The online racing simulator
Quote from misiek08 :@Dygear, better delete your post :P

You didn't hear about nginx? It's (like for me) best alternative for Apache. It support something like mod_rewrite and you can easy migrate from Apache to nginx setting nginx as proxy.

I've had my head in the sand for a while now when it comes to web server tech.
I was just kidding about your post. I was using Apache for 3 years. Then friend told me about nginx..... and everything started to work faster and my servers are now bored because of free RAM and CPU.
Quote from misiek08 :my servers are now bored because of free RAM and CPU.

Lol, that's awesome.
Quote from GeForz :And stats for 1000 server don't mean anything for "tens of millions"

That's like saying "The coin landed on heads twice so it is 100% it lands on heads for 200 tosses"

Not really, because two times is statistically insignificant, but a thousand is a pretty reasonable number. That's about the same number of people they ask in government polling.
Anyone else using Stack Overflow for their programming questions? They have provided some very insightful answers.
Quote from Dygear :Anyone else using Stack Overflow for their programming questions? They have provided some very insightful answers.

I hit it from regularly when I'm looking for help with problems but I haven't asked any questions there myself.
Quote from amp88 :I hit it from regularly when I'm looking for help with problems but I haven't asked any questions there myself.

I've asked a few and all answers are spot on.
I'm using it too.
There is no forum that can be more helpful than SO.
-
(DarkTimes) DELETED by DarkTimes : Posted in wrong thread.
Hey, I just wanted to ask a small question.

(This is all in C# @ LFS_External)

Is it possible to create a BTT button, so that when I click it, I get the text box, and when I click OK, I get another text box?

Long Sentence Short:

Click Button "Example" -> Textbox 1 shows up. -> Type in stuff, press OK -> Textbox 2 shows up. -> Enter stuff, press OK.

I don't think it's possible (in my eyes, but worth a try)

AFAIK: It would be possible if I knew the OK button's "ClickID"??
Quote from boothy :You've mentioned XHTML1.1 in two posts now, I hope you're not serving it as text/html and also waiting for XHTML2.0

Not at all . XHTML2 is totally not my thing - I don't like it - Im interested in HTML5 (and current XHTML 1.1 'Strict')...

I tread all XHTML as XML - when parsing it!

Change of topic :

I created this using GDI to prototype some buffer matrixes using multiple renderbuffers. (vb.net)

Now I want to start the final product - and am having trouble decing eather to go DirectDraw9 clean - SlimDX, or any other - as my little project has peaked in GDI (cant do more without killing GDI framerate now )

Any suggestions of either any .Net friendly wrappers, or frameworks ( NOT XNA please... ) ? I am already testing some stuff in Axiom (Ogre/Mogre) .. but I need something lighter ... otherwise ill be doing Raw Direct2D and DirectDraw
The Go Programming Language
#287 - Woz
Quote from DarkTimes :I like TDD for some things, I've had genuine fist-in-the-air moments when a test passes, but I'm having issues with the fact that I am writing two or three times as much code as I was before, plus I sense a real increase in the complexity of some of my code.

I enjoy some things, writing the tests first creates some nicely decoupled code, and as I say I have had some really great moments when a a complex algorithm finally passes. I was writing some code the other day that converted base 10 numbers into base 36, and I found the tests very helpful while I grappled with my bad mathematics.

It will be very useful when working with dynamic languages, such as Python, when you don't have the safety-net of the compiler, but I'm not convinced that for the sorts of GUI apps I write, that I am really getting an equal return for the time-investment.

Anyway I'm still having fun and I plan to continue with it for the time being.

I got TDD into place early in the project I am working on which is now in the region of 500000 lines of code. Without our unit tests we would never keep it stable. TDD is great at finding all the little issues that occur in what you think are unrelated code.

You are right in that you create 2-3 times more code BUT the offset is less manual tests are required. So the time very quickly repays itself. We even took the time to write automatic reflection based test that check attribute tagging and validators are correctly hooked on objects etc.

You just have to stop fighting writing the test code, after a while you feel a little exposed when you write code without the associated unit tests to back it up.

I hate writing code without tests now as it means I have to perform the tests that would be automatic manually. Time better spent coding tbh.
Has anyone tried the BBC JavaScript library? It looks pretty nice, especially the widgets that come with it. Not sure it has enough going to replace jQuery however, but it does look interesting.
Quote from DarkTimes :Has anyone tried the BBC JavaScript library? It looks pretty nice, especially the widgets that come with it. Not sure it has enough going to replace jQuery however, but it does look interesting.

I've never heard of it, I'll have a look.
Quote from DarkTimes :Has anyone tried the BBC JavaScript library? It looks pretty nice, especially the widgets that come with it. Not sure it has enough going to replace jQuery however, but it does look interesting.

Yeah it's not too bad, but to be honest the possibility of it going away (if the BBC bin it) and the fact that I've been using jQuery for so long, both personally and at work, hasn't made me move to it.

I will admit I've been meaning to port one or two of the widgets to jQuery though. Never quite managed to find the time (as usual)
Quote from PoVo :
.... if I knew the OK button's "ClickID"??

I'm seriously late noticing this but.....

What the heck do you mean by ClickID?

You are working in C# right?

You are trying to track a C# button click, or a click else were ( btt)?
Quote from CodieMorgan :I'm seriously late noticing this but.....

What the heck do you mean by ClickID?

You are working in C# right?

You are trying to track a C# button click, or a click else were ( btt)?

ClickID is a struct memeber found in the IS_BFN (Button FunctioN), IS_BTN (BuTtoN), IS_BTC (BuTton Click) & IS_BTT (BuTton Type) structs. ClickID is used to track a button in these cases:
  • ClickID can be used to update a button's text via the IS_BTN struct, where the ClickID is already known. However it should be noted that in this case, all contents of the packet is ignored if the button with that ClickID is already being displayed, only the Text member of the struct is read in the packet, and updated on screen. It's position will remain the same, as the position members are ignored also.
  • ClickID in IS_BTC, will tell you what button was clicked by the client.
  • ClickID in IS_BTT, will tell you what button was typed in by the client.
  • ClickID in IS_BFN, will let InSim know what you wish to do with that button along with the SubT member of the Struct.
Quote from PoVo :Click Button "Example" -> Textbox 1 shows up. -> Type in stuff, press OK -> Textbox 2 shows up. -> Enter stuff, press OK.

Yes.

Send a IS_BTN struct with the TypeIn set to the max length of the text you wish to receive up to a length of 95 charaters, set it's ClickID and send the packet. Note down somewhere what ClickID you set. When you get a IS_BTT packet, where it's ClickID is the same as the one you set, read the data and send another IS_BTN function like last time.
-
(DarkTimes) DELETED by DarkTimes
I was looking at licenses recently, as some of you might of noticed, and I was looking up how Linus and Stallman did it, and I stumbled upon this:

Tech Talk: Linus Torvalds on git - Yeah, ok. I think I'll use git, taking a tenth of a second to go though the whole linux kernal source tree is pretty impressive. It should be more then powerful enough for us pokey devs on the PRISM project.
Quote from Dygear :git

it's not that bad actually... i'm using it for a game source repo.

i used to use svn a couple years ago, and i wasn't really interested in learning another RCS, but once you configure it and use it a few times, it's pretty manageable. the only thing that bugged me was that i couldn't get it to send patch emails properly.
I love git. Yes I haven't used it for anything mission critical (I could have been just as well off without SCM, and kept 1 copy I worked off of), but it worked remarkably well. easy to get setup (once the concept was understood), and made things nice for sharing with the other person I was working on the project with.
Quote from DarkTimes :An excellent free book that teaches programming and the C# programming language.

http://www.robmiles.com/c-yellow-book/

I never really grokked, or even got C#. I felt that I was always on the cusp of being able to understand it. So, I'll read this after medic school is over
I always thought it was Alan Turing that built the first Computer, but it turns out I was both right and wrong. Very cool never the less. I read the specs on the Analytical engine saying that it could store 20.6 KiB of data in it's memory in the from of 1,000 Numbers and 50 Fixed Points.

In an unrelated article, regarding John Sculley and his tenure at Apple, John stated that the Lisa had about 3 MIPS of power, where any given current wrist watch is 200 - 300 times more powerful then the Lisa.

Quote from John Sculley :It was totally remarkable that you could deliver a machine when you think the first processor on the Mac was less than three MIPs (Million Instructions Per Second), which today would be — I can’t think of any device which has three MIPS, or equivalent. Even your digital watch is at least 200 or 300 times more powerful than the first Macintosh. (NOTE. For comparison, today’s entry-level iMac uses an Intel Core i3 chip, rated at over 40,000 MIPS!)

That quote really struck me, when I heard it.
Has anyone here ever gotten so frustrated with a hobby-project that he felt like shift+deleting 2 months of work?

I've put up a basic engine to implement a game-idea that worked out rather well. Recently I've been fleshing things out and restructuring some abstraction-code to allow multiplayer, which also came along rather well. However I've been running into inclusion-loops a lot and and MSVC can't work it out properly.
I have no to minimal understanding of how a compiler works and I honestly have no interest in spending a lot of time until I understand why it can't solve inclusion-loops. I'm proud enough that I actually managed to get my project far enough to produce a playable game with all the bells and whistles a hobby-project needs.

I can cope with difficult to solve bugs in the AI- or netcode and I patiently step through the program with the debugger, but when MSVC tells me a base-class isn't defined when the #include-directive is 5 lines above it I just feel like smashing something expensive.

I guess I'll solve it eventually, but if anyone knows of some kind of C+++-language that gets along without #include-directives please say so, because I'm sick of it by now.

Error C4430: Missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int
Error C2146: Syntax error: missing ';' before identifier 'Vain'

The Off Topic Programming Thread!
(309 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG