The online racing simulator
Live For Speed S3 Cars...
(22 posts, started )
we got all the road cars the open wheeled cars the gtr cars...why not for the S3 final version have those P1 and P2 cars used on the Rolex 24 hours of daytona...similar to that body work style of the new Audi R10 diesel...and have a few cars with the fat Supercharger sound instead of whistling turbo....ive heard to much of the turbo since my first demo racer dabbling in S1H...i want to hear a new style of boosted motor when S3 comes out...
Quote from Turbocharge :we got all the road cars the open wheeled cars the gtr cars...why not for the S3 final version have those P1 and P2 cars used on the Rolex 24 hours of daytona...similar to that body work style of the new Audi R10 diesel...and have a few cars with the fat Supercharger sound instead of whistling turbo....ive heard to much of the turbo since my first demo racer dabbling in S1H...i want to hear a new style of boosted motor when S3 comes out...

Let S2 became Final first
There are no P1 or P2 cars in the Rolex 24 at Daytona. Not anymore at least. The Audi and other LMP cars race in JLMS, LMES, ALMS and, of course, at LeMans.

The Rolex series uses "Daytona Prototypes." Closer to a GT car than a proto in terms of looks, really. The only chassis that looks any good is the Crawford.
Quote from MAGGOT :There are no P1 or P2 cars in the Rolex 24 at Daytona. Not anymore at least. The Audi and other LMP cars race in JLMS, LMES, ALMS and, of course, at LeMans.

The Rolex series uses "Daytona Prototypes." Closer to a GT car than a proto in terms of looks, really. The only chassis that looks any good is the Crawford.

And only in relative terms. Those cars are ugly as a whole... and slow. I do watch GARRA stuff, but it just misses the mark for me.

Turbocharge, if you want to know more about ALMS, since you seem to like the cars, go to www.americanlemans.com. And btw, it is a bit of an insult to call an LMP1 car like the Audi R10 and Grand Am Rolex car.

Yes, I would love to have LMP1 and LMP2 type cars in LFS. It has been asked for many times before though.
I'd even settle for a DP; I just want some form of proto in LFS. P1 is optimal, though (GTP preferrably )
I agree, I would like to see some proto's as well. I live in Sebring Florida...and we have the "12 hours of Sebring", which is part of the "American Le Mans Series". They race P1, P2, GT1 and GT2. Seems to be a standard grouping.

Quote from WarBeer :I agree, I would like to see some proto's as well. I live in Sebring Florida...and we have the "12 hours of Sebring", which is part of the "American Le Mans Series". They race P1, P2, GT1 and GT2. Seems to be a standard grouping.

It is Le Mans "grouping". The ALMS uses the FIA/Le Mans rules (mostly) and all cars that run in the ALMS are eligible for the 24 Hours of Le Mans. For certain races in the ALMS, like Sebring, the class winning cars get an automatic invite to the 24 Hours of Le Mans which is much coveted.

If you live in Sebring then you are lucky. Sebring is the classic American sports car race.
God I'm so ****ing sick of these moronic threads..

Sorry, but every day there's at least one

Sorry if I sound like a ****
The only proper car would be something like a Group-C GTP car
MM.....Jaguar XJR-9.....Porsche 962... <drool>
it would be cool to see a motorcycle in S3,i know u guys are thinking "Hey whats this demo player on the S2 forums,GET OUT OF HERE" jk
Quote from Maciekzlk :Let S2 became Final first

and when that gonna be i know i shouldn't be asking you but this alpha has been going on for years now.. a game never stays that long in alpha or beta stage.. I think they forgot to take off the alpha part in the name...this is the final version. and yes it be nice to have a supercharger cars.
#13 - joen
Quote from orange_boy_uk :and when that gonna be

When it's done.
Quote :i know i shouldn't be asking you but this alpha has been going on for years now.. a game never stays that long in alpha or beta stage.. I think they forgot to take off the alpha part in the name...this is the final version. and yes it be nice to have a supercharger cars.

No, it isn't the final version, it's still an alpha. Why would patches keep on being released for S2 if it's a final...
Most other games are developed in a totally different way from LFS and by a multitude of developers. With most games you can't even use the game when it's still in alpha, because it wouldn't be released at that stage. So you can't compare LFS to other games in that aspect.
-
(geeman1) DELETED by geeman1
Quote from joen :When it's done.

No, it isn't the final version, it's still an alpha. Why would patches keep on being released for S2 if it's a final...
Most other games are developed in a totally different way from LFS and by a multitude of developers. With most games you can't even use the game when it's still in alpha, because it wouldn't be released at that stage. So you can't compare LFS to other games in that aspect.

oWNED:bowdown:
#16 - Mykl
Quote from joen :No, it isn't the final version, it's still an alpha. Why would patches keep on being released for S2 if it's a final...

Well, in that sense not many programs ever actually reach the 'final' phase of the software lifecycle. Even software that is in it's gold stage tends to get a patch every now and then to fix unseen bugs.

I'm not entirely sure why this software was dubbed as "alpha." Because in the strictest sense of the word as it applies to the software lifecycle it would at least be open beta from what I can tell.
Alpha - all features in game, but not at finished quality
Beta - all features up to standard, but may have a few bugs
Final - few bugs, and all features.

Alpha stage = long period as everything takes a long time.
Beta stage = short period, because even untested test patches are usually pretty bug free.
Final = it'll take a while before S3 stuff filters through.
#18 - joen
Quote from Mykl :Well, in that sense not many programs ever actually reach the 'final' phase of the software lifecycle. Even software that is in it's gold stage tends to get a patch every now and then to fix unseen bugs.

True, in a way. Conscious developers will release patches when serious problems arise even after the final has been released.

However, that doesn't necessarily have to do with beta or alpha tags. There is hardly any serious piece of software that doesn't have any bugs at all.

Quote :
I'm not entirely sure why this software was dubbed as "alpha." Because in the strictest sense of the word as it applies to the software lifecycle it would at least be open beta from what I can tell.

LFS is dubbed as alpha because not all planned features are in place, and not all existing features are considered finished. In short, alpha stands for "not feature complete" Dubbing S2 a beta would be incorrect as that would imply all features are implemented. Beta stands for "feature complete, but more testing is needed to improve stability, performance, etc". The term alpha has nothing to do with the software's lifecycle.

So, in the not too distant future when all S2 features are present, S2 will go into the beta phase. And that will probably be a pretty short time, as LFS has very little stability and performance problems.

After that, the first S3 patch will be released, and the Alpha thing will start all over again
Quote from tristancliffe :Alpha - all features in game, but not at finished quality
Beta - all features up to standard, but may have a few bugs
Final - few bugs, and all features.

I know there might be different ways to determine the stages, but this is the way I have been told the stages are:
Alpha - not all the features in the game, probably lots of bugs
Beta - all the features, bugs are not yet ironed out
Final - all the features, almost bugfree
Actually Tristan; Alpha means that not all features are included yet
#21 - Mykl
Quote from joen :True, in a way. Conscious developers will release patches when serious problems arise even after the final has been released.

However, that doesn't necessarily have to do with beta or alpha tags. There is hardly any serious piece of software that doesn't have any bugs at all.

LFS is dubbed as alpha because not all planned features are in place, and not all existing features are considered finished. In short, alpha stands for "not feature complete" Dubbing S2 a beta would be incorrect as that would imply all features are implemented. Beta stands for "feature complete, but more testing is needed to improve stability, performance, etc". The term alpha has nothing to do with the software's lifecycle.

So, in the not too distant future when all S2 features are present, S2 will go into the beta phase. And that will probably be a pretty short time, as LFS has very little stability and performance problems.

After that, the first S3 patch will be released, and the Alpha thing will start all over again

I guess as a software developer myself I consider it a bit odd to sell a product in it's 'alpha' phase. But I've been around long enough to know that the software development lifecycle is flexible guide... not set in stone.

I do admire the work the developers have put into this knowing that if they can structure their release schedule and introduction of new features in the way they have their code must be written quite nicely.
#22 - joen
Quote from Mykl :I guess as a software developer myself I consider it a bit odd to sell a product in it's 'alpha' phase.

Yup, it can be considered odd, but that's exactly why I mentioned earlier that in this aspect LFS can't really be compared to other games as they have chosen a different way of doing things.

And besides that, alpha doesn't necessarily say anything about the quality of the product. I feel that, as far as stability and amount of bugs are concerned, S2 can be considered a good, usable product. After all, the S2 alpha picked up where the S1 final left off, so a good solid base has been laid out already.

This can't be said about all software. Take nkPro for instance, they already released their 1.0 version, but to me it comes across as an alpha. So, numbers and tags don't say everything.

This way of working also has a lot of benefits. With most games/software, the product is developed up until the final release or late beta has been completed, leaving very little influence and feedback from the community. In LFS the entire community is able to give feedback at any stage of the development, giving them a great opportunity to contribute to the development and make their ideas/wishes known. This is great for the community and for the devs. I guess when you've been around for a bit longer and follow the test patches you'll see that the devs truly listen to the community and will incorporate it's feedback into further development. So, in a way, in LFS the community is "the fourth dev". Which, to me, is one of the great things about LFS.
-
(Karl Morytz) DELETED by Scawen : thread from 2007

(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG