The online racing simulator
My thoughts on patch X
(196 posts, started )
Quote from RAYfighter :+1 to the soon to be implemented allowreset option. But I disagree with Becky's reset=retire. I would prefer completely disabled reset key. And shift+S (which is obviously not an accidentally hit key) = retire from race.

Just like to point out.... /canreset=no was a (+1) request from a cruise server admin. Knowing there is more at stake from a mistake, makes LFS more challenging & enjoyable. Thanks for the shot of adrenalin Sca.Vi.Er.
Yeh, I love to see a community come together in such harmony..

While so few realise that there are drivers of VASTLY varying skill levels, and servers are required to cater to all skill levels. So few people in the world can look down from upon thier pedestal and smile smugly knowing that thier status as greek gods can go unchallenged.

The reset function not only caters to the cruise servers, but also caters to the servers who host races for children, younger players, and those without a Micheal Schumacher grasp of racing skills. The ability to have a reset/repair, reset/norepair, and noreset can cater to everyone fairly, and thus advance lesser players skills through time and practice.

Those who come in here and say Scawen did this to make it a hardcore sim, are forgetting one thing.. People who can never finish a race, are going to get pissed and leave to game, simply put. Not everyone is born with the god given talents that some people on this forum so highly tout. Without the servers catering to lesser skilled drivers, the evolution to become a more highly skilled driver will cease to exist completely.

You can call this arguement assanine all you wish, but the logic is irrefutable.

~Darksiede
people "who can never finish a race" without a reset button really bought the wrong game

your logic is highly refutable. The Reset button does not allow a driver to become better. How then are people In Real Life are still becoming better drivers?
Quote from srdsprinter :people "who can never finish a race" without a reset button really bought the wrong game

your logic is highly refutable. The Reset button does not allow a driver to become better. How then are people In Real Life are still becoming better drivers?

Regardless of how well this game simulates real life, this is not real life.. People are always going to be more bound to push the envelope when the worst punishment possible is merely loosing the game. You also fail to take into account the fact that there are keyboard drivers, mouse drivers, wheel drivers, and the people with the resources to have the best wheels and pedals. The possibilities are endless, and with a harshly defined reset/repair or noreset, then people are simply going to leave the game.

You may see argument in my logic, but that does not mean either of us are correct, nor able to speak for the vast majority. This is a world where everyone has an opinion, but that opinion is not always the correct answer, if there even is a correct answer. The communities lack of flexibility on an issue this miniscule is simply put, idiotic. By allowing the reset to cater to everyone, and the cruise servers, you are opening the game to many more players. Last time I checked, more players meant more money, which was win-win. Yes, this is aiming to be a hardcore sim, but allowing more customization, and catering to larger crowds can allow it to do so much more.

~Dark
Quote from Darksiede69 :People who can never finish a race, are going to get pissed and leave to game, simply put. Not everyone is born with the god given talents that some people on this forum so highly tout. Without the servers catering to lesser skilled drivers, the evolution to become a more highly skilled driver will cease to exist completely.

People who can never finish the race can... *reset their car* The damage is fixed and they can try again. Where is the problem???
Why is there even a topic about this? Scawen fully explained the reason why he removed the middle option for resetting a while ago. It seems the only people who don't like it are these stupid cruise servers, I'm not sure why the new reset option is an issue there. Surely if its just a fun community chill out area, then repairing damage while resetting is a good thing
You guys are all saying, its cruising not racing and not that many people do it. I guarantee that this server had more traffic then 95% off the racing servers out there.

And its not really cruising. Most of the time we go on there and do pick up races. I have yet to be on the server doing any kind of speed limit. But you all say "o well resets are not realistic anyway"

well hitting a cement wall at 10mph and then shooting 50 ft into the air is not to real either huh?

We want the old resets because of this flaw, we would not be left upside down if it was not for the horrible wall shooting flaw.

I cant stand the argument of realistic simulation, THIS ONE FLAW causes the entire sim to be completely unrealistic for me. I race IN REAL LIFE and have yet to be shot 50 ft in the air for rubbing a wall.

again, we want resets with no repair because he has yet to fix the wall shooting
If you did not know, majority is usually wrong

I can make odd race in a week, sometimes can be several weeks before I can race, still I don't need any kind of reset button to improve or to drive.

Problem to most is attitude, they drive it like in NFS and don't think what is wrong and how to improve, these guys have got wrong game, this is not arcade racing game to play where you could find magic button combo that beats everyone else, it is about hundreds hours of hard practise and training, making your errors and paying from them so you remember them next time. That is what separates game from simulation and it comes from simulating real thing.

If someone has problem with that, I'm afraid LFS can't offer what you are looking for, that is why many has said similar things here, because that IS Live for Speed, that is why many are here and also it is why core of LFS racers came to love with LFS.

So you can guess, why community comes against you in this matter

@ s-n-o-w Oh yes, wall bug, do you even realise how tiny thing that is?
Do you realise that it is intentionally left so as when damage system is upgraded to level what it is intended to be this problem is no more?
I haven't seen cars flying 50 feet when hitting wall at 10mph, only BL pits, other walls need more speed and if you would hit wall such speed your car should be totalled anyway, so it is same effect if you are upside down, imo.
Personaly I dont give a hoot about the old reset, I hated it and it caused problems for approaching cars when racing online. If drivers could be trusted to press it at an appropriate time I would have no problem with it being reintroduced, but until then any argument made by people wanting the old method back - from my point of view at least - is overridden by the amount of cars i've had appear directly in front of me.

It's bad enough that so many drivers still think it's okay to drive straight back on to the track after an accident without looking to see if it's a clear, without giving them a tool that puts them directly onto the racing line as they do so.
Quote :People who can never finish a race, are going to get pissed and leave to game, simply put.

I'm not being funny, but car reset isnt needed to help these people finish a race. An electric shock device might do it - but giving them car reset just makes a driver that you already describe as hopelessly dangerous even more volatile on the circuit. A server running disabled car reset is probably exactly what this classification of driver really needs to make them learn a little respect for the circuit and other cars.
#111 - Woz
Quote from Mike85 :Why dont you then ban mouse and keyboard users, because the wheel is more realistic?

Actually the community has already had that exact fight a few years back, I think patch E.

Before that patch the keyboard control system was really you saying what you wanted to happen and a control system then made sure the car did what you asked but within perfect limit of grip. Any loss of grip was automatically corrected etc etc.

This meant that most WR times were from KB players. When the first changes came through there were huge threads of fights. There was huge resistance to the change but now its all but forgotten about.

That was the large BIG change but even with S2 people bitched for ages trying to have an option so tyres did not wear or heat up etc.
Quote from Mike85 :Well Scawen can make also the tyres wear and heat optional. Its just a few lines of code I guess. Just code to make it go OFF/ON. But I guess he doesnt want that kind of scalability or he thinks it isnt worth the time. But I dont care about tire heat. Im fine with it.

In rfactor you can setup the level of realism. Why not LFS?

Well its an option. Another option is to just play rFactor. We should strive to be different and not an rfactor klone.
It's funny how many people have no idea how popular cruise servers are. I run the [TC] CitryDriving servers. Jamaica has 32 slots, and is almost allways filled with 20+ people. USA has 16 slots and has around 10 people playing on it, but it has to be said that's an old layout which will be replaced very soon.

So that's 30 people driving on TC servers all of the time. ATM, there are 362 racers online. So about 10% of people online at any given time are cruising, not accounting TLC/Caribbean Cruise/CityDriving clones drivers.

So I guess yeah, cruising is a big part of the LFS community, like it or not. Keeping that in mind, there's nothing wrong with Scawen making little modifications for cruise servers. FYI: canreset is set to NO on the TC servers, I think it adds realism, but that's not my point. My point is that cruising is more popular than most people think.

And wouldn't racers be happy with a better barrier detection/physics change? It would help a LOT for cruising, and also a big part for the "normal" racers.
Quote from Arfman :And wouldn't racers be happy with a better barrier detection/physics change? It would help a LOT for cruising, and also a big part for the "normal" racers.

Sure. That's why it has been on Scawens to do list for ages already. Or it might not even be there because it's so obvious that it needs to be done anyway..
Has the LX6 changed? because some how im 10x in love with it now then ever.... just grips like f*** and handels soo well!!!!!!!
Quote from aoun :Has the LX6 changed? because some how im 10x in love with it now then ever.... just grips like f*** and handels soo well!!!!!!!

Clutch pack diff preload helped a lot with stability. So, LX6 among other cars are much better to drive now.
The new reset in patch X is an improvement. It's great that admins can only select either no reset or reset with repair. This means very few race servers with the ability to reset the car, as no proper race server would allow instant repair. You can't have a proper race with a reset option so it's good that this has changed in X.

The racing in LFS should improve due to this change. Whether or not cruising servers are effected or not isn't relevant. The popularity of cruising servers isn't relevant either.

I remember when engine damage was first introduced, apparently it was going to drive many people away from LFS if they couldn't disable it.
I remember when tyre wear was introduced, apparently it was going to drive many people way from LFS if they couldn't disable it.
I remember when suspension damage was introduced, apparently it was going to drive many people away from LFS if they couldn't disable it.

This change is for the better and it won't drive people away either. Like it or not.
Quote from Mike85 :Time will tell. But I will try my best to persuade the devs to fix the reset for the Y patch. And then you will all cry

Well, good luck with that, I remember when someone before got this very same idea and for some odd reason nobody ever cried, maybe it had something to do with a fact that Devs do know what they are doing and they have chosen this, they are not likely to change it unless it has real big problems with their way of using LFS, this is how I have understood how lfs is being worked on.
Wow! 5 pages of discussion about the reset option. Is that the only thoughts anyone has on the new patch?

Personally I like having no reset. There are too many crashers on public servers and the reason people crash so much is that there is little penalty for doing so. This option results in a chance of more of a penalty at least.

I like the preload very much - seems to make the cars behave much more naturally at corner entry. It improves braking too.

I noticed when racing the split time and best lap times only appear as you cross the splits or finish. Is this an option? I prefer to be able to look at the split when it is convenient for me to do so and not necasarily at the moment I pass the timing beam.

Same in quali - it only shows your grid position when you cross the line. Is this an option too?
I just reckon it was a job well done on patch x.. getting closer and closer to the real thing
Quote from Gentlefoot :Wow! 5 pages of discussion about the reset option. Is that the only thoughts anyone has on the new patch?

Personally I like having no reset. There are too many crashers on public servers and the reason people crash so much is that there is little penalty for doing so. This option results in a chance of more of a penalty at least.

I like the preload very much - seems to make the cars behave much more naturally at corner entry. It improves braking too.

I noticed when racing the split time and best lap times only appear as you cross the splits or finish. Is this an option? I prefer to be able to look at the split when it is convenient for me to do so and not necasarily at the moment I pass the timing beam.

Same in quali - it only shows your grid position when you cross the line. Is this an option too?

CTRL+TAB changes the way qualy results are displayed
#123 - Dru
on the same point, anyone know who you can remove the racer position list on the screen (not the connection list)

With so many people racing the list covers the entire right hand side and block view and also mirror - anyone know an option for moving this or rescaling in or turning it on and off?

Cheers,

Dru
Quote from Mike85 :Time will tell. But I will try my best to persuade teh devs to fix the reset for the Y patch. And then you will all cry

oh noes!
I like the new rest option.

Makes it alot more realistic and you have to concentrate!

It does make people drive more carefully.

My thoughts on patch X
(196 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG