The online racing simulator
Windows Vista
(84 posts, started )

Poll : Which windows is better?

Microsoft Windows XP Pro or Home
Microsoft Windows Vista
I think you could get it to work on slower computers if you turned off some of the useless services and graphic effects. We managed to get Windows XP to run quite nicely on an 11 year old computer with a 200 Mhz processor, 80 MB of RAM and a 2 MB graphics card after turning off some unnecessary services and all the fancy effects.

Vista Basic Home (x86) [RTM build 6600] is running quite happily on my wifes Athlon 2000+ with 512meg RAM and a GeForce 5200.

OK, so Aero dont work, but wtf?
I am gonna buy it soon so I will see if its better than XP.
#54 - MR_B
Long live Windows 98! (no, 95 was gay)
In my humble opinion:

Microsoft are a bunch of (probably quite intelligent) idiots. They have absolutely no idea about what people want. I couldn't give a sh!t what the OS looks like.

All I want in an OS:

To be able to browse files and folders.
To be able to run any of todays programs.
To be able to do these things QUICKLY.

What I don't want in an OS:

To be constantly plaged with pop-up messeages and menus.
Pointless Wizards and Help programs popping up whenever I click anything, or sometimes when I don't click anything.
Pointless Wizards and Help programs popping up whenever I click anything, or sometimes when I don't click anything.
Pointless eye candy.
Pointless eye candy.
Pointless eye candy.
Pointless eye candy.
For things to freeze after asking it to open My Documents.
For things to freeze after asking it to open My Computer.
For things to freeze after asking it to open Anything.
The requirement of having a TechnoXTREME 999000000 series PC, costing 5 million quid, with 3 million terrabytes of RAM, just to check my emails.
The requirement of having a TechnoXTREME 999000000 series PC, costing 5 million quid, with 3 million terrabytes of RAM, just to type a letter.
The requirement of having a TechnoXTREME 999000000 series PC, costing 5 million quid, with 3 million terrabytes of RAM, just to log on to www.lfsforum.net.

The best OS (yes I know it's not actually an OS, but my point, see my point) I have used is Task Manager. I can end explorer.exe, and Task Manager will still allow me to do everything I want (load LFS, load Word, load Firefox etc). I can browse files and folders in most programs anyway.
#56 - MR_B
^ I'd like to add - To not auto-reset my pc whenever i try to open a window after minimizing it to the Fart Bar!
Then good luck when building your Gentoo ... :wave2:
Quote from Jakg :thats the beta, and come next year it will stop working...

Most likely its the RTM which has been floating around the net for a while now. Vista has been out of beta for a few months.

To the kid who seems to know nothing about computers (other than cut&paste) that posted above me:

If you know how to properly setup Vista or even XP you won't get pop-ups, wizards, or freezing. The eye candy can be removed, and even a P.O.S. computer can run it. But if you want to run "any of todays programs" and "QUICKLY" a faster computer always helps. So you might want to consider that TechnoXTREME 999000000 series PC, i bet it'd be cheaper than 5 million quid on newegg.

Oh, and Task Manager isn't an OS.
Quote from MadCatX :Then good luck when building your Gentoo ... :wave2:

lol, i was gonna suggest linux, but he said he wants it to "run any of todays programs."

if he cant configure windows, linux would be a long shot.

Quote from MR_B :^ I'd like to add - To not auto-reset my pc whenever i try to open a window after minimizing it to the Fart Bar!

When it auto-resets like that, it means it crashed. Disable the auto-reset and read the actuall error so you can fix it.
Quote from c0nv1ct :Most likely its the RTM which has been floating around the net for a while now. Vista has been out of beta for a few months.

To the kid who seems to know nothing about computers (other than cut&paste) that posted above me:

If you know how to properly setup Vista or even XP you won't get pop-ups, wizards, or freezing. The eye candy can be removed, and even a P.O.S. computer can run it. But if you want to run "any of todays programs" and "QUICKLY" a faster computer always helps. So you might want to consider that TechnoXTREME 999000000 series PC, i bet it'd be cheaper than 5 million quid on newegg.

Oh, and Task Manager isn't an OS.

Lol, I know Task Manager isn't an OS. The point that I was trying to make was that I don't even need windows explorer running in order to use my computer. Understand now?

I have as many features and pop-ups etc turned off. But some you still can't turn off (getting rid of stupid messages when you hold your cursor still). Plus, it's the task of actually having to find out out to disable them that ticks me off anyway. Oh, and what makes it more stupid, is when someone brings out a quick computer, Microsoft feels the need to make an OS which is more resource hungry, so that it counteracts having a faster PC. illepall

Its the same situation with everything today. Instead of making cars lighter and better to drive, they are making them heavier (stuffing them with pointless electronic stuff like how aggressive you want the gear-changes to be), and are having to compensate with bigger, more powerful engines.illepall

Mobiles are the same too. Instead on concentrating on things that matter, like the sound quality, ease of use, etc, they stuff them with loads of functions like mp3 players and camera's etc.

P.S. Do you WORK for Microsoft or something? Because I can't think why you would defend it like that.

Edit: I noticed you called me a "kid". My avatar is not actually me you know.
Quote from c0nv1ct :When it auto-resets like that, it means it crashed. Disable the auto-reset and read the actuall error so you can fix it.

Error: 0119500043940

Ah, it makes so much sense now. Such a helpful piece of information.
#62 - MR_B
Someone needs to come off of their high horse :P
Quote from Bladerunner :LFS is still fine, but a bit slower on Vista (x64) than XP ... only ~70fps instead of 150fps+

"a bit" ? illepall
Quote from DaveWS :Error: 0119500043940

Ah, it makes so much sense now. Such a helpful piece of information.

That's not what a windows error looks like. It tells you what type of error, where it occured, and what caused it. Then you use a wonderful tool called Google to solve it.

Information is useless if you aren't smart enough to know how to use it.

To get back on topic. I think Vista will be better than XP, but not until its first service pack. By then most software will support it. I'll wait a few months atleast before purchasing it.
Vista OEM doesn't come with any installation media, and can be installed only once, by licenced companies. Therefore if your hard disk goes kaput, you have to take your computer to some repair that sells MicroSoft, buy a new license and let they install it for you, and pay for the work too. OEM's cost under 100€ but can be bought only if you buy new pc, or x amount of components (mb+cpu...) at least. Retail versions (besides home basic that's 120 €) cost from 200 to 450 €, and installation media is included.

Really stupid and will cause some negative feedback.
At least when somebody writes a virus that will spread like lovsan did, and would force to reinstall Vista...
#67 - JTbo
Quote from frokki :Vista OEM doesn't come with any installation media, and can be installed only once, by licenced companies. Therefore if your hard disk goes kaput, you have to take your computer to some repair that sells MicroSoft, buy a new license and let they install it for you, and pay for the work too. Retail versions (besides home basic that's 120 €) are from 200 to 450 €, but installation media is included.

This is against law in here I think, there was few cases where computers were sold without installation media and court decided that computer must come with installation media so you can install operating system again, will be interesting to see how it goes if that is way MS is going to handle things.
Quote from frokki :Vista OEM doesn't come with any installation media, and can be installed only once, by licenced companies. Therefore if your hard disk goes kaput, you have to take your computer to some repair that sells MicroSoft, buy a new license and let they install it for you, and pay for the work too. OEM's cost under 100€ but can be bought only if you buy new pc, or x amount of components (mb+cpu...) at least. Retail versions (besides home basic that's 120 €) cost from 200 to 450 €, and installation media is included.

Really stupid and will cause some negative feedback.
At least when somebody writes a virus that will spread like lovsan did, and would force to reinstall Vista...

That's false information to my knowledge. MS did try to force only one install/transer per Vista license (XP license is limited to 50), but public uproar made them change their policy.

Though... I care about Vista as much as a pimple in Peter Jackson's butt, so my memory might give the ol' 'access fault error'.
Quote from spankmeyer :XP license is limited to 50

Are you sure about that ? I have XP HOME SP2 PL ( polish ) and I am scared when reading this.
I'm somewhat sure of that, but all it means you gotta phone Microsoft's product activation number when you go past 50 activations. Your XP won't become a paperweight in the near future, don't worry.
Thanks
Vista may be coming to my PC after a major upgrade or new build in a few months time, but only if have a need to ie. DX10, only if the compatibility bugs are sorted and only if there's no third party way to run DX10 on XP. I'll run my Vista just like I run my XP, all visual options to the lowest settings, no pop ups etc.

Vista doesn't offer any eye candy/gadget type advantages over XP, I've tried a lot of them for free and most worth memory hogs and the rest annoying things that you'll soon fall out with.
Quote from spankmeyer :That's false information to my knowledge. MS did try to force only one install/transer per Vista license (XP license is limited to 50), but public uproar made them change their policy.

Ok, but anyway you need to take your computer to service if you want to legally reinstall your OEM Vista..
I know that the Vista Ultimate retail version allows reinstalls. But OEM version i'm not sure about. But if you have an OEM version from buying a retail PC from DELL/HP/etc, the disk will likely just be a re-imaging tool, not an actual Vista OEM disk. Re-imaging shouldn't be a problem.

So, if you build your own PC, and buy an OEM version with it. The smart thing to do would be to make a norton ghost image, or something similar, after you install and activate it.

Its extra work that should be unecessary for a home PC. They are just making things more difficult for legitimate owners, while pirated copies will not have issues with this at all.
#75 - JTbo
I did read that Vista will call home to check that it is legal several times in a some perioid of time, I think it was week, but not sure. Nice, more uncontrollable network traffic and if you don't have internet then what?

Really hope that this is not the case

Windows Vista
(84 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG