Just a dumb, i guess, request for the community - Let's spice up things!
Hello folks.

Let me be blunt:
Could we see some different lighting?

That's right, lighting.
I've been on LFS for almost 8 months or so now and i'm quite sad to see that pretty much NOONE chooses another lighting than "clear day".

LFS is so much more pretty on other lighting settings.
And yeah, we "should not" use those all the time cause then we would get sick of them, right? Even more(sick of)/faster than the clear day lighting.

But guess what, day lighting do get OLD too after some time.

So i ask of server admins and such to try and change lighting settings once in a while. It makes for some welcome CHANGE on the "outlook" of things.

Then we can go back to the clear day one, no problem.
But let's just race once in a while on some sunsets/cloudy times.
Right, guys?

People complain about the "hotlapping attitude" of some racers (and i agree with their point of view) but we don't do a thing to try and change that. Lighting is one of the things that can change it, even if just a little bit.

But it's mainly cause i really like to race on other lighting settings.
Am i the only one?

Seriously? :/

Hope my point gets across.
Thanks for your time.

Ps.: And not to get off topic here but people do not change wind too, which maybe i can understand - they want a "perfect" enviroment.
But in real life the wind is always changing, aren't you guys proud of racing in a realistic simulator? So what's up? Tho i reckon that it shouldn't make such a huge difference as our current wind system does. Maybe then we should be using the low wind option once in a while?

I'm afraid to think that when the time comes when a dynamic weather system (wind, lighting and rain/snow, etc) is implanted on LFS people would still be racing (and 99% of the servers, as today is the case) on a "perfect" enviroment. No wind, same lighting, same thing. All the time. :/
Come on.
I really strongly agree with this, and I've been trying to get people to use other lighting settings for ages.
yeh, good suggestion, i was thin,ing rain aswell
Quote from Meanie :Hello folks.

Let me be blunt:
Could we see some different lighting?

That's right, lighting.
I've been on LFS for almost 8 months or so now and i'm quite sad to see that pretty much NOONE chooses another lighting than "clear day".

Heh, I've been in and out of LFS for a lot longer than 8 months, and agree with you entirely: only very very rarely do you find a server running different/cloudy/sunset lighting.

I find it ironic that every week there will be a thread posted suggesting improved or dynamic weather and lighting, they're told to search for the billion previous topics about it and that there might be that kind of thing in S3, and yet so rarely do we use the different weather/lighting possibilities we have now.

I think most tracks and all the cars look better with a lower/softer light, although that might just be the photographer in me.
Quote from harjun :yeh, good suggestion, i was thin,ing rain aswell

Difference being that different lighting settings are available now, whereas rain is a future thing.
I think the problem is of the same nature as what has now been solved with the new car reset system; as long as the current settings are default, the situation will probably never change.

IMO Scawen should implement a "random" setting for both wind and daylight, which should be selected by default when creating a server (and maybe get re-evaluated each race, or every couple of races - definable of course). Server admins can still change them back to whatever they want - it's just that without making it a default option it is very unlikely to be ever accepted as a standard.
But sunny is the best. On some tracks cloudy actually makes my eyes hurt.
Quote from AndroidXP :IMO Scawen should implement a "random" setting for both wind and daylight, which should be selected by default when creating a server (and maybe get re-evaluated each race, or every couple of races - definable of course). Server admins can still change them back to whatever they want - it's just that without making it a default option it is very unlikely to be ever accepted as a standard.

I like that idea, default random lighting and wind. I think a bit of a problem with lighting could be the same as the wind discussion not long ago. It's the hotlap racing mentality. People judge braking points, turn-in points, etc by shadows on the track. You change the lighting, and it changes the hotlapping. That of course is not my opinion, nor may it be many folks who will discuss here, but on the servers it may be. I ran in a small league where they set wind up and folk complained because the wind was affecting taking certain corners and headwinds were slowing them down.

But for me, I like the idea. I'm not a hotlap racer. Heck, I'm not even a fast racer.
But we all know that people complaining about a change is pretty much a given, so we can safely ignore that aspect
I agree with the OP.
Too bad this is one of those things people don't want to use because it makes racing harder. Wind is the same and other weather options in the future will be too.
That's why we need to be forced to use the weather options. Like a random system or something like that. I believe that was discussed a while ago.
Quote from AndroidXP :IMO Scawen should implement a "random" setting for both wind and daylight, which should be selected by default when creating a server (and maybe get re-evaluated each race, or every couple of races - definable of course). Server admins can still change them back to whatever they want - it's just that without making it a default option it is very unlikely to be ever accepted as a standard.

Good idea

Hopefully it wouldn't involve too much work to create a random light/wind generator, although obviously only Scawen would know for sure.

I wonder if he could work it like he did with the random start light timing?

Ultimately though, weather and lighting changes during longer races would be really cool. Lots of opportunities there for a genuine use of pit stops and tyre selection if it changes from dry to wet or vice versa mid race (asked for lots of times already, I'm sure ).
Agreed. I would like to see other lighting occasionally, instead of 'not at all' at the moment.

I once sprang a lighting change on racers for an ESL league race, nearly got lynched. Yet, they wanted a different lighting again the following event. Maybe people just need to get used to the idea first (like from this thread )
Great suggestion. I often wonder why only sunny conditions as well- the afternoon lighting is so much more dramatic. Guess most people are waiting for the big dynamic S3 weather. But that shouldn't stop us using the variations we have available now.
Yep was pretty funny looking back p1lot, the ones that complain are the ones that cant drive without shadows, same goes with wind, you cant please everybody all of the time everytime

I dont mind if wind is high off low or if its day or evening, driving in different conditions is somthing ive done since s1demo,
the olny times its really neccersary i guess to have 0 wind is when hotlapping.

You should look around for servers that run this though meanie i know 2 off top of my head that enforce this all the time

Deadmanracing (dMr)
OLT pro race server

mmmmmm Gives me an idea
Maybe in server list ingame/lfsworld server flags for conditions ?

ie VSMQC4

C1 (weather=0 wind=0)
C2 (weather=0 wind=1)
C3 (weather=0 wind=2)
C4 (weather=1 wind=0)
C5 (weather=1 wind=1)
C6 (weather=1 wind=2)
C7 (weather=2 wind=0)
C8 (weather=2 wind=1)
C9 (weather=2 wind=2)

?
#15 - MR_B
I also strongly agree to using various lighting, it give a welcome variety and also using random wind/lighting settings would be brilliant.

+1 indeed
Technically, cooler, later in the day/cloudier races can be far more intersting, as the cooler air is denser so you get a more responsive, and ever so slighter more powerful engine (especially noticable in the turbocharged cars).

Combine this with a cooler track temperature, and concequently, slightly less grippy tires, although harder to overheat (read, more agressive without cooking your rubber) and you have a slightly better race all round.
Quote from z3r0c00l :Technically, cooler, later in the day/cloudier races can be far more intersting, as the cooler air is denser so you get a more responsive, and ever so slighter more powerful engine (especially noticable in the turbocharged cars).

Combine this with a cooler track temperature, and concequently, slightly less grippy tires, although harder to overheat (read, more agressive without cooking your rubber) and you have a slightly better race all round.

I'm looking forward to this kind of weather effects - changing track temp / grip, lighting varying through a race, etc - far more than rain.

I actually like the cloudy lighting settings available now, but as it has no effect on the physics, I don't mind that people don't tend to use it.

The various servers have the option to set the lighting and wind as they see fit. I think it's more up to them to use them, rather than having the dev's force some kind weather scheme on the game - at least at this time.
+1 however I do understand why wind is so unpopular - a lot of us tweak our setups over time, from race to race. If the environment constantly changed it'd be pretty hard and pointless to tweak setups in this manner.
How about having an option to use internet weather services to pick a local weather into LFS? (local meaning the host) I don't know if it is technically possible, but I would be surprised if it was not.

I have not studied InSim enough to know, but perhaps there is an option to change the weather settings, so that an external application could do this on the server side.
Quote from P1lot :Agreed. I would like to see other lighting occasionally, instead of 'not at all' at the moment.

I once sprang a lighting change on racers for an ESL league race, nearly got lynched. Yet, they wanted a different lighting again the following event. Maybe people just need to get used to the idea first (like from this thread )

Had nothing to do with the change in lighting, we lynched ya because you changed it about 5mins before the damn race LOL

As for changes in lighting, should be a time-scaled thing IMO, the lighting conditions should take into account the current time on the server, and dish up different conditions, same with wind really.
^ Can't agree with that, or at least we'd need to have an artificial and much shorter day cycle than real time conditions. Otherwise the majority of all races would be held at dusk (or even night if we get it sometime). It's good in theory and I'd have nothing against server location based weather, but daylight control wouldn't be that great, IMO.
Just a cycle between darker conditions to lighter conditions, never dusk or night, maybe on a 4 hour cycle or something, it's just an idea........
Yeah, I was just referring to
Quote :the lighting conditions should take into account the current time on the server

which I interpreted as full day/night cycles in realtime. Just a little scaled (not completely random) lightning is fine by me
#24 - aoun
Sunset looks the best!!!!!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG