The online racing simulator

Poll : Are you using the hi-res skin downloads?

No
I won't pay for hi res skins
I will when official patch X comes out
Yes
It's too expensive
#51 - JJ72
Quote from Quint999 :Thanks very much, yes thats a good indicator

Am i right in saying the compressed ones are the new DDS versions and look like the compression has messed up the sharpness a little , the colours etc seem to bleed etc around the writing ?

Yes its better than jpg 512's but im not sure its worth paying for.

not even one pound?

I mean one pound in UK only gets you one MARS bar!!
#52 - Jakg
minimum payment = £3 = 6,000 skins

in 24,000 miles and a few years of forum whoring i've only got 8,800 skins

EDIT - JJ72, it gets you 2 mars bars

£3 in the UK gets you a Salad from Sainsburys and a can of coke
£3 gets you a chocolate cake
£3 gets you 500 g of cheese
£3 gets you 6,000 1024 hi-res skins

i think i'll do the latter
#53 - axus
Quote from Quint999 :Do i pay for all the skins in my folder then ? , or just the new ones i download ?, i dont particularly want to spend a fiver converting all the old skins i'll probably never see again

Just the ones you download from now on - if you delete all your 512x skins, next time you see them online, they'll get downloaded again in 1024x though.
to anyone that says LFS looks ... imo its bloody beautiful

I agree! BTW that's definitely not the default road texture. So who's? Honey's? Nice.

Quote : its all about the racing, not taking screenshots!!

Well, its racing at upto 75 screenshots per second (or according to your refresh rate). So, what would you rather? 75 crappy screenshots, or 75 nice looking screenshots?
OMG are people complaining about the costs??

LOL

some people have no concept of running a business, maybe the devs should raise the cost of the program each year to go with inflation??
Quote from Electrik Kar :

Well, its racing at upto 75 screenshots per second (or according to your refresh rate). So, what would you rather? 75 crappy screenshots, or 75 nice looking screenshots?

i would rather the core game was improved with new race modes and such, rather then the devs getting sucked into all the fancy VGA fanboys winging, about how they can not read some minute piece of text on somebody's skin 3 places in front of them on the grid
No.

I can get hi-res skins from friends and the forum.
Would I pay for highres skins? No, because highres or lowres my computer sucks either way.
Well I might pay 21 MXN It's not that expensibe but when Patch X comes out.
#60 - axus
Quote from Quint999 :sorry but my post had nothing to do with the actual cost however large or small that may be , why should i spend any money on something i dont need ? , i was simply asking for examples .

Because you want it. You know you do. Stop living in denial.

I will be paying for, and using the hi res option (i think its a small price) and fully understand the costs involved with extra bandwith ect
Not so much for a slightly more improved look for the car skins, I could do that manually for free (but its got to be easier automatic?), but also to support the devs with their work and costs.

SD.
I just paid. I love to see the new skins people put so much work on and offcourse i want to see them in the best quality that is possible
After all its not much money right
After seeing a comparison between 512 and 1024 rez skins, I wont mind putting a fiver down for the high res skins
Pay to download skins? Your having a laugh. Not a chance,however low the cost.
#65 - wien
Already paid up. Don't think I'll really notice when racing though. I see this more as a good way of supporting the devs. We're talking pocket change here anyway.
Will be paying for hi-res skins, but not before the patch goes official

its really cheap, for 2000 skins.

ps. seems like some ppl think you have to pay to get skins from now on. but just to clarify for those not updated. you will still get the low res for free. its just an extra service for ppl who want the high res skins
Quote :i would rather the core game was improved with new race modes and such, rather then the devs getting sucked into all the fancy VGA fanboys winging,

Just one more quick observation before I get out of the topic... :soapbox:

This is the second of two official graphical enhancements I've seen since I've been around LFS (more than a year). The other was higher-res mirrors, which I guess was a pretty simple addition, so you can hardly accuse the devs of focusing too much on graphics at this stage in the game. Sure, they might not add anything to the core gameplay, but these improvements are part of S2, and the goal is finishing S2. The other thing is- the new skins feature came as part of a range of improvements (18 total) and fixes (13 total) which have come about in the last week - and, lastly- patch X seems to be right around the corner, which Scawen's been upto his armpits in- at the same time...

Point made. Off to Berlin.
I would like to use hi-res skins, but not if I have to pay for it. It's just too akward no matter how you explain it with bandwidth bills. Doesn't this basicly mean LFS S2 price tag is too cheap?
I'll probably pay when patch X comes out...
I find little difference between a 512 or 1024 when I'm racing so I'd rather have lower res skins to help my fps.
#71 - JJ72
Quote from deggis :I would like to use hi-res skins, but not if I have to pay for it. It's just too akward no matter how you explain it with bandwidth bills. Doesn't this basicly mean LFS S2 price tag is too cheap?

I think with the fact the LFS has never kept up with inflation...it deserves something extra.
Quote from deggis : Doesn't this basicly mean LFS S2 price tag is too cheap?

Not sure if this question was dead serious (dam smileys), but yes it does mean LFS is too cheap. But there is nothing that can be done to change that. The price is set to £12 per stage. If it was raised now, when the majority of the future users already have LFS, the new users would actually be paying the bandwidth. That would not be fair. Not even to mention that the devs probably weren't planning to implement skin downloads and not even to mention higher resolution when the license price was set. I think this kind of extra service is more flexible and to add, many successful companies don't make their profit with actual products but with their services, sms system, the upcoming LFS shop, go figure.
Quote from Jakg :minimum payment = £3 = 6,000 skins

in 24,000 miles and a few years of forum whoring i've only got 8,800 skins

EDIT - JJ72, it gets you 2 mars bars

£3 in the UK gets you a Salad from Sainsburys and a can of coke
£3 gets you a chocolate cake
£3 gets you 500 g of cheese
£3 gets you 6,000 1024 hi-res skins

i think i'll do the latter

CHOCOLATE CAKE FTW :headbang:
And cookies. You know what, I'm going to eat a cookie right now.
Take THAT!!!!111!one!!!1111!

Back ontopic: When X comes out, I'll pay.
I'm not paying for them, not because I think they are too expensive, I think its a really good offer and I may avail of it in the future.

I am glad right now that every one else (who has availed) can see my skins in a higher res Big grin
Not currently. The 512 skins have never bothered me.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG