The online racing simulator
Speed Drifting vs. Show Drifting
(73 posts, closed, started )

Poll : What type of drifting do you usally use?

Speed Drifting
Show Drifting
i might do a few laps of "swain drift" when i get home from work and see just how much of a difference there is

i will use Race_S set as a control, and post the results
swain does not time the laps :lol:
i voted show drifting, because of the point made in the second post. not that i drift but if i did drift thats what i would do.
Quote from kamkorPL :mods, don't let this discussion continue. Don't let some people make all drifters look stupid again. This is just ridicilous.

somehow, I believe evryone involved in to the discussion looks stupid....now that I posted it here - I do to...
so +1 on the lock the thread
Quote from MAGGOT :It only offends those who think figure skating is for pansies. Quite frankly, I don't have the balls to try and jump into the air and do a 360 and try to land on hard ice. I don't 'like' or 'enjoy' figure skating, but it is certainly challenging, and quite painful when something goes wrong. (More people have had life-threatening injuries from Figure Skating than from Hockey I'd bet.) Those who think calling drifting the figure skating of the motorsports world is an insult are just insecure about their chosen sport. That's not my fault.

most pro sports arent for pansies and neither is figure skating ... but you cant deny that male figure skaters (just like male ballroom dancers) usually look like giant queens which is an image most of us wouldnt like to be compared to

Quote from SamH :I've read and re-read, and I still don't understand what the purpose is in this so-called "speed drifting". Is it to race, or to drift? If it's to race, then the question that really BEGS being answered is.. what's the POINT? Surely speed drifting can't be about racing, because the best way to speed-drift competitively would be to not speed-drift at all.

there is non per se drifting as such is always about looks (which of course includes speed as a sideways parked car isnt very exciting to look at)

but of course for funsies you can always have a non serious race with the rule that you have to clear the corners sideways as a handicap ... kind of like a weight penalty in touring cars or 3-legged races ... obviously this requires an even igher degree of fair play than normal racing

Quote from tristancliffe :No one yet has defined the differences between speed and show drifting. Partly, I suspect, because there isn't a difference, but people don't want to admit to sliding just for the sake of sliding.

the only real difference you could think of is different approaches to cornes that either scrub of lots of speeds or take some more speed out on the following straight

any good drifter is able to adjust his lines to both approaches depending on the corner hes headed into
slow corner leading into a bendy part of the track => 'showier' drift
fast corner leading onto a long straight that requires lots of momentum to link ino the next corner without gripping => speedier drift
4 wheel drifts in historic cars and modern 'gripping' are two ways to race a car they both have the common goal of getting a car round a track as fast as possible.

Drifting is not a fast way of driving a car regardless of whether you consider it an art form or a silly activity wasting perfectly good rubber. The RL part of the second vid wasn't drifting AFAIK just warming tires up/having fun on an outlap.

At the Autosport show the drifters were blown away IMO by the winner of the Palmer Audi race who had phenomenal car control purposefully drifting a powerful single seater indoors on a floor with no grip to block on the straights.
Quote from Forbin :I don't understand what you're asking. All drifting is for show. If you wanted to go fast you wouldn't be drifting.

Well thats not completly true ^.^ for tight turns drift could be the fastest but yes drifitng slows you down and wears your tyres but its not completley useless ;P
Quote from dizzlez :Well thats not completly true ^.^ for tight turns drift could be the fastest but yes drifitng slows you down and wears your tyres but its not completley useless ;P

No for tight turns good throttle control is fastest simply flooring it and letting the rear end come round is what mortals do but it will never be as quick as a perfectly judged throttle control exit or (well set up) traction control.
If we restrict the argument to LFS cars (in dizzlez' case the three demo cars) the fastest way around a tarmac track in LFS (in dizzlez' case only Blackwood is relevant) is definitely not by drifting. Some slight 4W drift (as shown in the video I posted on page 2) can be advantageous (fun in the XRG) but back-out drifting will only slow you down and chew your rubber.
#61 - DeKo
Speed drifting i suppose, although most of the time i dont really mean to drift, just try to make myself as wide as possible and to get the best line through a corner.

for example, sometimes on the exit of a corner which leads onto another corner, (example south sprint 1) coming out the second to last corner, i power on and basically powerslide round the last corner, making my car as wide as i can in an attempt to not let somebody past. usually works quite well. wouldnt consider this drifting though.
My definition of speed drifting is this:

Using all of the avalable slip angle the tires are designed to use. Tires are desiged to slip alittle and doing so is not going to slow you down. Even in modern F1 people like Schumi drive and steer as much with the rear tires as they do the front. If the tires are squeeling you are past the point of useable slip angle.

I am faster using that technique then grip only. It does not wear the tires out either and means I am using a slight about of counter steering through the corners. Steer with both ends, Schumi does.
That sounds more like four-wheel drifting to me Gimpster - the methods sound the same and the end result sounds about the same too. Although I think with factors like traction control and huge downforce it probably isn't in common usage in modern F1 cars...we should also remember that LFS' physics aren't done yet (tyres especially) so probably don't reflect a real F1 car's behaviour as much as they probably could. However, not having driven the LFS BF1 all that much I can't comment on how well you can four-wheel drift it (so I'm not doubting you). Four-wheel drift works fine (and is great fun) in other LFS cars too, like the LXs and the XRG - most of the RWD roadies actually :up:
Speed drifting is obviously what you do when you attempt to break the land speed record with a Volvo 240GL on an road you've never driven before, whereas show drifting is what you do when you attempt to impress teenage girls with bluesmoking your recycled tyres around the local gas station.

at it sounds like this:

untch - Untch - UNTch - *SCREEECH* - UNTCh - UNTCH - *SCREEEEEEECH* - uNTCH - unTCH - untCH - untcH - untch.
Speed drifting is a bit like speed walking (the olympic 'sport')

"Ok guys, this is the fastest way around most turns, but you may NOT do that!" errrr
I speed drift, simply because I can never handle big angles, so I just let the rear slide enough to look good, but I'm still doing 80+ into the Blackwood S turn
Quote from CYA LTR :Speed drifting is obviously what you do when you attempt to break the land speed record with a Volvo 240GL on an road you've never driven before, whereas show drifting is what you do when you attempt to impress teenage girls with bluesmoking your recycled tyres around the local gas station.

at it sounds like this:

untch - Untch - UNTch - *SCREEECH* - UNTCh - UNTCH - *SCREEEEEEECH* - uNTCH - unTCH - untCH - untcH - untch.

OMG - no offence but you're stupid?? or only try to other people think you're stupid ??
STOP LAUGHING!!
most of people who think the same as mr "CYA LTR" just don't know what drifting really is....
drifting is not racing!!
if you can race - it doesnt mean you can also drift :P and vice versa!!
(here are all "little drifting racers" wrong!!!) everything needs practice!!
try to understand that going little sideways at the end of the corner is not a drift by its definition..(i'm not telling here about practicing/learnign how to drift)

Speed drifting is all about to get less angle (countersteer is reduced to the minimum) instead of higher speed and better accelerate at the end of the corner. Also late braking.

it may sound little bit like racing but its not racing - its fast drifting
dont believe me ?? just see "DRIFT BIBLE" by KEIICHI TSUCHIYA
Still I haven't got a drifter-answer for the question I asked on 1st page; "Is there speed drift competitions?"
frokki: in s2 - no. In demo? I have no idea.
Quote from frokki :Still I haven't got a drifter-answer for the question I asked on 1st page; "Is there speed drift competitions?"

Umm, well, the competitions I've been in and the ones I've heard of, it's always about making it nice. But! The speed is in the judging criteria so, higher speed means more points. But, less angle means less points.

Here you have the judging criteria for Saiko D Twin Drift Competition (not sure about the exact name of the competition either, the forums for it isn't there now so..).

Quote from Stanley Carter :Judging Criteria
Amended from Saiko D Drift Competition 2005, originally defined by Bunta (aka. Nuvolari) and later modified by Saiko D

Technical points to consider:

- Line
- Angle
- Speed
- Closeness & Coordination

Line:
Drifting is very dynamic, there are many lines to be taken, similar to grip racing, the best line would be the “race” line, whereby the driver start off wide at the corner entrance, then clipping the apex point of the corner, and exits the corner wide again, fully utilizing the track’s space. Drifting off the track is not a good line, but dirt dropping is allowed, but make sure you have only one wheel off the track, anything above two wheels off track is bad for your scores. Consistency comes into play in terms of choosing the right drift line, the more you get to clip the corner apex while sideways, and the better your points will be.

Scoring:
+ Smooth
+ Clips corner apex

- Going off course
- Choppy, as in going too wide, or too tight, bad lines.

Angle:
Angle plays a major role in getting good scores in drifting, the greater angle a drift is achieved, the higher the score will be. But if one managed to achieve high angle, but slows down too much or didn’t manage to drift the entire corner due to loss of momentum, the scores will not be good. I will like to see a good balance and control of good angles maintained while drifting throughout the entire corner.

Scoring:
+ High angle

- Low angle

Speed:
Great angle and good line are nothing without momentum. Rating a drift for speed is basically rating the momentum. If the car loses too much momentum clearly the drift should lose points. It is quite easy to keep a car sideways until speed drops right off. If a driver is attempting to score points by drifting long, all of this will be undone if he loses too much momentum. Drifting becomes simple skidding. The stylistic form is ruined when momentum is lost.

Scoring:
+ High speed corner entry
+ Consistent speed throughout corner

- Slow
- Lose of momentum

Closeness & Coordination
Most important criteria of all, after all, this is twin drifting we're looking at. If the two drifters manage to perform as well as the 3 criterias stated above, and also manages to kept close to each other, the scores will then be perfect. Both the leading and chasing drivers play big role in twin drifting, if the leader made a small mistake, it may spoil the entire twin drift process; Its not easy for the chaser as well as he will need to mirror every move of the leading driver, while keeping close as possible without tapping, or losing momentum in his drifts.

Scoring:
+ Real close gap between 2 drifters (during drifting)
+ Accurate cooridination

- Too far apart from each other
- Bumps or crashes

* There is only one score for each team, the 2 drifters will need to WORK TOGETHER in order to get a good score, even though one driver drifts better than the other one, but the overall twin drift performance is lacking, the team will still get a bad score. Oh... spin out, crashes... its a 0, no question about it.

Runs are marked out of 100 for each section. One track could have several sections, for example, qualify track has two sections, each section is 100, total is 200, the judge will then take the average as the final score.

Line – 20
Angle – 20
Speed – 20
Closeness & Coordination – 40
-------------------------------------
Total 100

In S2, there isn't much about speed drifting. But on the demo it's either show or speed so maybe there, they have speed drift competitions.

Sorry for my english but I do think you'll understand.

Edit: Oh btw, I do think I got this right now and if I didn't, someone who knows should correct me.
So this thread was pointless since the first post, and only offered another opportunity for stupid drift disses and even more stupid defends?

Way to go, Riders Motion
Quote from f@zer :OMG - no offence but you're stupid?? or only try to other people think you're stupid ??
STOP LAUGHING!!
most of people who think the same as mr "CYA LTR" just don't know what drifting really is....
drifting is not racing!!

Earth to mars....I was joking...chill and stop calling me stupid. Dressing your 'explanation' in personal attacks doesn't do it any justice in my eyes. If you can't see what I wrote was a joke, then you need to take your flame goggles of when reading internet forums. My joke didn't contain squat of whatever 'racing vs drifting' secret message you managed to read from between the lines.
#73 - SamH
..and with that, I see that the descent into personal attacks, defensive over-sensitivity and generally polarised, disparate viewpoints has begun.

Congratulations to everyone.. we've all arrived at the finish line together. Thread closed
This thread is closed

Speed Drifting vs. Show Drifting
(73 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG