The online racing simulator
Going the Dvorak way
(34 posts, started )
Going the Dvorak way
Quote from Ziil :Dear Mr. Dvorak: ...

Funny somebody mentioned Dvorak, I've just switched to using that keyboard layout (rather than boring old qwerty). A fun challenge for the summer. Typing is so slow at the moment...

Anyone else use it, perchance?
Quote from Bob Smith :Funny somebody mentioned Dvorak, I've just switched to using that keyboard layout. A fun challenge for the summer. Typing is so slow at the moment...

Anyone else use it, perchance?

OH NOES!!!!! The moderator overlord is going off topic!!!!!
#3 - SamH
Quote from jamesrowe :OH NOES!!!!! The moderator overlord is going off topic!!!!!

LOL! There's nowhere else for this thread to go, now! The licence has been won.. everything from here on is off-topic!

@Bob, I've thought about going Dvorak, but it's just too daunting. Bring on the RSI, I'm stuck with a traditional oblong keyboard. Besides, there's no point in accelerating my typing because I can already type faster than I can think. Read any of my posts for reference
Quote from SamH :@Bob, I've thought about going Dvorak, but it's just too daunting. Bring on the RSI, I'm stuck with a traditional oblong keyboard. Besides, there's no point in accelerating my typing because I can already type faster than I can think. Read any of my posts for reference

It's still oblong: my keyboard. Not all the keys would swap round so I had to use some marker pen and a grinder to label them up right.

Anyway, are you a man or a moderator? You should relish the challenge!
I need to get back on my Dvorak learning horse again, like I was.

Bob, I started Dvoraking about a week ago in my boredom of not being able to LFS.

Ahh, OSX with its 2 Dvoraks, just to confuse me.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Ahh, OSX with its 2 Dvoraks, just to confuse me.

There are four layouts, two-handed and single-handed, both in right and left handed flavours.
Yes, there's a Dvorak normal, but then there's Dvorak -(Apple Command Symbol) Qwerty layout, and I think I'd be better at two handed where the vowels are on the right hand side, but I haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

AHA: the Dvorak-Qwerty one uses Dvorak, but keeps the QWERTY commands. Lovely
Wow how mod's change threads, I think Niko is not the main spammer! It is actually..... BOB SMITH!!! (Shock horror)

Back to the on topic off'ness, I think I will change my work keyboard's layout just to confuse the hell out of me! ... Will probably make me work faster
Here, now it has its own thread, happy now?
Why learn a keyboard layout that will cripple you whenever you have to use someone else's computer?
In what aspect is this layout any better from the traditional layout?
#14 - axus
Quote from Kalev EST :In what aspect is this layout any better from the traditional layout?

It's optimized for fast typing. QWERTY is designed to slow typing down because the mechanical arms on old typewriters would get stuck, making the process a mess if you type fast. However, with computer keyboards that's not an issue.
I tested dvorak once. It was interesting, and I think it would work quite well if I would learn using it. I am an expert in using fin-qwerty though, so I'm not in a hurry
Man I'm sticking to QWERTY lol, been using it for about 4-5 years now, and only just getting used to typing without looking at the keyboard lol, would mess up my typing if I tried a new keyboard layout.
I might need to scream at the system admins at my school to enable dvorak as a input form, claim it to be a religious choice = win
I switched to dvorak full time about 4 years ago. I popped all the keys off of an old logitech and arranged them into dvorak at first. I did this during the middle of 3rd year cs.

I decided to switch EVERYTHING, not use qwerty again for at least 2 weeks. So I had to modify my computers, and the ones I used in the labs etc.(everything is easy with linux ) No problems there. The first day was very hard... after that it got easier much faster. Within 2 weeks I was at a very solid pace. Around 2 months or less and I was at the same pace I had been with qwerty. Speed is not different, but there is definitely less moving around on the keyboard for vowels. And I tent to mix vowels up much less in my typing.

I can still touch type on qwerty if I need to, not as fast as I used to be.

Overall I'm happy with the switch, won't go back.
Quote from Bob Smith :Read this if you want to know the history, and why we should all switch.

You mean all the "English-typing" people should switch. In other languages the fruecuency of letters being used may be very different.
Well yeah, ideally each language should have its own bespoke layout, although I'd imagine most European languages would have similar "optimum" layouts.
Quote from geeman1 :Or use Vistas speech recognition

i do all my perl scripts with that

Quote from Kalev EST :You mean all the "English-typing" people should switch. In other languages the fruecuency of letters being used may be very different.

there are dvorak layouts optimised for pretty much every language there is ... well latin letter languages anyway

Quote from UnresponsiveBeeVictim :Dear god that thing is expensive.

i dont get how they arrive at that price either but i guess its down to the classic microswitch keys
I've considered dvorak several times, then considered the amount of time I spend at other keyboards I cannot remap, etc. It's not worth it for me right now

Going the Dvorak way
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG