The online racing simulator
WRX setup for the RB4.
(26 posts, started )
WRX setup for the RB4.
This took a few hours, alot of research, and a few drives in my own personal WRX.
Some of the specs like gear ratios and camber are real, whereas spring rates were something I had to eyeball and test. If you download it, the RB4 will look like a log truck, but I did that to simulate the massive amount of suspension travel this car has. I think only a 92-00 Civic has more.
And like a real WRX, if you let off the gas mid corner, it will oversteer. I tried my very best to simulate the neutral/slightly understeer character the WRX has in real life.
I do hope you enjoy it, Scoobie fans!
Attached files
RB4 GT_WRX.set - 132 B - 1972 views
Interesting, I wonder how it will differ from my road going set...
Quote from Bob Smith :Interesting, I wonder how it will differ from my road going set...

Actually, I was hoping you were going to post! It is based off your road going set, I added ballast, reduced power, a little more camber, a smidge of toe in, a few tweaks on the suspension, same with the diffs, and different gearing.

But all in all, I did not have to change much! Truth be known, I am pretty impressed that you got it so close!
I like that a lot! I was driving a friends WRX the other day on a test. You've done a superb job.

If you can make a set that mimmicks my Metro 6R4, that would be good
Not bad - pull away is pretty close - THe front of the car lifts big time - which is pretty comparable, gear changing points are about right - on redline - 2nd to 3rd at about 60 - 3rd to 4th in the 85 region, into 5th about 105 - and through 5th to 136 ish - prety close.

Brakings a bit suss tho - This set will only brake in a straight line - with the back end wanting to come around alot. I suppose if I pulled my ABS fuse then it would react pretty much the same.

Cornering, pretty close again - the front of the car wallows a bit and does want to go straight on, but normally - (around the bigger round abouts) a little throttle and the rear end steps out and driffts out. This set tends to see a bit side ways slide in to the wall.

Not bad at all.

Which MY variant is your friends WRx that this was based on - that could amount to the difference in handling from my point of view - classic/bugeye/blobeye/hawkeye?
Quote from Widdowmaker :Not bad - pull away is pretty close - THe front of the car lifts big time - which is pretty comparable, gear changing points are about right - on redline - 2nd to 3rd at about 60 - 3rd to 4th in the 85 region, into 5th about 105 - and through 5th to 136 ish - prety close.

Brakings a bit suss tho - This set will only brake in a straight line - with the back end wanting to come around alot. I suppose if I pulled my ABS fuse then it would react pretty much the same.

Cornering, pretty close again - the front of the car wallows a bit and does want to go straight on, but normally - (around the bigger round abouts) a little throttle and the rear end steps out and driffts out. This set tends to see a bit side ways slide in to the wall.

Not bad at all.

Which MY variant is your friends WRx that this was based on - that could amount to the difference in handling from my point of view - classic/bugeye/blobeye/hawkeye?

Thanks! I own a 2007 WRX, so the Hawkeye. Or pig nose.
I too own a Hawkeye.... in Silver (cystal Metallic)...Ive just spent the afternoon "blinging" the engine Bay....

Mines the one on the left

But one thing tho, Where the hell on earth did the name "Pig Nose" come from?

Stick to Hawkeye
Quote from Widdowmaker :But one thing tho, Where the hell on earth did the name "Pig Nose" come from?

Stick to Hawkeye

The grille, that center section resembles a snout

I want a piece of that Cusco liveryed Impreza

I havent ever been in an Impreza, so I cant really comment on how realistic the set is

Its a shame the RB4 has 240bhp max, a replica set of a classic Impreza (~280bhp ) would rock!
Quote from VTiRoj :The grille, that center section resembles a snout

I want a piece of that Cusco liveryed Impreza

I havent ever been in an Impreza, so I cant really comment on how realistic the set is

Its a shame the RB4 has 240bhp max, a replica set of a classic Impreza (~280bhp ) would rock!

The classsic - stil to most the best and ony Impreza...

The WRX only put out at max in standard trim - 220 bhp - the STI - approx 265 bhp. THe new age Blob eye and bug were about the same in both WRX and STI.

However -the newage Hawkeye - as a WRX out - approx 230 bhp in standard trim - with now heres the best bit - 271 n/m torque from a 2.5 ltr engine.

The classic reigns supreme by weighing it at approx 1000 kg - where as the new age, a whopping 1860 kg..... and thats where the difference lies.

The Hawkeye STI puts out about 280 bhp....

Your probably refferring to the 22b with that power figure, which is the best Impreza yet, but there aint many and they cost a pretty packet...

You mean this Cusco car.....???
Attached images
Pic_0102.jpg
There is the WRX STi Impreza's that put out up to 280bhp, but I guess only the Japanese got those

The 22b is probably the best Impreza, with the P1 comming a close second

Yes THAT Cusco car *drools*

Its a shame new Impreza's are growing more and more heavier, and the next gen Impreza will be nothing like its predessors!
Quite fun to drive

I googled for car specs a bit, and it seems some are not 100% spot on. For example the rear diff should be a clutch pack (I believe actually a torsen, but we don't have that in LFS), only the center one is a viscous. Though I couldn't find any locking factors whatsoever, so I just put 25/25 with 50Nm preload.

Next, the torque split is supposedly 45% front instead of 50%, not that it makes much of a difference. And last, the (for racing ridiculously long) final drive should be 3.9 instead of 4.11 - the latter is only for auto transmissions, manual has a longer gearing. Can't say much else, other than that it is very fun to chuck around.
I took it out for a drive, and although I've never driven a subaru (well, i've driven a subaru pesha once ), it's very nice to drive with.
I also drove the porshe setup for the fz50, and i must say that some more people should make these authentic sets with accurate setup values.
Quote from AndroidXP :Quite fun to drive

I googled for car specs a bit, and it seems some are not 100% spot on. For example the rear diff should be a clutch pack (I believe actually a torsen, but we don't have that in LFS), only the center one is a viscous. Though I couldn't find any locking factors whatsoever, so I just put 25/25 with 50Nm preload.

Next, the torque split is supposedly 45% front instead of 50%, not that it makes much of a difference. And last, the (for racing ridiculously long) final drive should be 3.9 instead of 4.11 - the latter is only for auto transmissions, manual has a longer gearing. Can't say much else, other than that it is very fun to chuck around.

I was told by the Subaru tech I work with the differential specs. We were under a WRX last Friday and I asked him how the diffs are set up. Starting from the front, he told me it is open viscous, viscous. He has been working on them for 30 years...

Torque split on my car (2007 MY) is 50/50, so that is what I based it on...but you are right, 5% does not make or break it. The gear ratios I found were from a 2002-2005 WRX, I could not find ones for a 2006 on up.

Whatever the case, I hope everyone enjoys it. I may try an STI set, but engine output will suffer, obviously.
Oh okay, granted, I didn't exactly know what model to look for, but I just found on three separate sites saying that rear was a "LSD" whereas the centre one was a viscous diff, clearly differentiating between the both.

It doesn't really change the handling and characteristics either, so what's the point
Nice work there but I think the suspension part is not very close to the real thing.
Fore example the rear spring stiffness is set too high regarding the weight distribution.

I did not find exact details but bits of info... e.g. at a performance catalogue http://www.allsubaru.com/faq_p.html#springs where they say some of the “performance parts” characteristics.

Front 38.0 N/m, Rear 33.4 N/m I thing is closer to what your WRX has.
And I think the stock car has more rebound than bump.

As for the anti roll bars I do not have a clue cause they are generally measured from the material and the “bar” thickness.
It could be a good idea to follow the front/rear proportion of the spring stiffness.
If you have ever seen the rear inside wheel lift up while turning hard, then the rear antiroll bar should be significantly stiffer (regarding the weight) than the front. But I do not think that a stock WRX does that.

Also I found this http://www.oakos.com/wrx/specs.htm http://www.oakos.com/wrx/2004stispecs.htm

Always the road cars are set at the safe side… that means plenty of under steer…
Check out the camber settings at the links above.

This is my attempt for the WRX setup following the specifications I came across during net search. But is still plenty of guess work…
Attached files
RB4 GT_WRX test.set - 132 B - 1133 views
I believe the suspension part was a pretty big guessing game to make the car behave as the real one, rather than using real values
Hi
i own a 2003 wrx sti (white) with an ecutuk modification (320 hp). I´ll try that set and i´ll post my comments about it later.
greetz noGrip
Quote from ACLRacer :Hi
i own a 2003 wrx sti (white) with an ecutuk modification (320 hp).

Ich hasse Sie.
Last time I checked Subarus used multilink rear suspension, so no matter how much you calibrate the suspension, the car will never behave like the real thing. Dynamic toe, camber recovery rate, antisquat etc all have effects on handling and grip that are very significant, yet many still fail to appreciate.

My point is, the real thing actually toes in on rear compression.
It's just the latest 2008 impreza model that is getting multilink rear-suspension.

However the point you are making is very valid. When, and I hope, 3d suspension modeling comes to LFS it will really make things interesting.

And Impreza's indeed have anti-dive geometry at the front suspension which is a mayor factor why they handle as they do. It prevents the driver from shifting the weight to the front wheels. This is an important reason for the push-understeer on these cars.
Quote from MillerM :It's just the latest 2008 impreza model that is getting multilink rear-suspension.

However the point you are making is very valid. When, and I hope, 3d suspension modeling comes to LFS it will really make things interesting.

And Impreza's indeed have anti-dive geometry at the front suspension which is a mayor factor why they handle as they do. It prevents the driver from shifting the weight to the front wheels. This is an important reason for the push-understeer on these cars.

Not to mention toe changes. The front wheels are usually designed to toe out under compression and the rears to in under compression. This changes handling a lot especially in transient situations, allowing agile but still reasonably stable cars. BTW, excessive antdive/squat is actually a really bad idea, as it could easily mess up handling and grip.
Quote from Widdowmaker :I too own a Hawkeye.... in Silver (cystal Metallic)...Ive just spent the afternoon "blinging" the engine Bay....

blinging = rice

OHHHHH

<-- runs away
weird, does anyone know why when i download setups, they don't show up?
Because *this* setup is for the RB4, which is not available in demo...
the wrx setups work well for me thanks all

WRX setup for the RB4.
(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG