The online racing simulator
Development Path of LFS
(41 posts, started )
Development Path of LFS
So, as far as I know, LFS S1 was released in July 2003. S2 Alpha was released in June 2005. At the moment we have LFS S2 Alpha Patch V6.

We progressed from Patch S2 Alpha Vers. 0,5 ? "W" some weeks before, so the letters give a little indication of the progress. I'm wondering will we have reached S2 beta when were at Patch Z? Or do the letters of the Patches stand for something else?

Do not turn this into a LFS Development is right/wrong discussion, I'm just asking to know how the development path looks like
Just an easy way of identifying version. There's no "alphabet countdown to S2" as far as I know.

EDIT: What the hell I'm doing still awake?
Quote from George Kuyumji :will we have reached S2 beta when were at Patch Z?

Nope it doesn't have to....
They could release S2 Alpha 2.1
Trust me, we'll be waiting for new versions of LFS for many years to come. No need to stress.
#5 - JTbo
Patch V8, Patch V9 and so on until everything is added and works that were going to be in patch W and then patch VXX is becoming patch W that is again stable and not test patch, there is so many numbers that are needed to get it stable offical patch.

Amount of patches before beta depend from how well all features are getting into program, how much work test patches do and amount of threads that bring up questions like 'when will S2 final or S3 will come?' do have direct relation to how many versions are needed, every thread causes 10 new versions to be before moving on

There really is no information how many letters there will be and I honestly believe that situation lives a bit depending how much work was needed to make all patches, features are dropped and some perhaps added that are affecting to amount of test patches needed, but surely there are other factors that I could guess and be even right on some, but I don't like to talk from those too much, better if man himself likes to speak from them, he speaks but if not then not
I do get the impression that Scawen only has a couple more hurdles before S2 is considered finished. He's been cleaning up on the little things, which usually is a project closer. There aren't that many gaping holes left now, in terms of promised features for S2. Of course some of the holes remaining are fairly large: The AI for instance; and aero physics. So we're not going to see a final version just yet, but I do get the feeling that the last few months have brought us considerably closer to it.
Quote from Markz :All you need is patience. Hell, I'm trying to find enough patience to wait until I can get my damn license!

I'm pretty sure any long-time LFSer will tell you that to wait for a new LFS version you'll need patience..

lol waiting for a new version of Live For Speed to come out is the ultimate test of patience.

There's something odd about writing four sentences and ending three of them with the word "patience". No offense, but it does make you sound a little bit deranged!

Quote from Becky Rose :I do get the impression that Scawen only has a couple more hurdles before S2 is considered finished. He's been cleaning up on the little things, which usually is a project closer.

Nah, it's just that he's avoiding putting out an incompatible patch. We've had a few periods of "little thing" activity but they've all been followed (ultimately) by an incompatible patch (hurrah!), and then more "little things"... That just seems to be the way Scawen prefers to work.
Right now we are at version S2 0.6v8 Scawen generaly will change the last number with every little change(Compatable). He generaly will change the preceeding leter when all of the bugs are worked out with the latest added features so when all the bugs are worked out with the version S20.6vXX we will get a new base version of S2 0.6w.

Now when he releases the first version of the multiplayer patch it will likely be either 0.6w1 or 0.6x. I do not remember of if incriments the leter on a feature add. When the version goes final we will probaly be at verison 0.7.

Having been here for over 4 years I can agree with what everyone has said. Patience is a virtue you have to have in spades if you are a fan of this sim. The funny part is after 4 years of new things my favorite car is still the XRT.
#9 - JTbo
Also patience is what makes you winning in proper races
I don't care even if the patch Ö8 (the last one in proper alphabets) wouldn't be final S2 version. All I'm interested is that some of the (imho higher priority) things are done by then. Diffs must get fixed before S2 final. Imho, aero can wait until we get more cars that really need the fix (=prototypes). Cars and tracks are basically quite fine but there are some issues which should get fixed there too. Rewindable replays have been wanted for years. Suspensions and car settings might need a tweak, a fix and new feature or two. That's the essentials for me.

False starts would be the ultimate gift as more aggressive engine damage. The damage modelling needs some fixing but nothing major. 20 cars is still enough imho. Sadle I'm afraid that this would require too much modifications to the net code so it may need to wait until the net code gets a rebuild for more slots and better packet handling etc...

That being said I would see no harm if the development continued like this after S2 final. An incompatible patch every year and small steps towards S3 instead of (few) years of waiting...
I hate(love) your sig hyperactive!

I had to get it out!
In the test patch forum scawen mentioned he was going to try and up the racer and spector limits on servers for the Next Multiplayer incompatable. False starts are also on the may-be list if I remember correctly.

OT:
The things I am looking for before S2 Final are:

Propper Diffs
Propper Transmission/Clutch
More Fully Developed Damage
More Optimised & Brand Difference Tires
Aero Fixes (Undertray aftected by closeness to ground and relitive attitude)
Final LX and UFR Models
Final GTR Interiors
Class Ballance (I still maintain weight/power ratio and tire size and shape need to be equal)
AI
Flags & Penalties
Turning off Road Surface Smoothing (kill the splines and let us drive on a not glass smooth surface)
I bet you Scawen could make alot of money by putting a live webcam on his computer which people could subscribe to in order to watch him program.

In the meantime, for instruction in the art of patience refer to this video.
http://klaydoe.imeem.com/video/e3nsu2RM/patience/
Quote from KurtG85 :I bet you Scawen could make alot of money by putting a live webcam on his computer which people could subscribe to in order to watch him program.

haha, i guess about the same that the devs got from lfs!!
Users on demo- 350
Users on S2- 35
Users on Scawens Private 24hr program cam (currently sleeping) - 2300
Quote from Lautsprecher[NOR] :Trust me, we'll be waiting for new versions of LFS for many years to come. No need to stress.

No need to stress......you say that like you have all the time in the world to wait for a newer versions or even S3. Well I dont know about the rest of you guys but why waste the time in waiting for something thats in it's BETA version and when they do in fact decide to release s3 will it be up to standards? Honestly it takes 2 years or so to complete a version or what not and to think s2 is no where near complication what does that tell you for s3? When I look at the Suggestion thread and see a good or shall I say excellent ideal does it come into effect? It's been said before why are we paying so much for something thats in it's beta version and we get nothing but unlocks for futher " BETA " unlocks. I love the game alot but lets come to reality people....... I dont feel like waiting years for final versions and I know what people are going to tell me, " Dont wait then" and the sad thing is I want to play a cool version of lfs before I die. If I were the owners or what ever I'd put LFS up for sale and have some other "Company" finish the game and what not. I do beleive this is one of a kind game, nothing else like it. I'd like to see this game blow up in sales and advertisement but in the end it's probally rough trying to stay on top of shit and meet dead lines and fix bugs and glitches. I'm sure alot of people would dispute this theroy but why get your self worked up over nothing. Well thats my theroy about all of this "When the next beta version will be out" problem. I've never ment to affend anyone what so ever. Please no need for the negative comments.
#17 - Gunn
Quote from TypeRCivic :Honestly it takes 2 years or so to complete a version or what not and to think s2 is no where near complication what does that tell you for s3?

It doesn't tell us anything at all about S3. LFS isn't divided into three equal sections of development. Different things have been developed throughout the whole evolution of LFS. Even Scawen couldn't tell you how long it will take.
There are many games that have been in development limbo for years and years and years. The only difference is you dont get to try them out before they are released as a finished product. So, like you suggested, here is the solution: stop playing LFS until it is finalized. Then judge it then and see if it stacks up to the competition. Maybe it wont, maybe it will blow them away. Who knows? At the moment it is better than the competition in the areas I value so thats probably why people play it.
You know this reminds me so much of my kids asking when dinner is ready, when its done and theres sweet f.a that will change that.

Its ready when its ready and thats about that, this endless speculation gets kind of dull.I would love to see new stuff in the sim i really would and we will get it when we get it
I love the way lfs is being developed and I appreciate that I bought a product that is getting better and better for free…

Any other large company would have stopped the evolution now considering it is finished… Just to make you buy the new version of the game…
Quote from KurtG85 :There are many games that have been in development limbo for years and years and years. The only difference is you dont get to try them out before they are released as a finished product. So, like you suggested, here is the solution: stop playing LFS until it is finalized. Then judge it then and see if it stacks up to the competition. Maybe it wont, maybe it will blow them away. Who knows? At the moment it is better than the competition in the areas I value so thats probably why people play it.

:wow: Do yah think so? GTR-2 is much better in may aspects but lets not get on that subject as it's been broughten up before and all hell breaks loose. Go back to your first sentence. Your correct about that but you never hear of the game until it's about to be released, Like FORZA MOTOR SPORTS 2 is a very good example but there again it's comparing a multi-million dollar corporation who have developed the game vs. Live For Speed's developer's and what staff they do have. Have the DEVES got anything to look fordward to? You tell me. Does anyone know what's going to be in the game later to come? Probally not. I'd like to know myself.
If you really have to ask these questions, then maybe Live for Speed is not the right game for you.
I really think that in the end it all comes down to the way you look at the game. I like LFS the way it is now... I enjoy playing LFS more than other simulator I tried... So is it hard for me to wait for the new things to come? Obviously not.
Besides, the way LFS is developed is different than any other game. You either understand this or not, because I don´t really think it will change. And test patches are a good example of this... Scawen releases a test patch and there are 5 racers among the thousands that play LFS that have a problem with it: their problem gets looked at and most times solved in the same day or the day after. In what game do you have this kind of approach towards the people that buy the game? None! In other games you buy it, you play it and if you have problems with it you can only "hope" that it will get fixed someday... So you have to decide you either live with the problem or stop playing. Simple as that!
Meh I'm not bothered by the waiting, we've still got a damn good game, with great multiplayer racing. Instead of waiting I just go race :/
Quote from fragile_dog :Meh I'm not bothered by the waiting, we've still got a damn good game, with great multiplayer racing. Instead of waiting I just go race :/

My thoughts exactly. I don't care if we never get S3. I've already got the best driving game I've ever played so I'm happy anyway.

Development Path of LFS
(41 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG