The online racing simulator
TEST Patch W20 : updates (W17 compatible)
(81 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Scawen :No. because you perform the heavy duty work of skin loading before the final connection stage, the final connection stage - where "a player is connecting" - is shorter.

Does this mean that your spot on the server is only reserved after your pc has the track loaded and all the skins cached? I remember that on a few occasions i got a "Server full" message during connecting after my PC finished loading the track and everything else. If so this might become an issue for drivers with slower connections.
Another small bug, LFS colors the skin filename if there is a color code in it, like this one: HEL_^2PO.dds
Attached images
colorcode.jpg
Quote from GP4Flo :Another small bug, LFS colors the skin filename if there is a color code in it, like this one: HEL_^2PO.dds

Thats been around since S1

When we download skins in game, do they go straight to the skins folder? Since the skins_x and y are for .dds skins? Have I got that right?
Quote from Scawen :No, you pay £1 to download 2000 1024x1024 skins for other peoples' cars.

so if i wasnt too pay £1 to see 2000 1024x1024 skins do i see everyones skins blank? sorry to be a burden here buddy
Thats so sad, pay for a Skindownload...
No, if you pay you can have the higher resolution versions. If you don't everything works like it has before. You guys would know this if you had read the 1st post!
Quote from dizzlez :so if i wasnt too pay £1 to see 2000 1024x1024 skins do i see everyones skins blank? sorry to be a burden here buddy

no you see them in low-res

"The low resolution downloads are still free."
-
(Don) DELETED by Don
Quote from dizzlez :so if i wasnt too pay £1 to see 2000 1024x1024 skins do i see everyones skins blank? sorry to be a burden here buddy

Why don't you just read Scawen's very first post in this topic?
Quote from BBO@BSR :no you see them in low-res

"The low resolution downloads are still free."

Quote from Don :no, you will see them in low res (512x512x), just as it used to be until now. If you dont pay, you dont loose anything we had until now.

thankyou both for explaining it too me much apprichiated

Quote from Batterypark :Why don't you just read Scawen's very first post in this topic?

I had enough reading too hard and propperly for one day, english sats allday allready gives me a headache, but i think i passed with flying colours

and cool avatar
Quote from Blackout :No, if you pay you can have the higher resolution versions. If you don't everything works like it has before. You guys would know this if you had read the 1st post!

I have read the first post, but i dont understand why the devs go to pay-dl-hires-skins, thats to commercial for me... just my
Still confused about adding your own hi-res online skins.

Before, we used to download hi-res skins from forums etc and place them manually in the skins_x folder, is this still possible to do?, or is the only way to get hi-res online skins by paying the £1?
Quote :I had enough reading too hard and propperly for one day, english sats allready gives me a headache, but i think i passed with flying colours

Check out your spelling of 'Appreciated', then re-think your confidence in your English SAT results (jk)

On Topic - Good patch btw!
CTD with w20.
Attached images
lfs_ctd_w20.JPG
Quote from GFresh :Check out your spelling of 'Appreciated', then re-think your confidence in your English SAT results (jk)

On Topic - Good patch btw!

they said they wont knock points off for spelling and i didnt have to spell that word in the test, so lucky me eh hehe
I think charging for hi res skins is stupid and people will say "oh but its only £1". So what maybe people like me dont have the resources to pay for it so us people who arent prepared have to use the crap skins
Quote from Termi :I have read the first post, but i dont understand why the devs go to pay-dl-hires-skins, thats to commercial for me... just my

High resolution skins require FOUR TIMES as much bandwidth as the current skins. Server bandwidth isn't free, so they need some way to cover the cost. If you don't want to pay, you aren't forced. This isn't like World of Warcraft where you have to pay $10/month just to play. If you don't pay the fee, everything is exactly as it was before. You've lost nothing.
Quote from Cue-Ball :High resolution skins require FOUR TIMES as much bandwidth as the current skins. Server bandwidth isn't free, so they need some way to cover the cost. If you don't want to pay, you aren't forced. This isn't like World of Warcraft where you have to pay $10/month just to play. If you don't pay the fee, everything is exactly as it was before. You've lost nothing.

thats what i thought ^^ i thought someone said to me if idont pay i will get 512x512 and pay for 1024x1024 :S i swear they did, ah well well i can go to bed now knowing thats cleared up for me
Quote from trebor901 :I think charging for hi res skins is stupid and people will say "oh but its only £1". So what maybe people like me dont have the resources to pay for it so us people who arent prepared have to use the crap skins

It seems reasonable to me. Everyone still gets the 512x512 skins for free like before and they are perfectly fine for racing too.
Quote from trebor901 :I think charging for hi res skins is stupid and people will say "oh but its only £1". So what maybe people like me dont have the resources to pay for it so us people who arent prepared have to use the crap skins

As i understood, you can now upload your high res skin on LFS World(before, LFS world would compress them to 512x512 automatically), so now you can upload a high res version and people who paid for them, can download them automatically...
As to Danowat question, i think that we can still manually download high res skins and LFS can see them, if not, than it's definately not a good move..
Quote from Cue-Ball :High resolution skins require FOUR TIMES as much bandwidth as the current skins. Server bandwidth isn't free, so they need some way to cover the cost. If you don't want to pay, you aren't forced. This isn't like World of Warcraft where you have to pay $10/month just to play. If you don't pay the fee, everything is exactly as it was before. You've lost nothing.

And it won't make you any quicker, having the higher res skins ( I know, just tried...and I'm just as slow :razz
So.... but if you have a good graphics card that runs this GAME well then you cant get the most from it
#47 - joen
Quote from Termi :Thats so sad, pay for a Skindownload...

What's the problem? If you don't want to pay for it, or can't...then don't. It's not like you can't download the lower res skins anymore just like you could before. Getting worked up about an OPTIONAL feature, somehow I expected these kind of comments.
It was made clear WHY charging for it is necessary, and that nothing will change for the worse if you decide not to use this OPTION.

Whiners.

Quote from trebor901 :So.... but if you have a good graphics card that runs this GAME well then you cant get the most from it

Money for a good graphic card but no money for the highres skin option...right.
. Post removed . Damn you people type fast...!

I have to run two Server 24/7, i know wat traffic costs.
i know that for "Geldschneiderei" i dont know wat is the English Word for that..
Quote from trebor901 :So.... but if you have a good graphics card that runs this GAME well then you cant get the most from it

Having the ability to download high res skins for a small fee is still better than not being able to download them at all.
This thread is closed

TEST Patch W20 : updates (W17 compatible)
(81 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG