The online racing simulator

Poll : Track guides, yes or no

Yes, it would help some people out
No, no point
Track guides, worth spending time on?
A while ago, I wrote this for the ESL > http://www.esl.eu/uk/lfs/news/22170/

Lately, I have been toying with the idea of doing some more, is it something that would be needed in the community?, would it be worth spending time on?, would anyone find any use out of them?.

I would imagine the "stalwarts" of the LFS world don't need anything like them, but for the newer user, maybe they have some use?.

Dan,
#2 - JJ72
I would like to see one, when put on a website would add quite some realism and professionism to newcomers when introducing the sim.
Something along the lines of the one I did for ESL?, or something different?
#4 - JJ72
If you could, It will be great if it's something interactive, a track map with hotspots on every corner, when your cursor overlays it it shows the text and a pic. Again would be great for website usage.

writing style-wise I think it's quite good already.
Ok, food for thought, I would need some kind of web/flash guru to help out for that.......
#6 - Gunn
I think it would be very valuable and have thought so for quite some time. If I had enough time to do it myself I would have by now. Go for it mate.
Right, I'll do them for some more tracks, I will have to think about hosting etc.........
moar!
Quote from danowat :Right, I'll do them for some more tracks, I will have to think about hosting etc.........

I think the LFSManual would be a good place .

Great project by the way
I would be willing to write one for BL1.
I can easily provide them as PDF's as per this........
Attached files
FE_Green.pdf - 505.9 KB - 280 views
i will say Yes .Pls.Track Drift Guide.
Drift?, hmm......I can't, and generally won't drift, so I won't be doing anything that resembles a drift guide, sorry.
LFSManual would be a great place for it
I would be happy to host a track guide section on the STCC site, I think the hotspot thing shouldn't be too hard either.
Quote from Becky Rose :I would be happy to host a track guide section on the STCC site, I think the hotspot thing shouldn't be too hard either.

Sounds good, I can do the words/pictures and someone can host and do the "hotspot" thingy?
Right, this is going to happen, we (Triple Seven Racing) will host track guides for all track combinations .

Just need to knuckle down and write the buggers
May I suggest using the Wiki?
Quote :Sounds good, I can do the words/pictures and someone can host and do the "hotspot" thingy?

Yup, that can be done in CSS I think, so it remains truly portable and wont need a plugin.
Quote from danowat :Right, this is going to happen, we (Triple Seven Racing) will host track guides for all track combinations .

Just need to knuckle down and write the buggers

Great project! I can relate to pretty much everything you write about Fe green (even the "corner of hate" is the exact same for me ).
Good idea yes it would help.
So will it be a track guide general or a track guide for each car/class of car?

That's a hell of a lot of work?
It's going to have to be general, I have found that braking points and lines are generally the same for the majority of cars anyway.
Quote from danowat :It's going to have to be general, I have found that braking points and lines are generally the same for the majority of cars anyway.

Not sure I agree with that mate. I find the braking points in say the FO8 are much earlier than in the FOX. Same with the LX6 and LX4. And in FWD road tyred cars you have to turn in much earlier than say an XRR.

Not that this means the guides won't be useful for beginners but I believe advanced track guides would need to be combo specific.

Ofcourse you can save time by having one guide referred to in another. For example the final chicane at Aston National is the same as the final chicane for Aston Historic.

hmm - how many combos are there? - 19 cars and 48 tracks - only 912 track guides to write Do one a day and you can be finished in 3 years.
I'd be very interested in a guide showing the track and the best line, as well as a detailed analysis of the corner and a generalised best way to attack it it most cars. Braking/power down points are a personal thing anyway there's no real point in being told them IMO.

Quote from Gentlefoot :hmm - how many combos are there? - 19 cars and 48 tracks - only 912 track guides to write Do one a day and you can be finished in 3 years.

Take each corner and write a guide for it (some will obviously be different because of the different entry speed) but most combos could be strung together with a script I think.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG