The online racing simulator
hardware question (no it isn't in wrong place)
I need to make my comp faster.
Now it's a Sempron 3000+, 256mB ram, GeForce 4MX 440. It's too slow.
Don't have much money so what do y'a think i should buy atm.
Ram or gfx? If gfx which card?
I think about something old but good. any ideas?
I also should told y'a 'bout that I don't play any other games than LFS.
So i don't need brand nu card.
I often mix music and edit movies so I need RAM too.

Thanks in advance for help.
RAM for sure, 256mb of ram isn't cutting it much. RAM is a must have, especially when you only have that much, a graphics card would be helpful, but that little amount of ram is being a serious bottleneck for every peice of software on your computer.

A graphics card may help in some cases (not with that little RAM though), but in the end it won't really improve your computer much at all. I would say invest in plenty of ram (since you can get ram really cheap these days), and that will help you in every scenario of using your computer, from just surfing the web, to doing your music and videos (it will help extremely during that stuff).
Dinousar,
how much you have to spend? IF I would know it then I would have some recomendation for you.
thx for advices XCNuse.
i'd like to spend as less as i can. about 50 euros. it's not much, but i'll buy somethin used.

one more question: what about buying a used RAM? or i should only look for new ones?
any ideas 'bout graphic card? cheap as hell...
ATI9600XT for AGP slot.Should cost around 50Euro new one and much cheapter the used one.Buy also definately another 51MB of RAM.

Used NVIDIA 6600Gt would be better way to go.Used should cost around 50Euro.
I hope you have AGP graphic slot.
I would definitely get more ram first. Try to upgrade to 512mb or 1024mb. The latter would be better. When you can save up some more money to upgrade I would get a new graphics card. The nvidia 6600GT is a good, inexpensive card. Perhaps you can find a used one. That will lower the cost significantly.

If you don't have enough money to upgrade both, you might look into overclocking your video card. Check out www.ocforums.com. They have a lot of information on that.
Thanks a lot for help....
GF4 is bit old and OC won't help it well, ATi R 9550 is just "underclocked" 9600 & u can it OC very well (cca 60% up) + it's very cheap
9550 is notr good card.Get at least used 6600 or 6600GT.
now looking for 9550. 256mb. what will change if it'll be 128bit instead of 256bit?
One website may help if you know english and want to wait awhile...they have the best computer parts here in the US

www.newegg.com
#13 - Jakg
Newegg don't ship outside the US for a start
Ohh...Didn't know that..sorry. But, they do have really good deals.
Quote from diNOSaur :now looking for 9550. 256mb. what will change if it'll be 128bit instead of 256bit?

The 9550 doesnt have 256bit memory interface.Be carefull some of the serie cards have just 64bit memory access so this would slow the card like hell.

256 memory interface is good for AA because you have much wider memory interface to process the data.

I would really try to find at least used NVIDIA 6600(non GT) version.
oh sorry, I found 9600 with 256bits.
what will change the number of Mb of ram? is it worth to buy a 256mb card? i don't play latest games. i need gfx to play smooth in lfs.
9600 doesnt have 256bit memory interface neither!!!

256MB of graphic memory is plenty for LFS.I would say its optimal taking into the mind there might be some updates in the future which would need more graphic memory.

For example NVIDIA 6600 has 128bit memory interface but it could handle LFS with some AA+AF without peformance drop.Why you still want these ATI cards?NVIDIA 6600 should be used one at the same price of 9600 and have much better performance.
Your video card needs upgrading for sure, get a radeon 9600 or 9700. I have 9600xt and LFS is smooth and very playable.
You don't have a very strong CPU anyway, so going for a very good graphics card isn't mandatory.

Get a GeForce 6600 card (AGP bus) for 40-50 euros tops and another 256 megs of memory for 15-20 euros.

So in total you'll spend 60-70 euros and you'll have a very nice upgrade.
Get a second hand 6600 GT (AGP version) They are selling at good prices these days(probably ~45 euros?. And also get another 512 meg of ram (probably ~15-20 euros?)
I decided to buy a gfx card but still dont know wich one.
so let's talk about specs...
what will change if card will have OpenGL 1.5 or 1.4?
Shaders etc 3.0 or 2.0?
How many bits? 64 or 128? what will change this?

GIGABYTE 9550 128MB DDR2 2,5Ns TV/DVI ULTRA TURBO
how about this one?
I don't think the 9550 is a helluva lot faster than GF4 you have, probably not worth the money, if you can, you should really try to get at least a 9600 to make the upgrade worthwhile. If you can't find a 9600 for a decent price then the 9550 you listed will be ok for you.

256 more ram will really really help too

don't get an nvidia, they are quite a bit slower in LFS, don't listen to nvidia fans, I have an nvidia and have had ati's too. In fact I think my friend went from a 9550 to 6600 and while it was faster in every other game, it was slower in lfs. Checkout the lfs benchmark to confirm this.
id go with a set of used 2x 512mb value ram sticks, and a cheap ati 9800pro

That would give u a good upgrade and if u find a good user on ebay u should get it for cheap. id say about 60-70 euros
9800pro will be very fine but wich one should i choose? 128MB or 256?
If you can afford it, 256, it's been a long time since I had 128 but it used to be fine with LFS and probably still is.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG