The online racing simulator
Quote from Wordan :As for indentation, I've settled on tabs so anybody can set their editor to space them as they like.

Sing it again brother!
Let's not forget the source code file is smaller too. As 1 tab is equal sometimes to about 8 spaces.
SimFIA, the website and league, is very much in need of some more programmers. I'm looking for not only PHP programmers, but python programmers aswell. If you can do it in C++ or C# or Java that is fine by me. I'd very much like all work to be open source. So if your happy with then them drop me a PM on here or on the SimFIA fourms.

What kind of work will we be doing? Simple really. Programming for Live For Speed. Getting fule load from clients for Team Principles in the F1. Live Timing and Scoring for main SimFIA website (I'll be the lead for this, providing we chose lurLFSD.). Completely unified stats engine (Closed Source) (Again I'll take the lead programmer role for this).
Quote from Dygear :Let's not forget the source code file is smaller too. As 1 tab is equal sometimes to about 8 spaces.

Compiler gets rid of any blanks or comments, so this doesnt affect the size of the output in any way.
Quote from Dygear :What kind of work will we be doing? Simple really. Programming for Live For Speed. Getting fule load from clients for Team Principles in the F1. Live Timing and Scoring for main SimFIA website (I'll be the lead for this, providing we chose lurLFSD.). Completely unified stats engine (Closed Source) (Again I'll take the lead programmer role for this).

Sounds interesting, and I may beable to dedicate time to it in the coming weeks, provided work pans out as being reasonably quiet. Just one question though; that basically reads as a load of total marketing gumft, what does it all mean?
Quote from the_angry_angel :Sounds interesting, and I may beable to dedicate time to it in the coming weeks, provided work pans out as being reasonably quiet. Just one question though; that basically reads as a load of total marketing gumft, what does it all mean?

Yea it's kinda ment to sound that way. SimFIA is ment to be professional and much of my posts about SimFIA are to promote it.

Quote from BurnOut69 :Compiler gets rid of any blanks or comments, so this doesnt affect the size of the output in any way.

I was referring to the source code file only. Disk space becomes an issue alot for me, and every little helps.
We are talking about bytes anyway...and I really doubt anyone adds so many comments that they increase the size of the source dramatically hehe.

BTW I work as C# programmer so depending on the task and available time I may be able to give a hand. You know where to find me (#69 )
Quote from BurnOut69 :We are talking about bytes anyway...and I really doubt anyone adds so many comments that they increase the size of the source dramatically hehe.

BTW I work as C# programmer so depending on the task and available time I may be able to give a hand. You know where to find me (#69 )

*Chuckles* Allright thanks for the notice.
Try netstat -a -b -v on your computer. I wonder why ns.chaintech.cz:23604 is connected to my computer. I hate chinatech they make reallybad stuff.

C:\Documents and Settings\Dygear>netstat -a -b -v

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State PID
TCP dygear-x86:epmap dygear-x86:0 LISTENING 1012
c:\windows\system32\WS2_32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RPCRT4.dll
c:\windows\system32\rpcss.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
-- unknown component(s) --
[svchost.exe]

TCP dygear-x86:microsoft-ds dygear-x86:0 LISTENING 4
[System]

TCP dygear-x86:1025 dygear-x86:0 LISTENING 344
C:\WINDOWS\System32\WS2_32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll
[alg.exe]

TCP dygear-x86:netbios-ssn dygear-x86:0 LISTENING 4
[System]

TCP dygear-x86:1517 102.157.36.72.reverse.layeredtech.com:3784 ESTA
BLISHED 3104
C:\WINDOWS\System32\mswsock.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WS2_32.dll
C:\Program Files\Ventrilo\Ventrilo.exe
[Ventrilo.exe]

TCP dygear-x86:4380 ns.chaintech.cz:23604 FIN_WAIT_1 1704
[System]

TCP dygear-x86:2134 localhost:2133 TIME_WAIT 0
TCP dygear-x86:2142 64.233.161.147:http TIME_WAIT 0
TCP dygear-x86:2154 64.106.174.50:http TIME_WAIT 0
TCP dygear-x86:2155 64.106.174.50:http TIME_WAIT 0
UDP dygear-x86:2948 *:* 1204
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll
c:\windows\system32\DNSAPI.dll
c:\windows\system32\dnsrslvr.dll
[svchost.exe]

UDP dygear-x86:isakmp *:* 780
C:\WINDOWS\system32\oakley.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LSASRV.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ADVAPI32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll
[lsass.exe]

UDP dygear-x86:3629 *:* 1204
[svchost.exe]

UDP dygear-x86:1032 *:* 1204
[svchost.exe]

UDP dygear-x86:1040 *:* 1204
[svchost.exe]

UDP dygear-x86:3628 *:* 1204
[svchost.exe]

UDP dygear-x86:3630 *:* 1204
[svchost.exe]

UDP dygear-x86:4500 *:* 780
C:\WINDOWS\system32\oakley.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LSASRV.dll
[lsass.exe]

UDP dygear-x86:microsoft-ds *:* 4
[System]

UDP dygear-x86:3631 *:* 1204
[svchost.exe]

UDP dygear-x86:3627 *:* 1204
[svchost.exe]

UDP dygear-x86:ntp *:* 1108
c:\windows\system32\w32time.dll
ntdll.dll
[svchost.exe]

UDP dygear-x86:1900 *:* 1240
c:\windows\system32\ssdpsrv.dll
[svchost.exe]

UDP dygear-x86:1872 *:* 1624
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wininet.dll
[wmplayer.exe]

UDP dygear-x86:1900 *:* 1240
c:\windows\system32\ssdpsrv.dll
[svchost.exe]

UDP dygear-x86:ntp *:* 1108
c:\windows\system32\w32time.dll
ntdll.dll
[svchost.exe]

UDP dygear-x86:netbios-ns *:* 4
[System]

UDP dygear-x86:netbios-dgm *:* 4
[System]

OpenWRT ftw
the following has nothing to do with lfs, but i just have to express the joy over my latest find :

OpenWRT - a very nice firmware for a lot of routers, originally Linksys ones ( supported devices ). Basically after you flash your router with it, you have turned your router into a fully loaded linux-networking box, meaning you get access to all iptables functionality and in combination with ip and tc you can setup QoS schemes (very cool) and as long as memory permits (mine has around 16mb for OS + running things + some filespace), you can install all sorts of other stuff on it. I've even got a working php 5.0.3 running on my router Remember my router isn't a whole pc - i'm talking about such a consumer hardware router (Linksys wrt54g v.1.1)

Anyway, since there's a lot of geeks similar to me reading this forum, I figured there'll be some guys with a compatible router who might like this. If you are a bit familiar with linux and have no fear of flashing your hardware, then i strongly recommend openwrt. It turns your normal consumer router into a pro router Do remember to read all the docs about installing though and do check to see if your router is supported. If not, you can potentially brick the router and throw it away.

Back to fiddling about now
It might be worth pointing out that getting a compatible WRT54G (excluding L revisions) can be a pain in the neck. I luckily managed to get mine (v2) from ebay.

I'm currently running DD-WRT, which is pretty similar to OpenWRT in terms of features, with the addition of a better web gui (imho) You can also ssh / telnet to most standard DD-WRT images if you'd like to change things the manual way, just as you would with OpenWRT The only up side with OpenWRT is that it runs on a much larger range of hardware, and its easier to get involved with If you'd just like your router to work, or you need it to work (in terms of employment) then I'd not recommend playing with this stuff.
yeah open wrt is more for those who don't need a webgui and can get by from the command line - i don't even have the httpd running anymore to save some memory
Initially I installed hyperWRT-thibor, which was already a great improvement to the original firmwares (which even have a nasty bug in them, keeping connections open way too long, flooding the routers buffers). But then my eye fell on openwrt and i'm loving that now for its versatility and community support (great source of available packages).

btw, if only this router http://www.asus.com/products4. ... model=979&modelmenu=1 had a normal PC-cpu and a little more memory - then you could throw out your Linux PC and run everything from the hardware router (presumably consuming less power and more silent too)
Allright, I knew about WRT54G (I infact own one and, yes, they do rock), I also knew about the firmware thing from The Screen Savers. (We will miss you TSS.) But PHP thing is new to me, and that is REALLY awsome!

The Screen Savers Dark Tip for Linux IDS can be found at time index 22:30 and goes on from there.
too bad they made the common mistake of claiming that raising the wlan signal strength gives a better connection - it just raises the signal bar on the receiving end, but unless the receiving end also raises its signal strength, the signal won't get much better Wlan isn't a broadcast
So, where do I find the php to run on it? Oh man, my internet is a hell of alot snapper now.
Assuming you went for openwrt, you can get the php package via here : http://www.ipkg.be/package/1213305 (there are also other php versions available - just search for php on that website).

note - of course that's not a fully blown php - you won't find gd in there for example But it has sockets which is most important on a router I guess. Though mysql support might've been handy for some occasions.
Yes I did, thank you .
i think next year sometime i'm going to start working on a project in java...only i don't know java. i'm pretty good with javascript, php, and coldfusion. In fact, the project is integrating an app that built with javascript into a pre-existing java app. so, my first task in this project is to find a reference book. only thing is, there are hundreds, if not thousands of books out there, and most of them probably suck (most tech books do).

so my question is...what java book would you recommend?

In the past, i liked the O'Rielly PHP book, but there are about 50 Java books by O'Rielly, so I can't even just go with the Java book by them. So, recommendations please
Bump.

I've finally started forcing myself to learn C/C++ and I'm making some decent progress. However one thing I've suffered from is a lack of a good IDE for my tasks. At first I was using BloodDev-C++, which I just hated. What a horrible environment to program in. But I finally stumbled onto a wonderful open-source IDE called Code::Blocks. I fully recommend it, it's fantastic! I'm just giving it a well deserved plug.

http://www.codeblocks.org/

OK - more console apps!

Edit: Oh - get a nightly-build, the last release came out years ago and was a bit crap. They don't support it anymore, the nightly builds are where it's at!
Yeah, I tried that. I didn't take to it tbh. Code::Blocks is better in my view.

I love VSE C#. but the C++ version isn't doing it for me...
Code::Blocks huh? I'll give it a go!
Quote from Dygear :Code::Blocks huh? I'll give it a go!

I heartily recommend using the nightly builds over the "stable" version. Its got a lot more fixes and tweaks.. shame they've not released a new stable yet
I've currently been trying to learn assembly and machine code. I want to get a cheap microcontroller just to play around with. What is assembly useful for, anyway? I want to figure out how to write my own DOS drivers.
Quote from wheel4hummer :I've currently been trying to learn assembly and machine code. I want to get a cheap microcontroller just to play around with. What is assembly useful for, anyway? I want to figure out how to write my own DOS drivers.

Assembly language is low-level CPU specific language. It's commands are directly compiled into machine code.

Hardly anyone uses assembly language today. Even lower layers of OS and drivers are usually written in C.

Advantages of ASM are: full control over CPU, fastest possible execution speed if experienced in ASM programming (and lots of time for optimization), small output files.
Disadvantages: not portable, hard to maintain code, nonproductive.

Assembly is great to learn architecture of CPU and for fun. It was my second language, right after Spectrum Basic . Tho it might be overkill for you. Usually microcontrollers can be programmed with stripped-down variants of C.

The Off Topic Programming Thread!
(309 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG