The online racing simulator
**spoilers** 2007 Canadian GP
(179 posts, started )
having now seen this clip.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWZ7iKXfLXs

its clear that he didnt catch the parked car,the dust came from the tarmac at the side of the track which gave the appearance that he hit the car from the tv angle replays.
Tango
Quote from thisnameistaken :Well, Jaques Villeneuve had (a) and (b). How well did Hamilton know McLaren's F1 team before he signed for this year anyway? I know they supported him over the years but it's not like he was racing out of their garage with the same mechanics or whatever.

Hmmm I didn't think of Jaques. As I said though by no means saying he doesn't have talent or that it is extraordinary what he has achieved. He just hasn't done anything IMO of all the hype (like last on grid to podium for example)
Each to their own opinion though.

Quote from Tango :having now seen this clip.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWZ7iKXfLXs

its clear that he didnt catch the parked car,the dust came from the tarmac at the side of the track which gave the appearance that he hit the car from the tv angle replays.
Tango

It doesn't show that he didn't hit the Toyota, from that angle the first time you see Kubica he is already going off. From assumptions i made when seeing the crash was that he hit the toyota damaging his front wing loosing fron downforce and so effectively understeering into the wall.
Quote from Greboth :
It doesn't show that he didn't hit the Toyota, from that angle the first time you see Kubica he is already going off. From assumptions i made when seeing the crash was that he hit the toyota damaging his front wing loosing fron downforce and so effectively understeering into the wall.

He's talking about the abandoned car, some people on the LFS forum had wrongly assumed it hit the parked car and that the car was in a dangerous place, that vid clearly shows it wasn't.
The guys 22 years old, already winning races. Fernando had the same car and wasnt able to do what Lewis did. The kids got speed, he's got flair and he likes a loose car. He's also not scared to have a go, a skill sorely missing in a modern day F1 driver.

It's also the reason why I gave a cheer to Sato when he did Fernando too.
Drivers like Kimi are only fast when they have clear air, I can't remember ever seeing him pass someone for position on the track. I think he's over rated.
Quote from radweld :
Drivers like Kimi are only fast when they have clear air, I can't remember ever seeing him pass someone for position on the track. I think he's over rated.

Replace Kimi with Hamilton and that pretty much somes up how I feel about him based on what he's done so far.
Quote from ajp71 :Replace Kimi with Hamilton and that pretty much somes up how I feel about him based on what he's done so far.

You obviously haven't seen him racing in other classes then. Believe me, Lewis can battle, overtake and race, no problem at all.

I cant wait for him to have to replace an engine so he starts lower down the grid, just to shut the doubters up.
Quote from Greboth :Hmmm I didn't think of Jaques. As I said though by no means saying he doesn't have talent or that it is extraordinary what he has achieved. He just hasn't done anything IMO of all the hype (like last on grid to podium for example)
Each to their own opinion though.

TBH I think Fernando is two or three tenths quicker than Lewis at the moment when his weekend goes right. I haven't seen any evidence of Lewis being mega-quick yet, but he has been consistent. At worst you could say he's got a young Coulthard's potential, but (crucially!) without Coulthard's habit of losing his bottle and throwing his championship chances away with silly nervous mid-season mistakes under pressure.
Seriously Hamilton could raise the dead and part the red sea and ppl would go meh anyone can do that....

Theres been plenty of wonderkids hit the scene in good cars and never kicked the goals this guy is doing,hes not the messiah or anything but he is good...

I,m a Webber fan (Go Aussie) i swear that guy eats black cats smothered in broken mirrors while walking underneath a ladder.
Quote from The Moose :You obviously haven't seen him racing in other classes then. Believe me, Lewis can battle, overtake and race, no problem at all.

I have and he's a danger, the overtake at Becketts was wrongly heralded as being brilliant, forcing two cars off the track at high speed isn't a great overtake. He span far too much and yes I did see his best GP2 race where he spun then pulled right across in front of traffic in a dangerous rejoin, which rather spoiled his following drive, which had a mixture of simply overtaking badly driven cars, some totally idiotic moments and some strokes of genius. No doubt he's done well and is a very good driver, but he's done nothing in F1 (or GP2 for that matter) that shows anything really special.
If Hamilton hasn't done anything special then what would you call the performances of the other young talents Rosberg, Kubica and Kovalainen?

Did they make more mistakes in their first six races? yes

Have they consistantly been on the pace of their more expirienced team mates? no

Were their team mates world champions? no

What more do you want? Unless you think the three drivers I mentioned are completely useless, you must recognize that LH has been very special.
@JB - True Hamilton has out driven other newcomers, although none of them have a front running car and none of them have been with a team for as long as Hamilton has. Yes he's outdriven his teammate, yes that is impressive, but it's nothing great, did we see his true colours in the whole 'it's unfair blah blah blah' Monaco bollocks? I for one feel McLaren is pushing Hamilton harder than Alonso, he's a better story atm. What I'm saying is that based on his F1 performances he can drive the fastest car on the grid consistently fast, that doesn't make him a great driver in my books, other drivers have had better starts to their F1 career's can't remember his name but there was the guy who one his first and only Grand Prix in the fifties, now he's not an all time great is he?

For those commenting on Lauda/Moss saying he's great, well might it not be they're just catching on the band wagon? It's really to early to tell even the great Jackie Stewart reckoned Jan Magnussen was the next Senna, and who remembers him? He may have had great natural talent but just couldn't cut it in F1, I've seen no evidence Hamilton can do anything but sit in his car and drive it quickly, he's already proved he like bitching and is prepared to play dirty on the start, but thankfully no repeat of his GP2 'overtaking' moves yet. Do you not get it the more people go on about Hamilton being great having not actually done anything the more it seems ridiculous from my viewpoint?
Keep hearing how LH has the best team and best car, funnily enough so does Alonso (you know that dude with two titles and millions of miles of experience)to come into F1 without say the normal 2 odd years doing testing and podium every round is super impressive .

i think its pretty fair to say he is kicking some big goals , and probably deserves the accolades but everyone has had more then enough of the hype and PR bullshit , it will end up turning people against him as its doing now..
^^ No question that Hamilton has so far outshone Alonso, but he has had far more testing time than Alonso and Alonso has had a pretty shoddy season so far. The point is though Alonso himself is good, the best driver/car combo last year but isn't an all time great. Great drivers aren't decided on a handful of races in which they didn't do anything special and virtually haven't made an overtake. Great drivers never give up, cause embarisments when they are put in inferior machinery and can handle anything that's thrown at them, so far Hamilton hasn't been tested.
Quote :there was the guy who one his first and only Grand Prix in the fifties, now he's not an all time great is he?

Jacky Ickx.

Jean Alesi ALMOST won his second race, which might sound unremarkable by comparison until you consider he was in a Tyrrell, and was holding off Ayrton Senna... However he didn't win, and came home second beyond the Brazilian.

In my mind: We havn't seen enough of Hamilton in F1 to know his true potential, but those of us who no longer have an open mind are idiots. Personally I wish him all the best whilst not judging him. I can say i'm impressed by what I see so far.
Quote from Becky Rose :Jacky Ickx.

Nah it was much earlier than that and his one and only GP, and it was a pretty impressive win as well IIRC in some old machinery against the greats of the time.

Quote :
In my mind: We havn't seen enough of Hamilton in F1 to know his true potential, but those of us who no longer have an open mind are idiots. Personally I wish him all the best whilst not judging him. I can say i'm impressed by what I see so far.

That's more like it He's impressed me in the same way quite a lot of F1 drivers have, but he's not done anything that's going to make him stand out in history yet.
Quote :Nah it was much earlier than that and his one and only GP, and it was a pretty impressive win as well IIRC in some old machinery against the greats of the time.

Hang on, this got me curious so I looked it up. It turns out Jacky Ickx came 6th in his first race. So I have been utterly wrong about that for years. I swear I read in a book only two drivers had done it (one being the first race ever of course). Anyway thanks to the internet....

*Giuseppe Farina Silverstone 1950 in an Alfa Romeo.

Johnnie Parsons Indianapolis 1950 in a Kurtis, won by entire lap - although Alfa Romeo where not in attendance (was this the year of the different rule set in the American races?)

Giancarlo Baghetti in a Ferrari, won by 0.1 seconds over Dan Gurney in a Porsche in the 1961 Rheims Grand Prix.

So there you have it, I was wrong.
*Had a small advantage in that this was the first Grand Prix ever
I finally got a chane to watch the canadian gp . wow strang race lol. I didn't imagine i'd see sato kicking alonso's ass like that so soon.

great performance by Hamilton. he's good at finding his rhythm and not making mistakes he didnt really have to show off his great racecraft in this race. good race for heidfeild as well and wurz.
I think its more likely that people will turn against the media, since Hamilton seems like a nice guy and has fought so hard to get where he is. Hamilton seems to me more like Schumacher than Senna, he is calculated and faultless, but when he does make mistakes he bounces back even faster. I bet you Ferrari would trade Kimi for Hamilton if they had the offer. After all, Kimi the so called fastest driver in F1 has not exactly lived up to the hype. I just hope Hamilton keeps improving, and doesn't just fade after an explosive start.
Quote from ajp71 :Great drivers aren't decided on a handful of races in which they didn't do anything special and virtually haven't made an overtake. Great drivers never give up, cause embarisments when they are put in inferior machinery and can handle anything that's thrown at them, so far Hamilton hasn't been tested.

Quote from Becky Rose :In my mind: We havn't seen enough of Hamilton in F1 to know his true potential, but those of us who no longer have an open mind are idiots. Personally I wish him all the best whilst not judging him. I can say i'm impressed by what I see so far.

^^ Agree, he is doing a phenominal job but hasn't proven him to be as great as the media hype says and is too early to decide. This argument could go on forever though.

Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I think its more likely that people will turn against the media, since Hamilton seems like a nice guy and has fought so hard to get where he is. Hamilton seems to me more like Schumacher than Senna, he is calculated and faultless, but when he does make mistakes he bounces back even faster. I bet you Ferrari would trade Kimi for Hamilton if they had the offer. After all, Kimi the so called fastest driver in F1 has not exactly lived up to the hype. I just hope Hamilton keeps improving, and doesn't just fade after an explosive start.

Whether they are true or not but I have heard rumours of that Ferrari are considering a to pay anything to get Hamilton driving a Ferrari, to the extent of offering a blank check.
why does everyone say that hamilton is a nice guy? he seems like a cocky little shit to me.

that being said, i have to admit he does have talent. i wasn't so sure at the start of the season, but he's proving himself as it goes along.
Quote from Greboth :
Whether they are true or not but I have heard rumours of that Ferrari are considering a to pay anything to get Hamilton driving a Ferrari, to the extent of offering a blank check.

Gimme a damn blank cheque, and I'll learn how to drive like that twat, and I'll look damn good doing it.
lol whats with allthe namecalling? Haters
Quote from evilgeek :why does everyone say that hamilton is a nice guy? he seems like a cocky little shit to me.

Reasons?

I wouldnt call any person what you just called him. You must have strong evidence for this.

**spoilers** 2007 Canadian GP
(179 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG