The online racing simulator
Remove MPH option in the BF1, RaceAbout and MRT?
As all real F1 teams use km/h and probably are mandated to, it would help LFS if the speedo setting was over-rided for the BMW Sauber and everyone had to use km/h. Also, I imagine that the speedo of the RAC and MRT are also km/h only. If they are, that should be simulated in LFS as well. Also, as no RACs have been made for UK/Aus use, the driver side option should reflect that IMO.
Who really care about that kind of details? It's convenient and you can modify it for yourself if you want
I have no idea wtf troll/yank attack that measuring unit proposition tries to be, but I'd like to see driver sides fixed to LFS account, not cars.
Quote from frokki :I have no idea wtf troll/yank attack that measuring unit proposition tries to be, but I'd like to see driver sides fixed to LFS account, not cars.

.....and (I think) the cars still should be given the same left/right weight distribution regardless of which side you sit on.
Imo the weight distribution is an interesting factor atleast in league racing.

But could it kill hotlapping? Drivers preferring left hand drive just couldn't make wr's on some tracks and vice versa...
Quote from sinbad :.....and (I think) the cars still should be given the same left/right weight distribution regardless of which side you sit on.

Oh because that's really realistic.
Quote from frokki :Imo the weight distribution is an interesting factor atleast in league racing.

But could it kill hotlapping? Drivers preferring left hand drive just couldn't make wr's on some tracks and vice versa...

I don't think it's ever that significant, but even if it is, it only takes a few minutes to adjust to driving from the other side of the car.
Quote from joshdifabio :I don't think it's ever that significant, but even if it is, it only takes a few minutes to adjust to driving from the other side of the car.

I ran out of words so I have use Bob's.
"Oh because that's really realistic?"
#9 - wark
Won't make any difference. Waste of coding.
Bob, lol You've been owned ^2

Also, rofl at
Quote :I'd like to see driver sides fixed to LFS account, not cars

If you take people's options away you'll just piss them off. Forcing someone to use kmh won't improve one thing in this game imho.

Regardless of the number on someone's speedo, they're still going, well, as fast as they're going. The numbers used to represent that speed are irrelevant. If someone's looking at 61mph while you're looking at 100kmh, why should that matter? They'll still cover the same distance as you in the same time - and in the end the clock is the only thing that matters on track.

You'd also have lots of people still using mph in the other cars which would just lead to confusion. Imagine having to mentally adjust from kmh to mph and back again all the time. It'd get pretty annoying pretty quickly.

This reminds me of the "force cockpit view" question that's come up once or twice, in that it's completely against the player's free will and counter-intuitive in game design terms - why suddenly remove harmless options that have always been there and risk alienating customers? LFS is like any other game in that it has options, and games have options for a reason - to suit a range of different personal preferences and cater for a large number of people. Not everyone plays the same way and smart developers know that.

As for fixing the driver's side to the car or driver's nationality, that's something that can quietly sod off as well. LFS isn't reality, it's a game where a tiny percentage of reality is being simulated.

If we're going to just throw stuff in or leave stuff out simply because it does or doesn't reflect reality exactly, let's start by removing my ability to choose a BMW Sauber in plain hot pink and thrash it at a non-existent Japanese oval. Against a pack of people who I've never met who are each in a different country. On a Thursday night. While I'm naked. Except for my racing socks (the ones with the chequered flag pattern).

Sometimes I wonder if people just get bored, comb through LFS's features, notice something that isn't 100% representative of reality and decide to start a thread about it - or just post the first LFS-related thing that pops into their heads when they get up in the morning ...
+1 for racing naked, makes you faster by saving the weight of the suit.
Quote from Bob Smith :Oh because that's really realistic.

As "really realistic" as a one car class with the option to sit on either side of the car at the magic wave of a mouse, yes.

I'd like all the cars that would be typically on one side forced to that side. Many WTCC - and a hell of a lot of BTCC - cars are LHD, so maybe force the XFR to LHD and the UFR to RHD (UK built, see UF1). I'm not sure about real FIA GT Porsches, but I feel sure that all of them are LHD, so the FZR should be LHD. For the FXR and XRR I'm not sure.

The LX cars are probably UK built, so they should be RHD (the same re. the UF). As I said, LHD only for the RAC. If someone has made an RHD RAC, post a pic of it. If we had a US muscle car, force that to LHD.

For the road cars, I feel sure they can co exist provided it is stored on LFSW based on nationality.
F1 cars in real life do not list the actual speed travelled on the dashboard (wheel) as absolute speed in KPH or MPH is irrelevant for the driver. Therefore there is no reason to just remove MPH - either remove both or leave as it is.
-1 I only know a few speeds in KPH in conversion to MPH

Why does it matter anyways? When do you have the time to even look at how fast you're going in the BF1?
#17 - wien
Quote from Hankstar :Sometimes I wonder if people just get bored, comb through LFS's features, notice something that isn't 100% representative of reality and decide to start a thread about it

I think that's just what happens when a project reaches the high state of polish LFS is in right now. Since the changes from version to version are so small, people focus all of their pent up energy on these smallest of details and sort of get trapped in that narrow view of the whole thing. Things you normally wouldn't think twice about suddenly become extremely important.

Just look at the recent test patch threads and the giant arguments that pop up over the simplest of things (SHIFT+S anyone?). How important are these details in the grand scheme of things? Is it really worth having Scawen use a lot of his time defending every minute change he makes, when it could be better spent on something that actually matters? It must be really hard for him not to get dragged down into that level of micromanagement. At some point you just have to say it's good enough, and readjust your focus to the really important things (Which seems to be what Patch Y will be about, fingers crossed).
OMG dude, talk about jobs worth suggestions! You must be bored to suggest that, it's so pointless and would just annoy people.

Sorry guy but you should be ashamed of yourself
Actually all those details like forcing driver side, kph vs mph and what ever could and should be handled only by leagues.
Quote from garph :You must be bored to suggest that, it's so pointless and would just annoy people.

I seem to recall his last suggestion was to force us all to have national flags next to our names. :rolleyes:
Chevrolet at first had a RHD Lacetti in WTCC but in their 2nd season they changed to LHD because most of he tracks are clockwise. I guess it's faster in right corners that way.
Quote from duke_toaster :As all real F1 teams use km/h and probably are mandated to, it would help LFS if the speedo setting was over-rided for the BMW Sauber and everyone had to use km/h. Also, I imagine that the speedo of the RAC and MRT are also km/h only. If they are, that should be simulated in LFS as well. Also, as no RACs have been made for UK/Aus use, the driver side option should reflect that IMO.

Juan Pablo Montoyas McLaren-Mercedes F1 used to be with MPH!
Quote from duke_toaster :I'd like all the cars that would be typically on one side forced to that side. Many WTCC - and a hell of a lot of BTCC - cars are LHD, so maybe force the XFR to LHD and the UFR to RHD (UK built, see UF1). I'm not sure about real FIA GT Porsches, but I feel sure that all of them are LHD, so the FZR should be LHD. For the FXR and XRR I'm not sure.

The LX cars are probably UK built, so they should be RHD (the same re. the UF). As I said, LHD only for the RAC. If someone has made an RHD RAC, post a pic of it. If we had a US muscle car, force that to LHD.

For the road cars, I feel sure they can co exist provided it is stored on LFSW based on nationality.

Bigh question is, WHY? That is, quite stupid to be frank.
This whole argument is ridiculous. Who says which country the GTRs are built in? Are you going to base the car's "nationality" on its styling? What if someone doesn't agree? OK, an LX or UF looks British, an XR looks Japanese, an XF looks Western European, fair enough. The people driving them might be Lithuanian or Australian or American, and they might want to choose the same driving side that they use IRL - how on earth is it an improvement to take that choice away?

Sure, I'd get used to sitting on the left eventually but that's not the point. If I was being forced to drive a LHD car for no good reason it'd piss me off and I'd want to know whose stupid idea it was.

---

Quote from wien :I think that's just what happens when a project reaches the high state of polish LFS is in right now. Since the changes from version to version are so small, people focus all of their pent up energy on these smallest of details and sort of get trapped in that narrow view of the whole thing. Things you normally wouldn't think twice about suddenly become extremely important.
[/snip]

Well said :up: and if that is indeed the case, I think some people need to find other ways to fill their time, quite frankly There are many, many more important aspects of LFS that need to be addressed before we start forcing people to do something they don't want to do and which has no benefit for them, or for the game.
Most of the speedos I've seen have both MPH and km/h. I'd hate to be forced to use km/h.

Does any team actually force their drivers to use one specific scale? Or would they switch it if they asked? Seems to me the latter would make more sense to those who were bothered.

-1 because it's pointless and annoying for those of us who stick to MPH.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG