The online racing simulator
That's going to take some getting used to.
Who's going to be the brave one and do the BF1 skin of it ?
Quote from Bean0 :Who's going to be the brave one and do the BF1 skin of it ?

Gobby?

Edit: This is also important to note - it's NOT just a picture of the earth

Quote from F1 Live! :Anyone who wishes will have the opportunity to have their name on the car, make a pledge to make a lifestyle change to improve the environment and make a donation to an environmental charity. Under the concept of "our car is your car", each name will form a tiny individual pixel which will help build the image of planet earth on the car. Each name will be visible on the website when you make the pledge or under a microscope on the car.

Chirst thats going to cost a bit of money, it may be ugly but its probably the most advanced paint job on any racing car ever.
Attached images
Left3QuarterViewBg-4.jpg
LeftRear3QuarterViewBg-4.jpg
LeftSideViewBg-4.jpg
#30 - aoun
when i first heard green, i expected dark-ish to shine light green kind all over, that would have looked awesome!.. thats not green, thats earth =) the black part at the back from the side looks alright.. but the rest, yuk!
Well, i do not think that it is as ugly as you all discribed it. Well it isn't the nicest, but not the worst. I think it is quiet interesting to see a Formula One Team choosing a livery like that.
I think we will be all waiting to see Gobby's work of the new Honda.
And by the way if you have not got a HDTV you will only see something blue-green running around the circuit.
#32 - JJ72
Well there is certainly novelty in the concept and technology used but it simply don't work visually, I mean if you can only read the name under a microscope what's the point?? This is not a race car livery, this has nothing to do with the car itself at all.
#33 - Gunn
It is rediculous in every way. I can't see this being the official livery, where are the sponsors? Where is the money coming from? It looks like somebody ate a lot of lettuce then threw up in a swimming pool. Maybe it's temporary (I bloody hope so).
Looks like a quickie render if you ask me. A company like Google has the ability to get someone to design a more finished looking piece than that.
If it was me I'd have either assigned a land mass to each body part, or have started from the top and work my way south, as if the globe had been wrapped around the car. As it is, most of the recognisable parts of the map are obscured, with the exception of Western Europe.

It's probably a fake designed to put people off the scent when trying to find previews of the new one.
#35 - JTbo
Looks better than any of those 'million stickers all over' cars that others do have, but really not very good looking, would work in larger surfaces better, but with such complex shapes it is really not working too well as it is hard to get that it is world map.
Quote from Gunn :It is rediculous in every way. I can't see this being the official livery, where are the sponsors? Where is the money coming from? It looks like somebody ate a lot of lettuce then threw up in a swimming pool. Maybe it's temporary (I bloody hope so).

Honda have being saying for a while that their 2007 car would be different than anything ever seen in F1 before so i'm sure it will be on all season long.
As far as money goes Honda certainly do not have any shortage to fund this themselves, but i'm sure they are getting "grants" and all sorts for this campaign.

I'd put a tenner on with anyone that it has NOTHING to do with Google at all.
#37 - joen
It has already been confirmed this is the real new livery. And nog, Google doesn´t have anything to do with it.
most important thing is

HOW THE HELL ARE WE GOING TO SKIN THAT ?
#39 - JJ72
Quote from tinvek :most important thing is

HOW THE HELL ARE WE GOING TO SKIN THAT ?

Alive.

watch out of hot lava coming from the wounds.
Simple.

1. Load Google Earth
2. Load Fraps
3. Take screenshot
4. Paste onto skin
5. Revel in the lame-ness.

@joen
Google are involved, because that's a Google Earth image
#41 - joen
Quote from Dajmin :
@joen
Google are involved, because that's a Google Earth image

Could be, but they aren´t a sponsor like suggested in the thread title

Quote from grandprix.com :
Honda becomes a charitable institution
Honda Racing F1 is not only going green but iss also inviting organisations and people to make a donation to an environmental charity and thus appear on the F1 car. The aim of the programme is to raise awareness of the problems of global warming and encourage people to do more about it. Under the concept of "our car is your car", each donor will buy a tiny individual pixel which will help build the image of planet earth on the car. Each name will be visible on the website when you make the pledge or under a microscope on the car. Donations can be made via the website www.myearthdream.com. The new programme is believed to be an idea that comes from Honda's involvement with Simon Fuller's 19 Entertainment.

"We hope that in raising awareness and highlighting the issues we will encourage members of the public to come together and help take on the challenge of climate change," said the team's chief executive Nick Fry.

Thus far Universal Music and Gatorade have signed up and other companies that will be involved include IBM, Fila, Instron, Showa Denko, TUV and GF Agie Charmilles.

#42 - JJ72
Quote from Dajmin :Google are involved, because that's a Google Earth image

um.....don't think so, google earh use images directly from the top, and this is an angled shot.
#43 - JJ72
Quote from Clownpaint :I actually really like it!

I can't understand why people dislike it so much.

It's original, the colours are natural and don't contrast, it's big publicity. It's everything a livery should be.

But it does not consider the shape of the car.

It does not consider the environment which it will be presented in (at 300km/h)

in my opinion this can only stand as a concept, there's no refinement which makes it a car livery. It's not tailored to be presented on a car, and much better off on a yacht or a semi truck.
Quote from Clownpaint :I can't understand why people dislike it so much.

Well, it mings. That's a good enough reason on its own. But I will be interested to see how Honda manage to reconcile this with their business activity, never mind their involvement in motorsport.
It would be kind of cool if someone did it as a concept render, but it's not what an F1 car should be.

"Let's race fast cars... And save the environment!"

Nooo! Keep the two separate, Honda. You don't see packages of paper emblazoned with "Save The Trees".
If you think about it the car will have millions of microscopic sponsors.

Its ugly, but I don't think Honda care about that, this is a fantastic way of increasing Hondas green image. On autosport there is also a report that F1 has been carbon neutral since 1997 and the WRC since 2001.

It will stay on all season, and I suspect the black section may be used for other sponsors. Cue all the F1 photographers getting super close up pictures of the car trying to see the names
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :On autosport there is also a report that F1 has been carbon neutral since 1997 and the WRC since 2001.

I find this whole business of carbon offsetting a bit unpleasant. So F1 preserves a forest somewhere and suddenly the tonnes of CO2 produced from flying 50+ truckloads of kit half way around the world every two weeks become acceptable?

I suppose by that logic, despite the fact that I work from home, buy locally-grown produce wherever possible, recycle and rarely use any form of transport other than my own two feet, the fact that I'm using electricity off the UK grid to power my computer makes F1 more eco-friendly than I am. illepall

I own this shirt because I couldn't find one that says "Global warming is part of the earth's natural cycle and the difference we make is insignificant".
Quote from TiJay :I"Global warming is part of the earth's natural cycle and the difference we make is insignificant".

No, no, no. Humans are the main cultrit. If it wasn't for us the earth would be the same temperature all the time, all year around at all latitudes. Even at night. I know this because some politicians who were getting subsidies for saying it told me, and they weren't crossing their fingers, or touching wood or anything, so it must be true
I agree with you mate, entirely. It's mostly a load of cobblers, with no real scientific evidence to support it in my opinion.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG