Getting a Quad-Core Processor. Need your opinions.
Hi all, im getting a new processor for my computer on thursday and i need your opinions. Its a Intel quad-core processor, specifically, the same one which is in this machine....http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Intel-Co ... ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i wanna know if anyone has had any experiences with this processor and whether it has any problems. Atm, the processor i have is a intel duo core extreme (2x3ghz) put alongside 4 nVidia 7950gt 512mb graphics cards (a.k.a Quad-Sli) so already, it runs all my gamesat a very smooth rate, including all my next-gens ones at max AA/AF, max resolution and nearly all of them have hi-res texture downloads. So my main concern is whether the new processor will make a difference in performance or not? Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Frenchy
You won't notice a damn thing.
....fast reply. So, why would'nt i notice a difference?
I take my words back.

You'll notice a difference on your bank account status as you realize you wasted a big load of cash on something as silly as quad-core processors if your income doesn't depend on it.
*sigh* are you going to give me a straight answer or not? I did'nt ask for opinions just to be lectured, its my money so let me do what the hell i want with it
Give your money to me then. We'll both be more happy that way and I can ship you a (small) box of air.
Rofl. Nah dont need air thanks, got plenty here. So, is anyone going to give me an answer or not?
You could put the air I sent you into your computer and call it a day as the performance increase would be equal compared to a quad-core processor in your case.
A quad core processor will be of benefit in two circumstances:

1) Programs that are very parallel in nature (ie not games)
2) When you are running loads of programs in the background. It's usually more economic just to delete the spyware than to upgrade though.
Totally agree with spanky... If you have too much money, send us some!
Quote :so already, it runs all my gamesat a very smooth rate, including all my next-gens ones at max AA/AF

You definitely should upgrade. Who should need to put up with 'very smooth' anyway? You're living in the past.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ru9e2rTHeuk
Or rendering, that quad core would be orgasmic for rendering... :P
I think you might have a slight mental problem if rendering gets you off.
I think you might have a slight attitude problem.

I still dont see what you have to offer to this harmless thread...
Quote from Electrik Kar :You definitely should upgrade. Who should need to put up with 'very smooth' anyway? You're living in the past.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ru9e2rTHeuk

Rofl, i paused my music...FOR THIS?!? lol, Funny vid, but i still dont see what it contributes to my request for opinions.

About it being good for rendering, this was one of the main reasons for me purchasing this. I dont do alot of rendering for LFS (only done 2 ) but i do alot of rendering for Half-Life 2, Unreal tounament etc. Maybe i should start to do some more LFS rendering?

Anyway, thanks to a few of you guys who actually gave me valid opinions, keep em' coming
Quote :Rofl, i paused my music...FOR THIS?!?

Aww, sorry. How about this one?

But seriously, I wouldn't upgrade until it's really necessary. That's the only way you'll get your money's worth (which I believe is what Spankmeyer was actually trying to point out to you). I can't see how a quad-core will really aid you unless you're undertaking to produce Toy Story 3 in your basement by yourself. Think about why you need something, rather than just getting something because it's the supposed best. Sounds logical to me...
Quote from Electrik Kar :Aww, sorry. How about this one?

But seriously, I wouldn't upgrade until it's really necessary. That's the only way you'll get your money's worth (which I believe is what Spankmeyer was actually trying to point out to you). I can't see how a quad-core will really aid you unless you're undertaking to produce Toy Story 3 in your basement by yourself. Think about why you need something, rather than just getting something because it's the supposed best. Sounds logical to me...

now thats the kind of opinion i would like to see. And yes, it does seem very logical. I will think about this myself but i am still convinced to get it. Mainly due to the fact i ALWAYS have my pc running with a bucket load of programs, and i dont mean small programs, i mean big ones like 3dsmax, endorphin, photoshop, fireworks, dreamweaver and the likes. But thank you alot for your post Electrik, it made good sense
Getting a yotta-core processor. Need your opinions.
by the time 4core processors are actually used by alot of games, 6core processors will be at a decent price It would probably be best to stick with dual core for now, unless you do alot of super HQ rendering or something.
Quote from spankmeyer :I take my words back.

You'll notice a difference on your bank account status as you realize you wasted a big load of cash on something as silly as quad-core processors if your income doesn't depend on it.

I agree.

You already have a decent system buddy, no need to get a quad core. Wait for something else in the future.
Quote from spankmeyer :You could put the air I sent you into your computer and call it a day as the performance increase would be equal compared to a quad-core processor in your case.

putting cool finnish air into his case might actually help
It's not just decent, it's quick kick a**. I would settle for one of those 7950gt cards, but you already have four. I get all my gfx work done on a single (relatively) lousy x800pro, and really- I can't complain. Once again I fail to understand why anyone would want to top their system out like this, when it can already obviously run anything you could possibly throw at it.

There are people in the world who would be happy with just a loaf of bread, you know!?
Quote from wheel4hummer :Getting a yotta-core processor. Need your opinions.

Thats a "yotta" money to waste.

You guys see what I just did there?
Yotta strange fella! What a yotta?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG