The online racing simulator
Rendering with Blender Tutorial
(194 posts, closed, started )
Well you can install blender 2.42 into a separate folder - as long as you tell it to use the install folder for the script location, you can import using 2.42, save the imported obj as a .blend and load it up in 2.43.
Thank you very much!

Great tutorial
how do i use indigo?
Hey i got the script to export the .blend as xml. but how do i load it in the renderer i tried to edit the ini file thing cant rember the whole name but all i got was a cream colored blank
Quote from hyphy_racer :Hey i got the script to export the .blend as xml. but how do i load it in the renderer i tried to edit the ini file thing cant rember the whole name but all i got was a cream colored blank

You might be better off making sure that you have downloaded http://www2.indigorenderer.com ... orum/viewtopic.php?t=1269 (Indigo 0.7 test 5) along with http://www2.indigorenderer.com ... orum/viewtopic.php?t=1302 - a better exporter script that will run indigo for you. With this script you edit the material inside the exporter window, you need to give each material a name in blender.
thanks
The old .obj import script actually exists in blender 2.43 installation, but a new version of this script has been added, and only this one is accessible via the import menu. We can use the good old one with the text editor, open it and run it. However the result is weird, shading does not exist in viewports, and it seems there are too much generated meshes, causing z-artefact conflicts.
i use the last version of blender... yeah this erro appear when i import *.obj :\
OK read the warnings at the top of the tutorial, there's how you should proceed to import the obj files
Guys there's an easy way out, you can use 2.43 with this script, it works!
Search for this file: obj_io_modif232b.py
Have fun.
Know what, i found this and i can use it, but i can't do nothing else, maybe i'm brainless, but i can't understand totally the tutorial.
I have to tune up the camshaft on my brain....
obj_io_modif232b.py

I've just tested this script and it works quite fine (thanks for this tip btw) but it imports the file in one merged mesh only, so no material splitted meshes.
You're not brainless, but you can't do anything except to split the meshes manually which spents too much effort and time.

------------------

because of this obj importation problem, I'm beginning to think that importing the cmx files in that way causing everybody doing exactly the same things, is stupid. It might be better to post ready-to-apply-skin .blend files of each car.
I have other questions I'm asking to myself about that, but let me know what do you (all) think about it.
oooooooooooooh
that's the point, i had no idea the other files import splitted.

By the way, tomorrow morning i will have my brand new g25, so, time to drive not to render....
Quote from Bogey Jammer :obj_io_modif232b.py

because of this obj importation problem, I'm beginning to think that importing the cmx files in that way causing everybody doing exactly the same things, is stupid. It might be better to post ready-to-apply-skin .blend files of each car.
I have other questions I'm asking to myself about that, but let me know what do you (all) think about it.

That would be a great ideia and really helpful to everybody. That way, anyone who doesn't have the time or knowledge to get to know how Blender works, could easily render their skins. Altough, from the litlle experience I´ve got with Blender, if you´re wanting to get into 3D and don´t have the money to buy expensive software to do it, you should really get to know how to use it, because it seems to me a very powerful application, and there´s a lot of information and tutorials about it over the Internet.
Hello Matt..looks like both of us are trying to learn Blender....... lol
Great tutorial by the way Bogey Jammer
blank white rendering screen
whenever i try to render using yafray i get a blank white screen as my render window and i can close it out. and it wasys that blender is not responding. please help.
thats what i got in a small test with yaf(a)ray:

partypope: have you set Yafray up correctly? do you have a camera in your scene?

black vampire: good render and good settings for the shadows; rims seem to be hard worked

Now my last test render:

Rendered with Blender's internal renderer only. I Just worked the materials, added a sun lamp, used a HDR image for the sky and its light for ambient occlusion. The only things that are annoying me are the glasses. They have a nice smoked effect but I don't wanted it and didn't not managed yet to transmit the light in the cockpit correctly. I didn't have this problem with Yafray however.

I think I'll continue to work with Blender's renderer only because it's a lot easier and quicker for production. Yafray is slow and hard to setup, Indigo is better but painfully the slowest, hard to use and we must entirely redefine materials for it without previewing the settings.

EDIT:
glass tweaked:

Turned off 'raytraced' for glass material to let the light enter the cockpit, and switched to 'ztransparent' instead of 'ray transparent', to see the sky through the windows. Then the mirror effect and opacity have been increased to keep the realistic effect of glass. There's still too much noise...
hi, i am using the 2.42 version and i have a problem. When i go to "file->import->wavefront(.obj)" this comes up:
Attached images
blender_problem.JPG
what does the python console say exactly?
i really dont have a clue about this stuff so i dont know whar the python thing is, is it the script you open and press "alt+p"
Python is a programming language, the scripts we use in Blender are written in python. The python console is the DOS-like windows which spawns each time you launch Blender. This console tells some informations about Blender when it executes python scripts, so if there's a python error, that console tells it to you.
i still dont get you fully. How will i show you what is on the python thing?
Quote from niall09 :i still dont get you fully. How will i show you what is on the python thing?

In your start menu, look for a dos prompt. I can actually see it in your screenshot, it's labelled c:\program files\blen... and it's right next to the main blender button.

Just click it and you'll see a dos prompt, take a screenshot of it or paste the text here.
This thread is closed

Rendering with Blender Tutorial
(194 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG