The online racing simulator
Something needs to be done with the HANDICAPS!
I really think this should be a server option and not a requirement!!! You could post up online the official handicaps for servers to use if they wanted to be official, but having this handicap in a race of all XRT drivers is completely stupid. I usually use between 7-10 percent fuel to control how slippery the rear of the XRT is, thats a difference of less than 2 kg. 20kg makes a pretty big difference...

Sorry, but +20kg IS what the XRR is now. Sorry about your all-XRR race, but why does it affect it if all cars are equal? The Pentalty on the FZR is very harsh, because all setups need rethinks, and it eats tires and chugs gas at alarming rates now.
Quote from wasaabi :I really think this should be a server option and not a requirement!!! You could post up online the official handicaps for servers to use if they wanted to be official, but having this handicap in a race of all XRT drivers is completely stupid. I usually use between 7-10 percent fuel to control how slippery the rear of the XRT is, thats a difference of less than 2 kg. 20kg makes a pretty big difference...

first of all, you missed your chance to give input on the handicap system. there was absolutely loads of discussion on the subject during patch testing (W17 and so on).

second, using fuel to adjust the handling of the car is stupid.
But I think wasaabi is right, because the most drivers who use XRT are demoracers and on demo you have nothing to compare with the XRT. I think it would be better to make it a server option so that the people who play online in a server with the XRT just can set normal times that can be compared with the lfsworld times and can drive unofficial WR's...
Having a server option to disable global handicaps would just make servers not use the handicaps.
Making the handicaps disabled while there is only one car available would just add unnecessary complexity.
You're very eager to find "what's wrong with LFS", aren't you? I'm all for constructive criticism, but what you're pulling off here seems to be overly pessimistic banter.

Please don't take it personally, and maybe I'm wrong, but something just really irks me about your posts.
Please. Nothing is "wrong" with Patch X. It improves many aspects of LFS, and moves its development forward.

Balancing the classes is a priority of dev's so the Entire community had the opportunity to participate in balancing them. You didn't choose to, your loss.
Quote from srdsprinter :Balancing the classes is a priority of dev's so the Entire community had the opportunity to participate in balancing them. You didn't choose to, your loss.

Everybody can participate in the balancing even now. Scawen can adjust the handicaps at any moment without a patch.
Indeed. In fact we all need to engage in testing (at least those of us who want to complain).

While i agree, online testing various weights/intakes could help the balancing process, not making the pentalties mandatory just add unneccessary amounts of confusion.
#10 - joen
Funny how some people know so well how to criticize changes in LFS all the time, yet choose not to partake in discussions about planned changes before they are implemented and complain afterwards. Talk about obnoxious, passive and clueless.

Besides, the whole handicap system is temporary anyway until definitive changes are made to the cars specs. So if you have constructive suggestions for it, act now and don't come complaining when it's too late again...
Its not my job to be part of the damn devolopment team! I didn't think there'd be stupid crap like this coming down the pipeline. What has happened here, is that the drivers have been driving, and the forum-junkies have been discussing the changes! why fix something that isnt broken? I get used to driving the XRT with my setups around tracks, and now theres a completely pointless 20kg stacked on it, which throws it off completely. thats just great that there planning on screwing around with EVERYTHING again, go on and see if I buy S3... Theres no point in getting good at something if the skill is useless again in a few months!! I happily bought S1, and when S2 came out I was a little pissed but I bought it anyway assuming that the physics and cars were going to stay mostly the same. I'm NOT buying S3 if theres going to be another one of these epic changeovers. I'd have stuck a fork in S2 and called it done after the connecting issues were fixed and maybe a few other small interface things. Because, the old S2 is what I bought, and not X!

Dont get me wrong though the global handicap system is the only problem I've got with the new version, other than that they've done a great job fixing up the game.
#13 - joen
Quote from wasaabi :but I bought it anyway assuming that the physics and cars were going to stay mostly the same.

All I can say is that if you're hoping for the physics model to stay the same forever, you're going to be dissapointed. It's not finished after all, this sim is a work in progress.

Quote :the old S2 is what I bought, and not X!

Quote :
End-user license agreement
1.4You must be aware that we can alter any aspect of LFS as we see fit. Improvements, fixes and/or changes made to the game, are to be expected.

Just to be clear, I wasn't referring to you in my previous post. Sorry if it came across that way.
Quote from joen :All I can say is that if you're hoping for the physics model to stay the same forever, you're going to be dissapointed. It's not finished after all, this sim is a work in progress.

Just to be clear, I wasn't referring to you in my previous post. Sorry if it came across that way.

whatever, I make games too on a completely amateur level and even I know "if its in doubt, make it an option". And I know hes got the right to change his software, I've got my right to not buy the next version.
Fair enough, but complaining over widely accepted improvements from something clearly laid out in the end user agreement will get you nowhere.
neither will your postcount whoring, go away
Quote from wasaabi :whatever, I make games too on a completely amateur level and even I know "if its in doubt, make it an option". And I know hes got the right to change his software, I've got my right to not buy the next version.

You make games. Scavier makes a Sim. Huge difference.

A racing Simulation, which they want to be at their prefered level of realism. You don't like it, it doesn't bother them. As they've said, they aren't doing this for you.
Quote from Mike85 :Thats whats wrong with LFS. Not everyone was discussing that patch W17. Only testers.

And then we get the official patch which has many stuff wrong.

Anyone could test the patches. That's what's 'right' about LFS.
Quote from wasaabi :Its not my job to be part of the damn devolopment team!

LFS has operated this way for four years. It's not going to change because you're pissed off about 20kg.

Quote from wasaabi :I didn't think there'd be stupid crap like this coming down the pipeline. What has happened here, is that the drivers have been driving, and the forum-junkies have been discussing the changes!

People giving feedback - that's what happens on forums (big surprise). You sure found this place quick enough when you wanted to complain though ...

Quote from wasaabi : why fix something that isnt broken? I get used to driving the XRT with my setups around tracks, and now theres a completely pointless 20kg stacked on it, which throws it off completely.

Sucks to be you. Thing is, it's happened to all of us. The other thing is, loads of people complained about the uneven car classes (GTRs especially) and the devs decided to do something about it. Public opinion in action. There was plenty of time to make yourself heard.

Quote from wasaabi :thats just great that there planning on screwing around with EVERYTHING again, go on and see if I buy S3... Theres no point in getting good at something if the skill is useless again in a few months!!

That's the spirit, give up before you even try. I hope they continue to "screw around" because there are plenty of things in LFS that aren't yet complete (physics, damage being two of the big ones) or even included (weather, night). I really don't care if all my setups and PBs are voided by new changes if it means the driving experience is better. If you want something that doesn't change, play GT4.

Quote from wasaabi :I happily bought S1, and when S2 came out I was a little pissed but I bought it anyway assuming that the physics and cars were going to stay mostly the same.

You should've read the forum

Quote from wasaabi :I'm NOT buying S3 if theres going to be another one of these epic changeovers. I'd have stuck a fork in S2 and called it done after the connecting issues were fixed and maybe a few other small interface things. Because, the old S2 is what I bought, and not X!

You bought a Work In Progress known as S2 Alpha. If you thought S2 was "done", you clearly don't know a race sim from a bag of cherries and you know even less about how this dev team has operated since 2003.

Quote from wasaabi :Dont get me wrong though the global handicap system is the only problem I've got with the new version, other than that they've done a great job fixing up the game.

So how do you explain the rest of your rant? First it's some epic change that has you in knots because all your sets need to be re-tooled and there's no way you're buying S3 if they do something like it again, the very next second "they've done a great job" fixing it! Make up your mind ...
Quote from srdsprinter :You make games. Scavier makes a Sim. Huge difference.

A racing Simulation, which they want to be at their prefered level of realism. You don't like it, it doesn't bother them. As they've said, they aren't doing this for you.

561!! keep the useless BS coming!

I took a quick poll in the demo server that I was in before making this post and out of 14 people no one liked the idea of this handicap... I very rarely see TBO class races on S2 servers which is why I race in demo. I have the feeling these changes have been the result of bitching forum warriors such as yourself. And thats a shame.

and to you Mr. Breakin it down : The connection issue was something stupid that should have been gone a while ago, they did good to fix it! the other improvements done so far during S2 have been great, I like the new sounds and the rest of the interface stuff. Thats all great. This handicap to me is as stupid as it could possibly be. An unchangeable added weight thats only there during multiplayer, even in demo races where the XRT is the only TBO car. Doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me...
14 people in a demo server in two minutes versus feedback from hundreds of licensed forum members over weeks of testing. Very convincing.

The thing about LFS is that the developers use this forum (and its assorted warriors and post-count whores) to do exactly what's pissed you off: try new ideas, test patches, find bugs, add content/options. Leading up to a patch release, Scawen is in here frequently getting feedback and bug reports. A lot of the things implemented in LFS have in fact been as a result of suggestions from users. However, you can keep up to date or you can choose not to, your choice. Post or not, up to you. Just read for five minutes before you start bitching.

Bottom line, if you don't like the LFS development process, blame the devs! It's how they like to work and most of us whores dig it.
He has a point, though, whiny or not. What's the use of ballasting the XRT in the Demo servers?
I guess so it's the same as in the licensed servers. Imagine the bitching if someone got used to a +20kg XRT in the demo and then found the lighter one in S2 - or, more likely, drove a heavier one in S2 and then found it was 20kg lighter in the demo? "No faaaair, why can't we have a lighter one in S2 like in the demo, all my setups don't work, waaah," etc...
Surprisingly, people still don't grasp the meaning of temporary car class balancing...

And yes, it doesn't make that much sense to apply handicaps if everyone races with the same car, but then: what forced that limiting to just one car? Right, the imbalance in those classes!

Of course, people unable to see it as the chance of having good, balanced races with a whole class rather than one car, start moaning and demand immediate change...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG