The online racing simulator
S2 Alpha Patch Q
(160 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Pablo.CZ :Please update main site not only with Q patch, but full Q version too. It will help starters, which often download only main file..

That's the plan. We are just allowing 24 hours since yesterday, as a final test. We don't want to update the full version if you guys found a major bug.
Quote from GianniC :Thank you very much Devs !
You're talking about deleting hotlaps, do you have any idea with what cars there will be psy updates ? Any chance that we might get to know later on ? Since I don't have much time I don't really feel like doing hotlaps now to see them deleted in a month (or any time given).

Good patch, having fun already

All cars will profit from the updates, cause all cars work with the same physics engine, and when that one gets updated... So all Hotlaps will be useless then
LFS viewer still doesn't work, at least not for me. Still the old 'Can't load font' error. It's easy to put it in another folder, but then i'd have to copy all the skins... I don't like that.
#54 - JJ72
Quote from Krane :
The "funniest" thing is this:
Finland's population 5,223,442
china's population 1,306,313,812

Finland's share of LFS racers 3.9%
china's share of LFS racers dunno, they all fit in the "other 4.0%" category

Which makes it a HUGE potential market isn't it? No doubt chinese lack the heritage of motorracing but in a decade it's going to catch up, as more cars are imported and motoring racing gets more popular. I know some chinese sim-racers and one of the problem they have when participating in such a community is the language, however that isn't solely because of the language used in the game. The fact that most resource online about LFS is in english also contributes to this result.

I do agree chineses support has to wait after many thing else, the general english standard might one day be improved as well, however it's more a cultural belonging kind of thing on what language that you use, if you make chinese available in LFS, than that'll be one giantic advantage.

p.s. But isn't India going to overtake China as being the most populated country soon?
fault message at start with Q
OOOOHHHH.

I´m very unhappy after starting LFS with the new patch Q. After years of playing lfs , now it doesn´t start. .

Look at pics:

PLZ HELP ME!

EDIT:
Rumble in the Jungle . I renamed the LFS.exe on my desktop. My fault, soz!!! Didn´t understand that, but now it works.
Attached images
Fehler 1.jpg
Fehler 2.jpg
good job Scawen, nice that more people can enjoy LFS in their own language now

Looking forward to the next update(s)
Nice thanks!
#58 - avih
Quote from Webflat :OOOOHHHH.

I´m very unhappy after starting LFS with the new patch Q. After years of playing lfs , now it doesn´t start. .

Look at pics:

PLZ HELP ME!

EDIT:
Rumble in the Jungle . I renamed the LFS.exe on my desktop. My fault, soz!!! Didn´t understand that, but now it works.

Maybe you didn't keep the zip directory structure when unzipping? If you're using winzip, there should be a checkbox that does that. If you don't check it then you'll get all the files in the root dir where you extracted them, instead of a directory structure. Give it another go.
Quote from Scawen :As two people said here before me, Chinese, Korean and Japanese Kanji contain thousands of letters, so it's a different task, which is best left until the future, when there's no-one left using older versions of Windows, and we all have a later version of DirectX, because Unicode and so on, is supported better with Windows XP.

The only reason we could do a Japanese codepage, is because Japanese has a special text called "Katakana" which is something like an alphabet, containing letters like "KA" and "RO". It's useful for writing words when the Kanji character is not known (because in Kanji, which is based on Chinese writing, each character means a word, and you can't just figure out how to write a word just by hearing it - you need to know the Kanji).

So all Japanese people are familiar with Katakana, it's useful for chat and looks cool, even though in LFS they can't write full Kanji.

first of all thank for replying to a such sarcastic (mine) post, i understand chinese would have implied unicode and you probably remember i am one of those who thinks that for a race sim language suport is the very last thing, but apart from my opinion, my consideration was:"if language support is important to gain more customers allover around the world, why not target to the most numerous country?".
so my real question is (actually against my whishes...), if codepage took so much time, why not target at the big goal "unicode"? i think that with the latest patch you rewrote almost all parts of code that implies text, so while you are fresh with that issue, would still require a lot of time including unicode?

cheers
From the Q patch readme.txt:
Quote :Unlocking the full version :
----------------------------
When you first run this S2 version, you will only have access to the
same content that is available in the DEMO : 3 cars and 1 track area.

You need an S1 or S2 license to unlock additional content and features.

When I patched my S2 P2 with the new Q patch I didn't need to unlock anything...
Quote from Honey :so my real question is (actually against my whishes...), if codepage took so much time, why not target at the big goal "unicode"? i think that with the latest patch you rewrote almost all parts of code that implies text, so while you are fresh with that issue, would still require a lot of time including unicode?

A perfectly valid point in terms of the logic, but ssshhh! The rest of us are looking forward to the physics/aero updates!

Thanks Scawen for S2Q.
#62 - axus
Quote from Hyperactive :From the Q patch readme.txt:

When I patched my S2 P2 with the new Q patch I didn't need to unlock anything...

You had previously unlocked it, correct? When you simply install a patch, no new unlocking is required. If you install a fresh copy of LFS then you would need to.

@Honey - I'm sure that Scawen want to do some more fascinating stuff for a bit like physics (any excuse to skip the unicode implementation for now )
Quote from STROBE :A perfectly valid point in terms of the logic, but ssshhh! The rest of us are looking forward to the physics/aero updates!

Thanks Scawen for S2Q.

indeed as i said elsewhere my whishes are different:
1) tire phisics
2) collision engine
3) aero bugfix (only the "high nose" fix)
4) suspension improvement5) better damage model
6) better aero phisics
99999999999) language support

so thanks god patch Q is out, let's "patiently" wait for the next phisic patch...i'm just wondering what things will be patched.

my point was, better to wait now to finish language support rather than making happen again in the future that while we are waiting for a "most wanted" thing, Scawen will make joke to use by working at unicode
Quote from Honey :...if codepage took so much time, why not target at the big goal "unicode"? i think that with the latest patch you rewrote almost all parts of code that implies text, so while you are fresh with that issue, would still require a lot of time including unicode?

cheers

It's a totally different and much, much larger project to go to unicode. We still use the same basic font drawing system for this version - it now has around twice as many characters. It's not possible to include Chinese on pre-rendered font textures, so i'd have to write a large character caching system, or switch to a later version of Direct X that can draw them live, very fast. We'd also have to go to XP only, for the unicode support it offers, ruling out a large percentage of all current LFS players.

Also, all text buffers in the game and every packet that handles text, would need to be rewritten with some careful thought in each case. It's many thousands of lines of code and new functions that will need to be updated and tested.

So basically, it's not the time. I guess the right time will be in a few years from now, when no-one uses the old versions of Windows, and all graphics hardware supports later versions of DirectX.
Quote from axus :@Honey - I'm sure that Scawen want to do some more fascinating stuff for a bit like physics (any excuse to skip the unicode implementation for now )

i also have the feeling that he had some kind of trauma with unicode when he was a kid
Quote from Scawen :It's a totally different and much, much larger project to go to unicode. We still use the same basic font drawing system for this version - it now has around twice as many characters. It's not possible to include Chinese on pre-rendered font textures, so i'd have to write a large character caching system, or switch to a later version of Direct X that can draw them live, very fast. We'd also have to go to XP only, for the unicode support it offers, ruling out a large percentage of all current LFS players.

Also, all text buffers in the game and every packet that handles text, would need to be rewritten with some careful thought in each case. It's many thousands of lines of code and new functions that will need to be updated and tested.

So basically, it's not the time. I guess the right time will be in a few years from now, when no-one uses the old versions of Windows, and all graphics hardware supports later versions of DirectX.

thanks for explaining all aspects...so coding is not the only issue, OS, graphic card, net packets, etc. things that you cannot control obvoiusly.
well i have to say "fortunately"...may i ask you if there is any chance that we can beta test phisics patches (only for offline use), like it happened for the Q-patch?

cheers
Quote from qba_m :Thanks for patch, I really hope there will be a progess raport with info at the main site (about other game aspects, like physics etc. - if anything like that has been updated)
PS sorry for OT, but how can I change "demo racer" to "S2 licensed" under my nick?

it will automatically update when you will buy the S2 license.
Quote from qba_m :PS sorry for OT, but how can I change "demo racer" to "S2 licensed" under my nick?

It shows the license status of your username, you can't change it by yourself other than buying the license(s). If you are licensed but with another username It'd be nice if you'd use the licensed one here as well.
Thanks, yes I'm licenssed S1 since 22.10.2003 and S2 since 05.10.2005 I didn't know that I have the same username at the forum
:yipee::woohoo:That´s good Patch Q Thanks Devs
Thanks for the patch.

I think it's time for me to get back playing S2.. Last time I played when S2 was released.
Quote from axus :Yes - I just picked that up - I was wondering why LFS runs so much smoother lately. I guess its down to the new text. I'm getting 100fps @ 1024x768 (no AF or AA) on a 5200 FX (Athlon 1800+, 512MB RAM for those who are interested)! That's way more than I get on any other game or sim.

crap... my computer must be wrong :P
i got around 85fps with 1280x1024 on Xp2000+, 512 ram, ati 9700 128mb
i used to get more...

recently i mostly get around 40 to 60fps with AA, and playing against AI makes it suffer even more (15/25fps). it wasn't the case a few versions ago... it used to run much smoother.
#73 - axus
Quote from MitchBomcanhao :crap... my computer must be wrong :P
i got around 85fps with 1280x1024 on Xp2000+, 512 ram, ati 9700 128mb
i used to get more...

recently i mostly get around 40 to 60fps with AA, and playing against AI makes it suffer even more (15/25fps). it wasn't the case a few versions ago... it used to run much smoother.

Check for spywear and things like that. Do you run a firewall, anti-virus protection etc etc? Have you installed any new applications recently?
#74 - joen
Thanks Good work
I just installed Patch Q and now I get an error message during program start "warning: created default codepage" and the menu words are defective (special letters (german) appear as a sqare) :-( dont know what to do...
This thread is closed

S2 Alpha Patch Q
(160 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG