My thoughts on patch X
(196 posts, started )
Quote from Gentlefoot :I hope not. Getting the tyres to the required temps is part of the skill of hotlapping.

This topic had its own thread in the test patch forum, the hotlappers were against being forced to start from the pit every time they restart. As it gets in the way of hotlapping. I wish the test patch forum was still readable so I could check my info but the gist of it was that Scawen was not against allowing the hotlappers to start anywhere on the track or with whatever tire temps they want.

With the new patch we now have to start from the pits to qualify online don't we? ( My memory has gone to mush sorry :ashamed: ) everyone's fine with this as it adds realism. But offline hotlapping? Just irritating, so there's no need for it.

I used to drive form the bumper cam view because it gave an unobstructed view of the track. In one of the last patches we got an option to have the cockpit view without the sim drawing the car interior. So now I allways use that,as it adds realism for me. I bet any real racing driver would want such an unobstructed view of the track, we have power to do it in a sim so why not use it?
Restricting ourselves to the rules of real life just for the sake of it makes no sense.
Quote from -wes- :This topic had its own thread in the test patch forum, the hotlappers were against being forced to start from the pit every time they restart. As it gets in the way of hotlapping. I wish the test patch forum was still readable so I could check my info but the gist of it was that Scawen was not against allowing the hotlappers to start anywhere on the track or with whatever tire temps they want.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=12091
personally, as a racer, I would prefer the option at least to have the old reset. I like realism, and if I trash my car, then I should have to try to make my way to the pits, or be towed. I think servers should have the ability to disable teleport to pits during a race. There are ample tweaks you can do without going into the garage. The other alternative, is you have to physically drive into the garage for it to activate, rather than teleport to it.

Ven
Just a little analogy from me :

Cruisers and Drifters are like Pilot Fish hitching a ride on the mighty whale, the whale puts up with you as long as it receives a service (in this case the Initial Payment)

You may not like the above statement and it is not meant in a nasty way only factual.

Infact the cruisers and Drifters are receiving a game within a game but as everyone knows the Devs aim with this project is to produce the best racing sim on the net bar none and slowly but surely I believe that dream gets nearer day by day.
This thread is too long for me to read completely so forgive me if I repeat.

canreset=yes
canreset=no
canreset=x(seconds) to simulate waiting for track workers rolling you over.

During a 1hr race I ended up on my roof after "touching" a barrier and experiencing a weird physics glitch. That sucked!
Quote from Mike85 :Well Scawen can make also the tyres wear and heat optional. Its just a few lines of code I guess. Just code to make it go OFF/ON. But I guess he doesnt want that kind of scalability or he thinks it isnt worth the time. But I dont care about tire heat. Im fine with it.

In rfactor you can setup the level of realism. Why not LFS?

Because in LFS we don't dumb down things to cater for people with lesser skill, unless it is really needed because of some people not having certain hardware, like mouse steering and kb support for example. In LFS we expect the drivers to cope with these variables, since racing simulation, compare to real life is already soo monotonous and predictable, it wouldn't be fun if we take away these challenges, would it?
#157 - Woz
Quote from lambchop44 :This thread is too long for me to read completely so forgive me if I repeat.

canreset=yes
canreset=no
canreset=x(seconds) to simulate waiting for track workers rolling you over.

During a 1hr race I ended up on my roof after "touching" a barrier and experiencing a weird physics glitch. That sucked!

NO. The reset puts the car in places that are not safe in a race which is why they went. IRL there are NO race series, apart from rally, where the crowd will come out and right your car. The same with the marshalls. If you are on the roof you are out, simple as that.

The idea is that you run a REAL race server with no reset or a noob server with reset and repair. Only the noob servers which help people learn to drive should have the option enabled.

The cruise servers need to find a way to adapt because every patch will bring more things that damage your car and cause it to fail. Change the code so that when people jump to pits they are charged a car recovery fee if you want.

It's stupid that if you don't park your car correctly you loose it anyway because disconnects happen. You are modding a game with a single minded focus and that will not change. Learn to adapt
Quote from Woz :IRL there are NO race series, apart from rally, where the crowd will come out and right your car.

Well I still want it as an OPTION in case I'm running a rally server. I hate when people tell me how I have to play the game. The more options, the better you will suit your audience. If the option is unpopular then it will show when there are no servers using it.

And I don't need the car reset to a misc location... just roll it over. I agree that teleporting the car back to the track is just wrong.
The bit i dont get is.. if its supposed to be a "racing simulator" how can that be realistic you crashing from your driving or someone elses. thats motorsport for you.

IMO there shouldnt even be a reset button in racing servers. If you go on your roof it should be game over and you have to pit etc.

I go in the LTC servers quite regularly. although i do race aswell its just a break from racing once in a while. the best thing about cruise servers is the buzz you get flying past someone in a slower car after alll the hard work youve done acheving it.

Everyone should stop slating eachother and just get on with what they like doing in LFS each to their own and that

just my two pence.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=12091

Thanks, glad I haven't gone mad just yet.

Quote :Originally Posted by Scawen
Just in case anyone is concerned about this and which way it will go, I am quite convinced that hotlappers should be able to set the start position and the tyre temperatures. It would stop this messing around doing donuts and whatever before doing the hotlap. This decision is based on the opinions of the actual hotlappers, those guys who really do a lot of this, they want it that way, so it's more convenient to do the hot lap. They want to spend more time lapping and less time warming up the tyres. This is different from reality, that's true, but then LFS differs from reality in many ways, for convenience. For example we just appear on the grid, we don't have to drive to the race track - you know what I mean. If you want reality then just go racing in reality! If you want a sim then you are avoiding many of the problems of reality, and cutting it down to the actual racing. That's the purpose of a racing sim. Get in and RACE. Similarly the purpose of hotlapping is to get in and LAP!

#161 - Woz
Quote from lambchop44 :Well I still want it as an OPTION in case I'm running a rally server. I hate when people tell me how I have to play the game. The more options, the better you will suit your audience. If the option is unpopular then it will show when there are no servers using it.

And I don't need the car reset to a misc location... just roll it over. I agree that teleporting the car back to the track is just wrong.

Well we DO NOT HAVE RALLY in LFS. We have Rallycross which is VERY different and also does NOT have marshalls OR crowd come out and turn you over if you flip so that arguement goes as well.

Everyone is in the same boat so it's fair. The racing since patch X has been FAR better with less T1 madness because people KNOW they can't reset. This is a POSITIVE STEP.

Just wait until the driving view gets locked INSIDE the car when visible windscreen gets added as that will mean no more roof cam or follow cam. I can see the threads on that one already.

People wanted tyre wear and damage optional and I am sure when the damage model gets more complex there will be more people asking to have an "option" to disable it.

There are also threads asking to make the car balancing optional because peoples setups no longer work as well, again another pointless option.

All the people moaning post on the forum and the test patch area has been open for MONTHS with the patches that would become X. Why all the tears now, you should have paid attention like the rest of us.

Unlike other games, the test patches in LFS are stable and you only need to copy you LFS directory and install the patch into it so you can have the current patch and the test patch available.
Quote from Woz :NO. The reset puts the car in places that are not safe in a race which is why they went. IRL there are NO race series, apart from rally, where the crowd will come out and right your car. The same with the marshalls. If you are on the roof you are out, simple as that.

The idea is that you run a REAL race server with no reset or a noob server with reset and repair. Only the noob servers which help people learn to drive should have the option enabled.

The cruise servers need to find a way to adapt because every patch will bring more things that damage your car and cause it to fail. Change the code so that when people jump to pits they are charged a car recovery fee if you want.

It's stupid that if you don't park your car correctly you loose it anyway because disconnects happen. You are modding a game with a single minded focus and that will not change. Learn to adapt

I think what you missed about the post you quoted is that his point is that he ended up on his roof because of a physics glitch that will (presumably) eventually be fixed. The argument isn't that the reset option should be there permanently (I don't think), but rather that it should be there until the physics bugs are ironed out to the point where you don't end up on your lid for what ought to be inconsequential, incidental contact.

This philosophy is played out elsewhere in LFS quite often--take for example the debate over the ability to choose to fix damage. Many people are demanding it now, while those who understand the development path of LFS understand that the option to ignore repairs will come when the damage model is complete enough. In a similar way, I think it's fair to argue that the reset option should be present until the physics model is complete enough.
Quote from geeman1 :It's not hard to do. That is not the reason why it was removed. The reason is that Scawen was afraid that most of the servers would then be running the reset-nofix option instead of the full realistic option of not resetting at all. I think that is true. Sometimes you just have to shove people in the right direction, otherwise they will just take the easy way out.
LFS is a realistic simulation, people need to accept that.

I see what your saying, but i still think that serious servers such as the STCC ones will not allow reset at all
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :IMO there shouldnt even be a reset button in racing servers. If you go on your roof it should be game over and you have to pit etc.

thats the point, all the serious servers (ie CTRA, Conedodgers, Redline) will have reset disabled. Thats what this new option lets us do!
Overall, i like the additions of the new patch but whatever you guys have done to the handling of the FOX in paticular are in my opinion bloody awful.

Here's an example, before patch X i could consistently get 1.08's at BL GP with the FOX, but now im struggling to get a 1.09. I managed to get a low 1.09 last night but the car was stepping out all over the place. IT seems to handle more like a boat than a quick and nimble formula car. After speaking to people on the Redline racing servers i have found that other people are having the same problems getting to grips with the FOX in paticular. The back end feels very slippery and trying to drive as i was before patch x is a near imposibility as the car just spins out.

Must be something to do with the diff, because nothing else has changed physics wise
Quote from jaws99 :Overall, i like the additions of the new patch but whatever you guys have done to the handling of the FOX in paticular are in my opinion bloody awful.

The only physics change is the preload setting for the clutch pack. That defaults to some value for each car, even in older sets so just set that to 0 (it's under drivetrain). Then it will handle exactly like before. However, you should still go an tweak your set so that you can make use of the preload setting because it is helpful.
Yeah, Jak's correct. The /canreset option will always be set to no, or omitted from our configs because the default is no.

IMO, the reset option as it is now simply acknowledges that the reset option is an arcade-ish feature. If you're allowed to reset, you may as well be allowed to repair, since the act of resetting ITSELF is a HUGE departure from the concept of competitive racing. InstaFix is merely an acknowledgement of this fact, and the host now has control over what level of competitive participation happens in their server. Good news.

Since the beginning of the STCC league, any driver using the reset option has been instantly disqualified (and there have been a few!) - whether during the race or during quali. The STCC isn't the only league to take this approach, either. We can now enforce it mechanically rather than have to go through each replay and meticulously watch for any resetting. Huge step forward. Feature gratefully received.

We're in the "business" of sim racing.. anything that departs from sim racing will have to roll with the punches, and if that doesn't suit, you'll need to get involved in the development of the sim. The direction that LFS is going hasn't changed one iota. If you want to influence it for purposes other than sim racing, you'll have to become involved in the community more and make your requests known like the rest of us during test patch phases. Sorry, but that's just pure sense and reason. Anything else isn't reasonable and doesn't qualify as sensible.
blah blah blah.. blah blah and blah blah blahh bllahh blah blah blah blah..

yammer yammer yammer yammmmer yammer yammer blah blah.

spam spam spam spam spam blah blah!

just my two cents.

PS. I'm just trying to state that this thread, regardless on whether or not you're for or against the reset (which wasn't even the main point of this thread to begin with) we're just going in circles. We should just wait and see what happens.
Quote from Woz :Well we DO NOT HAVE RALLY in LFS. We have Rallycross which is VERY different and also does NOT have marshalls OR crowd come out and turn you over if you flip so that arguement goes as well.

Maybe, but marshals do remove stuck cars from gravel traps and in some cases help push start stalled cars. Tow trucks are used etc. If a car was on its roof and still drivable, the tow truck could drop it and the car could continue. You are dealing with absolutes when the real world, and even real racing, is full of variables. Don't presume to know it all and therefore dictate to everybody else how it should be.

Quote from Woz :Everyone is in the same boat so it's fair. The racing since patch X has been FAR better with less T1 madness because people KNOW they can't reset. This is a POSITIVE STEP.

No, it hasn't. Turn 1 is a problem and will always be a problem. Racers who take things more seriously will always be more careful than somebody who is less serious about it, or who simply is having a bad day. A sim is only as "realistic" as you want to make it when it comes to rules and attitudes.

Quote from Woz :Just wait until the driving view gets locked INSIDE the car when visible windscreen gets added as that will mean no more roof cam or follow cam. I can see the threads on that one already.

Yep, because there are options that are not "realistic" in the game now. But there are so many things that are absent from any sim that you do make exceptions to make the game playable and enjoyable. Draconian limitations only means that a very small subset of a very small community will be interested. It is especially pointless because organizations, like the STCC, can setup their own environments and rules to control this sort of thing all on their own without limitations being globally made by the developers who are being hounded by a minority

Quote from Woz :All the people moaning post on the forum and the test patch area has been open for MONTHS with the patches that would become X. Why all the tears now, you should have paid attention like the rest of us.

Some of us did, some of us made comments, and some of us have stated our position on this multiple times in the past whenever this discussion comes up.

The point is this is a game. Oh, don't get all horrified, yes, it is a simulator of a racing. But it is still a game. It should be enjoyable. It should be flexible. Quick pickup races on a public server should not be hobbled by rules and restrictions designed strictly for league, or one form of racing. Offline use should also not be unduly restricted. There does need to be focus. This is a racing simulator, therefore, the focus should go there. This is not a crashemup game, this is not a carwars game, it is a racing game. If a by-product is other forms of motorsports, then fine. But development time shouldn't be focused on those things.
Quote from jaws99 :...whatever you guys have done to the handling of the FOX in paticular are in my opinion bloody awful.

The diff clutch packed cars are actually easier to drive now due to preload and FOX wasn't handicapped.

So on to my diagnosis:

A) You suck.
B) Psychosomatic symptoms (you think it has changed therefore you drive it differently).
C) Mass psychosis at Redline Server. Possible causes include Parepin in tap water. Have you drank tap water recently?
D) You suck.
Quote from spankmeyer :The diff clutch packed cars are actually easier to drive now due to preload and FOX wasn't handicapped.

So on to my diagnosis:

A) You suck.
B) Psychosomatic symptoms (you think it has changed therefore you drive it differently).
C) Mass psychosis at Redline Server. Possible causes include Parepin in tap water. Have you drank tap water recently?
D) You suck.

I spent most of my time on LFS driving the FOX and trust me mate it handles differently. I can nearly allways be right at the front of races but since the patch ive been at the front of the middle pack and have had to change my original setup as it's undriveable. As i've said some people find they are driving faster with the new patch while others are stuggling like me. Im sure i will get used to it eventually its just a bit of a change after driving well for so long.
Unless you drove FOX with diff clutch pack earlier, nothing should be different with the FOX or setups. Therefore if you're still using locked or viscous diff, you really should not experiencing any handling difficulties.

Therefore the placebo card I called earlier.

Or maybe Scawen didn't tell us everything...

But then replays would go OOS...

And then everyone would be like...

Then Scawen would go like...

My thoughts on patch X
(196 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG