The online racing simulator
TEST Patch V5 (compatible with V)
(204 posts, closed, started )
hello,

i upgraded from V3 to V5

i was playing on AS6 with the gti, about 20 min and i get a black screen, can't exit the game and can't go back on windows anymore, the only thing who worked was to restart my computer.

i nerver noticed this bug on the previous patch, even v2 and v3.

i'm on windows xp sp2 with a p4 3.2Ghz, no virus and no spyware.
Quote from GP4Flo :No, I've used the default boost values for testing. Didn't know that they are supposed to be too loud by default.

Yes... and I'd just like to explain more clearly what I mean by "too loud".

Zero boost : it should be close to realistic relative sound volume

Default value 0.5 boost : should be better for sim racing

P.S. I have a note here to look at the TV camera and SHIFT+U mode, to consider removing boost from those views. As the boost is really for driving, a small compensation for the lack of forces acting on your body.

Quote from 510N3D :As for the newest patch V5, i dont see any reason to for this: "Wind and skid volumes are 33% louder for all settings", because people have got a slider to adjust that. Since i basicly run the oval this sound is really far to loud for me, even if all my sliders except for the "car sound volume" are set to zero So i wish you could find a different way for this and for the rest of the patch, i do like the other improvements as usual

If you want extra quiet wind volumes for oval use (where I think in real life the wind sound must be quite loud) then you can adjust it per car with the SHIFT+A editor.
Quote from Scawen :Which buttons?

Mouse buttons, editor buttons, wheel buttons, none of them put me in first gear, I can't see to reproduce this. It seems the same in shift+A mode as any other mode.

Ok, ignore the whole thing. The mouse button had somehow mapped to 1st gear....sorry
Quote from Jakg :S1 servers seem to override filters - i have my filter set to NOT show full servers, yet it shows all of the (one!) full S1 servers, and after repeated refreshing it keeps coming up even though it's full

It's not to do with S1, it's in fact because of the reserved admin slot. So in one sense it's not really full. I see that is a bit confusing, so I've made a non-urgent note to consider that.
#80 - Jakg
Ah, right, i assumed it was S1 as it's the only S1 server, and the only server that did it - thanks though Scawen!
#81 - JTbo
I get that wind volume is too low at high speeds and too much at low speeds when I have maxed it out, at 200kph+ wind should be almost only thing one can hear in road cars, but at 100kph it can be heard road noises are more, engine noise somewhat par with wind noise and at 50kph you really cant hear wind but road noises and engine that is easily heard.

Increment might be better as progressive instead of linear.

Then again, what is that you want?
Game that sounds good and has also wind noise element etc., or game that sounds like real world where people whine about high speed wind noise being too loud as they cant hear their engines too well, I believe this might come a problem with game. We come to same as with gear whine, you can't make it to level that is real because ears would start to bleed.

Wind noise seem to have also too much low frequencies compared to irl, but I guess that is outside scope of this subject at the moment.

BTW, my V4 did shut down yesterday without any notice, it just did go away, started again and no problems. I think that after V that has happened once before this. In both times there was race end and about second later puff and it disappeared. Only one racer joined and running S2 host. I have no idea how to reproduce, but I guess this could happen in V5 too, any tips what I could do to get even some helpful info?
Quote from csurdongulos :could this have caused disconnects in V4? I got disconnected from our server every time after about 5-10 minutes. I changed then back to V2 and I wasn't DC-d anymore.

No, it's just an InSim packet I had implemented wrongly in V4, it wouldn't affect anything like that. I guess your disconnects were just coincidental with when you were using V4. Maybe it will be ok when you use V5.

Quote from Widdowmaker :Will try that..... thanks

I was a bit surprised to see the octagonal wheels - I'm interested to know what your settings were. The new version set LOD to 0.6 but that is still higher than the maximum in old versions. But you said you already turned it up to maximum... or had you previously set it to maximum but didn't do it again with V5? Also what Tweak mentioned - could it have been dynamic LOD? That option means that if there are a lot of cars in your view, LOD is reduced significantly. And what FOV do you use?
im not sure if anybody said it yet, but with V3 (i am still right here i hope?) i do have random video lags, what means my whole pc does seem to freeze but does unfreeze after a few seconds.
heard it from other persons too.
mal/spyware clean, no hard or software has changed.
#84 - JTbo
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :im not sure if anybody said it yet, but with V3 (i am still right here i hope?) i do have random video lags, what means my whole pc does seem to freeze but does unfreeze after a few seconds.

Mine does that if I have Miranda IM IRC window open while running LFS and when someone writes something at irc it causes small pause, even there is no sound played and task is very minimal for CPU, it does not even popup just flashes task bar icon, yet still it makes small pause, also sound stops then for same amount of time.
But I don't believe that this my hiccup is something that requires any actions from LFS side, more like that I should close that window before racing, even these new versions might be bit more sensitive.
BUG well am 50% sure its a bug i went on a server what is hosting a server with patch v5 and my pc crashed like i count press ctrl and alt and delete to escape and shut down lfs so i had to press restart of my tower.
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :im not sure if anybody said it yet, but with V3 (i am still right here i hope?) i do have random video lags, what means my whole pc does seem to freeze but does unfreeze after a few seconds.

Yes, as JTbo says, if anything else is running in the background that is probably the cause.

Other than that, I think it would be best to turn on Full Screen VSYNC and this will help not overload your computer, and stops things tripping over themselves.

This is another option I think I should turn on by default. Nowadays with LCD monitors, the true frame rate is never more than 60 Hz, and full screen vsync means that LFS will render at that same frame rate and there will be no "tearing" of the picture, and no total wastage of drawing frames that will never be seen, and also a little CPU saving so LFS can deal with other things like the internet connection, and your computer has time to update other services as well, in between frames.

Basically full screen vsync has a lot of advantages now. I have just set it to be on by default in my version.
Quote from Scawen :Yes, as JTbo says, if anything else is running in the background that is probably the cause.

Other than that, I think it would be best to turn on Full Screen VSYNC and this will help not overload your computer, and stops things tripping over themselves.

This is another option I think I should turn on by default. Nowadays with LCD monitors, the true frame rate is never more than 60 Hz, and full screen vsync means that LFS will render at that same frame rate and there will be no "tearing" of the picture, and no total wastage of drawing frames that will never be seen, and also a little CPU saving so LFS can deal with other things like the internet connection, abnd your computer has time to update other services as well, in between frames.

Basically full screen vsync has a lot of advantages now. I have just set it to be on by default in my version.

the only thing running in my back ground is north anti stuff 2007. and i have a medion flat screen.
#88 - Jakg
A. Scawen wasn't talking to you
B. Are you sure your PC wasn't overheating etc?
I think Scawen was replying to [RCG]Boosted, faster.

Check if your AV is blocking LFS, it happens to me that it detects a modified exe and the pop up asking for permission remains behind LFS, so it *looks* like the computer crashed.
Quote from Jakg :A. Scawen wasn't talking to you
B. Are you sure your PC wasn't overheating etc?

i just noticed he was not talking to me

2. it is not over heating and it only happens on lfs once or twice.
#91 - JTbo
Actually I have vsync on and fps limit at 62fps that results actual 60fps too, I don't think LFS never uses more than 60% of my cpu, still it makes those pauses if IRC window is open so need to make sure all such programs are off.
Quote from BurnOut69 :I think Scawen was replying to [RCG]Boosted, faster.

Check if your AV is blocking LFS, it happens to me that it detects a modified exe and the pop up asking for permission remains behind LFS, so it *looks* like the computer crashed.

Nothing is blocking lfs.
Quote from Scawen :
If you want extra quiet wind volumes for oval use (where I think in real life the wind sound must be quite loud) then you can adjust it per car with the SHIFT+A editor.

Yeah, i already set those sliders to a minimum as well, that was the first thing i have checked Speaking about it i think there would be a solution for me but i dont have the technical backround informations or simple the reason why its not possible to reduce those sliders to 0.0 instead of 0.5. Maybe something like 0.2 would be perfect for me. (Besides, i agree that in real life it would be quite loud, but in that case i could use some ear protection like ear muffs to reduce those sounds )

Sorry if this sounds like im moaning and i do not demand anything at all but/and i think i can imagine how difficult it can be to make it right for every single person especially for something like the sound system which will be tested at on or a few more pc's with perfect and pretty much the same results but it can sounds totally different at another system and its configuration. A good example are the engine presets, most people come along with the new standard engine sound settings, they fits not only perfect to the personalized windows & game volume settings but also to the output systems such as headphones. For people like me, who are probably in the minority, i doesn't fit at all, so we have to adjust, if we like it or not. Btw, i have set the volume in windows to 50% which gives me the best result at almost every app & game.

Cheers
faster111 : please let us know if it happens again, it could have been a one-off, something to do with your OS or hardware, specially if you had used the computer for a while before running LFS. It could just be a concidence that happened after you installed V5, but we'll see...
Its happened again on the same server but this time it loops the sound?
Quote from faster111 :Its happened again on the same server but this time it loops the sound?

You could have faulty hardware. I had similiar things happen when my GPU was faulty. I could play light games a long time before it crashed and graphically heavy games crashed the computer almost instantly. Now that LFS is a bit more graphically intense it could just take it over the limit and make your computer crash.
Try if the same thing happens on a different games too. More graphically intense is better, because it will make it happen sooner and more certainly.
Well i got everything in my pc upgraded to new but i did notice that warrock has a memeroy leak bug where it crashes and the sound loops like it did on the 2nd crash of lfs could there be a match could lfs have the memeroy leak bug to?
It's not clear to me :

Is this when you first click to join the host, or is it after you have already joined and you can see people racing or are racing yourself?
Quote from Scawen :It's not clear to me :

Is this when you first click to join the host, or is it after you have already joined and you can see people racing or are racing yourself?

ok its during racing and it don't matter how many race it still happens.
Do you have an LCD monitor?

Could you try going into Misc Options and set "Full screen vertical sync" to YES.

This can improve graphics and also gives the graphics card and computer a moment to relax between frames.
This thread is closed

TEST Patch V5 (compatible with V)
(204 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG