The online racing simulator
10 common mistakes when writing English ...
(62 posts, started )
From here.

Which are you guilty of? Should you know better? You should if English is your first language ... if it's not, demand a new English teacher

Original title (obviously aimed at born English-speakers):

10 flagrant grammar mistakes that make you look stupid

#1: Loose for lose
No: I always loose the product key.

Yes: I always lose the product key.

#2: It's for its (or god forbid, its')
No: Download the HTA, along with it's readme file.

Yes: Download the HTA, along with its readme file.

No: The laptop is overheating and its making that funny noise again.

Yes: The laptop is overheating and it's making that funny noise again.

#3: They're for their for there
No: The managers are in they're weekly planning meeting.

Yes: The managers are in their weekly planning meeting.

No: The techs have to check there cell phones at the door, and their not happy about it.

Yes: The techs have to check their cell phones at the door, and they're not happy about it.

#4: i.e. for e.g.
No: Use an anti-spyware program (i.e., Ad-Aware).

Yes: Use an anti-spyware program (e.g., Ad-Aware).

Note: The term i.e. means "that is"; e.g. means "for example". And a comma follows both of them.

#5: Effect for affect
No: The outage shouldn't effect any users during work hours.

Yes: The outage shouldn't affect any users during work hours.

Yes: The outage shouldn't have any effect on users.

Yes: We will effect several changes during the downtime.

Note: Impact is not a verb. Purists, at least, beg you to use affect instead:

No: The outage shouldn't impact any users during work hours.

Yes: The outage shouldn't affect any users during work hours.

Yes: The outage should have no impact on users during work hours.

#6: You're for your
No: Remember to defrag you're machine on a regular basis.

Yes: Remember to defrag your machine on a regular basis.

No: Your right about the changes.

Yes: You're right about the changes.

#7: Different than for different from
No: This setup is different than the one at the main office.

Yes: This setup is different from the one at the main office.

Yes: This setup is better than the one at the main office.

#8 Lay for lie
No: I got dizzy and had to lay down.

Yes: I got dizzy and had to lie down.

Yes: Just lay those books over there.

#9: Then for than
No: The accounting department had more problems then we did.

Yes: The accounting department had more problems than we did.

Note: Here's a sub-peeve. When a sentence construction begins with If, you don't need a then. Then is implicit, so it's superfluous and wordy:

No: If you can't get Windows to boot, then you'll need to call Ted.

Yes: If you can't get Windows to boot, you'll need to call Ted.

#10: Could of, would of for could have, would have
No: I could of installed that app by mistake.

Yes: I could have installed that app by mistake.

No: I would of sent you a meeting notice, but you were out of town.

Yes: I would have sent you a meeting notice, but you were out of town.

-------------

Of course, this is by no means a complete list. Apostrophe abuse, for example, could have a whole chapter of its own
Payed for Paid also persists thanks to the "real" education people get - reading other people's posts on message boards.
Hankstar' lets' just' wait' for' Kev' to' do' the' apostrophe' abuse' part'.

Also, you don't provide a good example of how to use "i.e"
These ones REALLY annoy me when I see people mix them up. I find when I'm playing World of Warcraft they are common mistakes. If English isn't your first language it's one thing, but if it is......... :slap:

speedfreak227
Quote from Hankstar :
#3: They're for their for there
No: The managers are in they're weekly planning meeting.

Yes: The managers are in their weekly planning meeting.

No: The techs have to check there cell phones at the door, and their not happy about it.

Yes: The techs have to check their cell phones at the door, and they're not happy about it.

#6: You're for your
No: Remember to defrag you're machine on a regular basis.

Yes: Remember to defrag your machine on a regular basis.

No: Your right about the changes.

Yes: You're right about the changes.

English is my second language but apparently I've had good teachers since I can't imagine myself making any of those mistakes.

But let's be honest, somewhere along the line I must have
-
(Blackout) DELETED by Blackout
#6 - Woz
The thing that winds me up about my native tounge above everything else is silent letters.

The WORST word is the word queue. How many silent letters do you need in one word. 80% waste

Are you guys going to point fingers at the mistake makers as well? At least the topic title should say something like, this topic is for the people whose first language isn't English. I felt kinda pointed at when i first read the topic. Maybe it was because i haven't slept in a long while and I'm going mental, but some other people might be a bit offended with this topic. I understand that you guys want people to use proper English on this forum, but using perfect English on the internet is a bit time consuming, and does it really matter where your apostrophes are? I mean they don't matter that much anyway, for me in that matter anyway. The message is in the context not in the apostrophes.
Quote from Hankstar :

#4: i.e. for e.g.
No: Use an anti-spyware program (i.e., Ad-Aware).

Yes: Use an anti-spyware program (e.g., Ad-Aware).

Note: The term i.e. means "that is"; e.g. means "for example". And a comma follows both of them.

ok, something learned, but i always use "ex." anyway

Quote from Hankstar :
#7: Different than for different from
No: This setup is different than the one at the main office.

Yes: This setup is different from the one at the main office.

Yes: This setup is better than the one at the main office.

ok that got me confused.
i would assume the first one is right, oh well school has passed by

Quote from Hankstar :
#8 Lay for lie
No: I got dizzy and had to lay down.

Yes: I got dizzy and had to lie down.

Yes: Just lay those books over there.

here the same, thought the first would be correct, i really hate double meanings of one word

also, im always too lazy to write the "'" ex. "i'm" although i know where to place them and when.
can lead to confusion, but hey im german im not supposed to write perfect english
Quote from Woz :The thing that winds me up about my native tounge above everything else is silent letters.

The WORST word is the word queue. How many silent letters do you need in one word. 80% waste

Queue is french actually. But it is true. you NZers tend to swallow a lot of syllables or even words. But you are not as bad as the french when it comes to that.
I can only give a maybe to #4, #7 and #9, though I don't remember any specific incidents. I do recall typing "payed" once and immediately noticing that it cannot be right, but that's about it. People who use "could of" need to be slapped in the face hard, however.

Other common mistakes:
separate, ridiculous, definitely
Quote from AndroidXP :I can only give a maybe to #4, #7 and #9, though I don't remember any specific incidents. I do recall typing "payed" once and immediately noticing that it cannot be right, but that's about it. People who use "could of" need to be slapped in the face hard, however.

Other common mistakes:
separate, ridiculous, definitely

sepErate, rEdiculAs, definAtely

To Taavi(EST): You seem somewhat cranky with this topic, despite the fact that your english is 100% better than the typical person this topic is trying to describe. Relax, and realize that it's all in good fun.

The issues being described are simply basic fundamentals that should be a part of any english user's knowledge, and anyone who has read through the internet for a while knows that far too many people make these errors far too often. The SAME errors. (yes that was a fragment) And often by people whose main language is english. We're not talking about 100% perfect punctuation, spelling, and indentation 100% of the time here. I know we're not writing graduate theses on these boards. But it IS a message board, and you have the luxury of time to compose and think a bit on exactly what it is you're typing. (unlike chatting while you're racing )
The worst thing I would do of this would be #1, but then again, I could just "accidently" have hit "o" twice
I've probably seen about twelve-thousand different ways of miss-spelling "definitely" now.
Number 3 is definitely the worst one with people who's mother language is English.
If I'd be given a penny for every time I've seen a English speaker using "there" instead of "their" or they're", I'd be rich
Quote from hankstar :#2: It's for its (or god forbid, its')
No: Download the HTA, along with it's readme file.

Yes: Download the HTA, along with its readme file.

No: The laptop is overheating and its making that funny noise again.

Yes: The laptop is overheating and it's making that funny noise again.

I am pretty sure i am guilty of that at some point or another. I know the difference but it isn't hardwired enough i can do it without thinking.
My simple way of remembering is
it's = short for it is
its = when something belongs to it.
Quote from Greboth :I am pretty sure i am guilty of that at some point or another. I know the difference but it isn't hardwired enough i can do it without thinking.

Ditto
Quote from ColeusRattus :Queue is french actually.

The french are the worst in that. Queue is written like that, but has to be pronounced /kɛ/. Or "eau" (water) that reads /o/. Or "mangeant" (eating) that is pronounced /mãʒã/.
Quote from Yaamboo :The french are the worst in that. Queue is written like that, but has to be pronounced /kɛ/. Or "eau" (water) that reads /o/. Or "mangeant" (eating) that is pronounced /mãʒã/.

funny, i have no idea how to spell squares
Quote from Yaamboo :The french are the worst in that. Queue is written like that, but has to be pronounced /kɛ/. Or "eau" (water) that reads /o/. Or "mangeant" (eating) that is pronounced /mãʒã/.

Queue - Cue, Same sound different meaning hehe
You forgot similar. It's a hard word for sure (I had to check the correct spelling before making this post :shy. Similiar and simular seem to be the popular choices.
Don't forget:

whether and weather
passed and past
I'm guilty of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. And I don't care.

The ability to communicate is more important than your ability to remember archaic rules of language set out by anal retentives in the 19th century.

Having said that, I dont hold with txt spk at all.
[Dutch]En met zo'n instelling, blijf je zwakzinnig.[/Dutch]

I think that being good at spelling gives a good impression of what a person is like. People who write in txt1337spk are obviously 12-year olds, or people with a bad education. Look at the devs, they write English flawlessly. They should, or they'll look like amateurs.

(62 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG