The online racing simulator
LFS UK Gathering Thread 13 - Post Event Discussion
well that was fun

thanks very much to all involved and especially Bob for sortin' it all.
z3r0c00l - moving your post to a new thread in general discussion where we can mock the unbelievers. Yes, yes, it's the ominous 13th thread.

That was indeed an enjoyable day and, for those who stayed, evening.

For those of you not aware of our shenanigans: event details.

Quick rundown for those who left early or arrived late:
* People started turning up at the pub from about midday, pleasant chatter outside in the sun, starting to put names to faces.
* We arrive on time at the centre, two members shy. One more turns up just as everything is getting going, the other to never arrive. The GPL session goes well and is certainly "an experience". Those cars handle weird, kind of the opposite to LFS in some aspects. LFS: qualifying is fun and we have 4 great races, some better than others. Good fan had by all irrespective of pace, although some of the front to mid runners have the best battles.
* Points are totalled, trophys given (typical that a UK meet is won by a bloody foreigner ), a few photos are taken.
* Some toddle off home but the real men were up for more. Another pint at "the local" before driving into Southampton for a curry.

More thoughts:
* A good spread of ages, a couple turned out to be older than expected but everyone seemed to get along.
* Everything went very smoothly I thought.
* Big thanks to Adrian for letting the event completely over-run at no extra cost. And also for tagging along and keeping us company afterwards. His Elise looks nice also.

Some(what) comical issues:
* I prove to Adrian you can drive the FXR sideways around most of the track and still qualify third.
* Even hardened LFS players are at mercy to their women.
* Nowhere is safe from shoddy Logitech products.
Who was the youngest to attend?
man... I am knackered.... long and painful cycle home!

The event was a great success, really a good day....

Pub was good, once people started to turn up it then got nice and chatty...

Racing was a great experience, the 20min GPL session was good fun even though I knew what to expect although it seemed a lot easier to drive with the big projector screens, I was quite surprised to be top of the time sheets for that one only though by +0.025s away from Chris (Viper)

The LFS races and qualy was good fun too, managed to grab a first place in the qualifying, race grid was then reversed and on a track such as South City Town it always provides a lot of action which it certainly did. Had a nice race with Bob in that one...

The second LFS race at Fern Bay gold went well too (to my surprise), after my not so good qualifying I started 3rd in the reversed grid and then managed to win one one having a close race with Bozo until our slight contact which caused him to touch the grass...

The venue was better than what I expected, seeing the pictures I didnt think much of it but actually seeing it in the flesh was great and those big projector screens are wicked. The pods them selves were nice and comfy except pod number 7 which was just too small for my ass and were fully adjustable. Pedals had a really nice feel to them too and were 100x better than my momo ones at home.. Staff at the venue were really friendly and it was great to meet Adrian and co. Was good too see him come out after the event for food and beer, was also cool to get a ride in his Lotus!!!! :hyper: cheers again! We engaged on some lenghty discussions about GPL, LFS and other things sim related and it was really nice and relax end to the day.

must do it again soon!

thanks to everyone who attended, was great to meet you and good fun to race

mad
DTrott - Erm, either z3r0c00l or _Tux_ I think, both are 20 IIRC.
LFS_Noob was the one who didn't turn up, I didn't think he would; he's 14 i think.
we demand pics !
Quote from Madman_CZ :The venue was better than what I expected, seeing the pictures I didnt think much of it but actually seeing it in the flesh was great and those big projector screens are wicked.

Hi Madman,

Hope you guys don't mind me posting here - I've been keeping track of this thread for a while. I'm the webmaster of the driverschallenge.co.uk website, and I'm also responsible for a lot of the photos on there.

I'd be interested to know if you have any ideas as to how the photographs could be improved? It's very hard for someone who has been in the venue hundreds of times to get a good idea about how the photos appear to newcomers - I know what the venue looks like, so when I see the photos I see the venue!

One of the hardest problems we have is getting people along that first time, and obviously good photos are one aspect that can help greatly here. Any input as to what you didn't like about the photos, or what you were impressed by that the photos didn't convey, would be greatly appreciated.

Glad to see that you all seemed to have a good time!
I have not been there yet, but perhaps just more photo's, and maybe a short video clip or two of the place in action?
#10 - Rish
That would be nice (more photos and a video clip) especially if im gonna consider going next time!
Good man!, thats my lift sorted (Hopefully )
#12 - Rish
LMAO, yes i supose there will be 1 Fiat Ducato van travelling from Nuneaton for the next gathering. (if i can)
Quote from DTrott :LFS_Noob was the one who didn't turn up, I didn't think he would; he's 14 i think.

Spot on, and I'm still waiting for him to explain himself.

Quote from Shotglass :we demand pics !

Photos were taken but not by myself. I'm sure once people start dropping in on the forum, some photos will arise. Also we have the replays from races 1 and 4, Adrian is looking for the replay for race 2 as well. Race 3 is lost to memory. I'm hoping someone bored can go through these and make an exciting video of the action between all the races.
Have the next one up north! I'll be there If you do. Are there any centres near Newcastle? Middlesbrough?

Sounds like a cracking day! I wish I could've come.
Quote from mcintyrej :Have the next one up north!

I think that's the idea anyway. Two in the midlands, latest down south, it's only fair if we're aiming to truly make these events as national as possible.

From the last karting event and the problems it had getting numbers, I think October was picked as the best time to run an event. Somebody find some good outdoor karting tracks in the north and we can go from there.
Quote from Madman_CZ :the 20min GPL session was good fun even though I knew what to expect although it seemed a lot easier to drive with the big projector screens, I was quite surprised to be top of the time sheets for that one only though by +0.025s away from Chris (Viper)

Was well happy to be about half a second behind you. The LFS crew can hold its head high in this respect, I think a fair proportion of attendees managed times that would place us fairly high on the centre's record sheets. Not bad for a twenty minute acclimatisation session.

Was also happy with my race times on South City, despite my appalling qualifying times! And I plainly made a tactical mistake by qualifying amongst you fast geezers at Fern Bay. Didn't see anyone for the entire race, but it was great fun anyway!

Thanks Bob for organising the event - and it was great to meet you all.
I had great fun =) I will definatly go again. It was nice to see everyone in the flesh for a good change and chat about their lives without having to mash keys on a keyboard to do so! I can't wait for the next one! =)

The venue itself was very good and everyone was professional.

GPL was a welcomed experience. Having never touched GPL in my life I would definatly try it again.

The races themselves were a blast. LFS feels so different on a big screen like that. I suppose it was another big difference for me because all the driving was done on the right hand portion of the car when I am used to the left.

I had a fun day. I ran into problems the last race that ruined my chances of going for the top spot in the standings but I still had great fun and met alot of people that I have seen online for years.

Thanks for setting this up Ben and I hope you think of doing it again! =)
Awesome! Thanks Adrian =)
May I had another 'bout of thanks to Ben for getting this thing organized. I know the numbers wern't quite up to what he wanted but it's always like that with things like this . . And to Adrian for doing a cracking job of keeping on top of things and providing entertainment.

I was truly amazed at how differenent LFS feels with FFB and pedals . . . It was like having a eureka moment .. 'Oh! So this is how it's supposed to behave!' And the big screens where great. (Ponders just how much this will cost me)

Great day. Sorry I left early but I still had some serious drinking to do . . .

And I'm qietly impressed with myself with my times in the GT at fern bay . . . Theres a racing driver at heart in here after all . . . .

Good to see you lot in the flesh to. Takes some anonimity out of all this.

See you all again the next time round.

Again thanks.
good event, now if only i can get some of those pedals we used...
Yup, a great day indeed!

Big thanks to Ben (for organising) and to Adrian (for the venue)!

Tim
Big Thank You again to BOB
Id have no wish for any of the replays to see the light of day!
Many thanks again Bob for setting up the day.
Quite an experience!
Pics or it didn't happen!

LFS UK Gathering Thread 13 - Post Event Discussion
(68 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG