckers and not always has the right racers racing at it.

-But a filter also on French, German, Dutch and Finnish swearing please.

GC

Thanks for the feedback!

We can't do the 24/7 admin, unfortunately, not least because I'm about to go to a UKCT party where I intend to get very drunk but also because I'm headed off for a 2 week tour of Europe soon after that. The other admins are also fairly busy or recovering from getting the system out there.

Nope, the admins in the server are you guys. Using the new reporting system it's easy to identify the culprit and report 'em. Please do so, and when we can we'll address the reports. You can file and track the progress of your report using $rep in the server, and you can also watch your submitted reports on your MYCTRA page on the website

PS: feel free to swear at me in as many different languages as you like by PM, and I'll get the words into the filter. Importantly, we aren't actually anti-swearing. Our swear-filter tries to target directed abuse, so a little info on what each one means will help us structure the filter best
We do have some German btw, and the one word of Swedish that I know...

The thing about the Bump & Jump server, is it is a bit banger - we just didnt call it that because in LFS the word banger translates as wrecking. Some layouts are more suited to racing - some really dont give you any choice. The important thing is it is supposed to be a place to relax and have fun.

Whilst admining the reports we draw the line at forcing people into walls, and classic wrecking mentality (full throttle T1, reverse driving (layout accepting) and waiting for a car and moving forward etc).
I have to say that the system is really good, but all of this effort is ruined by people driving like ****s in the single seater servers, I just have to say that the average level of racers is too low, almost everyone tries to overtake in places that there is no place to squeeze the car, the overlap rule appears to be inexistent, and if you start from the 5th place below in the start grid you'll have I'll say 75% chances of being hit, maybe this could be avoided if the tracks were a little bit longer, also if there were longer tracks a lot more people could participate, but as it is now you are lucky if you get to the starting "greed".
One thing I have noticed is that the servers don't seem to notice swearing if it's posted using a bind.

Also, I've said great job already, but there's one thing that's annoying me at the moment: The entry-level Copper and Bronze server is constantly filled by Silver and Gold licensed drivers. Since these guys are generally better, it's hard for me and others to advance. I'm the kind of driver who isn't setting fastest laps, but is consistent and takes advantage of other drivers' mistakes.
Reading the first post makes me think this could be one of THE historic moments in LFS history. I congratulate and thank everybody who is involved in the creation of this project. Well done indeed!
Well now I'll have more servers to avoid...

No offense but the people in the XFG/XRG servers drive like a bunch of mentally challenged people. Not only do they ram just to get a position but they won't even check to see if your behind them, they will just move over, smash into you, take themselves and you out, and keep driving off like nothing happened. And to make it worse the $rep thing doesn't even work for reporting. I have an Email address set up already and I can't even send a report because APPARENTLY my email doesn't have CO.UK at the end of it. So the server is biased towards americans...
So it seems to so far that the only negative thing about the servers are the ordinary LFS'ing public? Seems like your looking the wrong thread to blame in :/
Quote from Jakg :So it seems to so far that the only negative thing about the servers are the ordinary LFS'ing public? Seems like your looking the wrong thread to blame in :/

Well im sorry for a complaint then. I guess I should pretend that every LFS driver is not going to run me off the road or cuss and swear at me in german or something and start attacking me ingame?

Sorry for being a f**king american. I didn't choose my county.
may not be a good place to put this, but i know the admins look at this topic? Is there a reason im getting refused connection? Im assuming that if somebody had reported something about me it would appear on my myctra page, but it still says "here are no reports against you," and theres no admin messages either.

Thanks.
OK, so there are now posts from people who have raced on all three server tiers saying the driving is no good. Well, that's because it's being driven on by the LFS community - many of whome are new looking at the number of new licences we are getting, people havnt read the rules that they agreed too, or didnt care much about them, or dont believe they are a problem and a mennace.

All I have to say to that is, the only thing we can do to counter poor drivers is act on reports. Like every other server in LFS we are only as good as our community, and we want to help make the community a better place, not a bitter place.

We have given you the tools, we have NOT limited the reporting function to those with a .co.uk address. I myself use a .com. Now i'm quite happy to look into whatever problem you are having in solving your problem in raising reports, but first you need to realise that the whole world is not out to get America and Americans, and that just because you are living up to a stereotype does not mean i'm going to think less of you.

Now, i've looked up your licence details and your first, last and email addresses are not filled in. The reporting system [soon] will send emails [atm it doesnt send them], hense we ask for an email to raise a report. You can fill this in on the $ctra screen. Is there a problem with doing this, a bug? Or would you rather not fill it in? If you dont want to fill it in, thats fine you can race on the servers - but you wont be able to raise reports.

This does not mean we are prejudicing Americans, it just means that we decided not to take reports from drivers we cant contact.

As things are working out we may drop the requirement anyway, now that we have our web back end and the MyCTRA section i'm beginning to wonder if email is necessary for us.

Quote :Is there a reason im getting refused connection? Im assuming that if somebody had reported something about me it would appear on my myctra page,

I'm not 100% sure that the MyCTRA page is showing reports against, or if it is then it's apparently not very clear. I will look into your details and PM you of whether there is anything of consequence.
Quote from GruntOfAction :Well im sorry for a complaint then. I guess I should pretend that every LFS driver is not going to run me off the road or cuss and swear at me in german or something and start attacking me ingame?

It's OK, we've all had some of that GOA and can understand your frustration.

Don't forget though, that Sam and Becky have effectivley built in 24/7 admin cover into all of the CTRA servers by creating the new $report system. If you're not familiar with it or how it works, check out the CTRA website (here: http://www.raceauthority.com/help.asp) or maybe start a new $report thread where we can all discuss how it works.

Really, the best thing to do, if this kind of thing happens again, is to use the reporting system. If we all do this, the wreckers and swearers will very quickly disappear from the servers. We no longer have to rely on an admin being present on the server to sort this kind of stuff out.

Having said that, I read recently somewhere else (can't remember where though - sorry ) that they still have to load the database with swear words in other languages and that the reporting system itself is still not quite fully functional. However I don't think it will be too long before you can effectively report someone in-game with just a few mouse clicks.

Taking advantage of this new system is probably the quickest way to clean up the CTRA servers.

EDIT: sorry, I was typing at the same as Becky ^^^
Quote from Becky Rose :I'm not 100% sure that the MyCTRA page is showing reports against, or if it is then it's apparently not very clear. I will look into your details and PM you of whether there is anything of consequence.

Thanks for the PM, but since i cant PM you back, i have to post here. Is there any way to find out the length of time that the ban will last?

Thanks.

Also, to go back on-topic, i completely disagree with the myth that the driving standard is poor. Sure theres the odd accident, and theres me being a fanny on B+J, but overall the driving is actually very good. Over the past few days on the SS server ive had brilliant battles with a few people, and generally people under blue flag have used the head and like not obstructed people. Yeah theres the odd muppet, but its usually brilliant.
Quote from dungbeetle :It's OK, we've all had some of that GOA and can understand your frustration.

Don't forget though, that Sam and Becky have effectivley built in 24/7 admin cover into all of the CTRA servers by creating the new $report system. If you're not familiar with it or how it works, check out the CTRA website (here: http://www.raceauthority.com/help.asp) or maybe start a new $report thread where we can all discuss how it works.

Really, the best thing to do, if this kind of thing happens again, is to use the reporting system. If we all do this, the wreckers and swearers will very quickly disappear from the servers. We no longer have to rely on an admin being present on the server to sort this kind of stuff out.

Having said that, I read recently somewhere else (can't remember where though - sorry ) that they still have to load the database with swear words in other languages and that the reporting system itself is still not quite fully functional. However I don't think it will be too long before you can effectively report someone in-game with just a few mouse clicks.

Taking advantage of this new system is probably the quickest way to clean up the CTRA servers.

EDIT: sorry, I was typing at the same as Becky ^^^

Ehh nevermind. I was quiting LFS soon anyway.
Quote from Becky Rose :If you dont want to fill it in, thats fine you can race on the servers - but you wont be able to raise reports.

is there a way to enter an email address but not have it show up on the licence lookup page ?
Quote from GruntOfAction :Ehh nevermind. I was quiting LFS soon anyway.

Ha! Well you might have said something before I typed out that huge reply!! :doh:

... only joking
One thing I didn't figure out yet is the restart grid. Sometimes I'm in the middle of the field but finished second in the race before. Or I got swapped with someone behind me. Is this normal? Is that a thing of LFS or your system?

I agree with the Server 1 and a lot of guys with silver, gold or higher licence on it (I am one of them). The problem is that I love to drive the XFG so I join that server, even that it means that you have a bunch of guys who drive like nuts (even more tough with the random grid-strange-thing).
It would be great that we could get a server like "Server 1" for the higher licences. Those cars provide a lot of close and good racing

But thanks for all the work so far. It's a great addition to LFS
Quote from Shotglass :is there a way to enter an email address but not have it show up on the licence lookup page ?

It doesnt show. First name and last name do (these are of course optional and include you in the CTRA top racers chart) but your email address is not made public.
Quote from richy :Hello, I have been loving these servers again, im slow, i dont get much points. But this is some of the best racing ever!!!

I can't stress how awesome the server setup is, love it to bits! Thank you guys.

Just a little problem that is relating to the above a bit, that I noticed last night. It's the issue with the join on lap 2 message. It needs to be staggered.

As 1st place crosses the line I can leave the pits, stay at pit speed, exit pits straight into the middle of the pack. Joining on lap 2 actually does the opposite. It puts crashes in the middle of the pack. Or just behind them on cold tyres. I just wait at the end of the pitlane for all to pass, and let the race get on with it then poodle my way around my outlap taking it easy and not disturbing things. But i'm not sure if everyone is aware of this.

But join on lap 2 definately has potential to cause problems. Maybe, if you could set it so it only lets people out of the pits once Last place has reached lap 2? As it is when 1st place goes it lets people out at the wrong time.

Hiya

Is this known? Or am I missing something, but the join on lap 2 tends to be worse than letting people leave the pits after the crash in T1 on lap 1 like before?
Quote from tomylee :One thing I didn't figure out yet is the restart grid. Sometimes I'm in the middle of the field but finished second in the race before. Or I got swapped with someone behind me. Is this normal? Is that a thing of LFS or your system?

I agree with the Server 1 and a lot of guys with silver, gold or higher licence on it (I am one of them). The problem is that I love to drive the XFG so I join that server, even that it means that you have a bunch of guys who drive like nuts (even more tough with the random grid-strange-thing).
It would be great that we could get a server like "Server 1" for the higher licences. Those cars provide a lot of close and good racing

But thanks for all the work so far. It's a great addition to LFS

We run concurrent qualifying on the race and single seater servers. You can check the grid at any time with the $grid command. To register a qualifying lap you just have to finish a race, and your fastest lap is taken and remembered until you log off or change car (or has been the case recently, the system is restarted - there's one more rare crash bug to trace, and I cant find the %*£(")*%()£" [kicked by swear filter] thing - although thankfully only 1 crash today).
Quote from tomylee :

Charming.

Don't worry m8, us 'nuts' would prefer it if you weren't there too, taking easy points at our expence.
i'm not sure where you people with bad experiences raced but i had 98% of the time really
clean and good racing on the xfg/xrg and tbo servers, maybe you just had bad luck there,
its really worth to give it a proper go. so far i had just one unlucky hit from someone getting
on the grass and then sliding into me, everything else went really nice and smooth including
the usual madness on T1 (got through turn 1 in every single race as far as i can remember)

thumbs up

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG