The online racing simulator
New car
(23 posts, started )
New car
For various reasons I'm looking to get a new car soon and I've got a VW Bora lined up as a potential - I'm obviously going to test drive it, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on similar spec cars.

I'm particularly going to test drive the 1.9 TDI Highline model (130BHP) to give you an idea of what I want. Must haves are an alarm and immobiliser, aircon, remote locking, electric windows, etc.

Other than a Focus, or a C4, I've not got many ideas. I'm trying to avoid super-mini's, such as the 206s, Fiestas, etc. this time, and the Bora, like most VWs, seems to hold it's value better than most.
BMW 118d? Volvo XC30?
I'm learning to drive in a Focus, its a pretty good car to drive, just the rear window is a tad small to look out of. But other than that its a cracking car. Even the 1.6 petrol is pretty eager to rev
Why not a Ferrari Enzo or is that out of your price range

Seriously, a Honda Civic saloon, my sister has one and she thinks its great

Good luck in searching
VW Golf, Ford Mondeo, Vauxhall Vectra, Vauxhall astra etc. Or, if you want to go for a good, reliable used car, why not have a look at a (02-05?) plate BMW 3 series compact? They can be picked up for a good price now and still are in good condition with low mileage. But one thing is for sure, DO NOT go for a 1 series BMW, they are too overpriced even for the bottom of the range 1.6
Would you be looking at a MK4 or a MK5 Bora TDI? I've driven both, and they're both excellent cars. I love VW interiors, and both the MK4 and the MK5 have really nice ones. The TDI is a very nice engine, too, and is pretty easy on gas. I'd go for it, but I own a MK4, so I might be a little bit biased.
VW Bora is called a Jetta here in the states, right? Or does my memory suck? Both?

Anway, I love 'em, but I have to follow my instincts and tell you to buy a Saab

I dunno how pricing compares on the other side of the pond, but used ones can be found relatively cheap and in good shape. Plus tehy're great cars!
New car, caviar, four star daydream,
Think Ill buy me a football team...

Hehe go ahead.
Quote from niall09 :Seriously, a Honda Civic saloon, my sister has one and she thinks its great

I hadn't seriously considered a civic - nice suggestion

Quote from Nathan_French_14 :VW Golf, Ford Mondeo, Vauxhall Vectra, Vauxhall astra etc. Or, if you want to go for a good, reliable used car, why not have a look at a (02-05?) plate BMW 3 series compact?

The insurance on a BMW 3 series isn't the best in the world, shall we say. Interestingly the Bora is lower than my 206. Probably because it's more theft proof... As for astra's, etc. I've driven them and not got anything special out of them.

Quote from 96 GTS :Would you be looking at a MK4 or a MK5 Bora TDI? I've driven both, and they're both excellent cars. I love VW interiors, and both the MK4 and the MK5 have really nice ones. The TDI is a very nice engine, too, and is pretty easy on gas. I'd go for it, but I own a MK4, so I might be a little bit biased.

Either the mk4 or 5, I've specificially got a mk5 picked out but I'm open to either. Totally agree with you on the interiors, etc. and thank you for your comments on the engine - just what I hoped to hear
Quote from the_angry_angel :Either the mk4 or 5, I've specificially got a mk5 picked out but I'm open to either. Total ly agree with you on the interiors, etc. and thank you for your comments on the engine - just what I hoped to hear

I've heard many good things about the 1.9 TDI, including it's tuning potential, if you're in to that sort of thing. Apparently, getting 200bhp isn't too difficult, with much more than that possible.

The engine is massively torquey too, it actually feels faster than my 2.8L VR6 off the line, and it certainly gets better fuel economy. The U.S. spec MK4 diesel gets around 45mpg on the highway, which works out to about 5.2L/100km, so, pretty good.

I also happen to really like the way the Bora/Jetta look, so that's a plus too. I'm interested to see how things work out. Keep us posted
Skoda Fabia VRS? 1.9 TDI 130bhp, cheap too. Assuming you're not worried about the brand name (undeserved since VW took ownership).

Did very well in the TopGear 2005 survey (http://www.topgear.com/content ... 005/11/stories/01/20.html)

and yes I own one not sure if they are considered a 'super mini' though, they probably are though...
Quote from the_angry_angel :For various reasons I'm looking to get a new car soon and I've got a VW Bora lined up as a potential - I'm obviously going to test drive it, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on similar spec cars.

I'm particularly going to test drive the 1.9 TDI Highline model (130BHP) to give you an idea of what I want. Must haves are an alarm and immobiliser, aircon, remote locking, electric windows, etc.

Other than a Focus, or a C4, I've not got many ideas. I'm trying to avoid super-mini's, such as the 206s, Fiestas, etc. this time, and the Bora, like most VWs, seems to hold it's value better than most.

well since i have a fair bit of car knowlege , its always good to stay away from french cars ( e.g peugoet ) if i where you id got for the bora and run it on bio deisil ( if you can find it ) anything german will last for a good few years and by the spec that you named if have no probs buying that bora
#13 - CSU1
Quote from theirishnoob :well since i have a fair bit of car knowlege , its always good to stay away from french cars ( e.g peugoet ) if i where you id got for the bora and run it on bio deisil ( if you can find it ) anything german will last for a good few years and by the spec that you named if have no probs buying that bora

Are you tryin to tell us that the bora will last for a few years? LMAO what a piece of shit imothe new golf was a real let down too 05>
Well if you don't mind LHD you could get an SRT-4 bought and shipped, SVA'd, MOT'd, and Insured for a year for less than 10k pounds, giving you 100 more HP than anything else that anyone has mentioned (230BHP, giving you about 270 at the flywheel) This would come with a class 1 alarm system. 30 MPG, if you want an idea on how big the interior and boot space is check a standard 02-05 Neon, best in it's class, well in the states as a compact sedan. For the price you cannot beat a new car, but if you want a pure daily driver this might not be the best car, it gets about 30 MPG and needs premium fuel. I don't know what else to say about the car other than performance wise it's even with a BoxterS, for a fraction of the cost.

Civics are always a good buy, but I would take a Golf over a Civic any day though. TD would be a better daily driver, get a decent bit of torque and better fuel economy.
#15 - CSU1
Quote from theirishnoob :

ive seen no trouble with golfs in my life , apart form kids who burn the clutch out all day that only real issue i seen was the toe and camber can un-aline itself like a mo-fo

)

as I said 05 onwards are only hitting propper servece milage now and the oul lad tells me boras are driving him nuts with mad readouts> last week he wouldnt even touch one, it came in running like a sick dog, puts it on the computer and it tells him "engine altitude pressure insufficient" < not that exact wording but something similar to aviation LOL1
The new golfs are fine if the body doesnt fall off the cahssie as your goin down the motorway. Who can fault the older golfs.
rover.
Quote from the_angry_angel :For various reasons I'm looking to get a new car soon and I've got a VW Bora lined up as a potential - I'm obviously going to test drive it, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on similar spec cars.

Yes go with the Bora mate of mine has one,1.9 TDI nice nippy car and economical,a few nice ones on this site www.pistonheads.com
-
(Nathan_French_14) DELETED by Nathan_French_14
@ the irishnoob, where did you get the idea that you can get a brand new SRT-4 shipped, taxed, mot'd, insured and then put a skyline motor in it and slicks for under £9500? I think your over exagerating alot as per usual
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :@ the irishnoob, where did you get the idea that you can get a brand new SRT-4 shipped, taxed, mot'd, insured and then put a skyline motor in it and slicks for under £9500? I think your over exagerating alot as per usual

great post ther e general but im sorry , i think ima have to burn ya right now

r32 is the motor out of the special golf's that are very rare there golf r32 cause of there 3.189 cc motor

god i love :bananadea 'ing noobs
#20 - Jakg
Quote from theirishnoob :noob of the day post

r32 is the motor out of the special golfs's that are very realy there caaleed golfsr32 cause of there 3.189 cc motor

this coming from the person no-one over 12 karts...?

Grow up.
Quote from 96 GTS :I've heard many good things about the 1.9 TDI, including it's tuning potential, if you're in to that sort of thing. Apparently, getting 200bhp isn't too difficult, with much more than that possible.

The engine is massively torquey too, it actually feels faster than my 2.8L VR6 off the line, and it certainly gets better fuel economy. The U.S. spec MK4 diesel gets around 45mpg on the highway, which works out to about 5.2L/100km, so, pretty good.

I'll second that - I remember test driving the 130bhp 1.9 TDI engine in a Seat Ibiza (although I went for the petrol 1.8T 20v in the end). Was good for a diesel, lots of torque - although like most diesels no sooner do you get going than it runs out of revs & air, and you've got to reach for the next gear.

If I had to do high mileage I'd definitely have gone for the 1.9 TDI and been happy with it. Especially, as mentioned, they're easily "adjusted" for more grunt. In fact, iirc, it's not unknown for the "130bhp" TDIs to be putting out rather more, completely unmodified.

The downside to the TDI Bora is that, speaking very generally, every Bora I encounter seems to be driven by an utter and complete f***ing twat who makes it his mission in life to drive as dangerously and aggressively as possible. I dunno what it is about them, it's just a Golf with a boot, and you see Golfs being driven in all manner of styles. Maybe they use the boot to put their brain in when driving.
Quote from theirishnoob :great post ther e general but im sorry , i think ima have to burn ya right now

r32 is the motor out of the special golf's that are very rare there golf r32 cause of there 3.189 cc motor

Lol, burning me? there's nothing noobish about me getting the wrong idea mainly due to the fact you were'nt specific enough. just by saying R32 engine can mean anything, but i got the idea you meant the skyline R32 straight six. But i still dont believe you could get all the for under £9500.

Btw, R32's are'nt that rare, i have seen quite alot since they were released. i suspose it's down to where i live
Quote from theirishnoob :great post ther e general but im sorry , i think ima have to burn ya right now

Whoops, I didn't realize the discussion had moved into another thead..

New car
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG