The online racing simulator
LX8 vs LXR
(115 posts, closed, started )

Poll : Which would you prefer to have?

LXR
LX8
LX8 vs LXR
You know, this is one thing that has never come up, and we all here are confused what to really call it, but thats not what this thread is about really.

We have always been stuck between the name LX GTR and LX8, but lets be honest, what do we really want, a car to compete in the GTR class? Or a car alone by itself known as the LX8?

We've all seen pictures of what we could arguably call the LXR, so here are some invisioned by others, and me.
C40Z
tikshow
XCNuse
(sorry if there are others out there I haven't posted)

Or, the LX8
Here

And for those that weren't around before the release of S2, here is the stats on the LX8 back during sometime I believe around the time of beta testing. Took them from a fuzzy picture that was taken at some game show.

Engine: 3.0 Liter V8
Power: 257 kW (345bhp) @ 9481 RPM
Torque: 285 Km (210lbft) @ 7392 RPM
Total mass: 753 kb (1581lbs [i believe its a bit fuzzy])
Power-weight: 341 W/kg (485 bhp/ton)
Weight dist: 43.2 F 55.8 R

NOTE:
This whole thread is totally pointless and will not get us anywhere, I just want to see everyone's thoughts on the subject.

LXR/8 is alive! and it will stay in our dreams for years to come.
LXR to add some more diversity to the class
LXR FTW

I wanna see more cars in the same class
Hmm... LXR I reckon, because I'd much rather have a
LX4R with 500hp/tonne 4 cyl 225hp slicks cage no windshield and no df.
LXR, I love that LX10 Morgan looking car. I just want a prototype car LeMans style or a single seater without downforce like Formula Ford.
Naming it LX GTR Doesn't necessarily mean it will be in the same class as any of the GTRs we currently have.

Rather, the "LXR" would just be in its own class, and should just be a LX racing shell, rollcage, low windscreen, lighter weight, slick tyres, no headlights, and a powerful but small engine making it a really quick little car. Most of all, NO DOWNFORCE. If you purposely tried to fit it into any other GTR class, it would just ruin the car for what its real potential could be. It wouldn't be something to compete with the FWD GTRs, nor would it EVER be as quick as the big GTRs.

Like any series really, the Lotus 7 trackday cars are in a class of their own, and they always run in one field of the same car.

I still voted for the LXR, because the LX8, LX10, or any LX with stupid big wings is just overkill and improperly made. Those models seem great while you think of the specs, but it just doesn't represent a decent racing LX model.
I'd rather have a plain Seven with more grunt than a totally ruined Seven with lots of gay looking bodykit all over it.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I'd rather have a plain Seven with more grunt than a totally ruined Seven with lots of gay looking bodykit all over it.

+1

if anything to be in the GTR class, add the RGTR (RAC w/roof in GTR class)
So you wouldn't like this one Kev?
http://www.autoweek.nl/images/480/7970.jpg

Set a record at Nurburgring by the way, also it turned out to be 15 seconds faster than the Carrera GT.

Keep this thread going and I think I'll make a new mockup LXR.
Quote from XCNuse :So you wouldn't like this one Kev?
http://www.autoweek.nl/images/480/7970.jpg

No, I wouldn't. And I don't care how fast it is. The super-sevens are fun because they weigh nothing, they've got too much power and no aero thought has gone into them whatsoever. Once you add downforce it wouldn't be fun any more.
Surely you remember when I did this Tweak?

Thats how the LXs should look
I still don't like that rollcage .

But why go through all the trouble of making a LXR with wings? It obviously is too absurd to have in LFS. And like Kev says... it takes out all the fun of driving such a machine.
LX8.

Fits in the family.

LX4. LX6. LX8.
Why not?

Other companies have done it too you know besides Donkervoort. Morgan has done it, Caterham has actually done it (somewhat ), I wouldn't be surprised if other companies have done it before.

So to keep on the topic at hand, you guys would prefer to go fast in an open car just to screw around, rather than have a true fledged race car to compete the GTR class?

Yes they are cool looking cars, but look at it in terms of LFS and how it works. For several cars there are 2 lower end versions, and then the race version (ei: XR, XRT, XRR), for the LX, there is LX4, LX6, then there could be the LXR. I'm not trying to change your mind, but rather understand why you guys would prefer another LX car which wouldn't be in any class.
LX8 GTR with a wing to compete the "big" GTR
Quote from XCNuse :So to keep on the topic at hand, you guys would prefer to go fast in an open car just to screw around, rather than have a true fledged race car to compete the GTR class?

It's not "screwing around". Have you raced the LX6 much? You should try it some time.

And even if you did stick a big gay bodykit on a Seven it wouldn't be a competitor to the GTR class - it would still be way too small and would get bullied out of the way.
I think another GTR car would be awesome... (LXR)
Especially seeing the restrictions coming in patch X...
By "screwing around" I just mean.. to have fun with seeing it wouldn't be able to fit into any specific car class we currently have.

As far as bodykits go, that is why Donkervoort (and Morgan for that matter) took the pleasure of increasing the track width and putting a full cover over the wheels here. It may be smaller yes, but you have your advantages, which include smaller which is obvious, thus lighter, meaning faster acceleration times and faster turning rates. The downsides however include not having a big clunky engine. Then again, every car in the current GTR class has its advantages and disadvantages though, so it fits in perfectly.

Also just take notice I never said it had to fit into the FXR/XRR/FZR class, just a "GTR" class. So really, we could fit one into the XFR/UFR class (which is what I believe you are wanting to go for here?)
I think an LXR in the big GTR class would look ridiculous and get beaten all about the place by the 1 tonne monsters.
However, a LXR with slicks, no aero and about 280-300 bhp/tonne would add very nicely to the mini GTR class, and add a rwd component to the class.
Quote from XCNuse :rather than have a true fledged race car to compete the GTR class?

Quote from Flotch :LX8 GTR with a wing to compete the "big" GTR

You guys don't understand. Is there ANY Caterham out there that has wings that can go 170mph+ ? (OH, and does it race against other cars? Don't start pulling charts from just solo runs at the ring) You can't make such a lightweight car to compare to those GTRs. They have bigger tires, loads more power, probably even a bigger fuel tank.

Come to think of it, you know how stupid it would be to have such a lightweight car with downforce competing against those cars? All you would run into is a really fast handling car, but no speed. The big GTRs would never be a class for this car, it is just silly. And besides, the big GTRs are kept to spec so they are all balanced. This so called LX GTR would not be balanced in any way at all if you tried to put it in that class. Not to mention it would be completely out of place.

The GTRs are representations of saloon/touring cars, and in no way should an LX be punched into that class. All you would get is a very idiotic car that would be made SPECIFICALLY to try and match the big GTR cars. While it would be a wiser decision to match the LX to a real-life counterpart such as the CSR 260, and make it race-spec.

Stop suggesting all these dumb cars that will obviously not fit right into the GTR class.

Quote from colcob :I think an LXR in the big GTR class would look ridiculous and get beaten all about the place by the 1 tonne monsters.
However, a LXR with slicks, no aero and about 280-300 bhp/tonne would add very nicely to the mini GTR class, and add a rwd component to the class.

I agree.
I'm not suggesting anything? I'm just seeing what people prefer.

Anyways, the Morgan Aero 8 GT has a top speed around 170 MPH.
Quote from XCNuse :By "screwing around" I just mean.. to have fun with seeing it wouldn't be able to fit into any specific car class we currently have.

Cars don't have to fit neatly into a class to have fun racing them. Isn't the FOX the most popular car in LFS? Seems to be.

Quote from XCNuse :Also just take notice I never said it had to fit into the FXR/XRR/FZR class, just a "GTR" class. So really, we could fit one into the XFR/UFR class (which is what I believe you are wanting to go for here?)

If you added a slick-shod LX6 with a bigger engine and downforce to the XFR/UFR class it would absolutely wipe the floor with them. I don't think you've thought this through.

I would like to see a RWD competitor for the XFR/UFR, but it should be a touring car, not a Seven.
The Morgan Aero 8 is not a Lotus 7 at all. And that car is nearly twice the weight of a 7.

On average, the top speeds of the racing Caterhams, like at Caterham Masters, are around 140-155 mph.
This thread is closed

LX8 vs LXR
(115 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG