The online racing simulator
My thoughts on patch X
(196 posts, started )
My thoughts on patch X
Utter...... insanity.

It is completely abismal for cruise servers.
As for the changes to the reset, its stupid. The repair, on multiplayer, are you CRAZY!?!

I really really hope that you solve this ya know. I think the reset option should have three options. Repair|reset car|disabled. Not just to two of it.

Everything else about the patch I like, just, remember us cruise servers?

I am the admin of LTC, I've spent 10hours converting it to patch X, in total. and it feels like a complete waste of time.

I would either want an update to patch X, so that it does not repair the cars on a reset, or an adition into the insim, so that I can detect if a car has been reset (so they can be charged).

Also, whats the "went the wrong route" thing?

I hope this can be sorted out, or there is going to be lots of very unhappy S2 licence holders. I am one of them, that is for sure!
#2 - Slopi
No offense meant, but this is a RACE sim, not a cruise sim.

The changes made to reset seem perfectly fine for racing conditions, at least IMO.
Quote from Krammeh :Also, whats the "went the wrong route" thing?

It's if you leave the bounds of the track. Instead of resetting the car back (potentially on the racing line) it spectates you instead.

Quote :I hope this can be sorted out, or there is going to be lots of very unhappy S2 licence holders. I am one of them, that is for sure!

As you can see from the rest of the forum traffic, you're in an extreme minority here. Cruise isn't racing, and this is a racing simulator. No offense, but I don't think catering to cruise guys is high on Scawen's priorities list.
#4 - _rod_
Well if you think about reset option is quite arcade, so either be carefull and dont screw up, or leave it acarde... I quite like it honestly, should teach people a little more about propper racing.. make people run more carefull.. at least I think
surely if your just cruising do you really need to reset? could you just set it to no reset

SD,
Quote from Slopi :No offense meant, but this is a RACE sim, not a cruise sim.

The changes made to reset seem perfectly fine for racing conditions, at least IMO.

So, if you're in a race, I could PUMMEL you up the back, and then reset my car, and run off. how is that good for racing?
More options to please the end user of any software is never a bad thing. However, like any business/customer relationship, I'm sure Scawen is eager to please all those involved, not simply state "well that's not really what our product was designed for, so you're just S.O.L." I know the drifters of LFS will love the option to get right back into the action, instead of trying to catch up to the crowd from the pits. Having said that, the two options seem like extremes...a middle ground would be ideal. I would like to see the original "reset without repair" option included as well, hopefully in one of the early test patches for X.

As far as the cruise servers...they always have layouts with barricades. And we all know what happens if you go in a little hot to a turn and nick a barricade...a catastrophic tumbling hundreds of feet in the air, sometimes landing at inaccessible points on the course. Towing takes care of any situations where the car is too destroyed to continue, or if you get stuck in the sand, or whatever...but nothing short of a reset is going to help if you end up in the 2D crowd. There are serious consequences to pitting, regardless if it is a cruise server or a race server.
Quote from SparkyDave :surely if your just cruising do you really need to reset? could you just set it to no reset

SD,

causes BIG problems with everybody on their roofs. why not have three options tbh? It used to do it before, with the non repair, a simple variable for true or false would be easy enough to impliment.
#9 - Jakg
Quote from Krammeh :So, if you're in a race, I could PUMMEL you up the back, and then reset my car, and run off. how is that good for racing?

It's not. Thats why Scawen recommends reset is turned off on a proper host, but for a "n00bies" server or for displaying LFS it may be useful to leave it on;.
Quote from Krammeh :So, if you're in a race, I could PUMMEL you up the back, and then reset my car, and run off. how is that good for racing?

An insightful and intelligent argument there I think. Not. If you pummeled me up the back then ran off I'd hope you received a kick or ban.
How many LFS users are interested in racing?
How many interested in only cruising?
Long live democracy.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :It's if you leave the bounds of the track. Instead of resetting the car back (potentially on the racing line) it spectates you instead.

As you can see from the rest of the forum traffic, you're in an extreme minority here. Cruise isn't racing, and this is a racing simulator. No offense, but I don't think catering to cruise guys is high on Scawen's priorities list.

I've had over 2000 people join and use the cruise server, in about 4 weeks of having it online.

Not that much of a minority tbh mate
I agree it could be easy to impliment but how do cruisers end up on their roof?

do you have to observe speed limits in cruise? or is that somthing else Im thinking of?

SD.
Quote from al heeley :An insightful and intelligent argument there I think. Not. If you pummeled me up the back then ran off I'd hope you received a kick or ban.
How many LFS users are interested in racing?
How many interested in only cruising?
Long live democracy.

im not saying that is what I would do, but that is something that is going to be happening pretty soon. Thats what I think anyway...

There are lots of ****s around in online gaming. Everybody knows that.
Well you're not wrong there.
Quote from SparkyDave :I agree it could be easy to impliment but how do cruisers end up on their roof?

do you have to observe speed limits in cruise? or is that somthing else Im thinking of?

SD.

we use the red and while barriers, and you know how ... angry the rebounds are. lol!
OIC, I really will have to pop in and see this in action

SD.
To those who don't understand the cruise servers. They are set up with speed limits, but like real life, rarely does one follow the limits. There are suppose to be cops to take care of folks breaking the limits and the laws, just as there are in real life. Flame it all you want, but in the beginning, the CLC was quite a good distraction from racing the same combos over and over again.

What happened though, is the adults started this cruise stuff with the CLC servers, but the kids came in and over ran it with immaturity. No one follows rules and no one plays the "game" like it is suppose to be played. Thus, the cruise servers are nothing but a giant wrecking fest as of quite some time ago. I took my break from racing and played around on the CLC servers for a while. When the immature who can't actually race started filling it more and more, I got back to my racing (I found STCC servers then).

But sorry to say for the cruise servers, everyone else here is right. LFS is being developed as a racing simulator, not a cruising sim, not a drifting sim. There are many more issues that need addressed that are important to racing than to bother with minor issues about the minority that are not racing. There really is no reasoning behind asking for improvements, suggestions, or fixes for cruising or drifting or any other non-racing element because the focus is racing. Like I've said before, it would be like complaining that you could not figure skate in a hockey simulator even though they both are an ice sport.
#18 - joen
Quote from Slopi :this is a RACE sim, not a cruise sim.

That's where the discussion ends imo. Catering to subcultures like cruising is silly. Cruising was never the aim of LFS in the first place. Just because some people choose to use LFS in such a way does not mean LFS development should somehow change course and keep the cruising into account.
#19 - Tomi
Krammeh just won the stupid thread of the week award
You just won for the most pointless post.

I tried and i dont get, hows flamming someone makes me better? Must be something about the e-pennis that everyone talks about...
Where exactly does it say that reset = repair? I have never seen it on my server with reset enabled.

DK
As everyone say it a racing sim, then i think there a real race example of how was the "old" reset system i.m.o.

In some local rally races where sometimes cars gets on 2 wheels ... ends up on side, and then some nearby spectators push car back on wheels, and where it's up to the driver to continue or not with his damage, i think it compares well at how was the "old" reset system.

Sure the auto reset back on track can get annoying on a race server, but as it was already there, it could just be added the the new reset options.Then it's up to the host to decide how to run his server.If someone ain't like how a server is set, then he shouldn't join it.

Just my 2cents
Quote from Krammeh :I would either want an update to patch X, so that it does not repair the cars on a reset, or an adition into the insim, so that I can detect if a car has been reset (so they can be charged).

Hmm you might want to take a look at CRS (Car ReSet) packet then.
If you had followed the testpatches this whole thread could have been saved and you could have talked to Scawen before release, so now shut up!
Quote from hackerx :Hmm you might want to take a look at CRS (Car ReSet) packet then.

didn't see that. thanks.

My thoughts on patch X
(196 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG