The online racing simulator
The Death of F1 as we know it
(104 posts, started )
#2 - joen
Is it April fools again already?
Just when I thought the split rear wing was the most ridiculous thing the FIA could come up with they pull this one out of their sleeve.

I'll take a full grid of privateer teams using proper F1 cars over crap like this controlled by the big car companies.
I can cope with smaller, more efficient engines. I can even cope with the use of turbochargers. But 4 wheel drive, traction control and power boost stuff should NEVER be allowed in motorsport in my opinion. Even on loose surfaces. Sure, it might be quicker. Sure it might be safer. But my God it's boring...

New FIA rule, applied to all forms of car racing: The car must have no more than two driven wheels, must have sufficient torque in the first three gears to spin the rear wheels EASILY at speeds below 80mph on corner exit regardless of surface conditions, and have the only power/torque modulation control via a cable activated by the drivers right foot. No electronics may be used, except to reduce fuel consumption at WOT and limit detonation...

Didn't think it through, so don't be too picky, but you get the jist...
Sounds like they are emulating the A1 series. F1 needs something doing to it to make it possible to overtake, but powerboost buttons is all a bit 'fast and furious' for my liking.

What they really need to do is just reduce the amount of aero devices the cars have. Its these that always give the car infront in a battle the advantage of clean air, and the car behind in the turbulent air has little or no chance of getting enough speed or grip to pass.
F1 died at Imola 1994 anyway
They got to be joking! Four wheel drive AND traction control!? They are just getting rid of TC for god sake, and now are bringing it back before it's even removed, some consistency to the decision making you idiots! Don't actually care about bio fuels, if it makes some people feel better, fine, but they are not that healthy for the environment. But a push to pass button would awful.

Like already said, the only way to make F1 more interesting is to increase mechanical grip. Fat wide grippy slicks should do it (weren't slicks were planned for 2008 season?) as the problem seems to be the slippery tires, when behind another car there is no grip.

But once again this just shows what kind of **** Mosley is, if they want to cut costs, make consistent decisions, this smells more like pleasing more manufacturers to get in the sport.
thats crap more like A1 now
#8 - joen
All the FIA needs to do is look at some footage of the 70's and 80's to get an idea how to make F1 exciting again. Sure, those cars wouldn't live up to the safety regulations we have these days, but surely cars like that combined with modern day safety measures could make a great package.
I was watching some clips again of that era recently, and god it was exciting to watch.

But I guess over the years the focus of F1 has shifted more and more from passionate racing and giving spectators an exciting race to being a showcase for the big car companies.

Just when I thought they were on a somewhat good track like making the cars wider again and using slicks (with the exception of the above mentioned rear wing)...

They might as well remove the drivers and turn F1 into a big scale RC racing class now.
Quote from joen :
They might as well remove the drivers and turn F1 into a big scale RC racing class now.

RC racing is pretty competitive, it might be more interesting with giant RC F1 cars!

I read it, and it mentioned 2.2L Turbocharged V6's... on BIOFUEL? And limited to 10krpm... geez, guess I'll have more time to play LFS when F1 is on TV soon
I think we should assassinate max its for his own good. i can't stand FIA so damn controlling. i see no need to change F1. if they want more relevants to cars they make a new series with open wheel cars and only power regulation is have to use pump gas.

I suppose what they are trying is to get more fans and lower the cost. when u have teams like toyota spending 400 million a year and not winning races i would be uneasy. i would quit if i was toyota and i guess fia is afraid it will get to expensive for someone to compete and not be on podium. i think thats why they are so restrictive there trying to help the "slower" teams.(IE one make tires,No tc in 08)

if thats the case i think there going about it wrong, if they don't wanna see sato at the back every race. then let the man have more than 300 tires a season and unlimited test time so he can practice.
Quote from RockBottomWalsh :
Well if this goes through you can kiss the most advanced formula in the world tag goodbye. Really depressing reading on a friday morning. Anyone got thoughts?

God, calm down!

I swear some people are so frightened by change, even when it's good for them.

The new rules are going to reduce the massive dependence on aero grip which currently makes overtaking or even close racing very difficult. GOOD FOR FANS, ie. YOU.

The new rules are going to make (or at least 'appear to make', and you know that's what really counts! ) F1 much more environmentally friendly. I don't know if you had noticed, but the whole climate change issue has gained a great deal of traction lately, and the FIA must act quickly to ensure that this does not damage F1. GOOD FOR FANS, ie. YOU, as I'm sure you don't want to see F1 disappear all together.

The new rules are going to attract greater manufacturer involvement. The costs of F1 are such now that it is impossible not to be involved without some sort of manufacturer support. Without manufacturer involvement, F1 makes about as much sense, has about as much appeal, and is about as financially viable as one-legged turtle racing. Manufacturer involvement ensures the future of F1. GOOD FOR FANS, ie., YOU, as I'm sure you don't want to see F1 disappear all together.

Finally, and most importantly, this is only a proposal. A starting point. Think about the negotiation process; for argument's sake, let's use the example of buying a new television. Do you immediately offer the highest price you are willing to pay for your new television? NO! OF COURSE NOT! That would be stupid. You start with a much, much lower price. Then, the salesperson makes you a counter-offer, and vice-versa, until you have reached a price that is acceptable to both parties. THIS IS EXACTLY HOW CHANGES TO F1 HAPPEN! It's a process of negotiation. There are more interested parties than just Max and the FIA. Max knows (unlike some of the reactionary, emotional, twitty F1 fans) that F1's survival, and future growth, depends on a number of interests which include (but are not limited to) manufacturers, the FIA, and yes, FANS.

That's right, believe it or not, the powers-that-be understand that if no-one watches F1, F1 ceases to exist.

In summary, RELAX! This is just a starting point. These changes are necessary and will benefit almost everyone. I guarantee they will ultimately benefit you as a fan. The on-track racing can't actually get much worse than it is now, right? I mean, let's be honest, F1 is pretty effing boring from a racing perspective.

Bring on 2011.
Quote from lalathegreat :i see no need to change F1.

And this is exactly why you will never find yourself as the President of the FIA.
Quote from sam1600 :The new rules are going to reduce the massive dependence on aero grip which currently makes overtaking or even close racing very difficult. GOOD FOR FANS, ie. YOU.

Not sure if the new rules will, as the bit I read didn't mention much about downforce...
Quote from sam1600 :The new rules are going to make (or at least 'appear to make', and you know that's what really counts! ) F1 much more environmentally friendly. I don't know if you had noticed, but the whole climate change issue has gained a great deal of traction lately, and the FIA must act quickly to ensure that this does not damage F1. GOOD FOR FANS, ie. YOU, as I'm sure you don't want to see F1 disappear all together.

Agreed. I think F1 should pander to the environmentalists so it can keep going. No point letting the uneducated 'green-brigade' win any battles if we can help it.
Quote from sam1600 :The new rules are going to attract greater manufacturer involvement. The costs of F1 are such now that it is impossible not to be involved without some sort of manufacturer support. Without manufacturer involvement, F1 makes about as much sense, has about as much appeal, and is about as financially viable as one-legged turtle racing. Manufacturer involvement ensures the future of F1. GOOD FOR FANS, ie., YOU, as I'm sure you don't want to see F1 disappear all together.

Do not agree - manufacturers are pretty much without exception bad for motorsport these days - they want the sport tailored to deliver their message, and aren't prepared to go motor racing for the sake of it... Brand imaging and all that is bad. The huge budgets are bad. The PR is bad (e.g. Nick Fry)... What we want are RACERS - Ron Dennis, Frank Williams, Giancarlo Minardi etc

Quote from sam1600 : Finally, this is only a proposal. A starting point. Think about the negotiation process; for argument's sake, let use the example of buying a new television. Do you immediately offer the highest price you are willing to pay for your new television? NO! OF COURSE NOT! That would be stupid. You start with a much, much lower price. Then, the salesperson makes you a counter-offer, and vice-versa, until you have reached a price that is acceptable to both parties. THIS IS EXACTLY HOW CHANGES TO F1 HAPPEN! It's a process of negotiation. There are more interested parties than just Max and the FIA. Max knows (unlike some of the reactionary, emotional, twitty F1 fans) that F1's survival, and future growth, depends on a number of interests which include (but are not limited to) manufacturers, the FIA, and yes, FANS.

What Max is doing, to use your TV analogy, is to offer swapping it for a chicken, then going through every farm animal, before getting to money (sensible solutions).

Quote from sam1600 :That's right, believe it or not, the powers-that-be understand that if no-one watches F1, F1 ceases to exist.

You sure they understand that. Is that why they change the technical regulations and sporting regulations so regularly that most fans can't keep up, alienate them by not listening, and not actual deliver the goods (obvious racing) whilst worrying about pointless things the 'fan' doesn't care about, doesn't make the sport safer or slower, or more dramatic.

Max and Bernie were once great for the sport. Now they are simply damaging.

Awaits Jamexing to tell us how 4WD, traction control and turbos do, against all evidence, make for decent drivers cars or racing spectacles. I refuse, however, to get drawn into an argument with his backward and unsubstantiated opinions.
They want the car manufacturers to have an F1 series where their cars emulate road cars.... www.fiawtcc.com comes to mind.
The best thing that could happen to F1 is get all the teams to go to LOLA (or some other good chassis manufacturer) and let them buy some cars, let the manufactures build the engines and get rid of all driver aids, inc paddle shift. A nice sequential stick out suffice. hmmm.... ChampCar!
Quote from nikimere :They want the car manufacturers to have an F1 series where their cars emulate road cars.... www.fiawtcc.com comes to mind.
The best thing that could happen to F1 is get all the teams to go to LOLA (or some other good chassis manufacturer) and let them buy some cars, let the manufactures build the engines and get rid of all driver aids, inc paddle shift. A nice sequential stick out suffice. hmmm.... ChampCar!

i said the exact same in other thread about getting rid off paddle shift,totally agree
#16 - joen
Quote from sam1600 :God, calm down!

Uhm, yes you should...

Quote :
I swear some people are so frightened by change, even when it's good for them.

So you are the all knowing prophet that has determined that these changes are good for "us"? I personally ain't afraid of change at all. Actually, I think F1 needs A LOT of change. I just don't feel these are the right changes for the sport.

Quote :
The new rules are going to reduce the massive dependence on aero grip which currently makes overtaking or even close racing very difficult. GOOD FOR FANS, ie. YOU.

Certainly there are other ways to do this as it has been like this in the past.

Quote :
The new rules are going to make (or at least 'appear to make', and you know that's what really counts! ) F1 much more environmentally friendly. I don't know if you had noticed, but the whole climate change issue has gained a great deal of traction lately, and the FIA must act quickly to ensure that this does not damage F1. GOOD FOR FANS, ie. YOU, as I'm sure you don't want to see F1 disappear all together.

Something tells me motorracing fans aren't exactly in the same camp as environmentalists for the biggest part. And F1 surely isn't going to disappear completely because of these environmentalists. As long as the global powers that be have anything to say in it. In the big picture the pollution caused by motorracing is a drop in the ocean.

Quote :
The new rules are going to attract greater manufacturer involvement.

Yay.

Quote :The costs of F1 are such now that it is impossible not to be involved without some sort of manufacturer support.

Then something should be done about the costs, increasing the manufacturer influence is not the way to go about it imo. On the contrary it will only make it worse and F1 will eventually implode.

Quote :
Without manufacturer involvement, F1 makes about as much sense, has about as much appeal, and is about as financially viable as one-legged turtle racing. Manufacturer involvement ensures the future of F1. GOOD FOR FANS, ie.,

Really? I seem to remember F1 from a time where manufacturer influence was WAY smaller than it is now, the races were more exciting and the drivers needed more talent.

Oh, and about the costs. I saw an interview with Patrick Head who stated that F1 was relatively much more expensive in the early 80's which he described as the most expensive era from F1.

Quote :
In summary, RELAX! This is just a starting point. These changes are necessary and will benefit almost everyone. I guarantee they will ultimately benefit you as a fan. The on-track racing can't actually get much worse than it is now, right? I mean, let's be honest, F1 is pretty effing boring from a racing perspective.
Bring on 2011.

Well, it appears some don't share your opinion and have a different view of how F1 should be. That's fine, opinions differ, but I don't see what relevance or position you have to be able to guarantee me as a racing fan that these changes will be for the best. In the end your views hold the same amount of relevance as mine or any other. Which is virtually nothing in the big picture. Right now, you're acting like you have information and facts that we don't have and that somehow you know better.
lol?
The turbo and 4WD I don't agree with. Nor is the 10k rpm limiter.

I do like the idea of bio fuel though, this is obviously an area that all cars will eventually have to switch to (or some other non-fossil fuel), so if F1 can lead the way and get it in public view, I'm all for that. Ultimately it means we could get bio-fuel road cars faster, which means cheaper bloody petrol. Woo!

A V6 is a bit zzz though. Why not larger capacity, more cylinders and naturally aspirated?

Power boost = you are kidding?

I really don't see the point about F1 cars being relevant to road cars. I mean, the two beasts couldn't get any further apart. And it's just fine like that.
For me, I'd love F1 to be like how it was in the early '90s. Thing is why manufacturer's have such a strong influence on all this is because there are more teams that have been made by the car manufacturers solely (spell?) (e.g.: Toyota, Jaguar (R.I.P. ), Honda, Renault[Perhaps still has the old Benetton taste to it]) so what I'm coming at now is that all these teams, all they really care about is to have their name in the sport and run it their way.

Back in the early '90s, you had teams like Jordan, Dallara, Mclaren, Williams, Minardi, Tyrell and so on. I know that some of these teams are still around but the difference is that car manufacturer's have a stronger influence on the sport now as all these teams either have left the sport due to expenses or are now strongly backed by car manufacturers.

When I was reading that article and saw the bit about "road car" development planned on being used for F1 development, it just instantly clicked "BLOODY CAR MANUFACTURERS!!!". So if you look closely at the difference in teams from now to then, you'll find a lot more private F1 teams back in the early '90s with proper managers who stand up to say their say to make racing better. So, I think that the problem is the fact that there are less private teams.

I bet that most of you already know this but maybe some don't
ccws & GP2 ftw
I was reading the article on ITV F1 thinking 'these changes aren't so bad', but then I got to the joke section about 4wd, bringing back TC and the power boost addition.......what!

I mean seriously, what goes on in the heads of the people who come up with these rules? I can agree with making the engines more economical and related to road cars, but they then have to go and eliminate driver skill completely....AGAIN! Just as I thought F1 was beginning to go back to driver skill (in 2008 with no TC + slicks[?]), they plan to re-instate these drivers aids & more! ahhhhhh!

It's so badly thought through it makes me mad! It would only take a survey or a poll of current F1 fans to find a reasonable format that everyone could enjoy whilst being eco-friendly. Dumbass FIA morons...
I wonder does FIA need a new, slightly revised logo?

So TC is banned for 2008 but they are thinking about bringing it back in 2011. I don't know about anyone else, but I think there is something wrong with their logic. Why ban something only to bring it back? Just ban it for good.

This article makes it sound like F1 will become like every other racing series. I mean F1's appeal is that its completely different from everything else, and also its amazing technological innovations. F1 wouldn't be F1 without each team coming up with their own technology; if everything was standardized, I'd probably stop watching F1. I really hope the teams do not agree to these rules.
This is stupid.

Ethanol engines? Fine. Turbos? fine. 4WD? No!

4WD is fine, but not in single seaters.

How F1 should go is - it resembles the 1970s (ground effect) and 1980s (forced induction engines) with some modern ideas as well.
  • Ground effect - ChampCar style underbody effects with some heavily regulated small wings. If cornering speeds get too high, the ride height could be increased.
  • Production based 2 litre turbo engines - basically WRC engines with the intake plates (and antilag) removed (~500hp?)
  • Scrap the teams limit - that is the worst rule. Allow customer cars, allow pretty much B teams. Alfa Romeo's that are last year's Ferrari would be something to look forward to. If you get 50 entries, just have 2 heats on the Saturday (not prequalifying as it used to be).
  • Customer chassis with a "must provide price" - not a claimer rule, but if a manufacturer team must supply a chassis to the first two teams who offer to buy one for a fixed price, and chassis makers must sell them to the first 8 teams of people who want them
  • No t-cars. Rather obvious - a chassis no. should be fixed to a driver for the whole season.
  • No TC
  • No "live settings"
  • 6 people working on the cars in pitstops.
  • I don't think that they have been done in S/S cars before, but air jacks.
Rant/thinking aloud over.
I don't know why your all bashing Max, he is the one who wants no driver aids and fat slicks, he just has to please all the teams. Blame the car manufacturers, they want F1 to showcase the technology they use in their road cars (bullshit because they spend more on r&d for that stuff than they do on F1)

Anyway, aero changes are coming in 2010, slicks in 2009, tc ban 2008 and standard ecu's...you really think they will change all of that?

(104 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG