The online racing simulator
Development Path of LFS
(41 posts, started )
Quote :Turning off Road Surface Smoothing (kill the splines and let us drive on a not glass smooth surface)

That would be a step back! Why do sim programers seem to think that driving on "concrete slabs" is a good thing? Bumps are important in a race sim but imo its 5x better to NOT use bumps and use a smooth SPline road than driving on the polygons.

What happened to "If something's worth doing its worth doing properly"? Driving the polygons is much much further removed from a real road surface than splined smoothness.
@niels - surely it depends on what he replaces it with? You've made the assumption that it would be "driving on the polygons".

With LFS' current polygon density on the tracks I can understand your reservation - although the LOD system is good so arguably new tracks could theoretically allow this - but I would rather wait to see what Scawen actually delivers before mocking it...
True Becky, I'm a little scared as too many games tend to go 'hmm need bumps.. hmm polygons!'.. I hope Scawen comes up with a better system. "turning it off" as was said made me believe that the remaining surface would be polygons..
Quote from KurtG85 :I bet you Scawen could make alot of money by putting a live webcam on his computer which people could subscribe to in order to watch him program.

In the meantime, for instruction in the art of patience refer to this video.
http://klaydoe.imeem.com/video/e3nsu2RM/patience/

Only fi we get to see his baby and his kitchen!
Quote from AndroidXP :If you really have to ask these questions, then maybe Live for Speed is not the right game for you.

You do not mean me and my original question about the planned LFS development?

I'm not critisizing or questioning the way LFS is developed, I just asked what the development Path is. It's just a normal question.

For me LFS S1 was a good Sim already by itself, LFS S2 improved so much of S1 its like a whole second Product, so its like "LFS 2" for me.
Nobody bashed Geoff Crammond when he created GP2 as a follower of GP1, and LFS S2 is like the following Sim to LFS S1 to me so I have no problem here.

S2 Alpha Patch 0,5 V6 or whatever it is called were we are now, is already a more finished Sim with more content and features than alot of other "finished" Sims.
Quote from George Kuyumji :So, as far as I know, LFS S1 was released in July 2003. S2 Alpha was released in June 2005. At the moment we have LFS S2 Alpha Patch V6.

We progressed from Patch S2 Alpha Vers. 0,5 ? "W" some weeks before, so the letters give a little indication of the progress. I'm wondering will we have reached S2 beta when were at Patch Z? Or do the letters of the Patches stand for something else?

Do not turn this into a LFS Development is right/wrong discussion, I'm just asking to know how the development path looks like

good question , actually remember that after you run out of letters you can make some combos with numbers like "LFS S2 A1 ALPHA !!" after this you re free to start a new alphabet counting like "LFS S2 A1 A ALPHA" then "LFS S2 A1 B ALPHA"
Quote from George Kuyumji :You do not mean me and my original question about the planned LFS development?

Nope, I meant TypeRCivic
uh... this thread does have me a little curious about the development path (?)

I mean when S-3 does come out, will that be it? or will there be additional patches as required like what's going on right now?

What i'm asking is will S-3 be released as complete as can be or like S-3 alpha or beta or something?

not that it really matters, just curious
Quote from TypeRCivic ::wow: Do yah think so? GTR-2 is much better in may aspects but lets not get on that subject as it's been broughten up before and all hell breaks loose. Go back to your first sentence. Your correct about that but you never hear of the game until it's about to be released, Like FORZA MOTOR SPORTS 2 is a very good example but there again it's comparing a multi-million dollar corporation who have developed the game vs. Live For Speed's developer's and what staff they do have. Have the DEVES got anything to look fordward to? You tell me. Does anyone know what's going to be in the game later to come? Probally not. I'd like to know myself.

No offense meant to you man, but this post has no substance that leads to further discussion, not to mention it violates the original poster's request. You want it to come out faster, I really dont think your in danger of dieing before you see the finished product like you suggested, and theres simply nothing you can do personally to speed up the dev process so you (and all the rest of us) just need to accept it for what it is. You can make it as bad or as good a situation as you want it in your mind but it is what it is.
ah
#36 - joen
Quote from Racer Y :
I mean when S-3 does come out, will that be it? or will there be additional patches as required like what's going on right now?

After S3, LFS is considered to be finished, but I assume that when a serious issue comes up there will be fixes. But no further development as far as features are concerned. There's a possibility that LFS will be made moddable so that new content can be inserted into the sim by third party groups, but no decision has been made on that.

Quote :
What i'm asking is will S-3 be released as complete as can be or like S-3 alpha or beta or something?

After S2 development on S3 will start, meaning a series of S3 alpha versions, followed by one or a couple of beta versions, and a final after that.

The above is based solely on common belief and on what I have read about it, and none of it is a 100% certainty.
omg, last post from - 31st March 2007, 16:42
and they were talking about S3
5 years later, still no S3 ...
any development ? news ? progress ? reports ? anything ???
Quote from Scorpio :omg, last post from - 31st March 2007, 16:42
and they were talking about S3
5 years later, still no S3 ...
any development ? news ? progress ? reports ? anything ???

Development & progress - who knows. According to the progress reports yes, tyre physics and S3 content.
News & reports - see www.lfs.net.

And by the way: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=76519
i of course know lfs.net, and there is no news from Dec 28th, 2011 17:00
which i think is very wrong, there must be, at least every month, or every 4 months a report or some news
its like, there is no more enthusiasm, no ideea ...
who ever i ask, they all say LFS is dead, or they switched to iRacing
Flame CZE thanks again!
I could not agree with you more. It is just pathetic the way that LFS is working at the moment. Not the software itself. I absolutely love the sim. But so little is updated. The scirroco would be released at december 2008. I understand that there will be a new tire model and stuff. But we are almost 4 (FOUR) years further. How freaking long does that take?!

I understand that it takes a while to get everything flushed out. But not letting us know how things stand is just sad. At least let us know what the deal is. Just give us a global idea of how long things will take.

My patience is running thin guys. Every other sim is moving way faster and is catching up with LFS. I prefer netkarpro for actual online racing at the moment.

LFS brought me into sim racing. I love the sim. But it pains me to say that the way things are going, it is just a sad little outdated piece of software.
At least the community is improving - from creating new threads to bumping old ones. Keep it up guys!
-
(ShannonN) DELETED by ShannonN

Development Path of LFS
(41 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG