The online racing simulator
Quote from BrandonAGr :An automatic LOD reduction when there are many cars are on screen would be a great feature

LOD reduction is already in the game. It's just a matter of some machines being so slow that even with LOD reduced all the way, it's not enough.
Quote from GeForz :You only need 11 Player and a sevrer configured to handle 3 cars per connection

Not sure if that would work since AI can't pit.
Quote from jayhawk :I am going to make a prediction; I predict that the final, compatible patch will allow 24-28 cars on the grid, not 32. I am in the belief that Scawen would like feedback to see just how far this game can be pushed, then scale it back to a level for people with normal computers can use.

It seems logical and, I dunno, Scawenish.

I don't think that would be the case (i hope not)..
I mean, i understand that some of you have really low end PC's, but the development can't be held back because of you guys
As someone already said, no one is forcing you to go to 32 players server..
You could really shell out for a new graphics card at least..
I got a black screen when i got on the 500 server and i pitted when the race is finished come out of the pit screen next thing it crashed so i waited a couple of mins then i got black screen bug or what?
Quote from NeoArnold :where is that post?

could you please write me the link? thanks

can't find it i find it later.
I agree with Boris. Although many users will not have sufficient computers to run with 31 other people, think about leagues and endurance races where 32 runners will really come in handy.

Plus, servers with 32 people will most likely only need to have 32 users, I'm pretty sure majority of servers will remain in the limits of majority of users can handle. The reason I know this is because, how many servers have you seen completely full? Most likely not very many, especially when compared to the number of half filled servers.
Why on earth does it matter if some people can't handle 32 cars on screen? Choose a race or league not running that many.

It would be good to see the max cars a specific track will allow listed somewhere in the track selection screen.
Quote from Boris Lozac :I don't think that would be the case (i hope not)..
I mean, i understand that some of you have really low end PC's, but the development can't be held back because of you guys
As someone already said, no one is forcing you to go to 32 players server..
You could really shell out for a new graphics card at least..

You tell me. By the way, my card is a Radeon 9600.

Edit: and I dont give two stone if I can handle 32 cars...I know I can, but how about a large group of people who DONT read this forum? IIRC, Live For Speed's finest point is that you dont need a gamer computer to play.
Everytime I tend to race online there is a new test patch out...

Maybe I should race more often

Quote from jayhawk :You tell me. By the way, my card is a Radeon 9600.

Edit: and I dont give two stone if I can handle 32 cars...I know I can, but how about a large group of people who DONT read this forum? IIRC, Live For Speed's finest point is that you dont need a gamer computer to play.

I didn't mean to offend you or anything, and you have better computer than i do anyway
It sounded like you don't wan't LFS to progress graphically, or in number of players on server, because many people can't handle it..
That means we should never get parts falling off, glass getting broken, better sounds, more detailed car models, detailed cockpits, etc??
People have to upgrade their computers SOME DAY, you can't expect that you can play 2007 PC game with Pentium 2, now, can you?
I haven't updated my PC in 3 years now, used to do it all the time for stupid FPS games, which bore me after a week...
Quote from Boris Lozac :I didn't mean to offend you or anything, and you have better computer than i do anyway
It sounded like you don't wan't LFS to progress graphically, or in number of players on server, because many people can't handle it..
That means we should never get parts falling off, glass getting broken, better sounds, more detailed car models, detailed cockpits, etc??
People have to upgrade their computers SOME DAY, you can't expect that you can play 2007 PC game with Pentium 2, now, can you?
I haven't updated my PC in 3 years now, used to do it all the time for stupid FPS games, which bore me after a week...

No offense taken! 28 players is good, 32 is better, and if anything, more entertaining in T1, but if there is a jump from 28 to 32 players in a short time, it may be too much graphically for alot (but not all!) players. I am all for improvements as you mentioned, but it just seems not like something Scawen or Scavier in general would do. W17 seems to me, to be a "throw it into the water and see if it floats" kind of patch.

If I am wrong, may I dine on crow.
how many cars are allowed on autocross (AU1) ? can't you just raise it to 20 or 21?
I think some of those with better systems are getting too defensive about the performance concerns.

No one in their right mind is going to ask that grid slots be reduced or that no new graphics features be introduced. However, it's still important to give the options for those who need it to alleviate load on their system. The current lowest detail LOD turns cars into blocky lego structures. If someone has to deal with that to get a playable 24 fps then so be it. However, I think they should have the option of dialing down their graphics that far if need be. It's not going to stop anyone else from using hi-res textures and 16xAA/AF.

Speaking as someone who has had to tweak a mid-range computer, I think the LOD reduction system is sometimes optimistic about what can be smoothly rendered. Perhaps some form of manual customization is due for the automatic LOD reduction? For example, setting a maximum car LOD level at all times. Or maybe a user defined max number of car polygons rendered, where if (# of cars rendered * #of polys per car) exceeds a certain number, all cars are dropped to a lower LOD. Or even a simple minimum FPS setting that the LOD reduction system tries to maintain.
People have mentioned the FPS issue caused by new, larger grids. At the moment there is a "Multiplayer Car Draw" setting, the purpose of which is self explanatory.

I think another option to limit the number of cars which can be drawn at the same time would be much more useful. If I only had 10 cars drawn at the same time, then I wouldn't get the game slowing down massively on the grid. However, I would no longer need a low draw distance and, on a long straight with a few cars spread out infront of me, I would be able to see those cars and not experience fps drops.

At the moment, if your PC can only cope with 10 cars on screen at once, you have to set a very low draw distance to avoid unplayable frame rates at the start. However, it can be quite frustrating to have cars flickering in and out of the draw distance when you only have one or two in sight, and it simply isn't necessary.

Sorry to bring up a suggestion in this thread, however, I think it would be a great help to a lot of people.

Edit: Well, I took a long time to write that post. Cannonfodder made a similar suggestion.
i think one of the best improvements which helps with frame rate is to reduce the quality of the mirrors. i think for most people and especially those with a slower computer do not need to see the bottom left champion sticker on the front pumper of the car two cars behind.

another great option would be as mentioned above an option where i can set like: maximum cars drawn. so there are only the XX closest cars drawn
Quote from KMSpeed :Btw, LFS is mainly CPU limited, not GPU limited.

Here's an older post I've made about this topic http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=342448#post342448

I dont think so:
some months ago (during patch U times) i have overclocked my athlon 64 3200+ from 2.0 ghz to 2.4ghz.
I have an X800GTO2 16 pipeline

Fps improved maybe of 3 or 4 at sec, with +400mhz!

LFS is gpu limited imho, for the same reason why, with the same cars on track, when u have them all in front of you, your fps are lower then when you have them on the rear.

If lfs was cpu limited there should not be any difference between these situations.
Found a minor bug...

In cockpit view the minimap is usually one color... light grey in this case. If you use look left/right/behind it stays light grey. But in custom view, the map turns dark grey when using those keys. (also in external/chase cam, the map is dark grey)

Don't know if it should be like that, but just seemed odd Also, strange... this somehow doesn't happen to some cars at random, it is weird. And, the map should turn dark grey no matter what if you are lapped traffic right? Well sometimes the cars would pit out and the map would be light grey for them (even after they pass the splits and do several laps to verify they are lapped down), but only dark grey if you used the look keys???

When I noticed this happening, I was on a server that was in progress and set to 10 laps, and nobody was finishing the race, they were just driving around. Finally they restarted the race, and now everyone's maps were dark grey, but as soon as someone pit in/out, the bug came back again. Like it has something to do with people pitting out of the garage when a race is in progress, then if it restarts, it still thinks the person really leading that new race should still have the old dark grey map. I dunno, I am really confused with these colors changing atm, lol!

(AS Cadet, all cars, online)
#95 - axus
Quote from Renku :How much optimisation can there be (I dunno of course), do you want 32 cars on grid and MX 440 as VGA card? Nobody is forcing you to go 20+ server. I know my 9600XT will certainly choke, but I won't ask Scawen to stop developing LFS because of that (adding more racer slots in this case). In leagues like MoE, it would be understandable if there is a requirement: "participant's PC must be powerful enough to handle 32 cars on track (+ spectators).

I don't want it on an MX 440, I should expect it on a graphics card that was pretty much top of the range 2 years ago (if I recall correctly), especially on fairly low settings bar the resolution. I'm not asking to go back to 30 cars or 20 cars just because my PC isn't good enough to handle more as there are certainly people with PCs that can handle it, I'm just saying that the car rendering time in LFS might need a bit of improvement (assuming it's possible) alongside this patch to make it more enjoyable. It's up to Scawen to decide the rest.
Quote from joshdifabio :I think another option to limit the number of cars which can be drawn at the same time would be much more useful. If I only had 10 cars drawn at the same time, then I wouldn't get the game slowing down massively on the grid.

i have to agree on that. some other games have that options like GTR or GTR2. I have abit more problems there so i just limite cars on screen to 10 and in mirrors to 5 for example. So making this feature would be most welcome
Quote from ste_ :Whilst 32 players is pretty awesome, it does mean that it's harder to connect to such servers (more players (dis)connecting which stops you joining), it's harder to join from pits or spec mode (same deal) and also harder to get a majority vote to restart a race (more people to leave the race, so more can join and of course the voting gets cancelled when a new player joins). I wonder if anything can be done to improve matters here.

This issue needs to be brought up again. Perhaps W17+n can have some sort of queuing system built in? So if a Player is Leaving or Joining, the LFS just waits 5 seconds and tries again automatically. After a few tries (or if Cancel Join Request is clicked) then it gives up.

Otherwise it's becoming quite easy to get Too Many Clicks errors, which I've managed to avoid almost entirely in the past.
Quote from Fischfix :i think one of the best improvements which helps with frame rate is to reduce the quality of the mirrors. i think for most people and especially those with a slower computer do not need to see the bottom left champion sticker on the front pumper of the car two cars behind.

another great option would be as mentioned above an option where i can set like: maximum cars drawn. so there are only the XX closest cars drawn

I agree with you!
Define "quality" of mirrors. LOD used for the mirrors, or resolution? Resolution seemed to not affect fps at all, so I guess it's LOD you're talking about?
there is already lod in the mirror, if you turn it down the cars appear as big colorful boxes.. what more than that?
and the multiplayer optimization code already makes cars disappear, and the near ones turn into boxes too..
This thread is closed

Incompatible TEST W17 - 32 Cars
(341 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG