The online racing simulator
#51 - Jakg
Quote from Aiden McGeady :You do touch other cars in normal racing. Haven't you ever heard of bumping in NASCAR? They do it so the car in front becomes loose and moves to the outside, so the bumper can get in front during that moment the other car loses the racing line. It's not "bad driving", as you call it.

Erm, they ram cars from behind to make them "get loose" and then pass them?

I'd call that "bad driving" tbh
Well, would you rather try to make a clean pass, not being able to make it past the other car, and being "hung out to dry" (losing your place in the draft and therefore losing several positions)? It's strategic.
Quote from Jakg :Erm, they ram cars from behind to make them "get loose" and then pass them?

I'd call that "bad driving" tbh

Exactly my thoughts.

Although, it's sometimes impossible to make a pass, unless the other driver is making a mistake. Contact seems inevitable.
Quote from BullHorn :Did he mention with sims he plays?

He doesn't post very often but when he does it's usually in the GTR2 forums. The only time I've seen him post in the rFactor forums were in a thread cross-posted to several places where he asked painters to submit designs for his team's 2007 paint scheme.
Quote from BuddhaBing :He doesn't post very often but when he does it's usually in the GTR2 forums. The only time I've seen him post in the rFactor forums were in a thread cross-posted to several places where he asked painters to submit designs for his team's 2007 paint scheme.

Well, GTR2 and rFactor share the physics engine, or even if they don't, they feel very similar to me.

Meh, I don't understand why they like it, other than it having tracks that exist in real life.
Quote from BuddhaBing :He doesn't post very often but when he does it's usually in the GTR2 forums. The only time I've seen him post in the rFactor forums were in a thread cross-posted to several places where he asked painters to submit designs for his team's 2007 paint scheme.

He is actually betatester for the LMS and FIA GT3 mod for RF.
You must all understand that overtaking in ovals is very difficult, particularly in a league where there is no clearly dominant car or team, and that's even more pronounced in restrictor plate tracks. Overtaking techniques must then be applied. It's not bad driving, just a requirement for that kind of racing.

But let's not turn the thread into a NASCAR flamewar. The point of this is that contact does exist in racing, and is not necessarily bad driving. Also, even when contact is uncalled for, it might be simply ill-intentioned, rather than bad driving. No one would call Michael Schumacher or Ayrton Senna bad drivers, but they did have their fair share of objectionable instances.
Quote from Bob Smith :Collision detection improvements are supposed to be coming in the next incomaptible patch. If true, we can all see what difference they make.

ooooo a spoiler of things to come but thats good to know

He plays rFactor too.. Here are some of his rfactor and real videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/seanedwards000

Maybe someone could ask him what does he likes/dislikes about rfactor/lfs but I think huge + for rfactor would be real tracks as he can prepare for real events..
#60 - Jakg
Quote from BullHorn :Exactly my thoughts.

Although, it's sometimes impossible to make a pass, unless the other driver is making a mistake. Contact seems inevitable.

When they make a mistake you seize the opportunity, you don't force the opportunity by forcing them off, their biggest mistake seems to be getting on track with you
First of all, i know not of what 'trolling' is.

but to add to my point earlier, its like you people are either Aliens, or blind, its pretty obviously that sometimes small taps can send cars into the air, don't blame it on lag, it happens all the time and you all know it.
This is unbelievable, yea its ok to like something, but when you deny there is some major flaws in the armour of it, you need your head checking, because, i believe the term is biggot.

Maybe its the community.. It depends on what type of people you meet on different servers, but on GPL pour example, theres minimal wreckers, and then there is racers. Everyone is the same, everyone loves cars, and puts their virtual life on the lines for thrills and spills, its about MEN tbh, its about EGO, LFS is about BOYS and when the NEON addons will come out. Im sure i can change my own opinion, if i can find a league worth joining.

I try desperately to enjoy LFS like i do GPL, its not the game itself i dislike and neither is it the community, I have had some close racing, but its just not the same Buzz as GPL, it doesn't matter if your actually flat out on GPL or not, the car always feels on the edge, obviously, when your faster than a CERTAIN pace, the only time your car feels on the edge in LFS is when its contorting through the air, cos you flipped over a barrier, after some guy rejoined the track without looking where he was going but then, you have passed the edge haven't you?
Quote from Jakg :When they make a mistake you seize the opportunity, you don't force the opportunity by forcing them off, their biggest mistake seems to be getting on track with you

Sometimes people don't make mistakes, what then?
#63 - Jakg
Quote from BullHorn :Sometimes people don't make mistakes, what then?

They don't make mistakes? They're the same speed as you or faster? you don't pass them and you CERTAINLY don't bump them out of the way!
Blueflame, as a matter of fact, it is lag that causes the collision over-reactions.

The rest of your post is mostly pigeon-holing and subjective criticism to hang on to your assertion that LFS players are [insert biggoted blanket statement] and that LFS itself is not worth your time and effort... so why don't you just stop?
Unlike the people on this forum and game, i am willing to try to like things at least as much as others, i still favour GPL because its community help you more than they should, and make anyone feel welcome, here... there is too much to argue about, and thats just the game itself
But I don`t think to provoke some people will give you happy-happy answers back
Quote from BlueFlame :Unlike the people on this forum and game, i am willing to try to like things at least as much as others, i still favour GPL because its community help you more than they should, and make anyone feel welcome, here... there is too much to argue about, and thats just the game itself

BS.
Sorry, what does BS stand for?

Edit : Bull ****?

Edit : Ok, I really wanted to delete my entire post, but theres no delete, just edit. Sorry ><
#69 - Jakg
Quote from BlueFlame :Unlike the people on this forum and game, i am willing to try to like things at least as much as others, i still favour GPL because its community help you more than they should, and make anyone feel welcome, here... there is too much to argue about, and thats just the game itself

I've already said i've tried more than just LFS, but you ignored that one

People help LFS'ers here, it's just you read what you want to read and troll
Quote from Jakg :They don't make mistakes? They're the same speed as you or faster? you don't pass them and you CERTAINLY don't bump them out of the way!

In a competitive oval, particularly on restrictor plate tracks, nearly everyone is doing about the same speed, unless they have an uncompetitive car due to a bad set-up or mechanical problems. And they don't ram into one another, the technique is done by tapping the rear end of the car in front so it comes up and makes the car get loose.

Racing techniques aren't the same for every category. You wouldn't attempt to corner on asphalt the way rally drivers do on dirt. You don't race in a draft pack on an oval the same way you would race in a regular circuit.
#71 - Jakg
Quote from Aiden McGeady :In a competitive oval, particularly on restrictor plate tracks, nearly everyone is doing about the same speed, unless they have an uncompetitive car due to a bad set-up or mechanical problems. And they don't ram into one another, the technique is done by tapping the rear end of the car in front so it comes up and makes the car get loose.

I don't get how this is fair - the other driver is loosing the position not because he didn't defend enough or he's too slow, but because the twat behind him taps his rear - it's not "fair" because he can't retaliate, and it shows no skill (or racecraft, imo) of the following driver.
But you see, it doesn't automatically work. The driver in front is able to defend himself by blocking the driver in the back regardless of being loose for a moment, and those drivers are really good at that. It takes an exceptional driver to apply the tapping technique successfully. Jeff Gordon is known for mastering that technique, and he's a very good driver. Sometimes not even he can do it, like what happened in a recent race. He tapped Jimmie Johnson many times over, but was still unsuccessful at taking first place, finishing in second.
Quote from Aiden McGeady :In a competitive oval, particularly on restrictor plate tracks, nearly everyone is doing about the same speed, unless they have an uncompetitive car due to a bad set-up or mechanical problems. And they don't ram into one another, the technique is done by tapping the rear end of the car in front so it comes up and makes the car get loose.

Racing techniques aren't the same for every category. You wouldn't attempt to corner on asphalt the way rally drivers do on dirt. You don't race in a draft pack on an oval the same way you would race in a regular circuit.

I think you would be banned from any track, racing and called many names or even worse, die from your own stupidity, if you tried this in real life.

What you describe is wrecking.

Due to slipstreaming, the car behind will be faster. This does not give you the right to hit him up the rear and put him into a wall, or cause a pile up for the rest of the race behind you.

Some techniques for rallying can be adopted for asphalt. It's called rally cross.
Quote from richy :I think you would be banned from any track, racing and called many names or even worse, die from your own stupidity, if you tried this in real life.

What you describe is wrecking.

Due to slipstreaming, the car behind will be faster. This does not give you the right to hit him up the rear and put him into a wall, or cause a pile up for the rest of the race behind you.

Oh, dear god...has nobody ever watched NASCAR in this place..

They do it every race weekend in it, and nobody ever wrecks anything, and nobody is ever banned or called names or has ever died.

It is -not- wrecking! The car behind is not that much faster in a draft pack, the difference is usually of only 3 to 5 mph, if that. And nobody ever goes into the wall because of it. Hardly anyone even loses that much grip to be too noticeable.

Actually watch the thing before you make comments like that.
If you think I haven't watched NASCAR then you must be really naive. Bump drafting, and pushing someone till they are loose are different kettles of fish altogether. Bump drafting makes both cars go faster. And you should never do it with the intention of making the car infront get "loose".

People don't get put into walls because they don't intentionally make the driver infront get loose. This is called a death wish.

Look closely and the driver behind will back off before they turn. Both cars are faster. But you should not make the car infront get loose so you can make a move. It should be of the leading drivers mistake if he gets loose, not have absolutely no control over what is happening to his race.

Making someone get loose, and someone getting loose of their own free will are 2 seperate things altogether.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG