The online racing simulator
Skin Stealing in LFS?
(173 posts, started )
Skin Stealing in LFS?
Hi,

today i saw two people who are using our team skins... i spent several hours to create them.... and then there are thefts.... is there a possibility to prevent thefts from stealing team skins? or to tell an admin?

MfG

Trekker
#2 - Jakg
nope, only way is to follow them an have a go at them - and to make sure your skins have private written on them.

What i did when someone who refused to talk to me about nicking my skins was rather cunning - re-upload a new skin to LFSW, they will see the skin on their PC (as LFS will not download if a version exists in Skins), while everyone else see's the new one - here is the new skin
Rofl
Quote from Jakg :
What i did when someone who refused to talk to me about nicking my skins was rather cunning - re-upload a new skin to LFSW, they will see the skin on their PC (as LFS will not download if a version exists in Skins), while everyone else see's the new one - here is the new skin

But that cunning plan doesn't work if they have uploaded ripped version on their own account
#5 - Jakg
They hadn't, i looked in my rear-view mirror and saw a VERY sexy skin, which i realised was mine and hi-res, which means they'd used my named skin, which probably means it was being taken from my account.

Made me feel a lot better, too
@jakq:

cool idea :P

i will make a skin like yours when you allow
I'm wondering why it does take so long to block things like this. It should be an easy thing.
#8 - Jakg
Go for it, just think off all the insults you can think off and chuck em on a skin.

Thinking about it, i should of done a "man love rules - apply here" one
#9 - JTbo
Quote from Jakg :Go for it, just think off all the insults you can think off and chuck em on a skin.

Thinking about it, i should of done a "man love rules - apply here" one

Lot of pretty flowers and pretty pretty colours

Skin should also read "I'm a thief" etc. so everyone would know that is real reason why such skin.
Problem comes of course in that moment when they upload it to their own account with their own name.

My tactic is to use so ugly skin that nobody don't want to have one
Well if i wanted a skin to myself then i wouldnt make it public .

if you didnt make it public they might have seen yours and made it themselves, which you cant really do anything about.
#11 - joen
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Well if i wanted a skin to myself then i wouldnt make it public .

Using a skin yourself in public doesn't mean it's available for use by the public.
I did a similar thing, although the racer had made the mistake of putting his picture in his lfs world profile, so I downloaded it, turned him into a transvestite, and put some interesting comments all over the skin.

But, as there is no way to prevent it, that means it will get done.
Public servers are stocked with people who can only get attention
through being obnoxious, and they are usually more interested in
aggravating you than having your praticular skin.

Post you skin on the forum when you've developed it, and place hidden
indications that you are the creator - make a nearly transparent reference
to 'skin by such and such' some where out of the way. Incorporate your name in a way that can't easily be erased i.e. across one of the major elements in colors that blend in, again, in a fairly transparent manor.

Make your first display of it around people you know well - none of this will stop theft, but might make you feel better knowing that you don't have get in to ( desired ) argument of 'nu-huh, you stole it from ME'.

In the end, take comfort in knowing you achieved what you set out to do,
and also, know that the person stealing it is probably not skilled at other
aspects of LFS, so go out and beat the hell out of them on the track
at every possiblity.
Quote from Jakg :nope, only way is to follow them an have a go at them - and to make sure your skins have private written on them.

HAHAHAAAHHA
#15 - JTbo
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Well if i wanted a skin to myself then i wouldnt make it public .

if you didnt make it public they might have seen yours and made it themselves, which you cant really do anything about.

If market salesperson puts apples to basket and basket so that you can see apples in it, are you then allowed take apples without paying?
Even if it's a team skin, isn't it just flattering that someone wants to use a nice skin made by you. It's not the biggest crime in the world after all Best way to prevent this is probably write "NOT FOR PUBLIC USE" on some empty area in the skin file.
I don't really see why it is such a big deal. It's not like someone is going to be mistaken for being in team "X" when they are running 5 secs behind the leaders in some pub server (oh wait, that's me)
Besides, isn't it nice to actually be able to SEE your skin in action?
Quote from deggis :Even if it's a team skin, isn't it just flattering that someone wants to use a nice skin made by you. It's not the biggest crime in the world after all Best way to prevent this is probably write "NOT FOR PUBLIC USE" on some empty area in the skin file.

As long as the thief doesn't start wrecking... Don't forget, not everyone knows about the ctrl+shift combination.

I'd like to see some kind of protection against this implemented.
Quote from Jakg :nope, only way is to follow them an have a go at them - and to make sure your skins have private written on them.

PMSL- :hihi:
#20 - Jakg
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :if you didnt make it public they might have seen yours and made it themselves, which you cant really do anything about.

Skins_X folder stealing is a harsh reality
Quote from deggis :Even if it's a team skin, isn't it just flattering that someone wants to use a nice skin made by you.

+1 it's a compliment to a good design.
I get irritated by people posting up their skins then announcing it's private and no-one can use it. If you don't want people to use it, and you're posting it to enjoy some feedback why not post up a render, cmx or in-game screenshot?
What i wanted to say-spot on

hahahah brilliant Jakg
Think I saw that skin online once Jakg
Quote from al heeley :+1 it's a compliment to a good design.
I get irritated by people posting up their skins then announcing it's private and no-one can use it. If you don't want people to use it, and you're posting it to enjoy some feedback why not post up a render, cmx or in-game screenshot?

Thats all good and well if its just some random skin you created, but as the thread was talking about stolen TEAM skins then exactly how can 'compliment' that away?

Its identity theift to a (pathetic) degree, Its a skin/file intended for the use of 1 individual or all users of a SET group, not an open 'feel free' group of people. So im going to assume your not for a second suggesting its quite alright for anyone to just randomly drive round in any teams colours - tag or no tag, because thats just not how things go.
Team skins are off-limits unless your in that team, and IMO so are personal skins that you want to be the unique wearer of that skin. Posting it and then saying 'hands off' is asking for trouble, but doesnt make it any more acceptable to go against someones request.

Ultimately, if someone says hands off, thats how it should be and the same should go for Team skins without even having to say their private.
As i say, going to assume your just talking about individual random designs, though i dont entirely agree with your thinking.

Skin Stealing in LFS?
(173 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG