The online racing simulator
is there any Track-Editers?
(43 posts, started )
Quote from TagForce :So how come they are not readily available?

Because then people would be able to convert them to other games, which is something eric doesnt want.

Blackwood isnt a problem though, erics already said he doesnt mind anyone using BW in other games, as its freely available in the demo anyway..

There are 3dmax versions of the S1 tracks out there though, you just have to know the right people to get your hands on them.
Quote :
Because then people would be able to convert them to other games, which is something eric doesnt want.

Oh my... I forgot about that completely... You're right...

Quote :
There are 3dmax versions of the S1 tracks out there though, you just have to know the right people to get your hands on them.

I'm not going to ask, I don't need them
Quote from vagos21 :If you read the SMX format from the programmers link, there is no info about uv mapping or texture assignment. which means that the renders i showed here is the only thing that can be done.

If scawen would add the uv mapping/texures assignment to the smx files, it would make the whole process a lot easier. Its the main reason i havent used these files so far, its just too much work to get it how its supposed to be.
Attached images
autox.jpg
Smx to 3ds/3d max is no problem, its the converting back into lfs which the devs really do not want at this point in time. Nothing stopping you from doing it for your personal pleasure though.

Releasing a program that imports cars/tracks into lfs, wouldnt be allowed here. (Feel free to pm me a copy, once you're done though. ;P )

I would like to see an smx converter, but only if the uv/texture coords are already in there, otherwise there isnt much point really, too much work.
Convert LFS tracks to other games. Like putting south city into Rfactor/Gtr ect.

As mentioned though, eric has no problems with someone converting blackwood to other games. Fonnybone did a netkar conversion of blackwood a while ago, iirc.
feel free to make blackwood and mimic all demo content for rfactor or racer or netkar or whatever platform you want. there was even a rallyx autocross for gpl/n2003. i would love to see a full demo mod of lfs for rf. that would end a lotta bullshit...
btw im sorry i hinted anything simply coz i didnt know license only tracks are offered as cmx in the http://www.liveforspeed.net/fi ... .php?name=SMX_PTH_S2P.zip file. makes little sense to me to have that available for unlicensed public but hey i dont do the rules. feel free to blast them away then...
Quote from vagos21 :so it means i can make my own track and import it to LFS (if its finally possible) and that would be no problem because i'm not exporting tracks from LFS right?

Not really, no.

The devs do not want any additional content adding to LFS at this point, this includes self made cars/tracks.

They will not allow such a mod to be posted on these forums.

But, as the devs have said, they cannot stop you from doing it, and releasing it on your own website.
Quote from nikimere :I dont know about that sinbad, they dont seem to mind LFS Tweak which manipulates the cars characteristics.
But saying that, i dont condone any LFS 'hacks' either.... your autocross idea is probably the best solution for the moment.

LFS tweak doesn't alter the model (shape) of the cars.

Quote from LFS Forum Agreement :
4) Any "mods" - modifications to the Live for Speed exe, must be discussed with a moderator before being released on the forum. If a mod is approved by a moderator, it may then be released in the appropriate section of the forum. Please do not contact a developer as we do not support mods and do not have the time to deal with them. Any mods which change the shape of a car model, or which allow online cheating or circumvent HLVC, will be rejected.

Maybe I imagined the same being said about the tracks though.
Quote from vagos21 :First, the smx format is out for free on the official LFS page, which probably means they don't mind if people use it for any kind of conversions?

technically yes.. but technically (and by all means) no..
anyone can download S2 and all the S2 content will be in it, but thats different, you can download the full version of LFS, but that doesnt mean you own it
so no, you cant publicly release anything that is private

and as for making your own tracks and importing into LFS, unless your a coder and can make LFS load the tracks you made that would be the only way.. but i highly doubt you would truley want to spend that much time trying to figure out how LFS runs and all other branches that connect LFS together for it to run correctly

so in short simple words; what your doing is pointless, since you cant release it, and you most likely wont be able to get it to work correctly
only good thing you can get out of it is if you want to do full renders of cars on the tracks
Quote from XCNuse :So in short simple words; what your doing is pointless, since you cant release it.

Why cant he release it?

It might not be allowed on here, but the WWW is a big place.

Quote from XCNuse :and you most likely wont be able to get it to work correctly
only good thing you can get out of it is if you want to do full renders of cars on the tracks

Dont be so quick to say "it wont ever work".

Continue what you're doing Vagos, if you get it to work, awesome!

If not, well, atleast we can render all the tracks and cars.
In a sense, analyzers, spectator tools, etc... ALL use the SMX files and they are a 3D representation of the track available to the public. They are simplified version without textures on them and all... but what is the difference of having the SMX in a program/tool for LFS compared to having it viewable in a 3D program? We have no way of adding our own tracks, and if there was a way the devs surely wouldn't approve of that. But for rendering the actual LFS tracks in a 3D program, I can't see any harm in that.

I'd really like to see LFS tracks as scenes in a 3D program anyways... we could make some cool renders
The problem here is using someone else's 'artistic' work. People use
cars and tracks as if anyone could make them, which is far from the truth.
Eric's talent HAS a price. Like Looney said, the demo content is used to
promote LFS so you stand a better chance not touching any S1-S2 content.
People have to PAY for that. If you can freely import/export, what's the point
in buying LFS then? They created LFS. It would be insulting to simply use it's
content in a way that makes the dev's work worthless (in money value), as
in freely available. That's just not right. Depending, it can also be illegal.

Btw, nowhere will you ever see a comment of the devs approving LFSTweak in
ANY way. LFSTweak is tolerated, mainly because it's been around for a while
and i've made efforts to keep it from going too far. Again, the devs don't
approve of LFSTweak, they simply haven't decided to 'ban' it because of
it's popularity i guess. Also, can anyone tell me why i've been asked to
moderate here ? Seriously..lol
Quote from L(Oo)ney :Dont be so quick to say "it wont ever work".
Continue what you're doing Vagos, if you get it to work, awesome!

nono; im saying he would most likely never be able to import new tracks into LFS by doing that
Well, the right thing to do would be to clear it with the LFS devs first.
If you had a 'project' where you'd use some LFS content in another
game or environment than LFS itself, if it's promoting LFS in a way,
you could be allowed to do many things.

As mentionned, the SMX format is a viewer format only. It has little
relation with the actual game format used in LFS. That didn't stop me
from porting Blackwood to Netkar. I had to make all the background terrain
myself and used actual textures from LFS to retexture the whole thing, but
it worked well and the track is fun to drive in another game imo
I felt a cold when asking for other tracks though, so i stopped there. I
would have loved to do all the tracks, since at the time, S2 wasn't out so
Netkar was also a way to drive a F3000 and 360 Modena on LFS tracks
Quote from al heeley :Actually in one respect, LFS comes with some track editing, if you consider autocross editing, putting down ramps and barriers into the existing circuits.
Maybe this is what you mean?

how?
you are not licensed GTR, so you cant do autocross editing; basically its just .. what an autocross is, go to a parking lot, and put some cones and other stuff around and make a track
Quote from XCNuse :you are licensed GTR, so you cant do autocross editing

Is this right ?! I'm not sure i understand.

What i think it means is that the autocross editor is not available in
the demo. It's yet one more thing that buying S1-S2 gives you.
It enables you to place objects (cones, walls, chalk lines, etc) on
most track (might be all, not sure) and save the layout to distribute
and/or use later. Also, online, the server has real-time control of the
track layout meaning if he adds a cone, everyone on the server sees
the cone appear.

There's a whole forum only for layouts btw.
:S sorry, meant not

is there any Track-Editers?
(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG