The online racing simulator
TEST Patch V5 (compatible with V)
(204 posts, closed, started )
Is it maybe caused of overheating? Did u overclock your computer? Even if it is new it does not mean everything is fine. I had a new computer and the Memory was broken and cause of this my LFS always freezed. So first check everything on your computer
Quote from Riders Motion :My pc is 6 years old and I run everything to the best

Tip is to get a good card

I know, but there are still alot of players out there with much older PC's, or laptops with on-board graphics...

Quote from BarretOocR :Game Freezing
Just not to bore the Admin I’m saying there is some problem in the V1, V2, V3, V4, V5, patches ever since it was released my game will freeze up to 0 Frames, Still game. I know of someone who else has experienced it at the same time as me is it your servers cause it cannot be my computer its Brand New Dual processor 64 bit media Windows .It’s really hard to get info on the Freeze ups but I think there are more out there experiencing this .

Barret, could you explain the freezing a bit more? Does it completely lock up, sound and all? Is it in multiplayer only? Does it happen periodically? Does it happen in other games?
i have reported the freezing issue earlier too.
and btw, no i dont have background apps running that werent always running, no messenger messages incoming too (and ive never had that problem in the past 2 years).
temps are fine, disks are clean, drivers are up to date.
and its videolag only.
sound keeps going as if nothing happend.
eventually it will unfreeze after 5-20 seconds (yea, it can be big sometimes).
Quote from Tweaker :This is for logging of messages right?

Besides that, the command doesn't work for me, and no file is ever created. Need this clarified, since this is important for when I am a server admin.

The command only works for me in Singleplayer, I can no longer log Multiplayer events. And I have to type the command in each time I start LFS (that can't be good)... why not overwrite the same log file like you did with deb.log, or just have a log folder with dated logs?

Well that's the first I've heard of it not working. Of course it's not supposed to be worse than the old logging method or take any function away - it's supposed to add the function that Sam mentioned so that multiple hosts in one folder can have their own log. And you are supposed to be able to specify your log file in the startup command line or text file or autoexec.lfs file.

Quote from Plastik8 :Scawen, Allthough I always have VSYNC turned on by default for every game in my video card driver settings, VSYNC can have a negative effect on older machines.....

Please have a quick read: http://www.ocworkbench.com/2006/articles/DXtweaker/

Basically, if the machine can't produce 60fps, the frame rate sometimes caps to 30fps..... (without "triple buffering")...

Thanks for the link. In fact, when you turn on VSYNC in LFS, triple buffering is enabled as well, so capping to 30 fps shouldn't happen. I guess it shouldn't do too much harm other than using more memory. But thanks for the alert, I'd better do more research on any possible negative effects...

For a start, does anyone here get any problems when they turn on "Full screen vertical sync" in LFS? Other than an apparent reduction in frame rate - that really doesn't matter if it is capped to your screen's refresh rate, because any more frames than that are wasted (not seen) anyway.
Anyone who has freezing, you must give more info, like how long have you been running LFS before the freeze, and if there are any possible overheating issues (have you recently air dusted your computer and video card? If not, do...) and please state if "Full screen vertical sync" option YES cures the freezing. As already stated on this thread, it can give LFS and your screen a moment to relax between frames. We are going to have more freezing and lockups now as we are going into summer. It's very unlikely to be LFS's fault in each case.
even on a decent pc (athlon 3500, 6800gs, 1gb) I find vsync causes me big issues - large grid start at south city or the like and everything goes jerky.

edit: this is not a test patch issue, it has always been the case.
Quote from Scawen :Anyone who has freezing, you must give more info

I'll drop this into the mix, in case it helps anyone.. I noticed graphic lag with patch V2 upwards, very occasionally. I noticed that FRAPS, which I run constantly, didn't reflect the graphic lag that I was experiencing. i.e. the framerate would drop to something like 18fps for a few seconds, but the FRAPS overlay still showed 85fps (my vsync is 85Hz). I also recently upgraded to Office2007, and I narrowed it down to Outlook's automatic Send/Receive. When I closed Outlook, no more graphic lag.

The graphic lag did NOT happen every time Outlook Sent/Received, but every time the graphic lag happened, that's what Outlook was doing.

[edit] Machine info: AMD64 3000+, 1GB RAM, XFX 6600GT 128MB
Quote from Scawen :For a start, does anyone here get any problems when they turn on "Full screen vertical sync" in LFS? Other than an apparent reduction in frame rate - that really doesn't matter if it is capped to your screen's refresh rate, because any more frames than that are wasted (not seen) anyway.

Didn't do any extensive tests, but I noticed that with VSync ON I got little stutters every few seconds when driving around South City (in singleplayer mode). They went away as soon as I disabled VSync again.

Specs: A64 3200+, 1GB RAM, 6600GT
I experienced freezing only with V5. Vsync is not enabled because the game animation becomes jerky.
LFS froze my computer 2 times, both on the skid park, while watching the car with cam-behind-car, just as I hitted shift+S to go to pits, my PC froze. It was like that in the 2 times, with the BF1 and the XG GTR.

I'll try to test some more and give more input later

PS: no dusting problems or overheating.. tried to make LFS hang again, by repeating the procedure above, without success..
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :
i have reported the freezing issue earlier too.
and its videolag only.
sound keeps going as if nothing happend.
eventually it will unfreeze after 5-20 seconds (yea, it can be big sometimes).

Similar things happening here since patch v4/5

When racing / testing online or offline LFS will lock up after 5-30min, sound loops the last 1-2 secs over and over, then after 15-30 secs it can unfreeze itself and I can carry on racing, although my car is not in the same position it was when the gfx / sound froze - it's further along the track stopped / pranged against a wall as though LFS was running as normal in the background but the gfx / sound weren't updating themselves. On a few occasions the sound has carried on playing as normal ( I can hear other cars passing / braking around me ) but I can't bring up Windows task manager, the screen refuses to update itself and I need to reset the pc.

This is with Vsync turned on ( tried with it off, same problems ) and fps limited to 85 ( my monitors refresh rate@1600x1200 )

Pc spec :

A64 X2 4200
Gainward 7900GS ( no AA or AF ) Forceware 91.47
2x1GB Pc3200
X-Fi XtremeMusic
Logitech DFP
WinXP

Tested this with the above spec at stock settings, and overclocked. Pc was definately not overheating when LFS locked up, and I'm running nothing like MSN / Messenger in the background, just the usual WinXP services and Blueyonders' PCGuard software ( firewall )
What's the general consensus on FPS? Have they gone up or dropped? By how much?
I really want to try this but i'm afraid of a drop in FPS, i only get about 20-30 atm as it is.
Stayed the same for me, no increase or decrease in performance.
I also didn't have a drop in fps. But I do kinda notice that the FPS is more stable. The huge peaks and drops are gone now.
I also notice such freezes, but not often and only for 1-2 seconds. The "physics" seem to go their normal way, so when it unfreezes the car has driven without driver I'm not sure, but it seems as even with full throttle applied on controler, the game not notices it
I've put VSinc on via Forceware (+tripple buffer +4xAA + 16xFA + SS + no negative LOD Bias)

VSync may lowers FPS, but as mentioned it makes the GPU less to do, becouse frames that must be skipped after half calculation without VSync are never started to be calculatet...

EDIT: btw text on transparent surfaces are flickering with transparent-AA (only Supersampling) turned on (I know LFS is not desinged for yet, but maybe its easy to something there)
I was fiddling with the graphics settings and I've just noticed something:

When LFS is in windowed mode using Shift+F4, I have a huge FPS drop when I hover one of the icons in the task bar as long as the little popup showing the full name of the application is displayed.
Vsync is set to OFF in both video drivers and LFS.
Quote from birder :Getting

InSim : discarding unacknowledged packet (100)
InSim : discarding unacknowledged packet (101)
InSim : discarding unacknowledged packet (102)

When using LFSStats since V5

The LFS Stats programmer will need to update LFS Stats to respond to the new packets.
Quote from Lotesdelere :I was fiddling with the graphics settings and I've just noticed something:

When LFS is in windowed mode using Shift+F4, I have a huge FPS drop when I hover one of the icons in the task bar as long as the little popup showing the full name of the application is displayed.

That's just some weird Windows bug, it takes nearly all your CPU power to display one of those tiny hovering info baloons.
Quote from Scawen :The LFS Stats programmer will need to update LFS Stats to respond to the new packets.

Does this actually stop stats from working or is it just dropping the packets it doesn't recognize (ie the new ones)?
I think the stats should work fine (as long as it was coded in a way that happens to accept the shorter car names in the slightly modified versions of two of the old InSim packets). This message is just a warning that some totally new InSim packets that LFS kept trying to send several times, but never received an acknowledgment for, are now being thrown away. It's an easy fix for the LFS stats developer to acknowledge (and ignore) the new packets. But maybe he will want to make use of them in the stats.
Quote from MoodyB :

Similar things happening here since patch v4/5

This is with Vsync turned on ( tried with it off, same problems ) and fps limited to 85 ( my monitors refresh rate@1600x1200 )

..snip..

Just tested again with VSync off / fps limited to 50, and I've been able to race with no problems for the last 2-3 hrs.
Quote from flinty72 :Does this actually stop stats from working or is it just dropping the packets it doesn't recognize (ie the new ones)?

LFSStats still works fine you just get the messages, i will contact the developer
Quote from Scawen :That's just some weird Windows bug, it takes nearly all your CPU power to display one of those tiny hovering info baloons.

I don't know about balloons, but if I move the cursor (in windowed mode) anywhere outside LFS window -> major FPS drop. I've always considered it as a "feature, not a bug". Instead I use ALT+TAB or minimize LFS.

Edit: Sorry. I didn't double-check this time - the FPS drop happens only with balloons.
Quote from Scawen :That's just some weird Windows bug, it takes nearly all your CPU power to display one of those tiny hovering info baloons.

However I don't get this FPS drop in other DirectX apps such as games, media players and DVB viewers, when the info baloons are displayed.
But whilst I don't get FPS drop at all in Windows Media Player and VLC, I do get FPS drop in Media Player Classic while watching at the same video. MPC is set to use WMR9 Renderless so I wonder if FPS drop in LFS might be an overlay problem.
CPU usage increase is 'only' about 3% when the baloons are displayed.
Quote from MoodyB :Similar things happening here since patch v4/5

When racing / testing online or offline LFS will lock up after 5-30min, sound loops the last 1-2 secs over and over, then after 15-30 secs it can unfreeze itself and I can carry on racing, although my car is not in the same position it was when the gfx / sound froze - it's further along the track stopped / pranged against a wall as though LFS was running as normal in the background but the gfx / sound weren't updating themselves. On a few occasions the sound has carried on playing as normal ( I can hear other cars passing / braking around me ) but I can't bring up Windows task manager, the screen refuses to update itself and I need to reset the pc.

Pc spec :

A64 X2 4200
Gainward 7900GS ( no AA or AF ) Forceware 91.47
2x1GB Pc3200
X-Fi XtremeMusic
Logitech DFP
WinXP

Tested this with the above spec at stock settings, and overclocked. Pc was definately not overheating when LFS locked up, and I'm running nothing like MSN / Messenger in the background, just the usual WinXP services and Blueyonders' PCGuard software ( firewall )

After reading yours and some other peoples replies i have noticed you and probably the others too have got a AMD dual processor. Maybe there is the problem but i may be wrong. Im curious if you guys have done any of the steps explained here in order to install the processor properly. In case you follow those steps, please let me know if theres any difference after it. I already did everything and im not having any problems at all with the newest patches. But as already said, it could be the reason but i might be wrong.

Good luck & cheers
Lod > 1
I'm running LFS on 3 Monitors - 3840x1024.
Seems that LOD is now (V5) lower than before (V2) - if I switch to 1280x1024 it looks better (tested on BL1r) ...
I have set all LOD to max - but there is still popups and trees changing size and form as I get nearer

Any way to increase LOD more than actual max values?

according to your posted formula I would need a LOD of 1.2:
0.6 (my old LOD) * 3840 / 1920 = 1.2
This thread is closed

TEST Patch V5 (compatible with V)
(204 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG