The online racing simulator
newbie question about controller
howdy all ,

im new to this game and liking it alot , but i havent got the room for a steering wheel ,, whats a good game pad / controller to get ,, any ideas ?

cheers

Shags
Unless you can afford a wheel, stick with mouse + kb.
Yep - I agree with that advice
Don't spend money on a game pad/controller when for that little bit more you could get a racing wheel. When you say you have no space I assume you mean storage? A DFP costs £50 delivered to your door and takes up less roughly the same space as my Epson All-in one printer, infact I just have it stacked ontop of my printer.
Try getting a wheel - but if you can't, just get a Playstation-style pad, (4 face buttons, 2 shoulder buttons on each side, 2 analog sticks and so-on).

Use the right analog stick for throttle/brake (I prefer that inverted), Left analog stick for steering and what would be L2 and R2 for gears. Play around with what you find natural, I use Select for limiter when I can't be bothered to plug my DFP in (My desk is very very small and has a keyboard tray with an unremovable flaming wrist thingy).
Quote from duke_toaster :Try getting a wheel - but if you can't, just get a Playstation-style pad, (4 face buttons, 2 shoulder buttons on each side, 2 analog sticks and so-on).

Use the right analog stick for throttle/brake (I prefer that inverted), Left analog stick for steering and what would be L2 and R2 for gears. Play around with what you find natural, I use Select for limiter when I can't be bothered to plug my DFP in (My desk is very very small and has a keyboard tray with an unremovable flaming wrist thingy).

Do they make playstation style controllers that hook up to a USB port? Right now im using the Gran Turismo wheel made for playstation, but its got the USB cord.
Quote from jayhawk :http://www.logitech.com/index. ... ,CRID=2225,CONTENTID=8674

Does it look like this? http://www.logitech.com/index. ... ,CRID=2250,CONTENTID=7226 if so, keep using it, its one of the best out there.

Yes, that one exactly, and i love it every bit! Works on all my PS2 games, has 900 degree rotation, has force feedback, its got a really good feel to it, its very functiona, and its one of the few wheels to have a "stick", as opposed to just the paddle. Its got both!

Its not a true 6 speed gearbox tho, its just the + and -, like the newer Tiptronic systems you see on some of the autotragic cars today.

Still a really cool wheel.

EDIT: That logitech PS2 style controler looks really cool. Definatley the best cheap alternative to a wheel, for this game. Assuming the analog buttons are sensitive to how far you push them, that could make for a really fun gaming experience.

If i had spare money, i would probly get it. It would be nice to switching to the controler, when its late at night, and my parents dont wanna hear the loud WHRRRR noise, coming from the force feedback.
#10 - MR_B
Quote from shagger :howdy all ,

im new to this game and liking it alot , but i havent got the room for a steering wheel ,, whats a good game pad / controller to get ,, any ideas ?

cheers

Shags

No no, I have a dfp on my lap!
Serious! I once had a PS2 logitech wheel (black and blue called the Driving Force) and it came with a big lump of plastic to put on your lap.
Only cost me £30 and did me well for a year or so until I got a driving force pro, which didn't come with a lap rest, but it fit my old one perfectly. I'd seriously recommend it to you. May not be realistic but it's the best compromise.

Hope that helps you, welcome to LFS
#11 - MR_B
Quote from Sketchyrollin564 :Do they make playstation style controllers that hook up to a USB port? Right now im using the Gran Turismo wheel made for playstation, but its got the USB cord.

I have a PS2 to USB adapter and I use an actual Sony ps2 controller for some games. I'd recommend that if you have a ps2. It only cost me about £5 from play.com (I don't think they sell it anymore there though)
thanks guys thats givin me some ideas !!!

appreacite it

Shags
The xbox 360 controller works well with LFS in terms of joypads, especially if you update the M$ drivers with the XBCD drivers (google it).

However i would imagine for imersion there's nothing quite like a wheel and the DFP is a very good wheel for its price. Shame i sold mine when i stopped playing GT4
#14 - MR_B
Quote from Kinetic Frenzy :The xbox 360 controller works well with LFS in terms of joypads, especially if you update the M$ drivers with the XBCD drivers (google it).

However i would imagine for imersion there's nothing quite like a wheel and the DFP is a very good wheel for its price. Shame i sold mine when i stopped playing GT4

You did what! You fool!illepall
I've only just started playing sim racing games on the PC so when i got bored of GT4 and my Playstation 2 i thought i may as well get the cash for it whilst i could. £90 is a lot for a dust collector

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG