The online racing simulator
LFS in 5 Mins
(29 posts, started )
LFS in 5 Mins
hey, like always ive been trying to introduce LFS to new guys, but it just takes so bloody long to explain everything, and i usually ends up with something like this:

Power is nothing without control | Youre not really driving unless youve got some wheels spinning every so often says:
nice
Power is nothing without control | Youre not really driving unless youve got some wheels spinning every so often says:
u have a ps2?
๑۩۞۩๑ Chensta - DOOOOOM - no plot needed says:
nah
u should get 1... GT4 is the shit
nah gt4 is arcade
bullshit
its a freakin sim!
seriously, just try this game

(then followed by a 10minute explanation about the physics and game community)

so is there a way to show sumbody what LFS is all about real quick
Quote from Lola Popeye :so is there a way to show sumbody what LFS is all about real quick

Shorter names of the people having the conversation?
Indeed, do a find and replace!!!

Quote :Someone says:
nice
Someone says:
u have a ps2?
Chensta says:
nah
Someone says:
u should get 1... GT4 is the shit
Chensta says:
nah gt4 is arcade
Someone says:
bullshit
Someone says:
its a freakin sim!
Chensta says:
seriously, just try this game

#4 - (SaM)
It can be shorter. ALOT shorter.
A friend of mine asked me what I play. I spoke 3 words. Live, for, Speed.
The same day, he downloaded the demo and bought an S2 license. Can it be shorter than that?
Quote from (SaM) :It can be shorter. ALOT shorter.
The same day, he downloaded the demo and bought an S2 license. Can it be shorter than that?

friend of mine asked me what I play. I spoke 3 letters. L, F, S.
The same day, he downloaded the demo and bought an S2 license
#6 - (SaM)
I dont believe you. :sleep1:
I got into GT4 again yesterday... the Audi A3 3.2 Quattro is a sweet car, sounds good, drives good, looks good. I reduce a little of its weight and gave it more rear drive bias and it was even better! GT4 isn't that bad really, sure its not "The Real Driving Simulator" like it claims, but it's still a good.

LOL, that name is huge. Send him a link to the 32mb demo. Say "Download it, try it and STFU about GT4."
friend of mine asked me what I play. I spoke 3 letters. L, F, S.
The same day he asked me, "can my computer run it?"

me - I don't know, what do you have?

him - A Compaq, I think.

me - What kind of Compaq? What's the processor? You have a Celeron, don't you?

him - I don't know, I think. Do you use a steering wheel?

me - Yea.

him - I saw one at Walmart for $10, could I use it?

me - If you just want to try it, yea. But you'll get hooked and want a better one.

him - What was the name of that again?

me - LFS - Live for Speed.

him - Where can I get it?

me - Just download the demo on www.liveforspeed.net.

The next day

him - What was that game again? Need for Speed?

me - No, definitely not Need for Speed, LIVE for Speed.

him - I can get it at liveforspeed.com?

me - Yea, it will redirect you to .net.

him - You think I could run it on my computer?

me - You didn't tell me what you have.

him - I don't know, the old lady knows. I think a 1.2 megasomething or other.

me - You probably could if it's a 1.2 GHz Celeron if you have enough RAM. How much ram do you have.

him - What's ram? The hard drive? I have enough space, I don't have anything on it.

me - No, that's the memory, not harddrive. You have to have enough ram to run OK on a Celeron.

him - I'll ask the old lady tonight when I get home.

me - Just download the demo and try it. It's free.

The next day.

me - Did you download LFS?

him - What was the website again?

me - liveforspeed.net or .com, doesn't matter.

him - Ok, I'll have to try it out.

me - I wait for weeks and weeks. He's seen the screenshots, seen the movies, etc. I can't get any of my coworkers to try it out. I got another guy to download it, but he hasn't tried it. Another one actually bought a wheel, but never downloaded. They are all too involved with their RC car racing I think.

When I spoke those words to my friends, they downloaded the demo, then downloaded a crack =/
Go figure.
I want to shoot myself in the head everytime someone says "LFS sucks because I couldn't keep the car on the road, GT4 is better because it has Nissan Skyline and like 3 million awesome cool cars" or something like that.

I pulled out a CD with it on it, and just gave it to him without saying anything :P
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from mrodgers :friend of mine asked me what I play. I spoke 3 letters. L, F, S.
The same day he asked me, "can my computer run it?"

me - I don't know, what do you have?

him - A Compaq, I think.

me - What kind of Compaq? What's the processor? You have a Celeron, don't you?

him - I don't know, I think. Do you use a steering wheel?

me - Yea.

him - I saw one at Walmart for $10, could I use it?

me - If you just want to try it, yea. But you'll get hooked and want a better one.

him - What was the name of that again?

me - LFS - Live for Speed.

him - Where can I get it?

me - Just download the demo on www.liveforspeed.net.

The next day

him - What was that game again? Need for Speed?

me - No, definitely not Need for Speed, LIVE for Speed.

him - I can get it at liveforspeed.com?

me - Yea, it will redirect you to .net.

him - You think I could run it on my computer?

me - You didn't tell me what you have.

him - I don't know, the old lady knows. I think a 1.2 megasomething or other.

me - You probably could if it's a 1.2 GHz Celeron if you have enough RAM. How much ram do you have.

him - What's ram? The hard drive? I have enough space, I don't have anything on it.

me - No, that's the memory, not harddrive. You have to have enough ram to run OK on a Celeron.

him - I'll ask the old lady tonight when I get home.

me - Just download the demo and try it. It's free.

The next day.

me - Did you download LFS?

him - What was the website again?

me - liveforspeed.net or .com, doesn't matter.

him - Ok, I'll have to try it out.

me - I wait for weeks and weeks. He's seen the screenshots, seen the movies, etc. I can't get any of my coworkers to try it out. I got another guy to download it, but he hasn't tried it. Another one actually bought a wheel, but never downloaded. They are all too involved with their RC car racing I think.

Yeah, that's about the closest I've ever got anyone to try LFS as well.
LOL and the conversationss are almost identical.
Most of the ppl I know, if it doesn't involve building a bunch a tanks and micromanging resources, they just ain't interested.
didn't have much luck with LfS here at first - until i started carrying a LfS CD with me all the time at work and i got one of our mechanics hooked - 2 days later, the others started asking me for the CD as well and right now, there are 3 of them racing in demo mode and one got a license..

@psycho
by the way - what'S the problem with those guys you mentioned, that download the crack? the crack is just an extended offline demo, so there'S really not problem with the crack at all..

it might convince much more demo-racers to buy a license than it prevents people from licensing their downloaded demos - since they are able to test all tracks/cars of the game but they just can't compete with someone (not counting the uncompetitive AI)
I have similar problems with my mates in Scotland. Mate Kev reckons he could get a Fiesta (this) round corners faster than you can in any of the road cars in LFS. I have told him time and time again its a perception thing... but he doesnt get it.

All this from someone who's idea of a good game is one on the XBox... dont know if he's worth converting!!

I think its those Arcade gamers that are the hardest to convince, because there are no "tuning" or other arcadey type effects (like the motion blur in Moto GP). They probably will never put in the time and effort to experience one of the best simulators available.

The couple of people I managed to get to look into LFS from work, had a look, one of them even bought a wheel. But because they were crap at it, they gave up. So I bought the wheel (reduced price of course) from that friend and now I have a nice new one

Its a pity more people cant put the time in to get into it, otherwise LFS would be much larger than it is now.
Hmmm, some people like (or don't) arcade games, some people like (or don't) sims. My take, when I describe it is "it's a game where you can instantly play online and where the cars behave very much like you'd expect them to"... works every time
wtf?
it's rather like this:

noob: what do you play?
ori: live for speed.
noob: what, you mean nfs? - need for speed?
ori: do I look like a kid or what?
noob: heh?? I dont get it
ori: lfs is racing simulator for men, need for speed is arcade crap for kids.
noob: arcade?
ori: just test lfs and you'll know that you cant race a car.
noob: lol idiot but I have a driving license.
ori: you might be able to drive a car, but trust me, you cant drive it on the limit.
noob: need for speed is cool, I like need for speed. It is very realistic. Fast cars and cool drifting. yeah!
ori: i dont wanna meet you on a real road...
noob: "mit hundert inne Kurve"^^ (insider :P)
Hm. None of my friends is into racing games, but what I've done two or three times is to take those who don't play computer games at all (they see the wheel and start laughing and go like "Dude, you're crazy!", sit them down in front of my PC and start lfs....which resulted in a sort of brawl about who's the next to drive a few laps.
My best friend (likes games but has no console and only a sluggish PC) was even like "Dude, the next time you go on holiday, give me the keys to your flat. Or lend me your PC and the wheel!"

But I'm pretty sure none of them would ever really get into LFS. There's too much else they need their time for.
When i mention Live For Speed they say, "Need For Speed? Yeah i got it"
I just avoid telling people about it. :P
I just keep playing it in front of my friends and they want to try it when I am away from the computer. They eventually buy it without telling me and then want to play online for the first time . So far 6 of my friends have bought LFS... and probably another 6 are playing the demo, but these guys aren't addicted, they are busy people.
That is the biggest problem that I run into. Most of my friends and associates are very busy people. Families, work, and other hobbies. What I try to do is get them to trade some of their normal hobbie time for LFS time. Unfortunately, I have had little success yet. My brother would be a perfect candidate, but he refuses to admit that he is interested.
I have one friend who I am sure I can get addicted to LFS (god, now I am a pusher). He really likes GT4, but that is because it is quick and easy. He does not have to worry about setups and it is easy to get the game out and play. Plus, he just moved so he has been very busy.

I think the most important thing is to share your online racing experiences with them. Talk about the community of people and how important that is to the game. Talk about teams and how you can meet more people and make more friends just by racing LFS. I have!
Quote from deggis :I want to shoot myself in the head everytime someone says "LFS sucks because I couldn't keep the car on the road, GT4 is better because it has Nissan Skyline and like 3 million awesome cool cars" or something like that.

I wonder too about the praise of GT4. Most people seem to think it's the ultimate sim. Haven't tried it myself, but I have played GT, GT2 and GT3 and heard about it not been a hardcore sim. I remember one time when I was on a LFS server and one guy said how he hates how arcade LFS is. I asked why he thinks that. He replied something about him been able to beat his father so easily in LFS (he also said his father was somekind of real life race driver). Then I pulled the "LFS is still alpha" card and made note that LFS is still one of the most realistic sims out there. Guess what he said next: How about GT4?
Then I was like :Eyecrazy:
Quote from DasKlee :didn't have much luck with LfS here at first - until i started carrying a LfS CD with me all the time at work and i got one of our mechanics hooked - 2 days later, the others started asking me for the CD as well and right now, there are 3 of them racing in demo mode and one got a license..

@psycho
by the way - what'S the problem with those guys you mentioned, that download the crack? the crack is just an extended offline demo, so there'S really not problem with the crack at all..

it might convince much more demo-racers to buy a license than it prevents people from licensing their downloaded demos - since they are able to test all tracks/cars of the game but they just can't compete with someone (not counting the uncompetitive AI)

Because they will never buy the game. Just burn the bandwidth to download it, and what ever addons they like.

Which sucks for anyone else as if everyone downloads the full game, and cracks it without putting money back, LFS would just turn into a massive black hole which sucks up money. If your not going to put anything into the pot, just don't download it, saves money all round.
I've only got my brother into LFS, he also purchased a wheel for it. He only really got into it once I showed him the MRT5 back in S1, after doing a few laps in it with my wheel he was hooked. I'll get mates to have a go at it, and a lot enjoy it but none of them have the time to get into it. Most of them stick to GT4 type games as it's quick and easy, no need for a huge comment. Fair enough

Actually, everyone I have showed only has seen S1 and they all loved the MRT5...
GT4 is a great GAME, LFS is a great SIM

LFS in 5 Mins
(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG