The online racing simulator
Names over cars vs Names off
(78 posts, started )

Poll : Names over cars vs Names off

Names over cars, I like to see who I am pwning
Names off, I am hardcore baby
I remove all stuff from the screen with shift+F and I have that mapped to the wheel.

Or I just remove the names, if I really want to keep track of the rest, so the N key is also programmed to the wheel.

Mostly though it's the hardcore "no info" style.

So when it's necessary I take a quick look and then it's off again.
Kind of like it's my engineer on the radio that gives me a quick update.

I sometimes just need to know who's who so you can't really do without the names, well in public servers at least. A lot of people have their name on their plates, and that helps. But unfortunatly, lots of people think the numberplate is meant to insult the guy that is on your tail.
Names (and split times) off, first it's distracting (even blocking your view slightly), and second I don't really care (I find out soon enough whom I'm chatting to after the race)...
#53 - Jakg
Quote from banshee56 :I turn names off in league racing, because I can go back to the replay if I can't figure out who I was around or if someone wrecked me. Names always on in public servers, unless I know everyone I'm racing with.

ditto, in leagues (well, the STCC!) i know everyone by skin and dont need the text, but i keep it on in public racing
Wow- good to see so many drive without names. I do likewise, but I've sometimes wondered if that was being partially irresponsible, as then I have no idea who to say sorry to!

I only really like to see split times, 'cause they give a good indication of whether I'm doing something correctly or incorrectly- a good split, and I'll try the same approach next lap. etc..
I have names off, as well as the position list and the large split times.

I find it all very distracting.
Names off. I don't like clutter on the screen so I turn off the mini-map, results list etc off too. The license plate and paintjobs are usually sufficient to get to know particular people. I will sometimes turn on names while watching the replay if something happened that I want to examine more closely.
Most times I have names on, I'm just used to it. And I often one can see on the names what type of driver you have in front and how to react. When some one has a "§$!2F2F$%/DR!FT0R" style name I better keep in distance, a normal name with a clantag like "[CT] Whatever" shows me that it won't be dangerous to come a bit closer. Also newbes often haven't coloured their names yet.
Names off, except at T1.
Off while racing. I can't stand all that text clogging up the screen.
I'll flick them on for a moment sometimes if I need to identify someone for one reason or another.

Shift+F is the next step, but I can never remember what the hell gear I'm in...
Quote from farcar :Shift+F is the next step, but I can never remember what the hell gear I'm in...

It's right there on the dash gauges. Shift-F doesn't get rid of tha..... Oooooohhhh!!! Your one of those racers!!!!!
I drive with an empty screen, but when I want to know someone's name I press my keybind on my dfp and check.
Maybe I should finally install that Becky's pitspotter and switch to shift-F. I just need to know my lap times and laps... Just by shift-F:ing I lose a lot data...
#63 - Vain
Quote from Hyperactive :Maybe I should finally install that Becky's pitspotter and switch to shift-F. I just need to know my lap times and laps... Just by shift-F:ing I lose a lot data...

I'm waiting for luaLFS to get properly checked up and then I'll do a pitboard via InSim.
Then I can finally shift+f without missing any vital information.

Vain
Quote from mrodgers :It's right there on the dash gauges. Shift-F doesn't get rid of tha..... Oooooohhhh!!! Your one of those racers!!!!!

Yep, I'm one of those racers who finds the peripheral vision in the cockpit unrealistically bad, so I use a custom bonnet cam.
Names Off!!!! This is a SIM!
Quote from nikimere :i always have names turned on. you meet so amny new people on the servers, i like to know who is who.

Same here. Only time ill turn them off is if im in a server with only one other person, or im in photo mode, because... well you can figure this one out.

Somtimes however, when im in the Carribean Cruise, i like to hit Shift F just because its the fastest way to turn the map off. Why? Just adds to realism, similar to driving on mountain passes (or touge, to people who call it that). You get the best line with double laning, but you also dont want to hit oncoming traffic. Having the map off makes it more realstic, and makes you actualy use your sence of judgement, and only double lane the "non blind" corners.
#67 - aoun
" I like to see who im pwning "

LOL, that sort of the reason, but i like to see who im battling against.. if i know its a teammate or a good friend, i might nudge the rear (fun/prac race) 4 ha ha's or i mite go harder on the friend to get better etc..

If its someone i dont know and not familiar with the driving style, ill back off alittle bit more if close together etc. =)
Quote from Vain :....then I'll do a pitboard via InSim.

Vain

If I understand you correctly, that's one improvement I'd love to have in LFS.
Quote from Vain :I'm waiting for luaLFS to get properly checked up and then I'll do a pitboard via InSim.

Great news cant wait for that
I voted for hardcore, because that's how I'd prefer to drive. However, due to safety issues I find it's much more crucial to finishing a race to know who's around you than not
Names over cars... so i can see who's wrecking people. Thats the sole reason.

If its a league race, i'll turn it off.
names on for public servers... unless the racing is clean (which is unusual!) in which case i turn them off. Always off in leagues because it tends to be more of a friendly atmosphere and you know who everyone is anyway

this also needs to be an option in the poll cos im not sure which to pick.... but i guess i'll just go for public servers as i race there more often
I have it on so i can see who is wrecking me, and hack the hell out of them afterwards !
One other helpful thing about driving with names on is that when the person you're chasing is at the very limit of the range where the names appear, you can tell if you're gaining or losing time by whether the name is fading out or fading in. Since the sense of distance is a bit sketchier in LFS than it is in real life, it's a helpful gauge.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :One other helpful thing about driving with names on is that when the person you're chasing is at the very limit of the range where the names appear, you can tell if you're gaining or losing time by whether the name is fading out or fading in. Since the sense of distance is a bit sketchier in LFS than it is in real life, it's a helpful gauge.

It's not really, because the names are done on distance, not time. Thus they appear/get brighter in braking zones, and duller/fainter on straights.

Names over cars vs Names off
(78 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG