The online racing simulator
Training the AI
(78 posts, started )
giving the AI slippery settings help alot with throttle controll too, and when they stop sliding the car on a setup such as this just give them a better setup and they keep improving.I love my AI its faster than me :\, on a few tracks.
Took Vain's advice and ran 8 FOXs with 4 XFRs. The XFRs were quick down the straights but the FOXs were much quicker in the corners. This forced them to pass mid corner and they do seem to have learned.

I did two 25 lap races and each time the order was pretty much an even mix of FOXs and XFRs even thought the FOXs were over a second a lap quicker.

One of my FOX AIs did a 1:10.8 last night.

I will get them to run with a car slightly slower than them on the straight next so they learn to pass and not just sit behind as they often do at the moment. I tried the XFR with full fuel and low gearing but they were still too fast in a straight line. Maybe the XRT is the one.

GF
one way you could do it is by putting every single car there is on track and 1 turtle for the uf1 to overtake ... then youll train your ais in just about every situation there could be
Yeah - I plan to mix it up a bit. Shame there's not enough AIs for one of each car - oh, and the turtle

Shouldn't it be tortoise?
Maybe I'm imagining it but the AI seem to treat the player car differently to another AI car. It seems they'll usually give room to other AI, but aren't so bothered about doing it for a player car until they've hit you a few times. It might be worth running in a few of those training races yourself just to get them used to you.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Maybe I'm imagining it but the AI seem to treat the player car differently to another AI car. It seems they'll usually give room to other AI, but aren't so bothered about doing it for a player car until they've hit you a few times. It might be worth running in a few of those training races yourself just to get them used to you.

Funnily enough I thought that might be the case. I did run with them a couple of times and tried to stand my ground and let them hit me. They don't seem to have changed their behaviour that much yet though. I'll stick at it.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Maybe I'm imagining it but the AI seem to treat the player car differently to another AI car. It seems they'll usually give room to other AI, but aren't so bothered about doing it for a player car until they've hit you a few times. It might be worth running in a few of those training races yourself just to get them used to you.

ive decided against driving with the ai during the learning phase ... they have a habit of adopting weird lines from watching me or something like that
I don't think you are right, as far as I know there is nothing in the ai race coding that allows them to register the line you take when driving. Sadly, they just don't care about you.
i could of course have been imagining it but iirc every single time ive been close to an ai its done something incredibly stupid the following race
#36 - Vain
Quote from Shotglass :i could of course have been imagining it but iirc every single time ive been close to an ai its done something incredibly stupid the following race

Well, that's because they do something incredibly stupid every race!

Vain
guess its a lot of work to implement a 'perfect' AI.
fast drivers often hav hundreds or even thousands of laps on a track and they r no stupid computers

for making a genetic algorithm improve fast u need lots of individuals (cars) and evolutional steps (laps) and of course a tricky mixing of genes to hand down just the 'racing' qualities. but still i guess it'd take a bigger amount of laps as a good racer'd need to get quick on a track.

anyway..it'd be nice if there was an interface to make a race-bot program.
I thought they forgot everything when you gave them a different setup?
#39 - wien
Quote from Shotglass :i could of course have been imagining it but iirc every single time ive been close to an ai its done something incredibly stupid the following race

I could be wrong, but I think that has to do with the AI swerving to avoid you but still improving its lap time. If that happens, it'll try to replicate the move it did because "it was faster".
GPL had (has) a lot of editable parameters for the ai with each driver having his own characteristics, agression, skill, etc. in a number of different situations. Added to this the cars were all different abilities, handling and reliability which all together led to some far more entertaining ai battles.
It seems with LFS that each one is identical but a little bit (1 or 2%) slower than the one in front, so if they don't make silly errors they just string themselves out in a long line and there are no real battles.
that is unless you mix up the cqar marquest a bit, but then there are seldom close enough marquest to give a good battle.
I'd like to see each ai have its own parameters, 'personality' and attributes so the faster ones had to balance out greater risk and tyre wear as well as mechanical erosion.
Hmm i usually race my AI on SO town course in the XFR. Very fun, but they really suck lol. I might let them drive away for a couple of hours today and get a real challenge lol
Note down the fastest current laptime after a 10 lap race.
Then let them run 4 or 5 consecutive ten-lap races and see how much they improve.
I race AI a lot, and I find that after 50 or so laps, the AI end up driving off course for no reason. My AI cannot do XRT @ BL1 because of this.

Why? They do perfect laps until then.
Quote from VTiRoj :I race AI a lot, and I find that after 50 or so laps, the AI end up driving off course for no reason. My AI cannot do XRT @ BL1 because of this.

I've run several 60 lappers round BLGP for the FOXs and haven't had this problem.
Quote from VTiRoj :I race AI a lot, and I find that after 50 or so laps, the AI end up driving off course for no reason. My AI cannot do XRT @ BL1 because of this.

Perhaps they're suffering with tyre overheating and going off because they don't have as much grip as they expect? The AI currently aren't aware of tyre condition.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Perhaps they're suffering with tyre overheating and going off because they don't have as much grip as they expect? The AI currently aren't aware of tyre condition.

Possibly, but it usually occurs after the first hairpin on cold tyres and the 2nd to last corner before the bridge on warmer tyres they shoot off into the sand.
#47 - Vain
I believe it has to do with the checkpoints for speed-measuring.
Imagin a corner where right after the apex the AI checks how quick it was in the last couple of corners. Each time the AI gets a too high corner-entry speed it scores a better time than it would when driving sensibly.
It writes down "I was quicker when instead of braking I just powered into the 90° bend!" and repeats that in the next lap because it looks like a good idea to go faster. Of course it is very unhappy that in the next corner it's times went down a lot from the crashing, but there is no mechanism to connect the two experiences.
Basically, there are some combination the AI just fails at. You can make the AI a set to avoid such things, but it'll never work well.

Vain
Quote from Vain :Well, that's because they do something incredibly stupid every race!

i dont mean their usual kev stupid though ... i mean james stupid
How can I put the AIs in boxes or spectate on multiplayer????
Quote from Shotglass :i dont mean their usual kev stupid though ... i mean james stupid

I do love a good back-handed compliment. :clapclap:

To be fair I do drive like an AI most of the time.

Training the AI
(78 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG