The online racing simulator
Skin Stealing in LFS?
(173 posts, started )
Quote from Jakg :to start off with i was sh*t, but since the STCC started i think i've actually become pretty good (well, quick-ish, my race craft needs a LOT of work), without "blowing my own trumpet"

Was only pulling yer plonker dude - I know you're one of the better drivers. Sorry - couldn't resist.
#52 - JTbo
Of course one could put "Volvo" badges and texts all over skin too, that would make people not to use it too, my skin has big texts "Volvolandia.com" under doors for example and also my name, etc. only persons with certain illness would use this and I would believe it is not cool among thieves
Quote from JTbo :Of course one could put "Volvo" badges and texts all over skin too, that would make people not to use it too, my skin has big texts "Volvolandia.com" under doors for example and also my name, etc. only persons with certain illness would use this and I would believe it is not cool among thieves

Now I know why you like the RAC so much. Must feel like it handles great compared with a Volvo lol
#54 - JTbo
Quote from Gentlefoot :Now I know why you like the RAC so much. Must feel like it handles great compared with a Volvo lol

Har, Har V360Cup cars are clocking same times around Zandvoort as are MX5 cup cars, with bit less HP, that is some handling to you
Quote from JTbo :Har, Har V360Cup cars are clocking same times around Zandvoort as are MX5 cup cars, with bit less HP, that is some handling to you

And Ricard Rydell's Volvo in BTCC years back weren't bad either.
Guys, what's the deal with homosexuality functioning as the nastiest insult you can throw at "skin thieves"? This is not particularly cool. Somewhere out there some LFS player who is actually gay is feeling most unwelcome because of all this. Is this what you want to achieve?
Quote from JTbo :If market salesperson puts apples to basket and basket so that you can see apples in it, are you then allowed take apples without paying?

No, but you're allowed to take a digital photograph of them.
Quote from jtr99 :Guys, what's the deal with homosexuality functioning as the nastiest insult you can throw at "skin thieves"? This is not particularly cool. Somewhere out there some LFS player who is actually gay is feeling most unwelcome because of all this. Is this what you want to achieve?

Maybe I am succumbing to stereotypes but I can't imagine too many gay men playing LFS.

Having said that you have a point. If we want to be a truly inclusive community we should be careful of these types of attitudes.
Quote from jtr99 :Guys, what's the deal with homosexuality functioning as the nastiest insult you can throw at "skin thieves"? This is not particularly cool. Somewhere out there some LFS player who is actually gay is feeling most unwelcome because of all this. Is this what you want to achieve?

No, but think of the mentality of the kind of people who would pinch skins - they want to feel big about themselves, big manly hairy men with muscles the size of anvils ... something like Desperate Dan only more rugged. Feining being gay flies in the face of that ...
#60 - JTbo
Quote from Gentlefoot :And Ricard Rydell's Volvo in BTCC years back weren't bad either.

Sure it was not and in Group A Volvo did not so bad, in rallycross always have done well.

But difference in V360Cup car and stock is camber, tires, rollcage, dampers and front springs and part of interior, everything else is stock so really not a race car in same way as BTCC machine
#61 - FL!P
Quote from Gentlefoot :Maybe I am succumbing to stereotypes

Yes, I'm afraid you are, mate.

Quote from jtr99 :big manly hairy men with muscles the size of anvils

Stereotypes again. I'm sure there are lots of big manly hairy men with muscles that are gay.

I really don't understand why gay people are seen any different just because of their sexual preferences. Would it occur to you to pick on someone who prefers Japanese food, or Italian cars, or Chinese girls?

This is just the same as racism. Caused by fear and ignorance.

Agreed, it's pretty juvenile and pathetic.
Quote from FL!P :Stereotypes again. I'm sure there are lots of big manly hairy men with muscles that are gay.

An entire sub-subculture of them, even. "Bears," I think the word is.

Now someone ask why I know that.
Quote from FL!P :Yes, I'm afraid you are, mate.

Stereotypes again. I'm sure there are lots of big manly hairy men with muscles that are gay.

I really don't understand why gay people are seen any different just because of their sexual preferences. Would it occur to you to pick on someone who prefers Japanese food, or Italian cars, or Chinese girls?

This is just the same as racism. Caused by fear and ignorance.

Yeah - I like Italian cars and Chinese girls. In fact, I've had them both lol. Not Italian girls and chinese cars tho
Quote from Vykos69 :Just my 2 cents:

About 99.9% of all skins use non licensed textures, logos etc. itself, you want to license them? And who's gonna pay the lawsuits from the big companies then?

The moment, you upload the skin, you give it free to everyone to use, and should be proud, if people use them. It's one of the coolest way to show that you like something, if you use it.

Its pretty hard to lay claim on some sort of copyright to the skin file when your using logos without permission... sure, but claiming it for private use shouldnt be an issue.

Theres not much that can be done to stop someone else using your skins, they only need to download it into skins_x and rename it and/or edit it and its completely out of your hands. Theres already an fairly established team still using team skins they know to be alternate coloured versions of someone elses skin (pretty much pixel for pixel) but what do you do. They didnt do it on purpose but when notified that what they were using was a rip-off of someone elses work it hasnt stopped them carrying on using it.

Anyway, mr Vykos, im assuming then your fully behind the whole community driving around in your newly re-branded race colours? Thats the coolest thing they could ever do, right?
Tell you what, they can be part of your 'cool' group, im quite happy with just the people i want to use them doing so. I dont need any approval from random people.
Quote from FL!P :Stereotypes again. I'm sure there are lots of big manly hairy men with muscles that are gay.

I never said there wasn't, try reading my post again
Quote :I'm sure there are lots of big manly hairy men with muscles that are gay.

A gay relative of mine preffers big manly hairy men, apparently they are called "Muscle Mary's".

So there you have it.
Quote from Racer Y :
On the other hand, it really bugs me when someone uploads the skin, has a nice screenshot and then says private all over it.. If it's that damn private, then I wish they'd just put it up on LFS world and not bother the rest of us with it. That is almost as wasteful as a spam post IMHO.

Well thats just silly. 1. He has the right to show us his skin, talents. 2. People who make skins, get inspired (as long as they don't nick the design). And 3; its a pleasure to see them. I've never been annoyed by someone not releasing a skin. They made it, its their right. And I say go them.

V
I agree with Venus, you should be able to show your skin to people but also say its private. The only skins I use which I call private are obvious ones such as team skins or ones with my own personal race number and name on them. I have actually offered to make versions of my skins for other people in the past, without my race number and name on them. But I tend to keep my favourite ones just for me.
or encript the skins_x folder so u cant view them via the folder
#71 - FL!P
Not sure what you mean, here. IMO, the solution would be for the skins_x folder (or its contents) to be encoded by LFS, to prevent people from seeing and re-using downloaded skins.
Quote from FL!P :Not sure what you mean, here. IMO, the solution would be for the skins_x folder (or its contents) to be encoded by LFS, to prevent people from seeing and re-using downloaded skins.

Yeah thats what i was getting at
Quote from FOGlegsy :or encript the skins_x folder so u cant view them via the folder

This has been discussed before. It's just too much work to stop something that really isn't much of a problem.
#74 - FL!P
Quote from FOGlegsy :Yeah thats what i was getting at

Oh sorry! For some reason I read "so u can view them"!
no my fault, i missed out the "cant" then edited it but didnt explain. my bad

Skin Stealing in LFS?
(173 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG