The online racing simulator
#1 - buedi
PocketLFS: Outgauge / Insim Application for Pocket PC (in Development)
Updated: 28th June 2007

OK, it´s not ready yet... it has Bugs and I have so much things in my Mind which I would like to implement. Today I got to the Point I was before the Insim Changes where made. It´s not much but currently it´s working.

So have a look if you want, I recorded a little Video. Sorry for the Quality, but I was too lazy to pull out my Video Camera

I want to say "Thank you very much" to 2 guys from our Community. Without them I would not have get that far. Keep in Mind that I never programmed anything before, but I will do my best to make it a stable Application with more features than you see in the Vid ;-)

Thanks to T-RonX for his InSim base for Visual Basic .NET 2005. Without this I would have never started. It turned out that I had to rewrite many parts because they where not compatible with the .NET Compact Framework. But I think I got it all sorted

And Thanks to riskredruM for showing me how to make and hold a stable UDP Connection to the new LFS Insim System. Without you I would be still sitting here reading Docs and scratching my Head.

So... watch this: PocketLFS Preview Video

Ah yes, you don´t see it in the Vid: There is no Cable on the PDA. I use a Wifi connection... hmmm... somehow it should be possible to fix it on the Wheel

Update 28th June 2007 (v0.0.0.4):
  • Fixed a Bug which cause PocketLFS to crash when driving some of the Turbo Powered Cars. The Turbo Gauge had a Bug which caused PocketLFS to crash when a high Boost Value was reached.
  • Added a simple Shiftlight. It turns the Background of the Gear Indicator into Red. Will make this Configurable in the Future maybe.
Update 24th June 2007 (v0.0.0.3):
  • (Hopefully) fixed the Bug that caused PocketLFS to crash when starting, stopping and starting the Connection again.
  • Moved the Stop / Start Functions to the Menu because I need Space on the Screen to implement Tabs
  • Added Tabs to have more Space for new Functions ;-)
  • Added a very simple Log to see what´s going on. Mainly for Debugging Purposes for myself.
Update 23rd June 2007:
  • Added an Exit Function. You can now set PocketLFS in Background (Windows Mobile Standard Behaviour) when Pressing the ‘X’ Button in the Top Right Corner. Or you can use the Exit Function in the Menu to close the Application completely.
  • Created a Installer CAB File to install the Application on a PocketPC instead of copying the .exe and creating a Folder manually. (Only for Testing now)
Update 21st June 2007 (v0.0.0.2):
  • Added the About Form just to be sure that Complains don´t go to the Developers of Live for Speed ;-)
  • Fixed some Bugs in the Code which caused Problems when connecting to Live for Speed and a Password was set.
  • Tested with Windows Mobile 2003 German / English and Windows Mobile 5.0 German, English and Russian.
Update 11th June 2007:
  • Fixed Bug: When overreving the Engine the Application hang.
Update 10th June 2007:
  • Added a Function which sets the Min / Max Values of the Rev Bar correctly.
  • Added Boost Gauge Bar (not 100% ready yet, have to find out Max. Boost for all Cars)
  • Added a Detection Routine for Screen Resolution (VGA / QVGA) and Screen Orientation (Landscape / Portrait)
  • Added Icons for VGA and QVGA PDAs
  • Fixed some Connection Bugs and cleaned up the Code
The Current Version is available for Download here:
PocketLFS Download
Attached images
pocketlfs1.jpg
pocketlfs2.jpg
pocketlfs3.jpg
pocketlfs4.jpg
Wow that's amazing! Can you make it visually more attractive (round clocks?). Just put it on top of my wheel and have my own dashboard

If you need a tester: I do have a PDA telephone with WiFi/USB connection. (MDA Vario, Qtek 9100) and I prefer USB connection since WiFi is pulling my battery very quickly.
I'm doing a similar application using LFSLib.dll (part of the source code, so LFSLib.dll won't run into a PPC)

Would be nice to colaborate between us, so, if you need some help, I'll try to help you.

My application only can run outgauge data, but soon it'll be possible to run outsim data, insim is a bit more difficult
#4 - Jakg
I have a Dell Axim x51v that i barely use - this would rockz0r with ti!

Firstly can it connect over a network (via wifi - no WiFi in my PC, but a router on the floor) and secondly, can it be run in landscape?

Does it run on WM5?

Is it VGA?

Is that a Pocket Loox? If so, may i comment your excellent taste, i used to have an FSC Loox 720, and that thing was much better than my "Dell Of Doom"
hey...very coOL!
nice app...
Nice ....
Dammed I only have this old HP thing.

hmmm....for TomTom Navigation it´s good enough. :rally_dri
#7 - Gaas
Just to ask has any1 tried to port that kind of app to java so it can be runed on mobile phone...and maybe connected via cable or bluetooth

anyways nice app GJ!
Great, please publish the tool if its rdy.

Greets,
Ciennon
Very nice
i have a mio 168 laying around
Great job

i hope cou can build in things like the distance to the other cas, and stuff like that.
Wow! I was on a Trip today and arrived at home 1 hour ago and I am surprised that there are so many Replies

As I am watching the Training of the 24h Race on the Nurburgring at the moment and I will watch all Footage I can get on Saturday / Sunday (+hanging around in the Nurburgring Forum Chat http://www.20832.com/) there won´t be much time this Weekend to work on the App and watch in the Forum.

But since there are 9 more Replies than I estimated I want to give out a few Words to you:

1. ATM you can NOT connect to LFS via Activesync. Because the only Protocol implemented at the Moment is UDP. And Activesync does not Support UDP.
2. I used a Fujitsu Siemens PocketLoox N560 to test the Application. It has Windows Mobile 5.0 and a 480x640 Display. "Sadly" it has a very fast CPU (Approx. 624 MHz). So I don´t know how it will run on slower PDAs. If someone wants to test a Version which locks up and produces strange Errors sometimes and has a Windows Mobile 2003 / 5.0, slower and lower Resolution PDA I can send you the .exe as soon as I have fixed a Major flaw maybe next Week. But please, don´t expect much
3. Sure I will try to implement the Landscape Mode because it´s looking more like a Motec Display then
4. I think you will need a Windows Mobile 2003 (or higher) PDA because the .NET Compact Framework is not installing on 2002 Devices (AFAIK).
5. Currently I fear that the App eats much CPU Power because the PDA gets a bit warm which does not happen if I play Solitaire on it. But to find that out I will have to find a slower PDA and see if it still works.

As I said before I will have to fix some Bugs and after that I will try to implement handling of most (maybe all?) Insim Packets. Since I don´t even call me a bad Programmer I have currently only implemented a very simple GUI with some Textboxes, Labels and a Progress Bar (LOL) as Rev Display. To make it look like a Motec or similar thing I am sure I will have to learn very much (or let this Part make someone else). But who knows... I am far away from that.

I only wanted to show what I did because yesterday I was so proud and amazed that it works

So, don´t expect much from me for the next 2 Days... at least until the 24h Race is finished
Great stuff!

I also have the Qtek 9100 now running WM6. I would love to see your app on it
#14 - Jakg
WM6? that came out?

My god i'm out of sync in the PDA world :X
A little Update. See 1st Post.
Damn - well done :-) I'm a little unsure how I would get the PC to talk to the PDA without active sync or does the app take care of that - I have an Ipaq 3950 and I'm connected thru the USB cable.
Quote from f1r3b4ll :I'm a little unsure how I would get the PC to talk to the PDA without active sync...

Just plugging the USB Cable into the PC won´t work, because you do not have a "Network" then. Activesync does that job but sadly it doesn´t support UDP.
The only way I tested it is over WLAN. If your PDA does not have WLAN maybe you could try it with a Bluetooth Connection. But as I don´t have Bluetooth in my PC I can´t test it. AFAIK you can make a Network Connection with Bluetooth, but I am not 100% sure. Maybe somebody with Bluetooth in his PC can test this?

Maybe I will implement TCP at a later time. But now I have to speed up the Application first. I am sure there is much room for Improvement in the Packet Handling which should run the Application much faster... but who knows. Maybe I am wrong
Quote from buedi : AFAIK you can make a Network Connection with Bluetooth, but I am not 100% sure. Maybe somebody with Bluetooth in his PC can test this?

Yep. I can do it. I got bluetooth in my PDA and in my PC.

P.S. I've already send you PM, but there is no response...
Quote from kosyag :Yep. I can do it. I got bluetooth in my PDA and in my PC.

P.S. I've already send you PM, but there is no response...

he is on a business Trip for the next 3 days.

have you got it working using bluetooth, if so how did you do it?.
Hi all :-)

Yes, I was away for a few days. But those of you who sent me a PM with an E-Mail Adress got the Program a few Minutes ago. Since you all use WM 2003 I will try to get the WM 2003 Emulator from Microsoft to test the App there too. Kev reported a Problem while starting the App. The Config File can´t be created and currently I am not sure why. But I will investigate that.

When I have news I will send you the new Version. But as my time is very limited, please be patient with me
And thanks to all who are testing and providing me with Informations
#21 - Jakg
I use WM5, and i am impatient, satisfy me! :P
Quote from speedykev :
have you got it working using bluetooth, if so how did you do it?.

Hmmm... I've got BT 2 BT connection established, but app don't works properly.

When I tap "start" LFS says:
Quote :
InSim port: 29999
InSim - UDP: PocketLFS (9063)
OutGauge: enabled

...and nothing happends anymore.
It would be great if someone made a thing like this for the "Nintendo DS" and "Playstation Portable". I think that more people have a NDS / PSP then a Pocket PC.

p.s. it would be nicer if you made it like this:
OK, first here is a link to the Newest Version of the .NET Compact Framework (SP2). .NET CF 2.0 SP2 Download
Thank you very much @kosyag for testing and solving the PocketLFS Startup Problem with installing the newest .NET CF Version

@kosyag: The Messages LFS shows to you indicate the the Communication from your PDA to LFS works fine. This is very nice. When I connect over Wifi I can ping my PDA from my LFS Box. Is this possible with your BT Connection too? Is it possible that your Windows Firewall blocks the outgoing UDP Traffic to your PDA? When the PocketLFS Program connects to LFS via Insim it gets a Version Information back to LFS. I think I will implement a Function which shows this Version Information so we know if PocketLFS get´s Packets from the LFS Box. Maybe I can do this today, but I can´t promise. Thanks for testing so far

@R1K89: I don´t have one of those Devices. But I think I read something about them... maybe the Forum Search helps. Implementing Analogue Gauges is one of my future Plans. But since noone could get PocketLFS running now (except me LOL) I think I have much problems to solve for now
:bump:
Updated 1st Post

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG