The online racing simulator

Poll : Track guides, yes or no

Yes, it would help some people out
No, no point
Quote from keithano :It's certainly a nice idea. However, some really good racers should help or just a subjective personal guide will be written

Well it is exactly those rudely subjective articles that I like most, since they shed a light upon the drivers way to think and understanding of the driving. If that driver is experienced and even succesfull, then it must have some value, and give some learning points for less experienced drivers. Add a few other opinions of the same matter and you have a nice soup.

My learning process goes from having a theory, practicing it, understanding the theory better, getting more out of practice sessions, and gradually starting to master the skill. And with driving there are so many skills to learn, and you simultaneously push your skills further away in all fronts, some skills maturing faster, some slower. During this process it helps immensely lot if you get some good help from others.

So another +1 for these guides.
Quote from romus74 :Well it is exactly those rudely subjective articles that I like most, since they shed a light upon the drivers way to think and understanding of the driving. If that driver is experienced and even succesfull, then it must have some value, and give some learning points for less experienced drivers. Add a few other opinions of the same matter and you have a nice soup.

My learning process goes from having a theory, practicing it, understanding the theory better, getting more out of practice sessions, and gradually starting to master the skill. And with driving there are so many skills to learn, and you simultaneously push your skills further away in all fronts, some skills maturing faster, some slower. During this process it helps immensely lot if you get some good help from others.

So another +1 for these guides.

I do understand what you mean. Therefore, what I am trying to point out is that the guide should be written by some experienced and fast racers if it is going to be the subjective-one-man way. Or else, will you read a guide that is written by a noob?

I am not judging the experience and fastness of the thread starter, just .2 cents.
yep Keithano, I agree. I would not myself write such a guide yet
81 votes for yes are you going do it it be every useful.
Yeah, I am going to make a start on some others shortly.
Quote from JJ72 :don't think so...that would just be tooo specific, a track guide is to point out the characteristic of the track and it should be the drivers who figure out which line is best with their car/setup. Hell even the same car handles very differently with different setup, so one guide with each combo just don't work.

With a specific guide, which would include a link to the setup it was written with and also a video, you get an insight into what a top driver does on each particular track and why he does it. You can then learn by imitation and if you pay attention you will do something approaching the speed of the teacher. From there you have a base - you know what can be done and then you leave the comfort zone of the guide and explore how to best adapt the setup to your own style.

It's a much higher base than just doing a generic "this is the track, watch out for that kerb" sort of thing. Figuring out your own set, braking points and line may leave you thinking you're as fast as you can be when in reality you're miles off. Case in point - I drove hundreds of laps at Blackwood in the FOX and was made up if I shaved 0.01s off my time. The I discovered by chance that a corner I was lifting heavily on was actually flat out if you did it right - Wallop! 0.25s off my time in an instant.
As a convenience for people living in more enlightened countries, could you put the speed in km/h as well as mph?
Quote from Peptis :As a convenience for people living in more enlightened countries, could you put the speed in km/h as well as mph?

Good idea.
Quote from scawen in the patch W thread :And a few words about our plans : The idea now is that everyone can use this new version with its better sounds and smoother graphics, while we get on with the multiplayer-incompatible patch which we hope to finish in just a few weeks (depending on what comes up in that time). That patch (probably known as Patch X) will allow more racers online (probably 24) and more spectators, and various other planned updates for it as well (but no physics changes). Physics updates will come some time after that, probably in version Y and will include updated car cockpits (most notably the GTR interiors) and a graphically improved version of South City. We can't give any more detailed time estimates for those patches because we don't know what will come up while we are working on them.

Sorry to be negative but i think it might be a good idea to wait till after these changes incase anything that severely modifies the handling changes. Unlikely but possible.
4 more votes need to reach 100 %
#63 - Jakg
Quote from faster111 :4 more votes need to reach 100 %

i dont get it, surely if there are ANY against votes its never gonna reach 100% for?
Quote from Jakg :i dont get it, surely if there are ANY against votes its never gonna reach 100% for?

one more vote left to go.
Quote from faster111 :one more vote left to go.

Did he say 100 votes and he'll do it or something?
I would not read them all. But would probably give the tracks i use a read. Good job btw
Quote from garph :Did he say 100 votes and he'll do it or something?

Dont know but i do know he said in one of the posts his doing one track guide shortly.
#68 - Jakg
if he said he'll be doing it shortly then how does more votes help?s
Quote from JJ72 :If you could, It will be great if it's something interactive, a track map with hotspots on every corner, when your cursor overlays it it shows the text and a pic. Again would be great for website usage.

writing style-wise I think it's quite good already.

I did that over two years ago for FE green, map view hover over a track point up pops a window with flash movie of that section in car, etc to compliment a analyser road view with breaking points etc etc no one was really interested in it or helping make it a great resource so I gave up

and nowadays, to make a decent guide takes ages and never satisfies everyone so, i didn't continue with the ideas

ShannonN
OK not sure if I should re-ignite this thread but am gonna anyway.

I started creating a new track guide last night for KY3/FO8. I've spent all weekend looking at WR times and telemetry and am pulling it all together in a guide. It will feature comparisons of my laps (around high 58s/low 59s) with WR pace laps (around 1:57.7). It will include speed traces, track diagrams and lines, stills of turn in and apex points and in car AVIs that can be played at half speed. The track guide is split into sectors.

The setups I used during the lap analysis process will also be availble.

My server 'GentlefootFO8Racing' is currently running this combo and will continue to do so until I create the next guide in the series. On joining the server a message will appear telling the racer connecting that the track guide and setups are available to www.gentlefoot.com.

I'm hoping that this gives people a reason to race on my server and also improves the standard of driving we see. This will make for closer more fun racing.

What do you all think of this idea? Do you think you will ever study the track guides?
Well if you do it in the way you discribe I probably would It's a good idea to link it to your server activity

If it were just stand alone guides I'd probably still give them a quick look, but with added incentive to drive that combo soon after I'd be more inclined to take a closer look.

So I think your on the right track
Quote from Glenn67 :Well if you do it in the way you discribe I probably would It's a good idea to link it to your server activity

If it were just stand alone guides I'd probably still give them a quick look, but with added incentive to drive that combo soon after I'd be more inclined to take a closer look.

So I think your on the right track

I'm planning to run a league also. The track guides I will create will be for the FO8 and the tracks will be used in the Gentlefoot Formula V8 Racing League. I'm hoping the guides will encourage people to consider entering. Hope you're interested. Vote for format preferences here

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=23298

Thanks for your input.

GF
Quote from Gentlefoot :Hope you're interested

Would love to do league racing but not possible due to living in remote area with poor internet. Good luck with your project though, hope it does well
Quote from Glenn67 :Would love to do league racing but not possible due to living in remote area with poor internet. Good luck with your project though, hope it does well

Shame. Oh well, hope to see you on my server sometime, maybe on a weekend.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG