The online racing simulator
Names over cars vs Names off
(78 posts, started )

Poll : Names over cars vs Names off

Names over cars, I like to see who I am pwning
Names off, I am hardcore baby
Not sure if this has been done before, if so, shout, I know you will

So, who here drives in the realistic way, like me, with names off, and who here drives with big floating text above others cars?.

I find it a lot better to drive with them off, it just seems to make the forward view so much less cluttered, and it's much more realistic

What about you guys?
I have to agree - names off all the way. Realism for the win.

But I also save all my replays, so I can always check names later if something happens. I can appreciate why someone would keep names on in a public server.
#3 - amp88
Names over cars. Makes it easier to identify people (obviously) and to admin.
I usually drive with names off and shift-F, unless I race on a messy public server and need to "dodge" certain people.
Names on, must be an old habit from the times everyone looked the same in the homogeneous white skins. Should try switching them off, but not on public servers.
Quote from Blackout :Names on, must be an old habit from the times everyone looked the same in the homogeneous white skins.

VERY good point there, I remember when LFS only had "coloured" cars, and no skins, nowadays I find it much easier to indentify people from the skins / wheel colour / dodgy driving style
Names over cars is for convenience, names off is for realism. Tough take, but I still vote names over cars - Easier to identify people ( Since some of them change skins frequently) and to see police cars in Carribean Cruise... .
I still have them on, probably because I'm used to it
i always have names turned on. you meet so amny new people on the servers, i like to know who is who.
I turn names off in league racing, because I can go back to the replay if I can't figure out who I was around or if someone wrecked me. Names always on in public servers, unless I know everyone I'm racing with.

OT: One thing I've started doing is leaving the split times notification off. I've found that when I'm trying to set fast laps, in qualifying for example, it's more distracting when I get a good split, and then I stuff it in the wall because I'm apprehensive of getting a good lap in.
Public servers and pick&play racing = names on (unless I've been there for a while and am used to the crowd)
League races and organised events = names off (and sometimes shift-f too)
#12 - Vain
I almost always drive names off.
The names distract me a lot.

Vain
#13 - Gunn
Shows how much I know, I would have thought only a few people would have names on.

Go figure.
names on ftw!
realism or not, its still a game.
as already said few times helps to to avoid bad situation with "slow" drivers (which mostly start to be slow in turns ).
also i cant really look at the skins while driving, having a fast look at the name is easier, i always like to know whos around me
Quote from Gunn :Shows how much I know, I would have thought only a few people would have names on.

Go figure.

Yup, it is interesting indeed.

I am also liking the idea of turning off split-times, never really figured to me to turn them off during races.
Quote from tristancliffe :Public servers and pick&play racing = names on (unless I've been there for a while and am used to the crowd)
League races and organised events = names off (and sometimes shift-f too)

+1
Names off.....gawd!

I use the position list to find who i am around.

Only have them on when i am spectating
Names off, until i get punted when i flick them on quickly to see who hit me.

I definitely prefer a hardcore approach like nKPro takes...no names,cockpit view only,no times on the screen.

Not knocking the LFS approach BTW, let me make that clear before i get flamed it's horses for courses.
I want to know who is the subjet that is crashing me
Quote from banshee56 :OT: One thing I've started doing is leaving the split times notification off. I've found that when I'm trying to set fast laps, in qualifying for example, it's more distracting when I get a good split, and then I stuff it in the wall because I'm apprehensive of getting a good lap in.

That is so true. I really stopped caring about split times, I just look at the end result. If you really want to know your split, you can still look a little to the right.
Quote from The Moose :
I definitely prefer a hardcore approach like nKPro takes...no names,cockpit view only,no times on the screen.

Not knocking the LFS approach BTW, let me make that clear before i get flamed it's horses for courses.

Shift + F my friend, clears the screen completely
Quote from cmckowen :Names off.....gawd!

I use the position list to find who i am around.

Only have them on when i am spectating

Pretty much the same here... With the minimap and position list you have the necessary information to find who is who, and if you're in a league race the skins are also a good help.
names on. always.

wanna know who´s pwnin me
Quote from danowat :Shift + F my friend, clears the screen completely

Thank you...still finding things out everyday with this sim

Shift-F it is then
names on to know who i am going to draft with.

of there are too much cars around i turn it off. i also turn it off in replays and spectating.

(78 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG