The online racing simulator
Don't know what to do
(22 posts, started )
Don't know what to do
Awrite, mates!

I'm a newbie in dire need of help. I got my S2 license yesterday, but have absolutely no idea what to do now. Do I practise against the AI, or do I join some public servers and get my practise there? Either way, I've already read all the behaviour and racing guides, and would know how to behave myself. Since I can't even keep my car on the track with the more high-powered vehicles yet, as this does not seem to be Gran Turismo (), I'd just go slower than the other cars so as to not bother anyone, but try to keep up with them. I'd gradually get more competitive as I learned my limits.

But really, what should I do? Cheers!
You already answered the question yourself actually.

Go race online with the slower cars ,which you can control, first and have fun racing against others.

You said you know how to behave yourself online so there shouldnt be any problems as long as you obey blue flags and dont cause crashes.
Yeah, whichever cars you feel you can control safely, go online. With the ones that you're not confident in, practice them offline for a bit, but look around for better setups - the default setups on the RWDs can be a bit flaky and make things difficult.

Welcome to S2.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Yeah, whichever cars you feel you can control safely, go online. With the ones that you're not confident in, practice them offline for a bit, but look around for better setups - the default setups on the RWDs can be a bit flaky and make things difficult.

Welcome to S2.

Good suggestion but here's another question from another newbie. How does one know which are the "better" setups and where would I find them? Thanks! (Sorry for hijacking the thread... )
I guess I'll just go online and take it easy with the slower cars then, and just build up as I feel more confident. Cheers.
there are some lessons on LFS, try to complete them!
those lessons give you some basic experience to control the cars

afer that you can join the servers, but one hint i gave to you is to always let the faster people pass you at start of race, when you get a good laptime you can start going with them at start

first you can start with the slower cars, try racing the XFG and XRG on some circuits to get how things works, then try to drive de FOX or XFR and learn how the car reacts with slicks and downforce

if you need more help you can join our brazilian forum www.liveforspeed.com.br/forum and our league at www.lfsbr.com

cheers!
Quote from Avatar13 :Good suggestion but here's another question from another newbie. How does one know which are the "better" setups and where would I find them? Thanks! (Sorry for hijacking the thread... )

I used to suggest Bob Smith's "Easy Race" setups but following tyre physics changes and the addition of the clutch pack preload value they probably don't work as intended any more.

Bookmark Team Inferno's SetupField if you haven't already - those are world-record setups but quite often they're very nice to drive. The only problem you might run into is high tyre wear, but raising the pressures a bit and maybe using less aggressive camber should sort that out (but being careful not to scrub the tyres excessively is more important and something you should be doing if you want to be fast and consistent ).
Quote from thisnameistaken :I used to suggest Bob Smith's "Easy Race" setups but following tyre physics changes and the addition of the clutch pack preload value they probably don't work as intended any more.

Bookmark Team Inferno's SetupField if you haven't already - those are world-record setups but quite often they're very nice to drive. The only problem you might run into is high tyre wear, but raising the pressures a bit and maybe using less aggressive camber should sort that out (but being careful not to scrub the tyres excessively is more important and something you should be doing if you want to be fast and consistent ).

Great. thanks for the links and tips. I'll check them out.
Have you been online yet since these suggestions? I have a suggestion, and in case you haven't been online, I'll tell you how race starts happen....

Online, the racers will vote to restart next race (shiftkey + R, or esc, Restart). You will see "Race restarts in...." and a count down. When you see this, press [shiftkey - S] to go to spectate. At the finish of the countdown, screen goes blank for a second, then the cars are placed on the grid. After you see the cars placed on the grid, join the race [shiftkey - J]. This will put yourself in the final position at the start and you can enjoy lapping and learning the tracks/cars unimpeded until the leaders come around to catch you. Eventually, you will find yourself up there with the back of the pack and will be able to race with the "backmarkers". This will begin to teach you racecraft, or track awareness to where you will start to be aware of where everyone is around you. As you gain experience, you will gain positions in where and who you are racing until you are up with the leaders.

Note, at first, when putting yourself in the back of the field on race start, start slow as there is surely a huge crash in turn 1. Lag behind a bit so you can see it happen, then you can thread your way through the crashes and spun cars and carry on making some laps afterwards.

Welcome to S2.
#10 - FL!P
Welcome to S2!

What I did in my (not so distant) early days in LFS was to find a server with short races using a car I knew I could keep on the track, and a circuit that looked interesting, with some people on but not too much (no more than 10). Then I went to single player and ran some laps on the same combo to learn which way to turn and where to brake.

Then only I joined the server, making sure to stay out of the way of everybody until I had run enough races to be confident that I wouldn't crash anyone. Usually I was offered a set after a couple of races, and that way I've never got any issue, ban, or anything.

If you respect people and act as you would IRL, everything will be fine. Have fun!
Yes, it's about respect. No one will care if you are slow or that you crash, so long as you respect the other players on the server. Be very careful into T1 (turn 1), never hit any one from behind (it's the biggest racing no-no), don't impede the car behind you when you get the blue flag message (blue flag means the car behind is at least a lap ahead of you), and most importantly if you make a mistake or cause an accident apologise for it in chat. If you need a set then ask for one to be sent to you. It might take a couple of attempts, but the vast majority of drivers are always happy to share. Ultimately don't be afraid of us, we don't bite. Well most of us. There are noobs of course, but most LFS players are nice guys and gals who just want to have some fun racing their mates.
I'll try out all the suggestions as soon as I can, I'm already nervous about my first race. Playing against the AI wasn't doing me too good at all, they seem to always completely ignore my car and slam into it from behind. I guess that's how all of you feel when some pure mental gonk does the same.

I've been playing around with the FOX and XRT (anyone ever notice it looks like an Esprit?). They're both cars I can drive fairly well. I'll be giving them a go online.
Quote from DarkTimes :If you need a set then ask for one to be sent to you......

.....between races, not during a current race. Just wanted to add to the comment here. Remember, during a race that you are not involved in, those who are, are concentrating on the race. Many are very willing to help and send you a set between race starts, no problem. Many will see your driving and ask you if you need a set.

One more tip. When you join a server while a race is going on, you can join the track to practice IF you check the map to make sure you don't join in the middle of a pack of racers. Even before leaving the garage, check the map because it's easy to forget that someone could be coming down pitroad for a pitstop. It is common for people to not think of this and tear out of the garage straight into someone who is making a legitimate pitstop.
Just a wee question..

I've been practicing with the FOX on Fern Bay Club with the default setup, and was averaging 43 seconds, my fastest lap being 0:42:44. Here, is that good for a beginner? I did 15 laps.
Quote from Aiden McGeady :Just a wee question..

I've been practicing with the FOX on Fern Bay Club with the default setup, and was averaging 43 seconds, my fastest lap being 0:42:44. Here, is that good for a beginner? I did 15 laps.

LFS World

All you need for times and a bundle of other stats and interesting features

Regards,

Ian
Cheers, mate!

And wow, not bad, I was only 7 seconds off the WR, being a beginner with the default setup!
Quote from Aiden McGeady :Cheers, mate!

And wow, not bad, I was only 7 seconds off the WR, being a beginner with the default setup!

... around the shortest circuit.

Sorry. The chicane is important - if you get the line right you can bounce over both kerbs at 95mph+, that will probably win you a few seconds.

Incidentally - you can download the world record replay if you click the time in the list. At least then you can see how such a ridiculous time was achieved, even if you can't replicate it (which 99% of us can't).

Edit: Fern Bay's not such a friendly beginner's environment because you have to pile across the kerbs to be quick, and some of the kerbs are lethal. If you're after a short course to learn, Aston Cadet or South City Sprint 2 require much less silly driving but will both still teach you a lot (but the south city sprint circuit is very rarely used online).
Aye, I know it's the shortest circuit, but hey, still something.

I was paying more attention to driving smoothly and consistently than having top lap times, thus, when it was time to negotiate the chicane, I simply focused on keeping a smooth line and going on the accelerator when I could feel the car was set.

I'm going to try the short ones first as well as BL, then move on to more ambitious tracks. It's useless to try the Nordschleife when you can't even do go-kart tracks.
Quote from Aiden McGeady :when it was time to negotiate the chicane, I simply focused on keeping a smooth line and going on the accelerator when I could feel the car was set.

Fair enough. If you've got a car that turns in well you can just lift slightly as you go over the kerbs and then plant the throttle on the exit. If you're really brave you can go full throttle right from T1 and not lift until the right-hander after the chicane.

Quote from Aiden McGeady : I'm going to try the short ones first as well as BL, then move on to more ambitious tracks. It's useless to try the Nordschleife when you can't even do go-kart tracks.

The short tracks are good because you finish the lap quicker and you can see your time sooner, so you get more "instant gratification" and it keeps you keen to do another lap. Whereas setting off on a two minute lap only to stuff it on the third turn is just depressing!
Quote from Aiden McGeady :It's useless to try the Nordschleife when you can't even do go-kart tracks.

The bold is alll that needs to be said.
I've been hitting the track and knocking off some serious time, I'm now managing 0:39:80.

In addition, I've been driving around other tracks with the FOX, and doing well at that too.
Good to hear mate!

Don't know what to do
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG