The online racing simulator
My thoughts on patch X
(196 posts, started )
Quote from Gunn :
The racing in LFS should improve due to this change. Whether or not cruising servers are effected or not isn't relevant. The popularity of cruising servers isn't relevant either.

Actually, it is. As I pointed out, probably around 15-20% of all people racing online do so on cruise servers. That's 15-20% of paying customers, which is a lot. Now, you don't hear me say that LFS should be cruise only, or race only. My point is that everyone should be able to play the game as he/she likes it, and it's only normal that the devs will implement some "cruise" features sooner or later, because cruisers make up for about 20% of all customers.

And I'm saying this because the devs are already listening to cruisers and implementing things here and there for them. So you can try to ignore the cruising part of the LFS community, or (like the devs) understand that they are also paying customers.

Imagine, Test Drive Unlimited with good physics. That would be awesome, and I think the TLC/TC/CC servers are coming more and more in the right direction for that.
Quote from Arfman :That's 15-20% of paying customers, which is a lot.

And all those people bought a racing simulator.

What if a group of people decided to use some FPS game not as a FPS game but as some sort of RPG game. And after a while they start demanding patches from the developers so they can play their own RPG type games better? What do you think a company like iD would say?

Quote :My point is that everyone should be able to play the game as he/she likes it, and it's only normal that the devs will implement some "cruise" features sooner or later, because cruisers make up for about 20% of all customers.

Everyone can play it like they want to, that does not mean every wish they have will be fulfilled, especially if it doesn´t fit in LFS´ development.
This isn´t about pleasing as many people as possible and it´s not about democracy.

And once more:

License agreement
1.4You must be aware that we can alter any aspect of LFS as we see fit. Improvements, fixes and/or changes made to the game, are to be expected.

once again, popularity isn´t the determining factor, it´s the goals of LFS.

Quote :And I'm saying this because the devs are already listening to cruisers and implementing things here and there for them.

Like what?

If the devs would want to have a TDU like game, they would have made it already. They probably would earn more from it too.
Is it just me or the points from both sides keep on repeating it self ? I been reading this thread everytime there is a new reply on it, and honestly very few people really wants a health dsicussion, some are just here to reply because this thread is somewhat popular and some here and just here to heat things up.

I think is thread is going nowhere now, everypoint that coulnd been show, has been showed, and people started reapeting themselves.

Now if the cruising guys want the old reset back, them they shouldnt have made a thread here, but in the improviments section.
Well I don't roll my car often enough to be bothered by this( remembers rolling it twice a few days ago! ) but I am glad
that there is still an option to reset. As it will help new drivers or people testing offline.

The goal of the dev's is to implement realsim that directly affects the racing aspect and to get rid of the annoying one's that don't.
This is why hotlapers will be able to start anywhere on the track with pre set tire temps if they want too( coming soon I think).

So you roll it your out, but we won't ever have to 'click' the engine start button(at the start of the race) or have to walk to the pits after a crash.
I mean who cares about that stuff?

If lfs gets a rally component you may see the return of reset with damage, as it would be perfectly realistic.

Its too late to moan about it now, the test patch ship has sailed and you had plenty of time to buy a ticket.
So why is it an issue that you now repair your car when resetting? Most race servers don't allow resets, so surely the new feature is good for cruise servers
Quote from Dru :on the same point, anyone know who you can remove the racer position list on the screen (not the connection list)

With so many people racing the list covers the entire right hand side and block view and also mirror - anyone know an option for moving this or rescaling in or turning it on and off?

Cheers,

Dru

It's in the display options mate
Quote from -wes- :
This is why hotlapers will be able to start anywhere on the track with pre set tire temps if they want too( coming soon I think).

I hope not. Getting the tyres to the required temps is part of the skill of hotlapping.
-
(andy29) DELETED by andy29
Quote from joen :And all those people bought a racing simulator.

Why are you on such a crusade against everyone that isn't using LFS as a racing simulator? Are we bothering you? Do you feel you have any negative sideeffects of more people buying LFS?

Quote :What if a group of people decided to use some FPS game not as a FPS game but as some sort of RPG game. And after a while they start demanding patches from the developers so they can play their own RPG type games better? What do you think a company like iD would say?

No one is demanding patches. The contacts between TC and the devs has always been friendly and in a mannered way.

Quote :Everyone can play it like they want to, that does not mean every wish they have will be fulfilled, especially if it doesn´t fit in LFS´ development.
This isn´t about pleasing as many people as possible and it´s not about democracy.

Where did you see me stating that "every wish I have has to be fulfilled"? I'm only saying certain options would be nice for cruise servers AND hardcore racesim servers, like barrier physics detection for instance. And maybe you should redefine "democracy". I'll bet that if iD gets enough requests for a RPG-like Doom 3 game, they'll make it. In the end, it's all about money.

Quote :And once more:
<snip EULA>
once again, popularity isn´t the determining factor, it´s the goals of LFS.

I'm betting that if cruise servers are getting even more popular than they are now, some things on the devlist will be put higher on the list (barrier physics, money system, you name it). Really, this is the real world and in the end, everything is about money. LFS is made by independent devs and at the end of the month, they have a mortgage and bills to pay. And if a "cruisesim" does that ...
I'm not saying LFS should turn into a cruisesim, IMHO cruising and hardcore racing (and even drifting for that matter) can coexist very nicely within the community.

Quote :Like what?

Things like ingame object editing, allowing more track objects to be placed in (possibly as soon as the) a next patch, those are things that came from cruiseservers, like it or not.

Quote :If the devs would want to have a TDU like game, they would have made it already. They probably would earn more from it too.

Why make it? LFS is already a darn good cruising game. If they add bigger tracks/environments and a rudimentary money system maybe, it will surely catch on.

Anyway, I don't see a problem with people using LFS as a cruisegame. I think Scawen can prioritize the things he wants to do very good, I don't think he needs someone like you telling him what LFS should be and should not be
Quote from Arfman :So you can try to ignore the cruising part of the LFS community, or (like the devs) understand that they are also paying customers.

Who said anything about ignoring anyone? Cruising is irrelevant to the development of LFS, simple as that. It isn't a matter of ignoring anybody. Cruising just isn't anything to do with racing. It isn't anybody's fault.
Or then let reset option as they are right now, and some real modifications need to be done on how cars react when they gently touch a barrier, to not get put into orbit

Then everyone will be happy
Quote from Oxcart :Or then let reset option as they are right now, and some real modifications need to be done on how cars react when they gently touch a barrier, to not get put into orbit

It really is astounding how much you guys must crash for this to be such an issue.

As a "normal" S2 user. I haven't had to use the reset or experienced the lift-off contact bug in recent memory. If I flip a car or get stuck in the gravel, my race is over (as it should be).

Yes, I am confident in saying, the dev's have fixing the bug on the to-do list.

Commercial titles (think GTR) offer variable realism settings (wear rates/damage rates, etc) to make them marketable to the largest number of consumers. This in fact is what disenfranchises many LFS users who just want the realism, equal for everyone all the time.

My advice to the cruise servers would be to try and embrace the new system, even if it doesn't drop in fluidly. Doing so lessens the divide between yourself and the rest of the LFS community, who needed this substantial improvement.
The problem of barrier ain't stick to city drive servers, it annoying on Autocross track when you push it a lil' to much over the limit and when in real it would have end just with a scratch on paint, you'll end up doing some freestyle aerobatics.
I still don't get why the lack of a reset, no-repair option is stopping you from cruising. If it was really that bad for most cruisers, wouldn't there be many more complaints about on this forum than around 3 or so? Here's an out-of-the-box idea... the people complaining just can't stay away from the walls and they have nothing better to do than complain now that patch X is out and all the other cruise servers have updated. (Have they?)

If you crash into a red-and-white barrier at any sort of speed, given their current physics, you will most definitely have a very broken car anyway, how do you drive with it unrepaired?

What is cruising anyway? The name implies that it is going around in circles at non-racing speeds, in which case, even if you're using the red and white barriers, how on earth do you end up on your roof?!
Quote from Arfman :In the end, it's all about money.

Right here is where everyone fails to realize why these arguements persist. That statement taken from a comment about iD, a different company and developer than the developers of LFS. That statement should be truthfully read as "In the end, it's all about money except for the LFS developers." You can talk all you want about how many people are in the cruise servers and how popular they are and how they are paying cutomers, it could be true or maybe not. But the failure to understand time and time and time again when drifting and cruising features are brought up is that LFS is not being developed to make money. It is being developed with the passion of developing a racing simulator. That is what you pay for, a work-in-progress racing simulator. Not a driving, cruising, drifting, or whatever simulator.

The fact that they are selling the software and making a living income off it is bonus. The fact is that you bought LFS with the understanding that it is a racing simulator and features will be added, deleted, or changed in the future to make it a better racing simulator. It is in the EUL that this is the case. Like someone else already stated, you (generally speaking) took a piece of software with a specific purpose (racing), found out that it could be used for a slightly different purpose (cruising or drifting). And now it is demanded that things change to support that different purpose that the software is being used for.
#140 - Dru
Quote from The Moose :It's in the display options mate

then you are a dead clever Moose - that Elk told me somethnig different and it did not work
Quote from Dru :then you are a dead clever Moose - that Elk told me somethnig different and it did not work

Right after he said it was Ctl+Tab he realised that's not what we were after and said it was in the display options...
The hearing aid is in the post
This thread is getting boring, extremely frustrating and very annoying.

LFS is an online racing simulator and its aim is in the title.

Caribbean Cruise (and the likes) are all mods of LFS and have to work within the confines of the game they use.

LFS is moving towards being the best racing sim, things could happen that will move it further away from the cruise mods goals, who will have to adapt to fit within the game they are a mod of, not the other way round.

I think some people have brought this game for the wrong reasons and are loosing sight of what it is really for.

We seem to going round in circles and I think this thread has run it's course.
boring, lame rant about a reset.
hate me yeah.
Quote from Arfman :Why are you on such a crusade against everyone that isn't using LFS as a racing simulator? Are we bothering you? Do you feel you have any negative sideeffects of more people buying LFS?

I am not on a crusade against anyone. I am merely giving my opinion on matters, I believe I am allowed to am I not? If you object to me giving my personal opinion I suggest you stay away from internet discussion forums. I have no problem with people using LFS in other ways than it was intended for. People asking for changes to LFS to turn it into something it's not and shouldn't be, that's a different matter.

Quote :
No one is demanding patches. The contacts between TC and the devs has always been friendly and in a mannered way.

Contacts between the devs and any member of LFS have always been friendly and mannered.

Quote :
I'm only saying certain options would be nice for cruise servers AND hardcore racesim servers

And I am saying I don't agree with that opinion.

Quote :
like barrier physics detection for instance.

Did I ever mention that would be a bad thing? Ofcourse that would be a good thing, and thus it will be completed.

Quote :And maybe you should redefine "democracy".

A system wherein decisions are made based upon consensus of the majority.
That's the best way I can.

Quote :
I'll bet that if iD gets enough requests for a RPG-like Doom 3 game, they'll make it.

Exactly, they would make an other game.

Quote :In the end, it's all about money.

And that's where you fail to see the difference between LFS and most other games.
No, the devs won't do it for free, but money isn't a determining factor in choices that are made for LFS. Don't believe me, look up some of Scawen's posts.

Quote :
I'm betting that if cruise servers are getting even more popular than they are now, some things on the devlist will be put higher on the list (barrier physics, money system, you name it).

I am absolutely convinced they wouldn't. There will never be a "money system". And once again, barrier physics is not "a cruising thing", it's part of the core of LFS and will be completed. I don't know where you would get the idea that it somehow has something to do with cruising servers.

Quote :
Really, this is the real world and in the end, everything is about money. LFS is made by independent devs and at the end of the month, they have a mortgage and bills to pay. And if a "cruisesim" does that ...

See below.

Quote from Scawen :
The money that we can make, although an important consideration, is simply not the primary driving force. If it was, then we should do something completely different, something mainstream. There are a lot of easier ways to make money. We're doing this because we like what we do.

I didn't know sales of S2 weren't sufficient to pay the devs bills?
They have been doing this for 5 years now, so my guess is that they're doing fine.

Quote :
I'm not saying LFS should turn into a cruisesim, IMHO cruising and hardcore racing (and even drifting for that matter) can coexist very nicely within the community.

I'm repeating myself again, but everyone can do whatever they want with LFS. I never said they couldn't.

Quote :
Things like ingame object editing, allowing more track objects to be placed in (possibly as soon as the) a next patch, those are things that came from cruiseservers, like it or not.

These are also not cruising specific things. The whole cruising thing can exist because of the Autocross editor which has been in LFS way before the first cruising server appeared.

Quote :
Anyway, I don't see a problem with people using LFS as a cruisegame. I think Scawen can prioritize the things he wants to do very good, I don't think he needs someone like you telling him what LFS should be and should not be

Please don't take my words out of their context. Reading something is not good enough, you have to be able to understand and interpret what you read as well.
I am not telling Scawen what to do at all. If you think I am like that you clearly have no clue about me. If you read through my post history you will see that I am completely the opposite telling people (like Mike85) they don't need to tell Scawen what to prioritize on or demand development plans and schedules from him.

All I am doing here is giving my personal view on it. If that's something you can't realise, deal with or if it affects you in any bad way may I suggest using the ignore feature of this board.
Quote from Oxcart :Or then let reset option as they are right now, and some real modifications need to be done on how cars react when they gently touch a barrier, to not get put into orbit

Why are those barriers used in the first place??? If I recall correctly, lanes are divided by markings on the ground...
Quote from garph :
LFS is an online racing simulator and its aim is in the title.

LFS is moving towards being the best racing sim, things could happen that will move it further away from the cruise mods goals, who will have to adapt to fit within the game they are a mod of, not the other way round.

It is the BEST!!!!

I would agree that it is a racing simulator and not a cruising sim - so sorry cruising guys - you'll either have to find a new game or just put up with it!

James
No need to fix anything because theres nothing broken.
And Scawen has decided
I think I give up. My posts weren't about the darn reset option, I think it's fine
as it is now. It adds to the realism, on cruise servers and race servers. I think I'll accept the fact that "we cruisers" are being considerend as lesser beings than the allmighty racers out there.

Let's drop this subject and get back to things we like to do: play LFS in one way or another.

My thoughts on patch X
(196 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG