The online racing simulator
A yotta shit?
Nathan,

Thought I'd just send you a helpful link,

http://www.tweakguides.com/System.html

These are all very well written guides which will help you understand how to optimise your computer to run more efficiently. If you're running Vista, then check out the Vista Tweaking Companion, if XP, then the XP Tweaking Companion. You'll find that many problems can be overcome just by understanding and knowing your computer better- in time you'll find you won't have to resort to resolving every little performance quirk by adding new expensive hardware.

Really, check out these guides before you do anything. This is probably the best advice I could give you on this subject.

Good luck,
#28 - JTbo
Playing rigs of rods is more fun with more cores

I have A64 3200+ and I'm planning og getting Quad core Intel cpu, 6600E I think it was, price is not silly anymore and as I do use 3dsmax and some other programs and I like from rigs of rods I'm going to that route. Surely future will utilize more cores better too.
Quote from JTbo :Playing rigs of rods is more fun with more cores

doesnt ror use a max of 2 threads ?
#31 - JTbo
Quote from Shotglass :doesnt ror use a max of 2 threads ?

IT does? Well I can always use another two to keep overhelming heavy OS running and making sure that my gaming experience is not going to be disturbed by any stupid process that decides to do some tasks without my direct order
#32 - Jakg
bottom line is that its your cash - if your often waiting for a render to finish, you'd be a then do it, if not then don't - rendering is the only thing atm worth it for you.

You'd be a fool not to wait for the 22nd with sub-£200 Q6600's, though, and 99% of the time you'd be a fool to go for a dual if a Quad is a little more.

But then if you have the X6800 you probably have more £ than sense

My next CPU will either be an E6600 or a Q6600, either way it will be overclocked to hell, i've got the cash for it atm, i've just got to mentally justify my PC being "too slow" and tbh I can't!
Quote from JTbo :IT does? Well I can always use another two to keep overhelming heavy OS running and making sure that my gaming experience is not going to be disturbed by any stupid process that decides to do some tasks without my direct order

it does ... and one thread (i suppose the graphics one) only creates some 60% load on one core so theres enough headroom in it to run os processes

Quote from Jakg :You'd be a fool not to wait for the 22nd with sub-£200 Q6600's, though, and 99% of the time you'd be a fool to go for a dual if a Quad is a little more.

hed be an even bigger fool not to wait for penryn and barcelona to drop ... its not like hes in a hurry to upgrade with a 3ghz c2d
#34 - JTbo
Quote from Shotglass :it does ... and one thread (i suppose the graphics one) only creates some 60% load on one core so theres enough headroom in it to run os processes

hed be an even bigger fool not to wait for penryn and barcelona to drop ... its not like hes in a hurry to upgrade with a 3ghz c2d

I'm probably waiting for nvidia 9000 series to come at christmas/beginning of next year until I do upgrade, must see some reviews etc, but my plan is to make such machine that even rTracktor will not be slow no matter what details I set and even if rTracktor 2 will come

Also should be good for rendering, my current cpu renders one scene for 10 hours, maybe even more if I make it wallpaper size so it is really too slow and I need all power I can get :-\
My first thought was:

Quad core? What for?
Well, i have bought the processor which arrived yesterday. I have fitted it, and i gotta say....WOW! It sure is alot faster over the dual core one i had. Thanks for all your tips.
4 gfx cards in one pc? i already had problems fitting one in. would like to see pics of the inside of your case, cant imagine how that must look like
#38 - JTbo
Quote from Da Hoe :4 gfx cards in one pc? i already had problems fitting one in. would like to see pics of the inside of your case, cant imagine how that must look like

Case is too small then, well actually who needs that anyway
I'd like some pics too and what mobo is in that thing? 4 sounds sick, I still can't get myself to fork over the dough for 2 mediocre cards :/
Complete waste of money. Unless you do 3D rendering/photo/video editing 24/7.

Get a C2D, overclock it to 3.6ghz. Job done.

Less heat, less power usage and therefore needs less cooling so quieter.
#41 - Jakg
Just fyi - an E6600 is £130, a Q6600 is £185 (for a G0), an E6700, £170, Q6700, £331, E6400, £105. Q6400 £119 delivered.

Ok, there is no Q6400, but the Xeon X2310 is 2.13 GHz, Intel 2 Duo architecture, Quad Core and was also going to be released as a Q6400, but only the ES' seem to exist. Works in "ordinary" Socket 775 boards which take Quads, too!

/me just bought one :P

Either way i'd like to point out that either you go "super cheap" with an E2160 (£58, does 3.2 GHz+ with a decent mobo/air cooling), get this lovely entry Quad (probably "Only" does 3 GHz, maybe even less), or you plump the cash for a Q6600 G0 - anything in the middle is imo a little pointless.
I run an overclocked 2.4 Northwood 533 at 3.2 with an x1650pro 512mb, 6xAA and 16XAF and my cpu shows consistently 90-100% cpu usage. Would not a dual core or quad core reduce cpu usage and allow graphics card to work to full capabilities?
when you see cpu <100% it means that at that moment, the GPU was the limit of your system. when you see the cpu pegged at 100% it means CPU was the limit. from there, what you do is up to you. (of course you need to take powersaving into consideration, and also you need to make sure there isn't an other bottleneck in the system. because there shouldn't be, at least not when gaming.)
#44 - Jakg
A better CPU would help but LFS will only work on one core (ATM) so while a newer dual core would have faster cores, the extra cores themselves won't help.
Quote from Jakg :A better CPU would help but LFS will only work on one core (ATM) so while a newer dual core would have faster cores, the extra cores themselves won't help.

Not forgetting the other cores can take care of any processes outside of LFS which, depending on OS and things you may want to run at the same time, could contribute quite a bit to LFS performance if those things are eating into the core running LFS.
Another core is helpful when you are capturing videos, having one core dedicated to LFS and one to FRAPS, Camtasia etc.
I've changed over to quad core now aswell, and it gives epic performance. Running my Q6600 at 2.8Ghz for now, going to push some more tomorrow. I haven't seen CPU temps above 38 degrees, and I've been playing Assassin's Creed at max settings all day

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG