The online racing simulator
Windows Vista
(84 posts, started )

Poll : Which windows is better?

Microsoft Windows XP Pro or Home
Microsoft Windows Vista
#26 - JTbo
Quote from MadCatX :Actually I supposed that Vista will be significantly slower than XP. So I was surprised that beta of them was generally as fast as XP - depends on what do you mean by "speed of OS". And if you realize that in my XP were about 35 processes running, instead of Vistas 50, it wasnt a bad result. I wonder how Vista runs on some brand new Core2 with faster RAM - my crappy P4, which ran at 3,2GHz when I tested Vista, wasnt proper "testing tool".

At time when Windows 98 were new I did build new upgraded computer and back then w98 was bit heavy and did not offer much new over w95, I then decided to test how fast windows 3.11 is in that system, it was amazing, what ever you did click it opened immediately, it was very fast, same could be with w95&w98 in current system I think so now those are at performance level what I would like to get.

Sure there is new features coming and sooner or later it is required to get this new os again to get some game or new hardware to work as nobody don't support older operting systems anymore and everything requires that there is those new features.

In our world consuming has become important value, which is sad, you have to get new this and that, even old would be very usable, we waste resources, pollute enviroment and only because have to get new this and that, this troubles me greatly, people have forgotten why they need some stuff, they just have to get it because there is now new version/color/model. It is not limited to computers, but just everything.
Why is this, why don't we think a bit more and question if it is really needed?

Sorry about this O/T stuff again, got 'bit' carried away
Good post JTbo.

MS copied a lot of cool OSX features into Vista and I bet the overbearing slugginess of OSX got in there too. I'm sticking with Nlite'd XP.
Been running Vista for some time now (betas, RC's, and finally RTM version), and must say that although it is a resource hog, it has a much nicer 'feel' to it than XP...might very well be the "SHINY NU BTTNZ" syndrome, but I have found that once you have delved into the various tweaks, then it IS faster than XP, and a lot more stable.
Besides, I somehow think that XP will not be able to run DX10, although havent had any firm confirmation yet... and if S3 is _that_ far in the future, maybe Eric is already looking at DX10 for some k00l weather effects!
I had a go at using Vista a while back in the form of Beta 2. The first time with my old PC, non-raid PATA, 1 GB Dual-DDR @ 333 MHz, 32-bit Barton 2500+, GF FX 5200 128 MB 8x AGP. It was dog slow to install, started to page rather quickly and with Aero almost unusable. If I was still using the aforementioned system I'd jump off of a very tall building before using Vista with it.

With my newer system it doesn't run too bad with Aero, but after looking at the fancy effects for 5 mins I turned it off anyway. My idea of an OS is an abstractor, a facilitator; not the whipped cream and cherry topping on vanilla ice cream (yummy). Currently I see nothing in Vista that would make me want to change to it. I can run 64 and 32-bit apps, anything I need and want to do with my XP installation. Security of course is a major reason to switch to Vista, but then again I can't remember the last time I've had a virus problem. One game does crash the entire PC occasionally, but that's just a bug-fix for the game..

So, I don't see me migrating to Vista until I have no choice. If there's one thing that I keep having nasty flashbacks of from using Vista, it's confirmation dialogs. They are really, really annoying.
#30 - JTbo
Quote from NotAnIllusion :
So, I don't see me migrating to Vista until I have no choice. If there's one thing that I keep having nasty flashbacks of from using Vista, it's confirmation dialogs. They are really, really annoying.

BONG Windows has halted system, post to LFS forum detected do you wan't to allow posting to LFS forum to continue 'yes'
BONG are you really sure 'yes'
BONG windows has protected your privacy and halted posting LFS forum you may continue at your own risk 'yes'
BONG posting to LFS forum succesfully terminated Access violation in common sense module
BONG Windows needs to restart to recover from error.

Something along those lines I believe? I think there should be soon update to Windows RG edition :P
Oh, c'mooon! How can one compare two products, when most ppl have been using one for years (and may have got to know it inside out) but the other for a much much shorter period of time?

Meh..
#33 - JTbo
Quote from r4ptor :Oh, c'mooon! How can one compare two products, when most ppl have been using one for years (and may have got to know it inside out) but the other for a much much shorter period of time?

Meh..

Rather easily, same way if you drive old Fiat Punto and you get test drive of Ferrari, now Punto might be bit old and not so great to look and drive, but it is damn good tool for shopping, where ferrari sure is powerful stylish car, but you don't like to look parking lot with it and certainly you can't fit kids, wife and week's shoppings on it.

Vista is like Ferrari that is being used to go for shopping, it just is not most efficient tool for job
I really can't see anything better in Vista. Just the new wonderful design.

First, we started with button changing color, when clicked. Then we got new supercool 3D buttons!! Now our buttons are again changing color!

Oh, and one more thing - people wanting Windows Classic theme removed are..
Rainy Day for teh win.

Was fine in 3.1, haven't changed since.
I voted Vista..a lot of the stuff under the skin has changed for the better. But its definately a more evolutionary release rather than revolutionary like ME -> XP was (unless you was upgrading from W2K anyway). Doesn't matter either way, it'll be forced onto every new PC and anyone wanting to play DX10 games will have no choice but to upgrade. I think not backporting DX10 to XP is a big mistake, they've basically extended the life of DX9 for another good couple of years until most people have dumped XP.

The new interface looks nice for all of 10 mins, but I ended up back on Classic, just like XP. Once some Windowblinds themes are better optimized for Vista that could lead to some nice usable themes that don't waste all your screen space.
I just love how M$ said it was a complete re-write from scratch so that all the old bugs were no longer relevant and everything was much better adjusted to everything else in Windows...

Then we get the first vulnerability for Vista... And guess what? The same bug exists in XP and 2000 and NT... What do they mean, complete re-write from scratch?
I've heard that half of the new features in Windows Vista like the Aero interface will only be available in the non-home editions of the system, so it seems a bit pointless.
just buy ultimate then, the complete package....
Quote from niffer022 :just buy ultimate then, the complete package....

Doesn't it cost over £400?
Quote from Chris758 :Doesn't it cost over £400?

PC World (supposedly) are offering a Vista Premium upgrade with ALL new computers...so If you buy a new box at PCW then you qualify for a cheap upgrade and free psychiatric care (for shopping at PCW! )
Quote from Chris758 :Doesn't it cost over £400?

the upgrade costs £250 or you can buy the gull version for £360

tbh iv been using vista for a long time and iv had nothing but blue screens and endless software compatability issue's... LFS been one of them....

im off back to xp and ill wait till vista comes down to £70 like xp is before i spend money on it....
Quote from niffer022 :
tbh iv been using vista for a long time and iv had nothing but blue screens and endless software compatability issue's... LFS been one of them....

im off back to xp and ill wait till vista comes down to £70 like xp is before i spend money on it....

Have almost forgotten what a blue screen looks like!! ALL the software I run (with ONE exception) runs OK...LFS is still fine, but a bit slower on Vista (x64) than XP ... only ~70fps instead of 150fps+, but I put that down to unfinished graphic card drivers and 'only' 1gig RAM.

Most _good_ games run very well on vista, and there are usually patches available to upgrade the game to take advantage of 64bit .. notably Neverwinter Nights 2, Unreal Tournament 2006, Far Cry, and F.E.A.R.
As a final note...just look at the screenies of Flight Sim X running on DirectX 10 and then tell me XP is better!
fear and ghost recon fun fine, but for some reason LFS keeps crashing... all windows updates and lastest gfx drivers.... but still have problems.... it keeps happening when the sidebar stops working.... iv just put in directx 10 december edition but still have problems.

my card runs at 92fps

my system is more than capable of running this..

iv had 5 blue screens of death this week, all with LFS
Perhaps its the new version of DirectX that's causing the problem.
Quote from JTbo :
Vista is like Ferrari that is being used to go for shopping, it just is not most efficient tool for job

Looking at the replies, it seems this Ferrari may have engine problems - besides, you missed my point and forgot that there are more kinds of jobs.

I would say I'm in the cab business - so Vista being a Ferrari isn't bad at all for me :P
I got Vista from a PC User CD with all of the software free
#48 - Jakg
thats the beta, and come next year it will stop working...
#50 - Jakg
no it doesnt, my dad has a 2.2 GHz CPU and it ran fine

(Ok, it was an AMD!)

Windows Vista
(84 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG